Author Topic: [GB] GMK Triumph Adler. Pics posted...  (Read 363849 times)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: [GB] GMK Triumph Adler [979 sold; 24 hours to go 0_0)
« Reply #750 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:08:56 »
This is what I'm hoping for. At least adding the right profile bottom row arrow keys and num pad keys considering the amount of people that joined this GB.

Surely a statistically significant portion of those users are going to be installing these sets on modern winkey boards so it really would have tremendous benefit if we could work something out to include matching profile keys.

Since R5 1.25u mods arent an option, we would want what keys? Three R5 arrow keys, one R4 arrow, and two?/three? numpad keys? Surely with these kind of numbers we could add 6-7 keys?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #751 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:11:43 »
BTW where did that granite set come from on MD? It just started and it's already close to 500! Whaa?!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #752 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:14:17 »
BTW where did that granite set come from on MD? It just started and it's already close to 500! Whaa?!

Keep in mind every kit counts as one order, so if I ordered a Base set with text mods they count it as two orders.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #753 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:14:23 »

If it's like Round 2 every kit counts like 1 order, so that's not too impressive.

Edit:    Strict sniped me  :p

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #754 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:16:52 »
You guys will all get what you signed up for.  Why all the rustling?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #755 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:20:22 »
This is what I'm hoping for. At least adding the right profile bottom row arrow keys and num pad keys considering the amount of people that joined this GB.

Surely a statistically significant portion of those users are going to be installing these sets on modern winkey boards so it really would have tremendous benefit if we could work something out to include matching profile keys.

Since R5 1.25u mods arent an option, we would want what keys? Three R5 arrow keys, one R4 arrow, and two?/three? numpad keys? Surely with these kind of numbers we could add 6-7 keys?

it would be very easy to add that many keys, and still allow massdrop to make more per set than they were planning to make at the 500 price point

so they would still get more per set, on top of a higher volume of sets than planned

we actually went through 2 price breaks at 1000

i understand the original point of not adding to the set before when they were trying to hit 500, because massdrop have to make their money as well as pay the "designer", however there would be little justification to not adding keys at the numbers it reached, i can understand why they wouldnt change things once it went up for sale, but this wouldnt be altering existing keys, this would be in addition to, and nobody could complain about that
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #756 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:21:21 »
You guys will all get what you signed up for.  Why all the rustling?

i havent seen any rustling in this thread in a while, just people trying to make this as good as it can be talking constructively

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #757 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:24:18 »
While I would also like to get more keys, I doubt Massdrop will do it.

Is there any presedence for them adding stuff to super successul drops? If they do it now, they'd have to do it for all upcoming ones...

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #758 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:37:51 »

Is there any presedence for them adding stuff to super successul drops? If they do it now, they'd have to do it for all upcoming ones...

well this is the first buy of its kind with massdrop

so the presedence doesnt need to be considered

a normal buy with massdrop would be this

a manufacturer contacts massdrop or massdrop contact them, they have designed and made a product, and they agree to sell the product to massdrop at a certain price, lowering this price based on whatever numbers massdrop can sell, up to whatever there lowest point is where they still make whatever amount of money it is the manufacturer wants to make, by buying in bulk, massdrop can order goods cheaper from the supplier and pass those savings on to the end user, for massdrop facilitating this, they add on whatever percentage it is they want to add on to the cost of the goods

that being said, they have also started doing a couple of more traditional gbs, with sp, but even those dont directly translate to this, sp price breaks are very early on, and once you get above 150 orders of a kit, the pricebreaks are negligible, often being closer to cents than dollars on an already very cheap purchase to begin with

with gmk, the pricedrops are much larger, as the business model is geared to bigger orders, also comparatively to sp, particularly with this buy, it is very difficult to add on to it, if someone wants an add on with sp, it requires both little effort and or money to accomplish it, with this, we are talking about adding a handful of keys, at the 1000 price point, it would cost about 2-3 dollars a set at most, which i understand adds up, thatll be 2000-3000 dollars, however, we have broken price points, that far exceed that amount of money, however for us as a community to add those keys, it would cost closer to 10 dollars a set, even if we could get 500 orders, and even if they agreed to lower the custom colour MOQ

its common sense to add them at this stage, and it would be a show of good faith on the part of massdrop to do it, although costing them slightly more money, to show the support and respect they have for a community working hard to make them money

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #759 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:38:07 »
Since I'm not as ****ed for my 7-week course as I thought I was, I decided I'd probably survive if I joined the drop.  I'm #1002.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:39:43 by RickyJ »
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Polymer

« Reply #760 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:40:53 »
But it's right there on the mockup. Do you really think people will have missed that?

I mean, I'm sure a lot of people didn't notice it on the mockup, but those people will also not notice it on their keyboards.

A significant number of users will have no idea what the mock up means.  R4 and R5 will mean absolutely nothing to them.  The assumption all of the buyers understand the mock up would be a bad one.  To assume they would have read the discussion to find out is also a bad one...

Out of those, a percentage will not care..and some will..

Personally I think this set looks great...I don't care too much about the mismatched profile...but that's me...I'm very certain there are a number of users that will care and have no idea what they're getting...

Congratulations everyone on a fantastic GB though..I'm sure there will be a lot more very happy customers than not...

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #761 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:43:57 »

a manufacturer contacts massdrop or massdrop contact them, they have designed and made a product, and they agree to sell the product to massdrop at a certain price, lowering this price based on whatever numbers massdrop can sell, up to whatever there lowest point is where they still make whatever amount of money it is the manufacturer wants to make, by buying in bulk, massdrop can order goods cheaper from the supplier and pass those savings on to the end user, for massdrop facilitating this, they add on whatever percentage it is they want to add on to the cost of the goods

that being said, they have also started doing a couple of more traditional gbs, with sp, but even those dont directly translate to this, sp price breaks are very early on, and once you get above 150 orders of a kit, the pricebreaks are negligible, often being closer to cents than dollars on an already very cheap purchase to begin with

with gmk, the pricedrops are much larger, as the business model is geared to bigger orders, also comparatively to sp, particularly with this buy, it is very difficult to add on to it, if someone wants an add on with sp, it requires both little effort and or money to accomplish it, with this, we are talking about adding a handful of keys, at the 1000 price point, it would cost about 2-3 dollars a set at most, which i understand adds up, thatll be 2000-3000 dollars, however, we have broken price points, that far exceed that amount of money, however for us as a community to add those keys, it would cost closer to 10 dollars a set, even if we could get 500 orders, and even if they agreed to lower the custom colour MOQ

its common sense to add them at this stage, and it would be a show of good faith on the part of massdrop to do it, although costing them slightly more money, to show the support and respect they have for a community working hard to make them money

Thanks for the explanations!

Let's see what Intelli can negotiate with them  :thumb:

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #762 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:47:50 »
If somebody clearly didn't read and comprehend the description of what they just bought, they'll either cancel between now and shipment time and Massdrop will sell their kits at the next Bazaar, or they will find out after shipment and complain, and probably sell the set to some lucky human who missed the buy.

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #763 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:49:09 »
Last time I checked there were 701 orders and now there's over 1000! Congrats intelli  :thumb:

Offline Liar

« Reply #764 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:49:44 »
Congratulations on 1000+ orders, truly successful

Offline dante

« Reply #765 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:51:26 »
Congratulations on 1000+ orders, truly successful

Liar, just sent you a PM regarding this threads topic.  Please get back to me :p

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #766 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:56:07 »

Bunny speaks with authority on this subject, so I've got to listen.

That said, if somehow we end up seeing R4 bottom row arrows and numpad keys added, I would feel like we failed unless Intelli also got his Win 95 legends in addition to the Windows 7 keys.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #767 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:54:39 »

Bunny speaks with authority on this subject, so I've got to listen.

That said, if somehow we end up seeing R4 bottom row arrows and numpad keys added, I would feel like we failed unless Intelli also got his Win 95 legends in addition to the Windows 7 keys.
If Windows 95 keys are the only thing that gets added I will be happy, I was pissed off when they were removed, but I wouldn't have missed the buy for the world.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #768 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:56:36 »

I'm not getting my hopes up, but that would be fantastic.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #769 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:00:36 »
It's over 9000 1000! :D

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #770 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:17:03 »
Congrats intelli. All of you hard work paid off and this is the result! :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #771 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:07:00 »
Considering that the market for mechanical keyboards; in particular, MX based ones, is a "niche-market", the recent buys for TA, and HF sold around $160 thousand dollars just for key caps, is awesome.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #772 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:03:43 »
I was 1008th, now I'm 1007th. I guess someone figured out about the arrow keys  :p
For me the taller arrow keys are a feature, not a bug, and as previously mentioned I'll be using them on a keyboard with the arrows integrated into the main block of keys without any gap (FC660M - sell me your 2.25u lshift!) I think it'll be helpful to be able to jump my right hand to the arrow cluster without looking.

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #773 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:20:51 »

I was 1008th, now I'm 1007th. I guess someone figured out about the arrow keys  :p
For me the taller arrow keys are a feature, not a bug, and as previously mentioned I'll be using them on a keyboard with the arrows integrated into the main block of keys without any gap (FC660M - sell me your 2.25u lshift!) I think it'll be helpful to be able to jump my right hand to the arrow cluster without looking.

Is that what the issue with the profiles are
The arrows are taller?

Or all the bottom row?

I can't follow

Offline intelli78

« Reply #774 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:26:56 »
Here is a gif I made:

Notice the second set of arrow keys are a little taller. That's what it'll look like (the bottom row of numpad also, if you have a full size board) on a modern board when using the 1.25x mods.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #775 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:29:56 »
Here is a gif I made:

Show Image

Notice the second set of arrow keys are a little taller. That's what it'll look like (the bottom row of numpad also, if you have a full size board) on a modern board when using the 1.25x mods.
Now I see why all the gripes. R5 arrows change the white balance on the entire board!

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #776 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:31:51 »
Here is a gif I made:

Show Image

Now I see why all the gripes. R5 arrows change the white balance on the entire board!

LOL! good one!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #777 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:32:20 »

Damn you for finally exposing the scam to the world...  :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [GB] GMK Triumph Adler [1024 sold; 9 hours to go 0_0)
« Reply #778 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:36:17 »
The scam is if this was a community buy the community would benefit but now it's about business and making $$$$$$$$$.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #779 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:37:54 »
The scam is if this was a community buy the community would benefit but now it's about business and making $$$$$$$$$.
Complain all you want, but Massdrop was probably the only way to get this group buy to work.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #780 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:38:40 »
so does someone want to buy this for me so that I can pay for Mira prototypes?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #781 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:39:12 »

I don't get this mentality. Every single buy is about convincing some vendor that our little pet project is worth their time and attention. Money is the only thing that convinces them of that. Otherwise MOQ for every buy would be 1 set.

My boards:
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #782 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:39:24 »
Complain all you want, but Massdrop was probably the only way to get this group buy to work.
Maybe you should run all your buys through them also.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #783 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:39:54 »

Nah, not really. If it were a community buy, the price would have been significantly higher and it would have taken far longer to ship. This was a win-win.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #784 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:40:15 »

Werent you the one who started a thread called "Need Some $$$$ Making Ideas To Fleece All You Keyboard Geeks" then had to defend yourself to make it seem like a joke?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #785 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:40:19 »

Nah, not really. If it were a community buy, the price would have been significantly higher and it would have taken far longer to ship. This was a win-win.

I'm sure you made out great.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #786 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:40:35 »
i wonder what we get for the big price drop at that many orders, would be super easy to add the b profile keys now and make everyone happy

I really hope that happens.  We'll see though.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #787 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:41:22 »
Maybe you should run all your buys through them also.
I don't have a need to since I haven't done anything with custom colors that requires an MOQ of 500. :thumb: Thanks for the idea though.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #788 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:42:03 »

Werent you the one who started a thread called "Need Some $$$$ Making Ideas To Fleece All You Keyboard Geeks" then had to defend yourself to make it seem like a joke?

Clearly that thread was complete sarcasm and everyone knew it.

But the point of it was so many people are bind to blatantly being taken for there money around here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:46:16 by SpAmRaY »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #789 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:43:00 »

I don't get this mentality. Every single buy is about convincing some vendor that our little pet project is worth their time and attention. Money is the only thing that convinces them of that. Otherwise MOQ for every buy would be 1 set.

i have literally 0 idea what you are trying to say here

if by vendor you mean manufacturer, then its not our job to convince them what we do is worth their time, its their job to convince us their product is worth our money

if by vendor you mean reseller, very few buys sell sets to vendors

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #790 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:45:41 »
oh yea because a buy with a ridiculously high MOQ and high price totally would have been feasible within our small community
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #791 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:46:06 »

im sure you think ive been threadcrapping, i really havent, but i have to say, this quote is really odd, the buy would be cheaper, not more expensive if it was run as a groupbuy and not a massdrop, as a gb 1 entity would be making money not 3

to clarify, i have no issue at all with them making money, or them paying you, if you didnt want to run this or felt you couldnt, that is totally fine and your decision to make, but i dont think we should try and claim that somehow this saved us all money

and before anyone says that im trying to derail this or whatever

i hopped on to support it pretty damn early

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:51:36 by BunnyLake »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #792 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:52:04 »

im sure you think ive been threadcrapping, i really havent, but i have to say, this quote is really odd, the buy would be cheaper, not more expensive if it was run as a groupbuy and not a massdrop, as a gb 1 entity would be making money not 3

to clarify, i have no issue at all with them making money, or them paying you, if you didnt want to run this or felt you couldnt, that is totally fine and your decision to make, but i dont think we should try and claim that somehow this saved us all money
Well what would have been cheaper if he ran the buy himself?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #793 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:52:25 »

But the point of it was so many people are bind to blatantly being taken for there money around here.

I highly doubt we would have hit 1k if we had run it on GH or even someone's site affiliated with GH like yours or Photeqk's.  Then add in PayPal and/or credit card fees (which would be higher since you're at the individual rate, not the business rate), sorting fees, shipping and shipping materials, and so on, and I highly doubt you could have done this buy cheaper.  MD really was the logical solution for this run since have a wider audience.  I would have loved to see this run in house, but I really doubt that would have worked.

Not only that, but they're a lot more accountable if stuff doesn't get shipped in a reasonable time frame since and it's not just one person shipping out of their house taking a year or longer to get everything out because they discovered they didn't have the time to ship that they thought they did or they disappeared during production and someone had to take over the shipping.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:54:13 by nubbinator »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #794 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:54:55 »

what would have been cheaper?

the keyset we are all buying

i dont wanna keep going in to it, but gmk charge a price, if it was a gb, that would be the price we pay

by running it through massdrop, gmk charge their price, then massdrop add a percentage on to that, then they also add on an additional fee for the person who brings it to them, in this case, intelli, now as far as i know, this hasnt been commented on, and perhaps in this case it didnt happen, and intelli turned down payment from massdrop in order to make the set cheaper, that would be up to him to disclose

but the set would be cheaper if it was a gb, because either we wouldnt be paying both intelli and massdrops fee, or just massdrops fee

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
« Reply #795 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:58:14 »
I mean this is like the cheapest GMK buy to-date isn't it? I'd say that's pretty good for the community and sets a really good precedent. I don't really care who I'm buying through as long as I like the product and the price.
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #796 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:59:45 »

Show Image

I highly doubt we would have hit 1k if we had run it on GH or even someone's site affiliated with GH like yours or Photeqk's.  Then add in PayPal and/or credit card fees (which would be higher since you're at the individual rate, not the business rate), sorting fees, shipping and shipping materials, and so on, and I highly doubt you could have done this buy cheaper.  MD really was the logical solution for this run since have a wider audience.  I would have loved to see this run in house, but I really doubt that would have worked.

Not only that, but they're a lot more accountable if stuff doesn't get shipped in a reasonable time frame since and it's not just one person shipping out of their house taking a year or longer to get everything out because they discovered they didn't have the time to ship that they thought they did or they disappeared during production and someone had to take over the shipping.

im not gonna argue, logistically for shipping massdrop is a great way to go, i also agree we wouldnt hit nearly 1k as a gb, but you are way off base with everything else, firstly both me and photekq use stripe and both pay business rates, also, the 1000 number is irrelevant, we are currently paying the gmk price for 500 + massdrops fee + intellis fee if he took one, so as a community, if we hit 500 orders (which is totally possible with the amount of support this buy has) then it would have been cheaper

i hate that we are going through this and what not, the buy is over, it is what it is

all i was hoping by mentioning anything to start is that we would get a sign of good faith from massdrop from it being so successful

Offline intelli78

« Reply #797 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:59:47 »

It's not odd at all. Massdrop was able to achieve a significant discount over what I could have gotten, due to their negotiating power and ability to promise sales in volume. Even though they're taking a cut, it's still cheaper for everyone in the end.

As for me, I'll receive $1-2 per set which doesn't even pay for all my OOP expenses, not to mention time.

Although, I'll to openly admit that I want my blog to be financially successful. That's what blogs do, and it's the only way I'll be able to keep up with it long term. There's nothing wrong with that, and I don't like it when people have to apologize on GH for making money in exchange for something valuable. It's not an evil thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not Ayn-Rand-status and I'm all for reselling @ original price in classifieds, those are great things about the keyboard community. But the whole hobby is a materialistic one based on BUYING BUYING BUYING, there's no charity involved, so imo the entire anti-profit attitude is a bit naive and disingenuous.

Just some honest talk. Nothing personal against anyone here.  :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #798 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:59:47 »

i dont wanna keep going in to it, but gmk charge a price, if it was a gb, that would be the price we pay

by running it through massdrop, gmk charge their price, then massdrop add a percentage on to that, then they also add on an additional fee for the person who brings it to them, in this case, intelli, now as far as i know, this hasnt been commented on, and perhaps in this case it didnt happen, and intelli turned down payment from massdrop in order to make the set cheaper, that would be up to him to disclose

but the set would be cheaper if it was a gb, because either we wouldnt be paying both intelli and massdrops fee, or just massdrops fee
well, yes Massdrop's fees might make it cost slightly more, but the shear volume of orders seems to be lowering that price a good deal considering this is cheaper than a similar set like Hyperfuse
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #799 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 17:03:38 »

well, yes Massdrop's fees might make it cost slightly more, but the shear volume of orders seems to be lowering that price a good deal considering this is cheaper than a similar set like Hyperfuse

nice little dig

apart from its not that similar is it

hyperfuse sold half as much, and has significantly more keys