Author Topic: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]  (Read 2708189 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #2150 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 09:39:18 »
In curly brackets right before the legend (which is in quotes), separated by a comma. If you could post your KLE, I could show you exactly how to do it.

Sweet thanks, here's my bottom row

Code: [Select]
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25},"",{a:4,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]
I want to not only flip the spacebar stabs, but also keep the default so in case I find a PCB that has the other orientation I can still keep using the same plate.
Subscribe to MechMerlin: https://goo.gl/idUy33
Latest Video: https://goo.gl/SkbyTx

GMK Cerulean Sage IC: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95019.0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2151 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:31:43 »
In curly brackets right before the legend (which is in quotes), separated by a comma. If you could post your KLE, I could show you exactly how to do it.

[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25},"",{a:4,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]
I want to not only flip the spacebar stabs, but also keep the default so in case I find a PCB that has the other orientation I can still keep using the same plate.

It is easy to flip the spacebar stabilizer with {a:7,w:6.25,_rs:180},"".  While it is possible to have two different stabilizer cutouts by superimposing two keys on top of each other (http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/pro-tips/#support-multiple-layouts), I definitely would not recommend it.  If you have more than one stabilizer configuration for a specific key, then neither stabilizer will click in correctly and is likely to move around.  I would strongly recommend that you only have one stabilizer configuration per key.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2152 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:56:09 »

It is easy to flip the spacebar stabilizer with {a:7,w:6.25,_rs:180},"".  While it is possible to have two different stabilizer cutouts by superimposing two keys on top of each other (http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/pro-tips/#support-multiple-layouts), I definitely would not recommend it.  If you have more than one stabilizer configuration for a specific key, then neither stabilizer will click in correctly and is likely to move around.  I would strongly recommend that you only have one stabilizer configuration per key.

That is a very good point. Do you think I'd have issues even with screw in stabs?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2153 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:58:05 »

That is a very good point. Do you think I'd have issues even with screw in stabs?

If you are using PCB mount stabilizers, you should be fine.  I was thinking specifically for plate mounted stabilizers.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2154 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 10:12:20 »
Thank you very much!

Another question, when opened up in LibreCad and saved in the 2007 file format, the measurements are actually 94.92mm by 285.37 instead of 95.252 mm by 285.752 mm on the swillkb website. This is when creating a pok3r plate. What is the correct measurement?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2155 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:23:22 »
Thank you very much!

Another question, when opened up in LibreCad and saved in the 2007 file format, the measurements are actually 94.92mm by 285.37 instead of 95.252 mm by 285.752 mm on the swillkb website. This is when creating a pok3r plate. What is the correct measurement?

I would have to look into that one.  It could be that kerf is messing with my calculation on the site, but I would expect it to be consistent in terms of how the two numbers are different in both dimensions, so that doesn't seem like it would be the case.   

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2156 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:28:37 »
Thank you very much!

I would have to look into that one.  It could be that kerf is messing with my calculation on the site, but I would expect it to be consistent in terms of how the two numbers are different in both dimensions, so that doesn't seem like it would be the case.   

Are you use custom polygons at all?  Do any of them overlap the outer edge of the plate?  I am wondering if I am not updating the bounds correctly (how I calculate the width and height) after the final operations (ie: cut | add) on the custom polygons.  I will have to dig into this a bit.  Anything special you were doing?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2157 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:52:31 »
As a test this is what I did, and I got the same results

1. Load 60% default on KLE
2. Copy and paste RAW into swillkb
3. Choose Pok3r
4. MX switch with cutouts and Cherry stabs ONLY
5. Change plate corner to 2 mm
6. Draw CAD and download .dxf
7. Open up dxf in latest LibreCad and save in DXF 2007 file format after verifying that units are in mm.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2158 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:56:54 »
As a test this is what I did, and I got the same results

1. Load 60% default on KLE
2. Copy and paste RAW into swillkb
3. Choose Pok3r
4. MX switch with cutouts and Cherry stabs ONLY
5. Change plate corner to 2 mm
6. Draw CAD and download .dxf
7. Open up dxf in latest LibreCad and save in DXF 2007 file format after verifying that units are in mm.
Cool. I will give it a shot to see what I can come up with. Thanks for describing the steps to reproduce.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline KHAANNN

Re: ORDER NOW!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #2159 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 01:04:12 »
Hope you don't mind me asking but how did you find shipito? Read some pretty bad reviews for them but I am aware that with any big companies, there's going to be some bad reviews. Currently I've been using viabox - mainly because their shipping fees are so cheap. But it's always good to have other options.

Sorry I missed this, yeah Shipito was pretty good, no issues, tho I got 4 wheels via them, and one of the wheels was slightly bumped during shipping, I never got the issue solved, but I blame DHL, as I've opened a claim, but their claim process is designed to lock the customer in a loop of no result, I repeatedly tried but couldn't learn the result of the claim - so small unrelated information, if you ever get something damaged in shipping, you're doomed

------

I've been looking for a new project, and I decided to make it a Swillkb+Lasergist one, it's going to be a modified 60%, can't decide whether to use a PCB or hand-wire it

I really like the new "Top Layer"ed design, on paper, any actual build photos using the design? Searched quickly but came up empty
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Atredl

« Reply #2160 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 03:17:28 »

I've been looking for a new project, and I decided to make it a Swillkb+Lasergist one, it's going to be a modified 60%, can't decide whether to use a PCB or hand-wire it

I really like the new "Top Layer"ed design, on paper, any actual build photos using the design? Searched quickly but came up empty

Here’s one I built with top layers. They’re 1/8 inch steel plates and they come pretty close the the perfect height.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2161 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 05:22:48 »
Wow, thanks for sharing, that's incredible, nice screw cutouts/inlets too

I was wondering how just 2 middle layers, 4.5mm counting the plate layer, could be enough to get all those components inside, now I see that it's intended to be used with standoffs

Probably if the middle layer sizes could be increased for Lasergist, it could work without the standoffs too

For me the ideal height is as close to the desk as possible - on the other hand - there seems to be a good collection of M3 standoffs in Aliexpress too

Edit: Wow, discovered this now: http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/features/#custom-polygons - We didn't have such features and documentation back in the day :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 July 2018, 05:31:49 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2162 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 03:00:30 »
Feedback

I was like, daaamn, how's lasergist so cheap, 5 plate pieces for $66, incredible

Turns out, when you get an on-site quote for lasergist manufacturing for a sandwich case, the default quantities for plates other than the switch layer are 0, I think they should be 1, $228 is more like it, I wouldn't want my custom to be that cheap (!) :)

------

Edit: Is there a way to easily extend a Poker 60% plate's "Edge Paddings" - Currently that option is only for Sandwich cases, but I like to add 1-2mm of extra spaces to my Poker 60% plates so they fill the cases more evenly, back in the day, used to do this manually, but I just want to order a plate from Lasergist now

Edit 2: It seems possible from Javascript Console with: `oldf=submit_draw_form`+`function submit_draw_form(){ data['top-padding']=10; oldf(); }` - The default ~-0.1875 paddings can be overwritten
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 July 2018, 03:19:21 by KHAANNN »

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #2163 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 05:37:12 »
I have a question, do all kind of stabs (PCB screw-in stabs, PCB snap-in stabs, and plate mount stabs) all use the same cutout in the plate?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2164 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 17:01:59 »
Anybody have advice for building a Phantom sandwich case with the tool? searches inside the topic didn't result in a confirmed answer to spacing or anyone actually doing it. wanted to build a case with custom dimensions and layout. I have like 2 Phantom PCBs just laying around (i've already built 4 of them) , and they are probably becoming resistant to soldering sitting in the open air.

----

I have a question, do all kind of stabs (PCB screw-in stabs, PCB snap-in stabs, and plate mount stabs) all use the same cutout in the plate?

from my understanding the tool does not support pcb stabs, plate only

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2165 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 17:57:38 »
Yes. The cutouts work for all types of stabilizers. If you know you are using plate mounted stabilizers, then choose the Cherry Only cutout because the clip is located at the top where the extra cutout is for the all in one cutout. For PCB mount, you can use either.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2166 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 18:07:03 »
Anybody have advice for building a Phantom sandwich case with the tool? searches inside the topic didn't result in a confirmed answer to spacing or anyone actually doing it. wanted to build a case with custom dimensions and layout. I have like 2 Phantom PCBs just laying around (i've already built 4 of them) , and they are probably becoming resistant to soldering sitting in the open air.

----

from my understanding the tool does not support pcb stabs, plate only
Careful. I don't think the KLE tool has the right spacing for a TKL board with a PCB. You will want to measure between the same point on two keys that are next to each other to confirm that they are 19mm apart. Then measure between two keys which are across the gap and figure out the fraction of a key which makes up the gap. Keep in mind that you will probably want to use the f12 and print screen keys as it will simplify the calculation as they are both 1u keys which are next to the gap.

If that doesn't make sense I can explain it better when I am at my computer.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2167 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 20:19:36 »
Need to get a better measurement tool on amazon. I have a phantom and quickfire plate around im sure I can figure this out eventually

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Light_

« Reply #2168 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 18:13:05 »
Great work on the interface! But no option for lasergist sandblasting? Also can't select the option {_s:0} to remove the stabilizer for the one 2u key in my board. Used Costar Only {_s:3} instead.

Was able to get the CAD generated by editing the page with Chrome.
<option value="0">Remove Stabilizer {_s:0}</option>
Would still like to see sandblasting option.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 September 2018, 10:30:54 by Light_ »

Offline Cadriel

« Reply #2169 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 21:26:40 »
Hey; just wanted to say, fantastic tool. Thanks for putting in the effort!

I noticed what might be a bug today. I attempted to put in a -0.3mm padding on all sides - and the dimensions listed at the bottom of the page after the CAD is drawn were not changing - although the render and dxf was showing the change.

Online RealLaugh

« Reply #2170 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 12:35:49 »
seems like http://builder.swillkb.com/ is down or at least i get "site can't be reached / connection reset" message in Chrome after timeout.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2171 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 19:51:49 »
seems like http://builder.swillkb.com/ is down or at least i get "site can't be reached / connection reset" message in Chrome after timeout.
Thank you. I will look into it.