Author Topic: PCB software question  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
PCB software question
« on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:18:37 »
Couple questions of PCB design software.

Has anyone used DipTrace?

How would the free version rate for working with keyboard PCBs?  If not enough pins I could probably up to a non profit version of the paid software.

Has anyone done more than 2 layers for a keyboard PCB?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
Re: PCB software question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:24:18 »
I did a few qfp64 breakout boards with it a while back, and it got the job done. Haven't done a full board with it yet, so can't comment re the pin limitation. Overall I found the UI and tools much easier to use than eagle and a few other packages I tried.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:27:10 »
Thanks for the reply.  I haven't tried Eagle yet, so far just KiCad and I can't seem to figure that software out to save my life.  I have tried a couple tutorials both PDF and youtube.  It might be partly due to my general lack of electronics knowledge tough. 

One of my first projects with it will be single row PCBs so that should fall well within the pin restrictions.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 04:14:32 »
I've only tried KiCad. I've also only done 2 layers as the cost increases rapidly as you go for more layers, keybaord circuits aren't really complicated or extensive enough to require more than 2 layers, the electrical nitty gritties start playing a role with internal layers.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:23:49 »
wcass does his Model F PCB layouts in a CAD program and then imports them into DipTrace.  I forget what samwisekoi uses.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.