Author Topic: [IC]GMK Triumph Adler [LIVE!!!!]  (Read 177437 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [IC]GMK Triumph Adler [Cleared for takeoff, finalizing colors]
« Reply #650 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:45:24 »
The new color is going to look much worse after it yellows I’m guessing.

Except for the part where that won't happen...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #651 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:46:20 »

Because no more bromination.  Yay!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #652 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:46:56 »

:llama:

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #653 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 01:27:50 »
The new color is going to look much worse after it yellows I�m guessing.

Are modern ABS formulations more resistant to UV damage?

Offline tbc

« Reply #654 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 01:49:34 »
please believe me when i say that for once, i'm not trying to troll here.

but wouldn't the best way be to include ONE padded win95 and ONE doubleshot win8?  afterwards, people just trade the one they dom't want for one they do.

no, i'm not trying to say that intelli should seriously consider this for this MD buy, but food for thought yes?
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 01:51:33 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #655 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 03:17:17 »

but wouldn't the best way be to include ONE padded win95 and ONE doubleshot win8?  afterwards, people just trade the one they dom't want for one they do.

no, i'm not trying to say that intelli should seriously consider this for this MD buy, but food for thought yes?

It's a cute idea but it would be a disaster in practice.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #656 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 03:24:47 »

It's a cute idea but it would be a disaster in practice.

Yeah people on MD would probably lose their ****.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #657 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 03:59:57 »
The guys duplicating the color after it has yellowed to teal are being silly. The original bluer color was really fantastic (I looked at the bottom of a cap). The new color is going to look much worse after it yellows I’m guessing.

Got a source on that? I’ve seen originally white ABS keycaps from circa 2010 which were yellowed to a nice orange color, presumably due to BFRs in the plastic mix. I know the EU bans certain uses of BFRs, but I’m not sure use in ABS keycaps falls into any of those. Does GMK have a statement about not using flame retardants in their plastic anymore? Google turns up zero sources with any information about GMK and yellowing plastic.

Anyway, I still maintain the original blue color of those Adler keycaps is quite a bit nicer than the yellowed version, though it has certainly aged better than many other ABS colors from the 80s.

Either way, the marketing copy on keychatter.com is super silly, even after you get past the first few Fifty Shades of Gray paragraphs: “thanks to a serendipitous flaw in the plastic mixture, they aged over time to a beautiful teal color [...] After long negotiations, GMK, a German electronic design firm that now owns the original Cherry keycap molds and manufacturing equipment, has agreed to produce 100% authentic replicas of the Triumph Adler Dario 286 keycap set. Because GMK has to carefully mix and replicate the unique teal granulate [...]”.

(a) This isn’t a “serendipitous flaw”, it’s just the totally normal expected behavior of BFR-filled ABS plastics. (b) This revival is obviously not a “100% authentic replica”. (c)  “Granulate” isn’t even a noun... wtf is a “unique teal granulate”?

All the best to all you “goth sex man-god politician and keycap deities” out there though.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 04:14:38 by jacobolus »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #658 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 04:22:02 »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #659 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 05:35:54 »
Great way of solving the winkey dilemma Intelli  :thumb:

Now the only "problem" left for me is to decide whether to buy 1 or 2 sets :p

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #660 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 11:39:10 »
Buy a White/Blue set
Buy a UV lamp
Throw UVs on that set
???
Profit
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #661 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 12:21:41 »
The guys duplicating the color after it has yellowed to teal are being silly. The original bluer color was really fantastic (I looked at the bottom of a cap). The new color is going to look much worse after it yellows I’m guessing.

Got a source on that? I’ve seen originally white ABS keycaps from circa 2010 which were yellowed to a nice orange color, presumably due to BFRs in the plastic mix. I know the EU bans certain uses of BFRs, but I’m not sure use in ABS keycaps falls into any of those. Does GMK have a statement about not using flame retardants in their plastic anymore? Google turns up zero sources with any information about GMK and yellowing plastic.

Anyway, I still maintain the original blue color of those Adler keycaps is quite a bit nicer than the yellowed version, though it has certainly aged better than many other ABS colors from the 80s.

Either way, the marketing copy on keychatter.com is super silly, even after you get past the first few Fifty Shades of Gray paragraphs: “thanks to a serendipitous flaw in the plastic mixture, they aged over time to a beautiful teal color [...] After long negotiations, GMK, a German electronic design firm that now owns the original Cherry keycap molds and manufacturing equipment, has agreed to produce 100% authentic replicas of the Triumph Adler Dario 286 keycap set. Because GMK has to carefully mix and replicate the unique teal granulate [...]”.

