Author Topic: 75% Keyboards?  (Read 23943 times)

Offline chuckster

75% Keyboards?
« on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 02:22:57 »
I really like the KBT Race, but was looking for something with a larger R Shift key. Are there any 75% boards out there that fit the bill? I con't find many 70/75% models period.

Also, what is this? Is it custom? I think this is just about perfect (or at least as close to perfection that any kind of TKL board can be):

If it isn't custom, I must have it! It would pretty much end all issues I have with Full size vs. 60% boards.

Offline Heliosphere

Re: 75% Keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 02:30:17 »
Reverse Google image search revealed it as a LZ MX Mini: https://dangwang.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/420-reviews-lz-mx-mini-by-lifezone/

Correction: It's a LZ MX Mini SE https://dangwang.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/order-keyboard-in-january-get-in-may-lz-mx-mini-se-21/.

Edit2: The original owner of the specific keyboard in your photo (#21) actually just sold it on mechmarket for $700 http://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/2u0hm1/wts_selling_90_of_my_remaining_collection_kmac_lz/
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 January 2015, 15:16:52 by Heliosphere »

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 02:45:14 »
I think many of us would like one like that but with more spacing.  Atm you either go TKL or 80% with numpad and no arrow keys.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 07:08:43 »
I really like the KBT Race, but was looking for something with a larger R Shift key. Are there any 75% boards out there that fit the bill? I con't find many 70/75% models period.

Also, what is this? Is it custom? I think this is just about perfect (or at least as close to perfection that any kind of TKL board can be):
Show Image

If it isn't custom, I must have it! It would pretty much end all issues I have with Full size vs. 60% boards.

For me, TKL or 60% are best. 75% has a few disadvantages:

1. Non-standard layout - requires retraining your muscle memory for finding keys like the arrows.
2. Non-standard keycap sizes - means most aftermarket sets won't fit, in some cases none at all will fit. The one in the picture you posted is about the most compatible I have yet seen, but even that has mismatched legends on the keys above the right arrow.

The only disadvantage to TKL is the size, and it's very close to 75% in width, which is the dimension that matters most on a desk.

60% you have to use a Fn layer for arrow keys, edits and F keys and sometimes the Fn key is in an awkward place, but it's the most compact and there are some with great Fn layers and key placement options (original KBT Pure) or programmability (Poker II, GH60, GON NerD60, Infinity, etc).

Out of all the "compact" layout boards I've seen, the one I like best is the Leopold FC660M:
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:29:53 »
My Octagon should be shipping soon-ish.  It's 75%.

Key caps shouldn't be a problem depending on which bottom row layout you pick, assuming you've got options.  Most key sets have a Tsangan kit.  That should cover the odd sizes you might need.  And you may have a slight profile mismatch on the far right column depending on which keys you want there, but that isn't really a big deal for me.

All the 75% boards I've ever seen are customs.  I don't know of any commercial versions -- but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  :P

Offline blighty

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 09:28:22 »
75% production boards?  Noppoo choc mini and Keycool 84. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 January 2015, 09:31:19 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Jotokun

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 09:58:58 »
1. Non-standard layout - requires retraining your muscle memory for finding keys like the arrows.

Not entirely true. For a long while, 75% was very common on laptops. I've owned three laptops in a row, all of different manufactures (Toshiba, Compaq, Dell), with almost exactly the same 75% layout in the past. It seems to be less common now as everyone tries to copy the macbook's 60% layout on their laptops, but I still wouldn't call it non-standard. There are people with muscle memory built up for it.

Caps are a pain, though. IMO that's the only drawback aside from not enough options existing for the layout.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 January 2015, 10:00:57 by Jotokun »
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline blighty

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 14:07:50 »

Not entirely true. For a long while, 75% was very common on laptops. I've owned three laptops in a row, all of different manufactures (Toshiba, Compaq, Dell), with almost exactly the same 75% layout in the past. It seems to be less common now as everyone tries to copy the macbook's 60% layout on their laptops, but I still wouldn't call it non-standard. There are people with muscle memory built up for it.

Caps are a pain, though. IMO that's the only drawback aside from not enough options existing for the layout.

Caps aren't that hard to find for 75%. 

89108-0

MX mini has an old Cherry 1800 set on it, while the Keycool 84 has the Skull Squadron DSA on it. 
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Evrycard

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 17:31:39 »
My Octagon should be shipping soon-ish.  It's 75%.

