Author Topic: Building A Raspberry Pi Inside An Apple Extended Keyboard  (Read 3741 times)

Offline ezrahilyer

Building A Raspberry Pi Inside An Apple Extended Keyboard
« on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:05:42 »
I built a Raspberry Pi inside an Apple Extended Keyboard. This is my project:

http://straypoetry.com/project/raspberry-pi-inside-a-vintage-mechanical-apple-extended-keyboard/

I also did a model M, and probably will make some more, I am thinking of making a dedicated Emacs machine with one of the smaller ALPS boards that has Control where the caps lock button usually is.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:09:59 by ezrahilyer »

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
Re: Building A Raspberry Pi Inside An Apple Extended Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:12:27 »
Got any pictures of the internals?

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:13:44 »

I do, follow the link above the picture, and you can see how I did it.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:15:40 »

Oh wow, the Pi is way smaller than I thought it would be :eek:

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:36:19 »

Oh wow, the Pi is way smaller than I thought it would be :eek:

It is pretty small, but actually pretty capable. There is plenty of room inside the AEK case, I am surprised there is so much empty space in there.
I was even thinking of putting a Macbook Air logic board in there to make it come full-circle. I am about 90% sure I could pull it off with no trouble.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 22:26:58 »
Very well done!

And probably at least 100 times faster than the original Apple computer the keyboard was connected to.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 21:02:30 »
I saw it linked somewhere too, but the linking page said it was a Model M.

Congratulations :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 21:31:32 »
I saw it linked somewhere too, but the linking page said it was a Model M.

Congratulations :)

I did one in a Model M too. Less room in there than the AEK! I had to cut off the rear display ribbon connector to get it to fit under the plate of the M, but I used a HDMI bulkhead connector to get the HDMI out so I didn't need it anyway.

I have one of the new Raspberry Pi A+ models on the way, I want to experiment with making my own direct matrix input onto the GPIO pins so I don't need the Atmega 32u4 next time.
I want to build it into something really small, I am thinking about one of these:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 22:52:51 »
Actually that might be an interesting use for the A+ Pi - keyboard controller :))

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:13:51 »
Actually that might be an interesting use for the A+ Pi - keyboard controller :))

As far as I can tell, it wouldn't be possibly to actually use the Pi as a controller to connect a keyboard to another computer since the GPIO pins would only report the key inputs to the Pi when it was booted up and running, and then would have to be passed to the desktop computer somehow, but for one thing, the Pi doesn't have the ability to act as a USB HID device, and the other is that it draws a little bit too much power to run off a computer USB port reliably. I have tired it and it will work sometimes, but only on high amperage ports.

You could however possibly SSH into the Pi from your computer and redirect the keyboard to your computer... Or even use a program like Synergy running on the Pi to takeover the keyboard input on your primary computer........ Possibly possibly......

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 03:14:09 »

As far as I can tell, it wouldn't be possibly to actually use the Pi as a controller to connect a keyboard to another computer since the GPIO pins would only report the key inputs to the Pi when it was booted up and running, and then would have to be passed to the desktop computer somehow, but for one thing, the Pi doesn't have the ability to act as a USB HID device, and the other is that it draws a little bit too much power to run off a computer USB port reliably. I have tired it and it will work sometimes, but only on high amperage ports.

You could however possibly SSH into the Pi from your computer and redirect the keyboard to your computer... Or even use a program like Synergy running on the Pi to takeover the keyboard input on your primary computer........ Possibly possibly......

The death of another idea :rolleyes:

One of my long term plans is to get hold of an old terminal, preferably with the keyboard and screen in one case, and mod it to have a small flatscreen monitor, mechanical keyboard and RPi inside to act as a "dumb" terminal.

The Pi could be running something like cool-retro-term for that old-skool look.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 06:00:27 »
I don't know about the A+ but the original model A could act as a USB slave as it has a direct connection from the SoC to the USB A port where the model B has a USB hub/LAN chip in the way - see here.

As for power the model A uses less because it doesn't have the extra chip - I've used one extensively (actually mine's a B with the USB chip removed - extra RAM means slightly more power needed than a real A) in command prompt on USB power and never had a crash, but I may just have good ports everywhere.

What you'd have to do to make it work I have little idea so I asked about it here, but as you can see the idea was met with less than helpful replies so I quickly gave up on it and got a Teensy.  Seems the comments improved.

I'm busy now but I think this is a project for next year.  Now I don't have a keyboard to fix though... :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 13:15:47 »
Kinda linked from somewhere else that some people might notice:

https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status/546399965656797184

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 13:42:42 »
That is super cool, I've wanted to do this with my Model M for such a long time. Perhaps one day.