(a) This isn’t a “serendipitous flaw”, it’s just the totally normal expected behavior of BFR-filled ABS plastics. (b) This revival is obviously not a “100% authentic replica”. (c)  “Granulate” isn’t even a noun... wtf is a “unique teal granulate”?

All the best to all you “goth sex man-god politician and keycap deities” out there though.

You can get the closer-to-authentic sky blue mods from this buy once it's live. I also like the authentic blue of the TA Dario 286, but I want this kit anyway. I haven't decided if I'll also grab an Olivetti kit for the CP/V4 alphas, but you can find it here and combine it with the N5 mods to get a fresher TA Dario 286 replica.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #662 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 13:01:45 »

You can get the closer-to-authentic sky blue mods from this buy once it's live. I also like the authentic blue of the TA Dario 286, but I want this kit anyway. I haven't decided if I'll also grab an Olivetti kit for the CP/V4 alphas, but you can find it here and combine it with the N5 mods to get a fresher TA Dario 286 replica.

The N5 mods only have enough keys for 60% keyboard.

Offline cjhard

« Reply #663 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 13:18:19 »
Oh whoops... I forget I'm a minority. Sorry, I don't have any solutions for fullsize folks :(

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #664 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 14:09:06 »
Oh whoops... I forget I'm a minority. Sorry, I don't have any solutions for fullsize folks :(

For TKL, you can buy the N5 mods set, 8 N5 esc, 4 N5 wasd set, 1 N5 arror set.  Legend will be all messed up though.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #665 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:00:26 »

:confused:

One or two other people said at the beginning of the thread that I should have used bright blue. It made no sense then and it still doesn't now. Regardless of how the set looked when fresh, it's iconic and beautiful precisely because of the teal. The teal is the entire raison d'etre of the set. If you want to make GMK Raindrop, that's great, but it's not an alternative to this. It sounds like you just don't like teal, in which case this is definitely the wrong buy for you. (Correct solution: click "back")

Also, whether or not current GMK formulations will yellow (and I'll note I've never seen a GMK set that's yellowed in any way so far), that's not a problem exclusive to this GB. You might as well go into every other GMK thread and warn them their colors may not look good in the future. That would, of course, make no sense whatsoever--and you're not doing it--so why bring it up here?

Expected behavior or not, of course it was a serendipitous flaw, at least for anyone who finds beauty in the teal (again, if you don't, nobody is forcing you to join the buy). With a better formulation, it'd never have aged the way it did, and this only adds to the mystique of the set. And of course it's authentic, being manufactured on the original equipment.

As far as I can tell you just came here to be pedantic and grind an axe (? not sure why, I have never been anything but respectful to you). I hope it's out of your system and this post has cleared things up for you.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:08:37 by intelli78 »

Offline sirisaac1982

• The Answer is 42...
« Reply #666 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:12:00 »
I think this set looks great. With the intended colours. I'd be all over a GB for it. :thumb:

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #667 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:53:19 »
I think you’re mistaking my intended tone, which is mostly :P rather than  >:D

Since you anonymously quoted my comment from a totally different place with some movie screencap, I thought I’d reply. I don’t have any problem with your group buy here. I’m sure it’ll look lovely and all the people buying keycaps will greatly enjoy them. I personally like white and blue better than yellowish and teal, but the latter also has its charm. GMK makes great stuff, if a bit pricey.

Anyway, I’m honestly curious about the BFRs; there seem to be several people 100% convinced that the plastic blends GMK uses are BFR-free, different from the ones Cherry used to use, but I can’t find any evidence about it anywhere online. Has someone asked GMK about that, or is there some other good source?

[Finally, no, I’m not interested in buying any of these myself. I don’t even like Cherry switches or standard IBM layout keyboards. ;D]
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:57:35 by jacobolus »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #668 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 16:09:19 »
Fair enough.

I am interested to know as well. I'll ask next time I speak w them.

Offline jabbon

« Reply #669 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 16:17:24 »
I think you�re mistaking my intended tone, which is mostly :P rather than  >:D

Since you anonymously quoted my comment from a totally different place with some movie screencap, I thought I�d reply. I don�t have any problem with your group buy here. I�m sure it�ll look lovely and all the people buying keycaps will greatly enjoy them. I personally like white and blue better than yellowish and teal, but the latter also has its charm. GMK makes great stuff, if a bit pricey.

Anyway, I�m honestly curious about the BFRs; there seem to be several people 100% convinced that the plastic blends GMK uses are BFR-free, different from the ones Cherry used to use, but I can�t find any evidence about it anywhere online. Has someone asked GMK about that, or is there some other good source?

[Finally, no, I�m not interested in buying any of these myself. I don�t even like Cherry switches or standard IBM layout keyboards. ;D]

Interested on possible use of BFR by GMK?

Option1: Go and ask GMK for the document called "CE Declaration of Conformity" of the WEI KEyboards (GMK made). Check each of the "EU Directives" included and the harmonized standards used for the product, then go and review each of those standards looking for the specific Safety requirement regarding "flame retardants" and if by the time this standards were aplicable (basically the date in which the DoC was issued) it was mandatory to have a certain % of BFR on ABS made electronics. Then the BFR topic will be over.

Option2:  Ask GMK directly "guys do you use any flame retardant on your products?"

Option3:  Go and check REACH and its compliance requirements for BFR's and ABS.

Using GMK BFR in google, obviously, won't bring you any result...unless you know where to seach.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #670 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 16:32:24 »
Interested on possible use of BFR by GMK?

Option1: [...]
More
Go and ask GMK for the document called "CE Declaration of Conformity" of the WEI KEyboards (GMK made). Check each of the "EU Directives" included and the harmonized standards used for the product, then go and review each of those standards looking for the specific Safety requirement regarding "flame retardants" and if by the time this standards were aplicable (basically the date in which the DoC was issued) it was mandatory to have a certain % of BFR on ABS made electronics. Then the BFR topic will be over.

Option2:  Ask GMK directly "guys do you use any flame retardant on your products?"

Option3:  Go and check REACH and its compliance requirements for BFR's and ABS.

Using GMK BFR in google, obviously, won't bring you any result...unless you know where to seach.
All of your 3 options sound like a lot of work. I typed some quick queries into google because I was just slightly curious and I assumed, given the apparent certainty of several previous posters here, that there would be some prior discussion of this topic on geekhack or some similar venue, including an authoritative answer. I was surprised to not find one, but I don’t actually care enough to go research in depth. Anyway, y’all can feel free to ignore me now. I don’t plan to stick around this thread, since it’s not all that personally relevant to me.

Offline Den441

« Reply #671 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 22:56:15 »
Anyone who likes the original TA colors more should not let that affect their participation in this buy. I like the aged keys more for a number of reasons, but I still like the original TA colorway as well. I suggest those who like the original colorway keep watch on the GMK Uniqey site. Once that is up and running you should be able to order a keyboard from GMK with colors of your own choosing. I am planning on ordering one with the colors N5, V4, and 2M. I think that would get me a keyset that is close to what a brand new TA set would have looked like. This way I can it both ways with an aged teal set from this buy and original blue colored set from GMK Uniqey! Plus once Uniqey is running, you would be able to order standard color caps anytime....this buy is a one time deal.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #672 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 23:13:04 »
I suggest those who like the original colorway keep watch on the GMK Uniqey site. Once that is up and running you should be able to order a keyboard from GMK with colors of your own choosing.

Possibly. Unless you've heard something that the rest of us missed, as far as I was aware they'd only announced custom keyboards.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #673 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 02:58:48 »
I think this set looks great. With the intended colours. I'd be all over a GB for it. :thumb:

Had a second look of your colours on the FRONT page of this future Group Buy and I have to say very NICE indeed.

This takes me back to the glory days of these babies in the mid to late 80's.  This should be a real sweet GB if run, lots of beautiful keys to fill out 95% of keyboards out there.

PLEASE don't ever decide to offer any RGB colours, then it fails to be a Group Buy anymore, it then becomes a buy-in for real cheap bastards ONLY.  You've got a few GMK GB's degenerating into failed monstrosities of RGB and spacers instead of a successful full key-set.  Would rather have a completely failed GB then see it zombiefied into the walking RGB coloured dead >:( .

Offline kacase

• All things bright and beautiful.
    • 9di
« Reply #674 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 11:37:30 »
When is it expected to drop. Do we have any kind of ETA?
Orion V2 | Rama M65-A | Rama M67-A aka. Exent | Keycool TKL | Cherry MX Board 3.0

Offline Doppelganger

• Ducky DK9008G2 Pro, PBT dye subs - Cherry Browns
« Reply #675 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 12:55:45 »
The teal color in the final set & design render looks far lighter than the original it is meant to reproduce. Does it not? Maybe its just the lighting or the photos...
- There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #676 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 16:29:23 »
GMK renders are nowhere near color accurate. We will be matching a pantone color.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Doppelganger

« Reply #677 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:10:23 »
^ That is understandable, although I work in the design business and know there are Pantone colors that would better match the slightly darker teal hue of the original! I mean it is nice, I am just saying it's not a great match is all.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #678 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:23:14 »
if you think you have a good idea to contribute, feel free to elaborate

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #679 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:24:12 »
^ That is understandable, although I work in the design business and know there are Pantone colors that would better match the slightly darker teal hue of the original! I mean it is nice, I am just saying it's not a great match is all.

Unless you have the original in front of you, you can't really say that. 

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #680 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 17:47:01 »
Yea, throw out the color code for us, there's a good chance it is one of the ~15 or so color codes that intelli actually got samples of and reviewed personally/physically.
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline Doppelganger

« Reply #681 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 10:35:50 »
if you think you have a good idea to contribute, feel free to elaborate

I would have to get a Pantone book in front of me  ;D  I am sure you'd need physical samples though. It's one thing to pick a Pantone color out of a book and another to see it applied to the plastics in hand.

Then again, someone above made a good point by saying "if you don't have the original in front of you, you can't really say that".

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #682 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 11:18:51 »
oh, i thought you already have some samples since you said you work in design. intelli put a lot of work into securing a loaner board so he knows first hand exactly what the color looks like (variation in yellowing notwithstanding). that's why he has the trust of virtually everyone here, as you can see :P

Offline intelli78

« Reply #683 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:26:33 »
Beast update: 3 custom colors approved. Drop tentatively starting end of this upcoming week or next.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #684 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:29:53 »
Beast update: 3 custom colors approved. Drop tentatively starting end of this upcoming week or next.

**** just got real  :eek:

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #685 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:30:16 »

How long do you think the buy period will be open for? People are going to need recovery time after Hyperfuse

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #686 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:34:26 »

Sweet!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline intelli78

« Reply #687 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:38:14 »
How long do you think the buy period will be open for? People are going to need recovery time after Hyperfuse

Your wallet will have time to recover when it's dead.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #688 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:44:12 »

Incredible news!! Thanks for all your hard work, intelli!

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #689 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 15:20:27 »

Holy ****. This is it. It's happening.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #690 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 17:23:35 »

Your wallet will have time to recover when it's dead.
So glad I didn't pick up a third HyperFuse. Definitely gonna be getting 2 of these though.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #691 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 17:28:05 »

Is this going to run via massdrop?

In for a set for sure!  :thumb:

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #692 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 17:29:11 »

Yes, for this one we are going through massdrop to get the big numbers.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #693 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 17:31:03 »

Yes, for this one we are going through massdrop to get the big numbers.

Sweeeeeet! I've had nothing but good experiences in the 5 or 6 drops I've been a part of.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #694 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 16:12:42 »
OK guys solid news! I have FINALLY managed to close a deal to buy an original board, which gives us lots more flexibility! This one aged very nicely and when it arrives I am willing to send some of these caps to GMK for exact color matching, which we did not have permission to do with the loaner board.

As per the point that nubbinator has been making, this doesn't necessarily obligate us to copy all of the original colors, for example if we determine the alpha base shade isn't quite right, we can still adjust--

however--

doing a direct plastic-to-plastic match will be the most SURE way to go, and we will know EXACTLY what we are getting. This way there can be no surprises about the hue of the teal, or about the plastic version of the color looking different than the paper color chip.

Moar updates when I get the board!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC]GMK Triumph Adler [Still finalizing colors, another board acquired]
« Reply #695 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 16:14:49 »
Great news!

I thought I had used up all my hype for HyperfuseTM, but it's already back for this :p

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #696 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 16:17:50 »
OK guys solid news! I have FINALLY managed to close a deal to buy an original board, which gives us lots more flexibility! This one aged very nicely and when it arrives I am willing to send some of these caps to GMK for exact color matching, which we did not have permission to do with the loaner board.

As per the point that nubbinator has been making, this doesn't necessarily obligate us to copy all of the original colors, for example if we determine the alpha base shade isn't quite right, we can still adjust--

however--

doing a direct plastic-to-plastic match will be the most SURE way to go, and we will know EXACTLY what we are getting. This way there can be no surprises about the hue of the teal, or about the plastic version of the color looking different than the paper color chip.

I'm more excited than you can possibly imagine.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #697 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 17:35:56 »

however--

Holy crap this is big freaking news...

Offline cjhard

« Reply #698 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:32:42 »
Hey, if we reach a discount tier, can we get super cool Strg keys?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #699 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:43:58 »
Awesome, I'd say we go with the exact color match.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done