Show Image

Key caps shouldn't be a problem depending on which bottom row layout you pick, assuming you've got options.  Most key sets have a Tsangan kit.  That should cover the odd sizes you might need.  And you may have a slight profile mismatch on the far right column depending on which keys you want there, but that isn't really a big deal for me.

All the 75% boards I've ever seen are customs.  I don't know of any commercial versions -- but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  :P
I soooo want one.  :thumb:

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 20:01:49 »

Show Image

For me, TKL or 60% are best. 75% has a few disadvantages:

2. Non-standard keycap sizes - means most aftermarket sets won't fit, in some cases none at all will fit. The one in the picture you posted is about the most compatible I have yet seen, but even that has mismatched legends on the keys above the right arrow.

The only disadvantage to TKL is the size, and it's very close to 75% in width, which is the dimension that matters most on a desk.

60% you have to use a Fn layer for arrow keys, edits and F keys and sometimes the Fn key is in an awkward place, but it's the most compact and there are some with great Fn layers and key placement options (original KBT Pure) or programmability (Poker II, GH60, GON NerD60, Infinity, etc).

Out of all the "compact" layout boards I've seen, the one I like best is the Leopold FC660M:
Show Image

Unfortunately it just doesn't work as for gamers as well.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 01:34:24 »

(Attachment Link)

MX mini has an old Cherry 1800 set on it, while the Keycool 84 has the Skull Squadron DSA on it.

For the more common 75% boards, yes, they are. You have the 2 easiest and still both need a 1.75x right shift and still the keycap profile or legend won't match on the keys above the right arrow.

The more common ones like Noppoo Choc Mini and KBT Race 2 have some impossible cap sizes (5.5x spacebar, 1.5x ESC and Backspace).

Admittedly, for the FC660M you need a second left shift to fit onto the right hand side, but at least it's a standard size and is just a duplicate of a key already found in normal sets.

@Data, I'm surprised you don't know of the Noppoo Choc Mini, Keycool 84 or KBT Race 1 & 2.

I change keycaps quite often and am VERY used to the standard placement of arrow and edit keys (20+ years of daily use will do that), so for me, a TKL is much more usable than a 75%. Even so, the largest board I tend to use nowadays is a 60%.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 09:33:46 »
KBT Race keyboards are always out of stock.

Offline pr0ximity

| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Data

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 14:07:27 »
@Data, I'm surprised you don't know of the Noppoo Choc Mini, Keycool 84 or KBT Race 1 & 2.

I change keycaps quite often and am VERY used to the standard placement of arrow and edit keys (20+ years of daily use will do that), so for me, a TKL is much more usable than a 75%. Even so, the largest board I tend to use nowadays is a 60%.

I've probably seen the Noppoo a time or two, but wasn't familiar enough with it to remember the name.  I've heard of the KBT Race but wouldn't be able to pick it out of a line-up.  :D

I love the arrow keys and use them constantly, which is probably my biggest hurdle to using a 60% (or smaller) layout.  But where they live on the board or even which side they're on hasn't been a problem so far.

Offline supersoul

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 01:05:21 »
love my choc mini but the mentioned lack of compatible keysets really sucks

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 01:40:05 »

Show Image

Noppoo Choc Mini is the only 75% board you should ever buy.

/Thread
你搞砸了

Offline punkpc

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:47:49 »

(Attachment Link)

What case is that with the MX Mini?
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2015, 01:14:10 by punkpc »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:22:03 »
The KBT Race II was the closest to me finding a good key layout on 75%.

I use a 75% layout that is very similar on my Asus Netbook. So Im familiar with it. 60% just too small. I dont need to travel with it either. I like the Home/End Page Up/Page Down keys along the Right edge that is how my Asus netbook is set up...and I use them.

Ultimately I decided to ditch it and go with TKL.

You might look into the Leupold F660 as well.

PPS - The Noppoo Choc Mini looks like a real good layout too. Maybe even better than the Race II.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:26:57 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:32:07 »
Noppoo Choc Mini is the only 75% board you should ever buy.

/Thread

LOL, if you're a noob, yes.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 18:12:38 »
There is no 75% with common keys,, there's no way to make it a perfect little rectangle without chopping out something somewhere and most keysets leave you with odd profiles at best.

It's the main reason I set out on my little adventure.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73282.0
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 18:49:24 »
There is no 75% with common keys,, there's no way to make it a perfect little rectangle without chopping out something somewhere and most keysets leave you with odd profiles at best.

It's the main reason I set out on my little adventure.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73282.0
Well, short right shift is somewhat common, but yeah, yours is a good  improvement as far as standard goes. Reminds me a little of the alienware keyboard layouts.