Author Topic: Hello from the Phillipines  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Sturmfrau

Hello from the Phillipines
« on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 20:10:26 »
I've actually been lurking for quite a while now and have had a few posts here and there but never did an introduction because I didn't feel like I belong cause back then I didn't have a mechanical keyboard of my own. That changes today though cause my HHKB Pro 2 just arrived today, so yay me!

As the title says, I'm from the Philippines and am actually wondering how many filipinos actually hang out here (I've only seen a few so far) and also wondering if we could get a Philippine community thread started.

Anyway, as for the HHKB when I opened it and pressed a key I immediately thought that it felt like a normal rubber dome keyboard but once I started typing I immediately felt the difference but as I've read, topre should have a tactile feel to it but I don't feel any.  :thumb: Layout's gonna take a while to get used to though, specially cause I have a blank hhkb.

|
HHKB Pro 2 Black (Blank) | HHKB Pro 2 White (Blank)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
Re: Hello from the Phillipines
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 20:37:30 »
Welcome, I hope the typhoon is not affecting you much!

Offline SpicyLobotomy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 20:39:56 »
Wow starting out with the HHKB Pro! It's a bold move Cotton lets see how it works out for him!  :p
"Squidward, I used your clarinet to unclog my toilet"

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do?"

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 20:53:46 »
Filipino here! WOOO!

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:09:01 »
Welcome, I hope the typhoon is not affecting you much!

It's actually not that bad in the capital. Just light rain with some strong winds. Although Filipino light rain can be considered heavy rain to people from other countries.

Wow starting out with the HHKB Pro! It's a bold move Cotton lets see how it works out for him!  :p

I'm actually loving it! :D Well I do have some issues with functionality. Like with the 3rd dip switch on, it turns the delete key into backspace but I'd still love to have a delete key like say pressing fn+delete = delete. I'm still looking around to see if that function is achievable with the default hhkb only or if I'll need to hack this thing open and pop in a hasu controller. XD Would've started with a WASD v2 or a Filco MJ2 TKL Ninja but the shipping price would make it as expensive as the hhkb.

Filipino here! WOOO!

WOOT! o/
Are you currently in the Philippines right now? XD
|

Offline Moralless

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:11:11 »
Mabuhay! Nice board you got there, it's currently top on my want to buy list  :))

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:12:48 »
Nope! I am in California but all my relatives are over there! I am much closer to the US capital for filipinos, Daly City. LOL

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:13:16 »
Mabuhay! Nice board you got there, it's currently top on my want to buy list  :))

Thanks. I actually got it for cheaps cause a co-worker that got assigned to japan went back to the country I asked him if he could buy me one. Spent a total of 11,100 php for it, that's including the legit hhkb keyboard roof. XD
|

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 08:15:06 »
Welcome to GH! :cool:

Filipino here too! :thumb:  (I'm in the south of the metro...changed my location because of the Secret Santa).

Anyway, congrats on the HHKB!  #WalletHack

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 09:04:01 »
Nope! I am in California but all my relatives are over there! I am much closer to the US capital for filipinos, Daly City. LOL

O.O nice! Me jelly, if only I lived in the US I'd probably buy a crapload of stuff hahaha Shipping fee is killer. :(

Welcome to GH! :cool:

Filipino here too! :thumb:  (I'm in the south of the metro...changed my location because of the Secret Santa).

Anyway, congrats on the HHKB!  #WalletHack

Thanks! :D Know anyone in the country whom I can buy topre keycaps or custom braided cable or right angle mini usb connector. I've been searching for a while now but haven't found any :(
|

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:08:47 »
Thanks! :D Know anyone in the country whom I can buy topre keycaps or custom braided cable or right angle mini usb connector. I've been searching for a while now but haven't found any :(

Topre caps...nope.  There's only one other guy I know with an HHKB but I don't think he has caps to sell.

Custom cables...none locally.  Well, there are some guys from TipidPC doing sleeving but I've never tried them out.  If you want to order a cable from Pexon, let me know I've been meaning to place another order and maybe we can combine our orders and split shipping?  But after the holidays...PhilPost is busy "inspecting" packages.

Right angle converter like this?

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:18:47 »
Welcome! I was initially a lurker too  :p
I envy your decision for a first purchase, if only I knew of topres before..
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:31:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack. Filipino here too, if you plan to purchase a set of keycaps for your HHKB from Japan please let me know. I'm planning to change my white blank keycap, I just missed printed keycaps. It adds characters to the HHKB(pun intended). :D

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 19:40:50 »

Topre caps...nope.  There's only one other guy I know with an HHKB but I don't think he has caps to sell.

Custom cables...none locally.  Well, there are some guys from TipidPC doing sleeving but I've never tried them out.  If you want to order a cable from Pexon, let me know I've been meaning to place another order and maybe we can combine our orders and split shipping?  But after the holidays...PhilPost is busy "inspecting" packages.

Right angle converter like this?

yeah exactly like that, I might actually go for pexon. Why don't we start a philippine community thread and do interest checks there before we start ordering stuff online? I'm also want to get grifiti wristrests and CST trackball mouse. Maybe throw in some clacks and a hasu controller in there too. XD

Welcome to Geekhack. Filipino here too, if you plan to purchase a set of keycaps for your HHKB from Japan please let me know. I'm planning to change my white blank keycap, I just missed printed keycaps. It adds characters to the HHKB(pun intended). :D

lols. I might actually get a set of white blank keycaps and dye them but not any time soon. Maybe sometime next year and if ever you're still interested by then we'll go and order, I've a friend working in japan so we could get it for cheaper (no shipping fee :D)

|

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 07:45:02 »
Welcome!

nice board
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:13:28 »
|

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 11:29:42 »
I'm currently in Manila in my wife's place.  I guess it is our place, but I work in Kuwait.  (American, married to a filipina)  Anyway, where exactly can I go and buy nice keyboards such as yours here?  Currently using a WASDkeyboard, but if I can get some place and check out some keyboards, it would be nice.  Also, it's nice to see I am not the only one with insomnia.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 11:47:11 »
Welcome to GH!

First buy Topre and the HHKB. You definitely don't like to do like everyone else  :D

I should join you soon in the Topre world. Well I hope so but I'll go for the Novatouch first. I'll see for a 60% later.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 11:55:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Filipino here as well :D

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 15:32:12 »
You sir just saved yourself a lot of money by going for what many believe to be one of the best boards.

One of the nicest guys on this forum and one of my best pals on this forum is also from the Philipines, ∞

Edit: Looks like you've already met him.

Mod Edit: hi buddy! :cool:
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 December 2014, 02:29:57 by infiniti »

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 19:55:30 »
I'm currently in Manila in my wife's place.  I guess it is our place, but I work in Kuwait.  (American, married to a filipina)  Anyway, where exactly can I go and buy nice keyboards such as yours here?  Currently using a WASDkeyboard, but if I can get some place and check out some keyboards, it would be nice.  Also, it's nice to see I am not the only one with insomnia.

I didn't buy my keyboard here in the Philippines, it was bought from japan and brought here by my friend (was trying to avoid shipping fees cause you know, holiday season + customs = empty wallet). There was one store that did import the hhkb pro 2 - Datablitz. I'm not sure if they still have stocks of it but they also carry Das (priced at 8k php) and Filco (priced at 6k php). If they do have the hhkb it's priced at 13k php if I remember correctly whereas I got mine for only 11k and that's including the legit pfu keyboard acrylic roof.

Welcome to GH!

First buy Topre and the HHKB. You definitely don't like to do like everyone else  :D

I should join you soon in the Topre world. Well I hope so but I'll go for the Novatouch first. I'll see for a 60% later.

Honestly I'd do it like everyone else if only shipping isn't so expensive. But the only locally available Cherry MX switches are gaming keyboards which I don't like.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks! :D Are you currently in the philippines too or are you based in some other country? Would love to meet other local geekhackers.

You sir just saved yourself a lot of money by going for what many believe to be one of the best boards.

One of the nicest guys on this forum and one of my best pals on this forum is also from the Philipines, ∞

Edit: Looks like you've already met him.

Lols I guess I made a lucky decision then. Wanted something small so I wanted TKL but yeah, like I said, shipping fee is killer and I saw how small hhkb was I fell in love hahaha.

Inb4 infinity XD

|

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 20:26:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks! :D Are you currently in the philippines too or are you based in some other country? Would love to meet other local geekhackers.

I'm currently in the US, but I was born there in the Philippines. Moved here few years ago. I'm glad to see a growing keyboard enthusiast in the Philippines. Would love to meet local geekhackers as well when I visit manila

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 20:39:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I'm currently in the US, but I was born there in the Philippines. Moved here few years ago. I'm glad to see a growing keyboard enthusiast in the Philippines. Would love to meet local geekhackers as well when I visit manila

Wow so as of now there's only 2 filipino people that I know of that is currently residing in the country. :(
|

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 12:35:23 »
You guys want to meet up at SM MegaMall on Saturday (Dec 13), after lunch?

I can bring my keyboards, keycaps, and a variety of MX switches to try out.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 14:28:11 »

Imagine the guard's reaction when he sees whats inside your bag

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 14:32:59 »

I love megamall! and Shoemart... Say Shoemart to anyone who isn't filipino and you get a weird look lol

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 19:39:53 »

Do want! Let's bring other GH members that are in the country :D I'd bring my noob hkkb too :3

|

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 19:55:13 »

Imagine the guard's reaction when he sees whats inside your bag

I better power dress to avoid suspicion. :))

== == == == ==

I love megamall! and Shoemart... Say Shoemart to anyone who isn't filipino and you get a weird look lol

Who doesn't love Megamall?  It's all there!  When was the last time you were there?  The new expansion is HUGE.

== == == == ==

Do want! Let's bring other GH members that are in the country :D I'd bring my noob hkkb too :3

Yes, please bring the HHKB!

Let me sort out my schedule tomorrow and I'll be back with a time and venue/place.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:34:48 »
I get to visit Manila about every 2 years. I should be going next summer in June hopefully!

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:40:25 »
I get to visit Manila about every 2 years. I should be going next summer in June hopefully!

That's gotta be one of the worst months to visit tho. Isn't June the start of the rainy season :)) You go now and meet us tomorrow :3
|

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 02:30:57 »

Yes, please bring the HHKB!

Let me sort out my schedule tomorrow and I'll be back with a time and venue/place.
[/quote]

It's happening!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66614.0

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 12:51:53 »
Megamall was my favorite mall when I was a kid! I always eat at A&W in the lower level and buy pirated games at 3rd floor lol

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 13:33:00 »
Megamall was my favorite mall when I was a kid! I always eat at A&W in the lower level and buy pirated games at 3rd floor lol

There was a time when they sold pirated stuff!? O.O Didn't know that.
|

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 13:40:18 »

Yes, Brochiere sells games on diskettes before CDROM came out

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:10:11 »

Yes, Brochiere sells games on diskettes before CDROM came out

Wow this was probably from a time I wasn't born yet XD hahaha or still a little kid maybe
|

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 05:50:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

LOL I was going to say that one of the best ways of finding others in your country is to suggest arranging a meetup :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 07:09:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

LOL I was going to say that one of the best ways of finding others in your country is to suggest arranging a meetup :)

Actually just got home from the mini meet up. infinity finally got to try topre as he said, now all that's left is to make him want to buy one >:D

He gave me a right angle mini usb connector, so nice of him. You got my vote for that novatouch! ( if you win it I'll buy the mx compatible sliders from you :P )
|

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 15:28:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Actually just got home from the mini meet up. infinity finally got to try topre as he said, now all that's left is to make him want to buy one >:D

He gave me a right angle mini usb connector, so nice of him. You got my vote for that novatouch! ( if you win it I'll buy the mx compatible sliders from you :P )

Sweet :)

For some, Topre is an acquired taste.  Because it is so different to MX, many people are meh with it until they use it for a week or two and then try to switch back to MX.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:41:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

For some, Topre is an acquired taste.  Because it is so different to MX, many people are meh with it until they use it for a week or two and then try to switch back to MX.

True! I just found out yesterday actually. There's so much difference between the two but actually for me I prefer topre over mx. But if ever I get mx I'll be getting blues with greens. Dat addicting clicky @.@
|

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 21:20:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

True! I just found out yesterday actually. There's so much difference between the two but actually for me I prefer topre over mx. But if ever I get mx I'll be getting blues with greens. Dat addicting clicky @.@

MX blues are closer to 45g Topre in weight, but I prefer stiffer switches and hence MX greens.  I'd really like to try 55g Topre one day ...

Offline dimmu

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 20:47:58 »

loved participating in magic: the gathering tournaments there 15 years ago! mega trade hall if i'm not mistaken.

Offline dimmu

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 20:49:11 »

there was a time when they sold pirated stuffs everywhere. lmao.

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 22:50:14 »

loved participating in magic: the gathering tournaments there 15 years ago! mega trade hall if i'm not mistaken.

holy crap I was 6 years old then! wow. O.O
|