Author Topic: soldering an ergodox  (Read 1867 times)

Offline micceo

soldering an ergodox
« on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 23:16:41 »
Hi,

I am about to start soldering the ergodox. As opposed to waiting for massdrop, i accumulated the parts myself from the ergodox site. I have a hakko fx-888d soldering iron. Do i need any other tips or will i be able to do the smd with the default tip. I have a pair of tweezers and wire cutters. Do I need any other equipment?

Thanks,
Mic

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Re: soldering an ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 00:05:54 »
Put some solder on the pad, align smd component to the pad with the solder, heat up solder and put down said component, do the other side of the pad (very easy to do as you have one side of the pad with solder holding the component), TA DA!

I'd recommend using tweezers yes, sometimes I use pliers (Very small tip)

For the soldering iron tip, idk but I did smd with the default tip on a fx888d

Offline feizor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 02:29:10 »
Hi,

I am about to start soldering the ergodox. As opposed to waiting for massdrop, i accumulated the parts myself from the ergodox site. I have a hakko fx-888d soldering iron. Do i need any other tips or will i be able to do the smd with the default tip. I have a pair of tweezers and wire cutters. Do I need any other equipment?

Thanks,
Mic

Maybe solder, flux and a desoldering pump, in case you make a mistake. Stock tip should be sufficient.

Offline micceo

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 02:33:00 »
Thanks!!

I will get those and try to embark on this journey!! I understand the pump, but where do we need to use the flux in ergodox?

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 03:03:20 »
afaik it can help with reflowing a joint or cleaning corroded stuff (which shouldn't be an issue with new parts).

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 04:25:36 »
If you're hand soldering the smd stuff, you can use tack flux to better hold the smd and makes your solder flow nicer. Flux makes everything better when soldering.
I got boards.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 07:39:15 »
For the tip, I'm not sure exactly which if any extra tips come with yours, but I usually use a decently sized chisel tip, sometimes a smaller one if needed, but always chisel.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 11:02:51 »
If you're hand soldering the smd stuff, you can use tack flux to better hold the smd and makes your solder flow nicer. Flux makes everything better when soldering.

Then again I've never used flux, save for the rosin core of my solder, so it's possible to go without. It can't hurt though.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:11:59 »
For the tip, I'm not sure exactly which if any extra tips come with yours, but I usually use a decently sized chisel tip, sometimes a smaller one if needed, but always chisel.

Yeah you definitely want a chisel tip for SMD stuff, my hakko came in a package deal with a chisel tip so I am assuming you already have one.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 10:45:41 »
We have a thread here with plenty of information about soldering and is a good place for soldering inquiries:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42824.0
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing