Author Topic: Laying to rest the "CC Vader cap broke copyright" myth  (Read 7363 times)

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
Laying to rest the "CC Vader cap broke copyright" myth
« on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:52:09 »
I've seen this argument over and over again. Hell, at one point I even believed in it myself. However, I did a bit more research regarding copyright law (US law of course), and on further review, the topic is much deeper than that. I believe a very strong fair use argument can be made here.

Fan art is a common topic, especially so on Etsy as much of the business there is dependent on fan art. So much so they made an article specifically discussing this:

https://blog.etsy.com/en/2010/fan-art-and-fair-use-one-truth-and-five-myths/

But to summarize, fan art, and even fan art sold for a profit, is not always considered copyright infringement. Legally, four clauses govern fair use (17 U.S.C. § 107):

(1) The purpose and character of the use, including whether you’ve made a new transformative work, and whether your use is commercial.

(2) The nature of the original work, such as whether it is more factual than fictional.

(3) How much of the original work was used.

(4) Whether the new use affects the potential market for the original work.

With different weights applied to each clause by situation. However, as the Etsy article states, #4 is typically weighed most heaviest by courts. Since Disney does not sell a Vader keycap in any form, I'd argue that CC doesn't affect the potential market at all for Star Wars merchandise.

The fact that they were a one-time, limited run strengthens that argument even more. Just because CC made a Vader keycap, does not mean he broke copyright on Disney's Star War's trademark. I'd be willing to bet that any decent IP lawyer can come up with a solid fair use defense in this case.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline tbc

Re: Laying to rest the "CC Vader cap broke copyright" myth
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:55:22 »
inb4

16yr old lawyers from reddit

:)

i've done some schooling on copyright law/general tort law and this is completely correct afaik.  this has been brought up at least once before

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:57:20 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:57:15 »
inb4

i've done some schooling on copyright law and this is completely correct afaik.

QFT
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:57:28 »
inb4

lawyer here. also biologist. and part time philosopher. and aquarium manager. also semi-pro curler
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline limitz

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:02:35 »
inb4

lawyer here. also biologist. and part time philosopher. and aquarium manager. also semi-pro curler

Did you stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night?

Context for the non-Americans here:

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:06:06 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:04:04 »
inb4

Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline tbc

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:11:06 »
inb4

Show Image

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:12:42 »
inb4

Show Image

Show Image

TYBG

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:21:31 »

inb4

Show Image

Show Image

I was just thinking about George. The marine biologist. The architect. The city planner. The importer/exporter. Haha
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 08:12:11 »
"any decent IP lawyer can come up with a solid fair use defense in this case."

A few years ago, I worked for a small company that was destroyed from within by a disgruntled high-ranking employee.

Our lawyer said that it was the most egregious case of this type that he had ever seen, and that we were sure to prevail in the end.

"However, it will take about $35K out of pocket and 2 years for the process to work through the courts."

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 08:15:48 »
Shouldn't this be posted on Reddit, so all the other law professionals can debate this with you?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 08:39:28 »
Shouldn't this be posted on Reddit, so all the other law professionals can debate this with you?
"I have been a practitioner of law for 15 years, and you are wrong, this is clearly illegal"

Offline limitz

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 08:58:53 »

It was. I posted it as a comment response to someone who claimed that CC broke copyright by making the Vader cap.

Predictably it was downvoted. It's pitifully sitting at -3, or -4 or right now, and will probably even go lower. Worst part is, I didn't even editorialize the comment. I mentioned K3 zero times, and only stuck to the facts.

As a long-term redditor, and very active poster... I'm a little disappointed. There are plenty of awesome subreddits... subreddits where you can learn so much in (thanks /r/PrintedCircuitBoard), but the /r/MK subreddit is just ridiculous. Ripster has made a cult of personality for himself, and I've never seen that in any other subreddit.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:00:40 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:06:18 »

It was. I posted it as a comment response to someone who claimed that CC broke copyright by making the Vader cap.

Predictably it was downvoted. It's pitifully sitting at -3, or -4 or right now, and will probably even go lower. Worst part is, I didn't even editorialize the comment. I mentioned K3 zero times, and only stuck to the facts.

As a long-term redditor, and very active poster... I'm a little disappointed. There are plenty of awesome subreddits... subreddits where you can learn so much in (thanks /r/PrintedCircuitBoard), but the /r/MK subreddit is just ridiculous. Ripster has made a cult of personality for himself, and I've never seen that in any other subreddit.

It's definitely one of the most toxic sub's I've ever seen where the lead mod of the sub essentially pushes his own agenda as-well as counterfeit goods.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:32:14 »

It's definitely one of the most toxic sub's I've ever seen where the lead mod of the sub essentially pushes his own agenda as-well as counterfeit goods.
I sense a new non-cult/circlejerk mech board subreddit coming soon.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:32:28 »

and put stock caps on kustoms

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:35:40 »

Sub-Reddits can't actually exist without a circlejerk ;)

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:36:43 »

Sub-Reddits can't actually exist without a circlejerk ;)
Well, that is true, but one that doesn't focus around one person, and one that isn't based on ripping on other forums.

Offline limitz

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 11:07:32 »

Wouldn't be surprised. Just as /truegaming, /truereddit, /truetruereddit exist, I wouldn't be surprised if a sub like /diykeyboard formed.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 11:18:59 »

Wouldn't be surprised. Just as /truegaming, /truereddit, /truetruereddit exist, I wouldn't be surprised if a sub like /diykeyboard formed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mechboards/
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 11:19:24 »

With different weights applied to each clause by situation. However, as the Etsy article states, #4 is typically weighed most heaviest by courts. Since Disney does not sell a Vader keycap in any form, I'd argue that CC doesn't affect the potential market at all for Star Wars merchandise.

The fact that they were a one-time, limited run strengthens that argument even more. Just because CC made a Vader keycap, does not mean he broke copyright on Disney's Star War's trademark. I'd be willing to bet that any decent IP lawyer can come up with a solid fair use defense in this case.

Just for Devil's advocate (read: I do not support the counterfeits ):
Do you think that the fake clacks will affect CC's ability to sell his own clacks?
RETIRED

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 11:42:38 »

nice idea, but I doubt that many people here would want to go over to reddit, and all the keyboard people at reddit are already in r/MK

Offline asavi

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 11:44:28 »

Do you think that the fake clacks will affect CC's ability to sell his own clacks?

The way I see it, it's the kind of thing that's only really cool when you meet someone else who knows what it is. If you turn yours over and it says K3 anyone who knows what it is isn't going to like that too much. That's why I'd never buy one of those, it's not attractive enough to lose the value of other people liking that you have it.
Das Keyboard w/ Blues | Blackwidow w/ Blues | V60 w/ Clears

Offline limitz

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 11:54:56 »

Personally, I don't think this has an affect on CC at all. I don't believe CC's own business has been touched by this, and if anything, the exposure from K3KC has made the demand, and the aftermarket value, of real Clacks jump up.

Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 12:02:10 »

The way I see it, it's the kind of thing that's only really cool when you meet someone else who knows what it is. If you turn yours over and it says K3 anyone who knows what it is isn't going to like that too much. That's why I'd never buy one of those, it's not attractive enough to lose the value of other people liking that you have it.
I completely agree with this.

Personally, I don't think this has an affect on CC at all. I don't believe CC's own business has been touched by this, and if anything, the exposure from K3KC has made the demand, and the aftermarket value, of real Clacks jump up.
Nothing like a good controversy to drum up business :p
RETIRED

Offline limitz

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 12:30:01 »

Nothing like a good controversy to drum up business :p

*Insert PT Barnum Cliche Here*

But on a more serious note, it's actually the reason why large brands largely don't care about counterfeits. Forget markets in Asia, there are markets in most major US cities where you can find knockoffs.

However, largely, the knockoffs only serve to reinforce the brand exclusivity, and causes the original brand to only increase in value. Numerous marketing studies have shown this already, and even the Harvard Business Review agrees with this notion:

https://hbr.org/2014/04/think-differently-about-protecting-your-brand/

"Authorized or not, brand awareness in a new market is usually a good thing. And increased brand exposure can lead to a migration from counterfeit to original goods when the economic climate of that market improves or discretionary spending increases."

Essentially, counterfeits in the market only serve to "boost brand exposure and expansion without significant investment."

Other institutions have found similar results:

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/views/blogs/market-movers/2007/07/27/when-counterfeits-increase-brand-value.html

Dolce and Gabbana is one of the most counterfeited brands in the world, yet are completely unwilling to help law enforcement due to the fact "that the existence of counterfeits only serves to enhance the desirability – and sales volumes – of the real thing."

This article http://www.intangiblebusiness.com/news/marketing/2006/05/brand-piracy-faking-it-can-be-good summarizes it the best:

"product's values is also not diluted as the owner of the counterfeit products knows it is just that, a fake, and therefore does not expect the same performance from it. In fact, decisions to purchase the counterfeit products usually reaffirm the brand's values as the recipient buys the article to project the very image the brand is trying to portray through its advertising and promotion. This endorsement encourages loyalty, generates awareness and strengthens the brand's values with the owner of the fake as well as everyone with whom they come in contact."

-----

Just food for thought, and though it may be extremely unintuitive to some users here, but in most cases counterfeiting only serves to boost prices and demand. This topic has been exhaustively studied by marketing firms and corporations, and that's why counterfeits are largely tolerated. This line of logic is another reason why I believe that CC's own business has not been affected, and in fact, has only strengthened his own brand. Take the current sale for instance. Items are typically sold within seconds of listing. The total length of the sale is ~60days, and the price ranges from $50-120 for a cap. Even if every cap was $50, that's $3000 over 60 days.

Not bad at all, but utterly impossible without a strong branding. There are literally hundreds of users constantly refreshing that page. In 30 days alone, that thread has received over 1.2M views. There are still 30 days to go.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 January 2015, 12:39:43 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 05:58:17 »

Nothing like a good controversy to drum up business

*Insert PT Barnum Cliche Here*

But on a more serious note, it's actually the reason why large brands largely don't care about counterfeits. Forget markets in Asia, there are markets in most major US cities where you can find knockoffs.

However, largely, the knockoffs only serve to reinforce the brand exclusivity, and causes the original brand to only increase in value. Numerous marketing studies have shown this already, and even the Harvard Business Review agrees with this notion:

https://hbr.org/2014/04/think-differently-about-protecting-your-brand/

"Authorized or not, brand awareness in a new market is usually a good thing. And increased brand exposure can lead to a migration from counterfeit to original goods when the economic climate of that market improves or discretionary spending increases."

Essentially, counterfeits in the market only serve to "boost brand exposure and expansion without significant investment."

Other institutions have found similar results:

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/views/blogs/market-movers/2007/07/27/when-counterfeits-increase-brand-value.html

Dolce and Gabbana is one of the most counterfeited brands in the world, yet are completely unwilling to help law enforcement due to the fact "that the existence of counterfeits only serves to enhance the desirability – and sales volumes – of the real thing."

This article http://www.intangiblebusiness.com/news/marketing/2006/05/brand-piracy-faking-it-can-be-good summarizes it the best:

"product's values is also not diluted as the owner of the counterfeit products knows it is just that, a fake, and therefore does not expect the same performance from it. In fact, decisions to purchase the counterfeit products usually reaffirm the brand's values as the recipient buys the article to project the very image the brand is trying to portray through its advertising and promotion. This endorsement encourages loyalty, generates awareness and strengthens the brand's values with the owner of the fake as well as everyone with whom they come in contact."

-----

Just food for thought, and though it may be extremely unintuitive to some users here, but in most cases counterfeiting only serves to boost prices and demand. This topic has been exhaustively studied by marketing firms and corporations, and that's why counterfeits are largely tolerated. This line of logic is another reason why I believe that CC's own business has not been affected, and in fact, has only strengthened his own brand. Take the current sale for instance. Items are typically sold within seconds of listing. The total length of the sale is ~60days, and the price ranges from $50-120 for a cap. Even if every cap was $50, that's $3000 over 60 days.

Not bad at all, but utterly impossible without a strong branding. There are literally hundreds of users constantly refreshing that page. In 30 days alone, that thread has received over 1.2M views. There are still 30 days to go.
Nice read. I didn't know about that point of view on counterfeits. Thanks.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:29:46 »
Coinage is a fundamental right of sovereign nations, and coin collecting, as a hobby, has been around since the time of the Romans. It is arguably the oldest and most widespread hobby of all time.

Counterfeiting has been around equally long, and, in times past, has often carried the death penalty, so no one has ever been under any delusions about the seriousness of it.

Today, in the US at least, you are free to make perfect, exact copies of any coin,

AS LONG AS THE WORD "COPY" or "REPRODUCTION" IS EMBOSSED INTO THE METAL ITSELF,
AT AN EASILY VISIBLE SIZE, IN A CONSPICUOUS POSITION.

So, if the mark is on the back ("reverse") then you can display the reproduction and it will look great from the front ("obverse").

Perhaps this is applicable, perhaps not.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 17:06:37 »

sub'd!

lel at the post from Ripster linking /r/mechanicalkeyboards
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 17:09:48 »
There is also /r/truemk

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 17:11:05 »

sub'd!

lel at the post from Ripster linking /r/mechanicalkeyboards
Hell, I will abandon r/true mk since this is a better name, if you want my help with the CSS I am able to help

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 06:21:19 »
I may actually join Reddit for this.. Had no reason to before with all the Ripster propaganda on the MK sub.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 07:30:02 »
Is Ripster the moderator on /r/mk?

Offline Moralless

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 08:14:45 »

Yes, he's the creator of the sub

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 08:35:53 »

Most of the time it seems like he is the only mod there

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 08:37:56 »

Alright. I never heard any complain about the sub reddit apart from this thread. But I guess it is because I didn't frequent the sub reddit that often. Once I discovered GH, I saw that there was way more content on this forum than on the sub reddit. So it was pointless to stay there. Does /r/mechmarket is related to him as well?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 08:47:53 »

Alright. I never heard any complain about the sub reddit apart from this thread. But I guess it is because I didn't frequent the sub reddit that often. Once I discovered GH, I saw that there was way more content on this forum than on the sub reddit. So it was pointless to stay there. Does /r/mechmarket is related to him as well?

Not at all, different mods

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 08:54:28 »
I'm not a  lawyer  but I play one on TV.  If 20th Century Fox has grounds to send cease and desist orders to etsy sellers who make knit hats that resemble Jayne's hat from Firefly, I imagine Lucasfilm could certainly take action on the Vader ckacks.  I don't pretend to understand copyright law, especially when artistic interpretations are involved.  Did Andy Warhol violate copyright law when he painted the Campbell's  Soup cans?

Regardless of whether the Vader clack violated copyright law, they were an original sculpt by the artist and copying the artist's work and passing it off as the artist's work is wrong.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 09:07:47 »
It is easy to push your weight around when you are big enough.

We have a holly tree in our yard, and Harry Potter's wand was supposedly made from holly. A few years ago, my kids and I made "magic wands" which we hand-crafted from our tree's limbs and started selling them on ebay.

Within a few days, my ebay and Paypal accounts were frozen and I had gotten a very nasty message from Warner Brothers, presumably because I had described the wands as "made from natural holly wood, like Harry Potter's" and the mere mention of the HP name was enough to violate their rights.

That our natural, unique, hand-made items in no way resembled the plastic things that came from the wand factory did not seem to matter at all.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 09:34:41 »
It is easy to push your weight around when you are big enough.

We have a holly tree in our yard, and Harry Potter's wand was supposedly made from holly. A few years ago, my kids and I made "magic wands" which we hand-crafted from our tree's limbs and started selling them on ebay.

Within a few days, my ebay and Paypal accounts were frozen and I had gotten a very nasty message from Warner Brothers, presumably because I had described the wands as "made from natural holly wood, like Harry Potter's" and the mere mention of the HP name was enough to violate their rights.

That our natural, unique, hand-made items in no way resembled the plastic things that came from the wand factory did not seem to matter at all.

It is off subject but do you still have some pictures of your crafts? I'd be curious to take a look at them.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:59:53 »
I've seen this argument over and over again. Hell, at one point I even believed in it myself. However, I did a bit more research regarding copyright law (US law of course), and on further review, the topic is much deeper than that. I believe a very strong fair use argument can be made here.

Fan art is a common topic, especially so on Etsy as much of the business there is dependent on fan art. So much so they made an article specifically discussing this:

https://blog.etsy.com/en/2010/fan-art-and-fair-use-one-truth-and-five-myths/

But to summarize, fan art, and even fan art sold for a profit, is not always considered copyright infringement. Legally, four clauses govern fair use (17 U.S.C. � 107):

(1) The purpose and character of the use, including whether you�ve made a new transformative work, and whether your use is commercial.

(2) The nature of the original work, such as whether it is more factual than fictional.

(3) How much of the original work was used.

You didn't even read the entire article. You just took part of the post out of context. I originally referred to this in my first post where I called out CC supporters because of this double standard in the original knock off thread.

The part you posted is the definition of what constitutes "fair use". The articleis merely outlining what the rules are for people who will be making fan art and making them aware of the possible repercussions they may face for doing so. It points out multiple times that Fair Defense is an unpredictable defense in court.

Myth 2: Fair Use always protects fan art.
As discussed above, the Fair Use Doctrine is complex and can be unpredictable. Different intellectual property owners may have different ideas for what constitutes infringement, and what they deem as �fair� and good for their brand. And then, if a case goes to court, the fair use defense is likely unpredictable. Just because an artist is a fan and creates art, does not necessarily mean a court would find that this fan art is protected by fair use.

For more information on fan art, please check out the podcast we did with USC Annenberg School of Communications Professor Henry Jenkins, formerly of MIT.

CC has violated copyright, it's clear from even going by the myths outlined by the Etsy post. He's not doing this as a non-profit either, so there's no chance he can be under protection. Disney is fully within its rights to seek action against CC if they wanted to but they haven't because either they don't know, don't care enough, or actually don't mind. Because they have never explicitly said they don't mind people profitting off of copies of their work in the past and Lucas has defended their intellectual property.

Here is an example of them doing  so successfully against someone who was producing replica storm trooper helmets. He did not defend himself in US court and LucasFilm won. LucasFilm and many other companies have crushed many other people for doing things like this in the past, so don't think that CC is some unique case.

You didn't do any deep research, you just took your predetermined view point and looked for something that slightly backed up your view and then posted it here.

You want to go off something in our own community related to this? Ask Brocap how he feels about his First generation optimus prime keycaps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:03:48 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:59:37 »
...so don't think that CC is some unique case.

I'm always a unique case.

It's part of my charm.  ;)

862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory