Author Topic: [IC] GMK SKIDATA+ (GB IS LIVE)  (Read 1513275 times)

Offline effectiveduck

Re: [IC] GMK SKIDATA+ (Finalized Renders, Awaiting Pricing)
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:52:51 »
as long as I end up with these great caps on my keyboard!
+1

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:54:58 »
I don't think Massdrop will have any qualms running this after Charred. Hell, they've run a version of Dolch, what, four times?

Before CB I thought GH by itself would be fine. But maybe Massdrop is a considerable alternative because they'll more than likely succeed with GMK caps. I know people here hate Massdrop for understandable reasons, but let's be truthful: Would you as buyers like your set to succeed and you get your caps rather than having them fail and be disappointed? If Massdrop can deliver on that end, then why complain?

Yes, TA was a shipping disaster. But we've heard only from those who've complained. How many is that compared to all the sets that shipped? I wasn't part of that buy so I don't know. And it's not like Massdrop has to ship the items themselves. Sherry so far has shipped his own sets through Massdrop.

I think another GMK set will have pretty good chances on Massdrop. When Originative's RGBY/CMY modifiers went on there, a lot of people complained it was ABS and too expensive, but many others defended GMK's quality. That set ended up tipping right away, though Massdrop's familiarity, breadth of payment options, and security of a guarantee probably helped, too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 10:51:14 by romevi »

Offline ika

« Reply #352 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 11:51:49 »
Massdrop is also good for bringing in newbies. When I first started getting into MK, I took one look at custom keycap sets here in the GB section, saw the price, went "WTF THESE COST MORE THAN MY KEYBOARD" and left. Then I saw Granite R2 on massdrop, thought it was kind of expensive, but noticed that thousands of orders had been made. And down the rabbit hole I went...

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #353 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 13:38:20 »
Hi guys, I'm aware of the PayPal problem and will try to avoid any problems by following the advice in the DT thread. There has always been an open channel of discussion between Ghost, Radio and I, even before this IC was made, so I will be keeping a close eye on their situation and we will do our best to figure it out.

Regarding Massdrop, they are not suitable to run a group buy like this one, because they aren't passionate and don't understand the keyboard layouts and such as well as we do. Also there were ocasionally QC issues with GMK, which I doubt Massdrop would bring up with GMK and know exactly what to discuss and point out to avoid the problems.

Another reason is that I designed this set to be a "complete meal" which will fulfill the needs of numerous keyboard layouts. It is absolutely a niche that would not suit the masses on Massdrop. For example, our base set currently has 137 keys, compared to the 110 keys of most buys. And on that note, I respectfully request to have the Massdrop debate moved to its own thread, so we can focus on the amazingness that is the keyset itself. ;)

Besides, I haven't even announced the [3] pack, which I reassure you, Massdrop would have never put the work into making happen, let alone even come up with the idea.

With the support of the community, I have absolutely 100% confidence that SKIDATA+ will become a reality.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 13:41:58 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 13:40:29 »
Hi guys, I'm aware of the PayPal problem and will try to avoid any problems by following the advice in the DT thread. There has always been an open channel of discussion between Ghost, Radio and I, even before this IC was made, so I will be keeping a close eye on their situation and we will do our best to figure it out.

Regarding Massdrop, they are not suitable to run a group buy like this one, because they aren't passionate and don't understand the keyboard layouts and such as well as we do. Also there were ocasionally QC issues with GMK, which I doubt Massdrop would bring up with GMK and know exactly what to discuss and point out to avoid the problems.

Another reason is that I designed this set to be a "complete meal" which will fulfill the needs of numerous keyboard layouts. It is completely a niche that would not suit the masses on Massdrop. For example, our base set currently has 137 keys, compared to the 110 keys of most buys. And on that note, I respectfully request to have the Massdrop debate moved to its own thread, so we can focus on the amazingness that is the keyset itself. ;)

Besides, I haven't even announced the [3] pack, which I reassure you, Massdrop would have never put the work into making happen, let alone even come up with the idea.

With the support of the community, I have absolutely 100% confidence that SKIDATA+ will become a reality.

Can't wait!
When are we looking to have the GB open?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 13:51:00 »
GB projected to start late Sept, early Oct, just waiting on a few final details.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 14:52:34 »
So I'm not sure if it's the same, but ever since PayPal "updated" their website, instead of having separate options for goods and services, they're now combined into one. Is there any way to distinguish them? If we don't provide a shipping address does that make it a service?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #357 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 14:56:40 »
hype++

you better have some bumped F/J's in [3] tho :)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 19:34:50 »
hype++

Heh, saw your post on classic beige. Would that be a deal breaker for you on this set as well?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 20:01:22 »
hype++

Heh, saw your post on classic beige. Would that be a deal breaker for you on this set as well?

Not really, I don't intend to use this set as it is, the Q@ is too much for me, I intend to mix this set with Sky Dolch alphas, or maybe just use the 1! to =+ with Dolch's and some colored modifiers - primarily I want the 1.75 Control's and whatever unique keycap is in [3]

However, since it's a "complete meal", it should include F/J's, for others, not me in this case
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 20:22:32 »
I'm sorry, but seriously for the very last time, F and J with bars/dashes will not be included, for numerous reasons, one being that they do not contribute to increasing compatibility for different layouts, and another reason being that the silent majority of the site prefers scoops that GMK/Cherry has always used on their keysets, not bars/dashes. I don't wish to touch upon this topic again, there are other threads for it.

If you enjoy the vibrant colours of the set as well as the compatibility of the keysets for different layouts, then please support this group buy. Having compatibility and nice coloured keys is way more important than having dashes on F and J.

The benefits of added compatibility being that, if one day, say you sell your TKL and buy a 1800 or 75% or Lightsaver V2, or even a HHKB/Viper, well guess what? You wouldn't have to sell the keyset, as you could still use them with your brand new keyboard.

If something so simple as not having bars/dashes on F and J is going to stop someone from joining the group buy (the fact that F and J keys already exist in the same legend and profile, so it would be redundant to include these identical keys), then I wish them luck elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 20:43:22 by Karura »

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 20:53:25 »
1. choose deep groove not bars or nipples. great!
2, choose launch this on GEEK HANK not on massdrop. great too!
3, adding novel and vibrant amazing keycaps in [3]. great too!
from above three points. i fully appreciate you and support you and save money for this and awaiting patiently.
Another question is about classic beige set.
As you know, the classic beige set has just  around 100 sets, let alone reaching the 250's MOQ.
After gauging interest of skidata ,i am definitely sure this skidata reach 250 even skyrocket to 500. If we have any chance adding classic beige to this skidata and classic beige need no MOQ and could be produce just only 100 set.
This won't disturb the skidata and increase skidata price. Everyone join in skidata could buy skidata main set ,mod pack and don't buy classic beige. what we need is to make classic beige happen with just 100 sets and have no adverse effect on skidata. Any chance or any possibility?thank you very much.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 20:59:25 by shower_king »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 21:36:23 »

nope
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #363 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 02:28:41 »
I'm sorry, but seriously for the very last time, F and J with bars/dashes will not be included, for numerous reasons, one being that they do not contribute to increasing compatibility for different layouts, and another reason being that the silent majority of the site prefers scoops that GMK/Cherry has always used on their keysets, not bars/dashes. I don't wish to touch upon this topic again, there are other threads for it.

If you enjoy the vibrant colours of the set as well as the compatibility of the keysets for different layouts, then please support this group buy. Having compatibility and nice coloured keys is way more important than having dashes on F and J.

The benefits of added compatibility being that, if one day, say you sell your TKL and buy a 1800 or 75% or Lightsaver V2, or even a HHKB/Viper, well guess what? You wouldn't have to sell the keyset, as you could still use them with your brand new keyboard.

If something so simple as not having bars/dashes on F and J is going to stop someone from joining the group buy (the fact that F and J keys already exist in the same legend and profile, so it would be redundant to include these identical keys), then I wish them luck elsewhere.

LOL

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #364 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 03:38:46 »

Don't be like that because previous GMK - GBs that utterly failed mentioned your type of arrogance to potential customers and we all know what happened to them, disappearing into failed dreams only.

In the beginning you have to be NICE a very simple habit especially since you require their HARD-EARNED money for your sets to be made.  If you keep that up not only are "they" the potential customers going "elsewhere" as you put it but they shall be spreading the word about a Group Buy organizer who is ignoring their requests.

When you're doing any future Group Buys here on Geekhack being arrogant will not pay you any dividends at all especially in the gathering up of the "money phase".  Watch how BunnyLake runs any GB show and learn from him first before going your own way, he can teach you a lot about certain things here.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #365 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 04:09:06 »
I feel that you're mistaken about my intentions Elrick, as the point of my post was to inform and explain the reasons why there can't be another set of F and J in the set.

Pardon me for being vocal about not wanting to repeatedly discuss key choices and selection when it has already been fleshed out.

It has already been discussed many times in this thread, and elsewhere on GH, and I merely ask for the respect of those same individuals that tirelessly, repeatedly bring up the same requests to respect the design choices that have been made. I understand that people are passionate about what they want, and I completely respect that, that is why I felt the need to address it in the most direct and honest way.

It's difficult to satisfy the needs/requests/wants of everyone, and I feel that I have already done the best anyone could have to find a middle ground. There will always be compromises, and I ask that people show some respect. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 04:17:29 by Karura »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 04:29:26 »

Sorry, I detect a flaw in logic.

In the scoops / bars thread the total count comes to 26 votes for scoops, 20 votes for bars. So, even though bar lovers are in the minority, it's still a significant number of people.

It's like saying you won't have winkeyless in the set since it's a minority who use them. Or 1800 layout and other keys you have in there for "compatibility".

Giorgio made a very good point in that thread:

"All group buys should include bars and scoops. The cost is absolutely insignificant, it should be less than 0,8$ per key.

We already support obscure layouts that are never put in discussion, because we need to reach the moq, because it will be easier to resell, and because there be someone who really likes that layout.
All those particular layouts have never been in the original set (beige, skidata etc), so you can't just say that you don't want bars because of historical fidelity. The original Skidata is iso only... So are we erasing the ansi option?"

Having a board that looks nice is enough for some, but I want a board that also feels nice. If my typing immersion is broken because I have the wrong type of homing keys, that's a big issue for some people.

In the end, it's completetly up to you. You're the designer / organiser. You can offer what you like. But listening to what your potential buyers want is part of the deal. You have to balance their demands / requests with the intention of the set and evaluate if they're compatible. If it's easy to incorporate and has a fair number of supporters, it should be added. If it takes the set in a direction away from the original intent, don't add it. Those people who "need" such a feature are then not your target audience. In this case, my opinion is that it's easy to include and has a lot of support, so it should be in.

TLDR: I agree with Elrick. You will get more orders and have more happy buyers if you include F and J with bars on them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 04:37:05 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 04:31:11 »
Just to give a little update on the current status of SKIDATA+:

Paypal will be the method for collecting funds.

Keyset [1] is final and can be expected in the GB.

Keyset [3] will be revealed in the GB stage.

Orange on Blue accent keys confirmed.

GB ordering will begin somewhere in late Sept, early Oct.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 05:10:47 »
But listening to what your potential buyers want is part of the deal. You have to balance their demands / requests with the intention of the set and evaluate if they're compatible. If it's easy to incorporate and has a fair number of supporters, it should be added. If it takes the set in a direction away from the original intent, don't add it. Those people who "need" such a feature are then not your target audience. In this case, my opinion is that it's easy to include and has a lot of support, so it should be in.

This is really great advice, thank you. It resonates with me, and I will take note of it.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 05:28:29 »
Even though I'm in the scoops crowd the arguments being put forward are starting to sway me into thinking that nibs should be part of a gmk set...
what have you done to me khan....

SCOOPS FOR LY4E
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:39:17 by swimmingbird »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:11:40 »
Even though I'm in the scoops crowd the arguments being put forward are starting to sway me into thinking that nibs should be part of a gmk set...

:-*

Btw, thanks Elrick and Oobly for your insight/support

Like I previously mentioned, my F/J requests are no longer personal, I have enough alphas for a lifetime, I just think bumped F/J's would make each GMK set more usable, extend their future reach/usability almost 50% as Oobly pointed out

But as I see there is absolutely no point, I will take my opinions and business elsewhere
(Tho I will most probably put my pride aside and join for a [3] if it includes unique keycaps that can be mashed)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #371 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:18:20 »

You might wanna check the obstacle in which why the RGBY GB is being refunded
it's paypal related
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:19:55 »

it's paypal related

Yeah looks like a total nightmare to use paypal at the moment

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:24:30 »
I think we're more likely to succeed if we handle payment with gold dust in cheap envelopes.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #374 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:36:45 »
hype++

TLDR: I agree with Elrick. You will get more orders and have more happy buyers if you include F and J with bars on them.

You guys are all banned from participating in the GB...

From now on, any further discussion regarding bars, scoops, nipples, dimples, boobs, whatever, will be considered disrespectful towards the GB, and hence violators will be persecuted and banned from participating in the GB.

I hope this helps :p

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #375 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:38:46 »
hype++

You guys are all banned from participating in the GB...

From now on, any further discussion regarding bars, scoops, nipples, dimples, boobs, whatever, will be considered disrespectful towards the GB, and hence violators will be persecuted and banned from participating in the GB.

I hope this helps :p

What has I done...
Forgive me lord of scoops  :'(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:39:26 »
@Karura, you might want to consider this for payments:

To anyone thinking of running a community group buy:

DO NOT INVOICE FOR GROUP BUY ITEMS AS GOODS. INVOICE AS A SERVICE.

Show Image

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:24:12 »

Sorry, I detect a flaw in logic.

In the scoops / bars thread the total count comes to 26 votes for scoops, 20 votes for bars. So, even though bar lovers are in the minority, it's still a significant number of people.

Sorry, but I detect a flaw in your logic.  :P

Most of the supporters of scoops stayed the hell away from that thread, because it's just a ridiculous amount of whining and nagging and I (speaking only for myself at this point) want nothing to do with that.  So I think your numbers are really skewed.  I suspect that a much higher % of bars fans frequented that thread than the % of scoops fans, thus skewing the perspective.

Anyway, on to the actual topic at hand, I'm really liking the direction this is headed.  I've been really on the fence about the set, since I'm cutting back on spending *and* actually already have Charred Orange, but all the extras are just so tempting.  :-/ :confused:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #378 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:32:32 »
Most of the supporters of scoops stayed the hell away from that thread, because it's just a ridiculous amount of whining and nagging and I (speaking only for myself at this point) want nothing to do with that.  So I think your numbers are really skewed.  I suspect that a much higher % of bars fans frequented that thread than the % of scoops fans, thus skewing the perspective.

Yeah, I get tired of being the vocal "voice of dissent," and people accusing me of trying to sabotage group buys. So I've decided to cut back on the argumentative threads. I think most people probably feel the same way, and tend to stay out of those discussions. I tend to have a good feel toward what the vast majority actually want and/or need, so when I do speak up, it's with some authority.

Nobody* wants the bars/nubs.

*Actually, a very small number of people, which is not significant to the total number of people participating in a group buy.

in memoriam

Offline geniekid

« Reply #379 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:41:55 »
Without any real data it's hard to say one way or another.  You should just have a checkbox on the GB order form for scoops vs bars vs no preference (the default) with a disclaimer that the majority vote will take it.  People might cancel their orders when they find out the result but these people wouldn't have signed up anyway so it's not a real loss.

EDIT:  Or if the split turns out fairly even (40/60?) announce that both types will be included.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:53:17 by geniekid »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #380 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:23:34 »

Yeah, I get tired of being the vocal "voice of dissent," and people accusing me of trying to sabotage group buys. So I've decided to cut back on the argumentative threads. I think most people probably feel the same way, and tend to stay out of those discussions. I tend to have a good feel toward what the vast majority actually want and/or need, so when I do speak up, it's with some authority.

*Actually, a very small number of people, which is not significant to the total number of people participating in a group buy.

Hmm... I find this interesting. IMHO most of the bars posters were very clear, level headed and gave good reasons for prefering them and only posted their preference without participating in the drama, whereas it seemed to me it was largely scoop advocates who were becoming.... irrational.

Anyhow, I'd be very interested in the actual numbers on this. I prefer bars since I find the scoops too subtle and the bars are positioned just perfectly for my fingers to sense them without them getting in the way.

I use the F and J from the colour pack on my GMK Dolch set  because they have bars, but I'd prefer there to have also been base colour keys with bars. I could well be a very small minority, but I wonder. Sifo, Data, Melvang and rowdy all cast their votes for bars, so it's not just "noobs" or the uninitiated who prefer them and I don't think it's an "insignificant" number in the end, but as I say, I'd love to have some kind of actual numbers on this. If even just 20 people want bars out of lets say 200 total orders, that's still 10% "unhappy" customers. Is it worth the $1.60 or so added to the total price for everyone to pay? I don't know, that's very hard to say.

It is hard (and tiring) standing up for your views and the rights of GB participants, but as they say,
"you've got to fight,
for your right,
to <own the perfect set of keycaps>"...
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:31:19 »

Hmm... I find this interesting. IMHO most of the bars posters were very clear, level headed and gave good reasons for prefering them and only posted their preference without participating in the drama, whereas it seemed to me it was largely scoop advocates who were becoming.... irrational.

You must have missed the hundreds of posts in various group buy threads that approached thread-crapping levels...  :P  But I think this is not the appropriate place for this discussion.  ;)  No need to further clutter the thread.  :thumb:

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:36:08 »

it's paypal related

Ghost and I have been communicating this entire time. Paypal will not be a problem for us, as I have figured out a workaround for it. Thanks to everyone for their continued support in these hard times, and I really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:46:09 by Karura »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:37:15 »
I prefer bars/nips to scoops, but that's not stopping me from getting this lovely set! As an amateur writer, I'm always going to side with the artist and leave it up to them to make the final decision. Scoops are preserved for the designer's good reason.

Back to the Skidata+, any ETA on when GMK will respond re: the third mock-up? I know it'll pop up when the GB starts, which is projected to start end of September/early October, but any tease is a good tease.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:22:14 »

Most of the supporters of X stayed the hell away from that thread, because it's just a ridiculous amount of whining and nagging and I (speaking only for myself at this point) want nothing to do with that.  So I think your numbers are really skewed.  I suspect that a much higher % of X fans frequented that thread than the % of Y fans, thus skewing the perspective. Personally I'll vote XY for president. Best of both worlds.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #385 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:33:17 »

it's paypal related

Ghost and I have been communicating this entire time. Paypal will not be a problem for us, as I have figured out a workaround for it. Thanks to everyone for their continued support in these hard times, and I really appreciate it.

What's the workaround? Sounds like critical info for other GB leaders!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:35:32 »
Probably's jdcarpe's suggestion.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:57:54 »

Most of the supporters of X stayed the hell away from that thread, because it's just a ridiculous amount of whining and nagging and I (speaking only for myself at this point) want nothing to do with that.  So I think your numbers are really skewed.  I suspect that a much higher % of X fans frequented that thread than the % of Y fans, thus skewing the perspective. Personally I'll vote XY for president. Best of both worlds.

<chuckle> Well said.

In the end it's up to Karura what to include or not. I agree it's an overarching issue that doesn't just affect this thread. My point is not about the numbers as such, but more about the principle. If it's easy and relatively cheap to include and has significant support, why not include it? What counts as "significant support" is the part that's hard to judge here. However, options are good, right?

What it comes down to from the buyers' perspective is: Would you be okay with paying up to $2 extra for the set in order to cater to those who prefer bars or not?

A great set like this will sell well regardless and many will overlook the lack of these caps just to have the set, but there are those who would enjoy the set more with those caps simply because it makes it "perfect" for them, rather than just another "great" set. It's a selling point (and if it comes to it, a re-selling point, too), just like having 1800 layout support or 60% support or Winkeyless support. Only it costs less to add. What are the numbers of people who are going to use this on an 1800 layout compared to those who'll use it on a standard ANSI? Significant or not?

Hard decisions, and I don't envy Karura for being the one who has to make them. GB's are hard enough to do as it is.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:24:31 »
Due in part to the time it takes GMK to come back with updated mockups, I have taken the liberty of creating some myself.

I hope this helps.

Offline mz/x

« Reply #389 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:29:07 »
I don't think Massdrop will have any qualms running this after Charred. Hell, they've run a version of Dolch, what, four times?

Before CB I thought GH by itself would be fine. But maybe Massdrop is a considerable alternative because they'll more than likely succeed with GMK caps. I know people here hate Massdrop for understandable reasons, but let's be truthful: Would you as buyers like your set to succeed and you get your caps rather than having them fail and be disappointed? If Massdrop can deliver on that end, then why complain?

Yes, TA was a shipping disaster. But we've heard only from those who've complained. How many is that compared to all the sets that shipped? I wasn't part of that buy so I don't know. And it's not like Massdrop has to ship the items themselves. Sherry so far has shipped his own sets through Massdrop.
There are pros and cons of Massdrop.
The Triumph Adler shipping was definitely questionable and as you correctly pointed out probably we saw more complaint but that is our nature. In my case with the Triumph Adler I was lucky because I had multiple sets packaged and they cushioned each other so I had no spill at all. Everything arrived as it should be. Since I ordered more if somebody is interested in a Triumph Adler PM me as I have an extra set. :thumb:

Massdrop definitely is more of a large volume place and I am not sure whether it would work. I am not sure how much attention to details they can allocate to this. On the other hand, it is an option as it generates large traffic so it can drive the volume/price. 

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #390 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:31:02 »
Due in part to the time it takes GMK to come back with updated mockups, I have taken the liberty of creating some myself.

I hope this helps.

Show Image

Y-...

You're recreating the original board?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #391 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:51:02 »

I hope this helps.

Show Image

Haha! Beautiful! Cooking up a great set.

<are those Zealios I see at the bottom left? drool... very envious, can't wait for mine to arrive>

Massdrop does tend to generate large amounts of orders and the TA debacle was mostly caused by shipping the caps in old GMK trays, which can be avoided by requesting them to ship in bags like usual SP deliveries. I fear the "new" PMK won't be much better than the old. So I'd either do it the hard way (all yourself) or go with Massdrop if you have it all well in order before you start.

I really need to lighten up a little, I take most keycap-related stuff a bit too seriously nowadays. Life... a bit too stressed in most areas I guess.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #392 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:14:31 »

I hope this helps.

Show Image

Le Creuset, the cookware that costs as much as a Korean custom.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #393 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:08:12 »

I hope this helps.

Show Image

Haha! Beautiful! Cooking up a great set.

<are those Zealios I see at the bottom left? drool... very envious, can't wait for mine to arrive>

I really need to lighten up a little, I take most keycap-related stuff a bit too seriously nowadays. Life... a bit too stressed in most areas I guess.

Haha, thank you! Those are Zealios indeed; they're awesome, and I can't wait to play with them.

It's good to take things seriously, it's a sign that you are passionate about something and really care about it, but always remember to take it easy at times and have fun. :thumb:

The atmosphere of this thread has taken a turn for the worse, and I just want to remind everyone to try to enjoy the process and be positive. :)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:18:33 »

I hope this helps.

Show Image

Y-...

You're recreating the original board?
Well if you want that... but in 60% form, I recommend you take a look here. ;)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: [IC] GMK SKIDATA+ (Final Pre-GB Preparation Stage)
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 00:58:30 »
Updated thread title.

Currently testing the front end and back end of the GB platform.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2015, 01:04:20 by Karura »

Offline ViệtNV

• VNMK
« Reply #396 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 03:56:00 »
Nice job! An IC professionally  :thumb:

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #397 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 04:02:16 »
I rarely throw my money on keyset, but this year all the GB has been amazing
Definitely join this one
:)
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Dee1

« Reply #398 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 09:50:14 »
I'm disappointed to hear we won't have bars on the keys, but the set looks great nonetheless! I'm can't wait for the GB! :)

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #399 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 12:30:02 »
will the groupbuy be organised by massdrop?
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE