Author Topic: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set - Up on Massdrop!  (Read 132047 times)

Offline just66in

Re: [IC] Joker/Eva inspired set
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 18:58:15 »
Whichever color combination it'll be (red on green or purple on green),  the theme base color is already too good not to come back and just take a look  :)) great, great job thesiscamper!

Offline Invaderevan

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 19:18:36 »
I love this, I would definitely pick up a full set of caps. Keep up the good work!

WTTF Ribbits, Ashen V2 MX, Bronins

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:44:57 »
That looks much better with the purple.

I'll say this: even if your set doesn't take off I'd say you have a promising future in doing group buy renders.

Thanks! I'm glad people like the renders I've done :)

Seriously, these are the best renders I've seen. I thought it was a complete set when first I saw it.

I have some key set designs in mind; I may have to contract you!

Edit:
No more red clown lips?

It's a choice between multi-colored print/dyesub legends or doubleshot, I'll be putting up a poll for the specs/details when I figure out how to!

Whichever color combination it'll be (red on green or purple on green),  the theme base color is already too good not to come back and just take a look  :)) great, great job thesiscamper!

I love this, I would definitely pick up a full set of caps. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'll be refining the kits, if you have suggestions feel free to share them!  :thumb:

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 03:50:33 »
I really like the red NERV logo on white keycap so I tried to incorporate geekhack into the logo and avoid copyright issues. Here's an initial design I came up with:

Offline just66in

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 10:25:37 »
I really like the red NERV logo on white keycap so I tried to incorporate geekhack into the logo and avoid copyright issues. Here's an initial design I came up with:

Show Image

Neat! Took me several seconds to spot the difference though haha

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 13:08:57 »
this is something I'd be interested in from the Evangelion perspective.  I like the logo change - Nice job!

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 13:54:52 »
Those renders  :eek: :eek: :eek:

But I would definitely be down for a set of these drop! I'm in love with the green/purple colorway!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 14:04:54 »
Awesome looking set, I'm definitely down to grab a set for myself.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 17:25:59 »
I've been thinking of a name, what do you guys think of "Double Trouble" or "Psycho Duo"?

Edit:
Also "Troubled Minds" or "Disturbed" :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 September 2015, 17:32:27 by thesiscamper »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 17:42:13 »
I suggest "Come Sweet Death" for no particular reason.
I love Elzy

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 19:00:29 »
I suggest "Come Sweet Death" for no particular reason.

I'll add that to the poll once I have it set up, thanks!

Edit:
Poll is up, you can find it here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1TvP_kT4kRe2BaJSv0yAZyYHrAHDHCWwt7LKMvCLhh4Q/viewform?usp=send_form
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:07:49 by thesiscamper »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [IC] Joker/Eva inspired set (Poll is up!)
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 23:18:02 »
The actual reason for why I suggested Come Sweet Death is because an iconic song played in The End of Evangelion is called Komm Susser Tod (put the accent on the U), which translates to come sweet death. Thought it'd be a little fitting for the joker theme too.
I love Elzy

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 23:51:48 »
The actual reason for why I suggested Come Sweet Death is because an iconic song played in The End of Evangelion is called Komm Susser Tod (put the accent on the U), which translates to come sweet death. Thought it'd be a little fitting for the joker theme too.

I'm not familiar with that bit of info but found the name fitting anyway, since death kinda surrounds both characters. Any of the three chosen is fine with me! :)

Offline just66in

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 07:08:18 »
"Come sweet death"... I really like that as it matches these characters haha. Good thinking Sifo!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 07:36:59 »
I think I messed up the poll by editing the "SA" profile choice to  specifically say fully contoured and now the SA votes went to "others". Changing it back seems to fix it so everything's back to the way it was   :))

Just to be clear, the SA choice is meant to be "fully contoured" as in 1-1-2-3-4-4 instead of all 3s or any other combination. Sorry if it confused anybody.

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 09:17:04 »
Even though I'd love to get this as an SA set, I'd pretty much take any profile.  The theme and colors are what I'm most interested in, so you basically have my order no matter what ends up being made.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 12:27:01 »

Reminds me of Last Caress.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 03:57:19 »
This set looks amazing!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 04:20:31 »
This set looks amazing!

Thanks!

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm going to reset the poll and require a sign in, not all the questions though, it's clear SA profile and purple on green mods are the clear winners.

edit:
Link to the updated poll: http://goo.gl/forms/16LPo8NZ5q I'm very sorry for the trouble.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 September 2015, 06:01:24 by thesiscamper »

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 04:33:30 »

This set looks amazing!

Thanks!

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm going to reset the poll and require a sign in, not all the questions though, it's clear SA profile and purple on green mods is the clear winner.

edit:
Link to the updated poll: http://goo.gl/forms/16LPo8NZ5q I'm very sorry for the trouble.
Cool, now we can focus on novelty keys. Looking forward to see the new mockups.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:06:59 »

This set looks amazing!

Thanks!

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm going to reset the poll and require a sign in, not all the questions though, it's clear SA profile and purple on green mods are the clear winners.

edit:

I will be updating the mockups, I'm planning to show renders with both Joker and Eva novelties.

Can anyone confirm if SP does dye-subbed SA PBT caps now? I've read that they can do this now but I can't confirm, I've sent an email to them but still waiting for a response.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:23:54 by thesiscamper »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:11:17 »
Hmm... Only the difficult questions left...

Offline just66in

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 06:45:16 »
This set looks amazing!

Thanks!

edit:

Updated poll taken  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 07:36:19 »

This set looks amazing!

Thanks!

edit:

I will be updating the mockups, I'm planning to show renders with both Joker and Eva novelties.

Can anyone confirm if SP does dye-subbed SA PBT caps now? I've read that they can do this now but I can't confirm, I've sent an email to them but still waiting for a response.
I recently read somewhere on GH that SP can only do PBT SA in like 1U and 1.5U sizes, not enough for a whole board. And making new molds for other sizes is prohibitively expensive (thousands of dollars per size).

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Jedi

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 07:43:45 »
Oh. My. Gawd.  Are you from outer space???  This set is crazy sic!!!
Absolutely in for this set.  That purple, green, and red in your base kit pic is absolutely cool.  Absolutely love the jokes scattered on the keys.  I was thinking the arrow keys could stay purple in the base kit and then offer all green arrows in the extra kit that way they could be mixed and matched.
Any chances for support for Logi/Corsair "non standard bottom" row?

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 07:55:57 »

Absolutely in for this set.  That purple, green, and red in your base kit pic is absolutely cool.  Absolutely love the jokes scattered on the keys.  I was thinking the arrow keys could stay purple in the base kit and then offer all green arrows in the extra kit that way they could be mixed and matched.
I'm also think about the arrow key and for non standard keyboard the main problem is the 6.5x spacebar.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 08:10:37 »
I recently read somewhere on GH that SP can only do PBT SA in like 1U and 1.5U sizes, not enough for a whole board. And making new molds for other sizes is prohibitively expensive (thousands of dollars per size).

Thanks for that, if that is true then the mixed legend process for novelties with multiple colors is most likely a no-go. I guess we'll have to wait for more official info.

Well the initial results for the colors show that purple on green is more popular than red on green, I can add it as an alternate color mod until we know the pricing, then you can decide if it's worth it. I can also add support for non-standard rows, but in the end I'll let you decide if the price justifies adding them. Thanks, I'm glad people are liking this set :)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 09:18:35 »
I really feel the Eva kit needs a lot of work, but this is where we're at right now:

I'll be focusing on this for now, this was originally a Joker set so pardon me if you think the Eva kit leaves a lot to be desired.

By the way, colors are based on SP ABS swatches, RDE for the violet, VAT for the greens, OAS/OBC for orange, and either RA or RN for the reds.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 10:16:22 »
I really feel the Eva kit needs a lot of work, but this is where we're at right now:

Show Image

Show Image

I'll be focusing on this for now, this was originally a Joker set so pardon me if you think the Eva kit leaves a lot to be desired.

By the way, colors are based on SP ABS swatches, RDE for the violet, VAT for the greens, OAS/OBC for orange, and either RA or RN for the reds.

I like it with the orange accents.

BTW, I don't know what Eva is, but what if you went with a basic base kit and separate add-on packs for Eva and Joker? That way you could appeal to both.

Just trying to be helpful, I'm not even sure I'd have a use for a set like this but it's been interesting to watch it evolve over the past few days.

My boards:
More

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 11:01:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

BTW, I don't know what Eva is, but what if you went with a basic base kit and separate add-on packs for Eva and Joker? That way you could appeal to both.

Just trying to be helpful, I'm not even sure I'd have a use for a set like this but it's been interesting to watch it evolve over the past few days.
Eva is from Japanese comic, somethinglikethis.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 11:04:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Eva is from Japanese comic, somethinglikethis.
Show Image

It's from an anime, but the manga was adapted to spike interest before the pilot episode.

It's very good. I'm pretty critical about my Chinese cartoons, and I liked Evangelion a lot. One of the best endings I've seen.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:30:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

Yes we can treat them as separate kits if it makes more sense, you can have the base kit without the novelties if you just want the colorway.  :)

Melissa answered, she said SP doesn't do SA PBT nor sublimate them so unless you guys have other suggestions it seems multi-colored novelties is a no-go.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:31:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Yes we can treat them as separate kits if it makes more sense, you can have the base kit without the novelties if you just want the colorway.  :)

Melissa answered, she said SP doesn't do SA PBT nor sublimate them so unless you guys have other suggestions it seems multi-colored novelties is a no-go.

Stick with SA ABS doubleshot. Multi-colored legends aren't that big a deal really.

My boards:
More

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:39:30 »
Down for the Joker set in any form.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:48:30 »

Wow, really? "Any"? Even this?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 16:43:06 »
Looks really really good. If only it wasn't SA.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:15:48 »

Same
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:22:52 »
Wish it was Cherry as I know I like that, but I'm going to buy it to give SA a chance as I love the themes.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:35:54 »

Same

I'm not really attached to the profile but the poll had it almost 3-to1 for SA, but at least it's the profile you dislike and not the design! :D

Wish it was Cherry as I know I like that, but I'm going to buy it to give SA a chance as I love the themes.

Thanks for giving it a chance! I want to improve this further and I'm open to suggestions.  :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:36:16 »

I've got the Nuclear SA set already which is really nice, I just want a different profile set.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 18:34:49 »
I've been looking for an SA set.  Looks like we've got a potential few in various IC states.  I'll add this to the list of potential buys for me.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 19:10:40 »
I updated the poll, again, after Melissa informed me that they don't do SA PBT. There's no other option for mixed set other than go for pad printed for the multi-colored keys. There's only a couple at the moment, the Unit 1 key and the Joker face with red lips. I figured most of you don't want pad printed legends but the vote for mixed legends was far ahead, so I'll just let you guys decide.

Offline Jedi

Re: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 08:52:01 »
I chose mixed set in the poll when it was up before, but I wasn't thinking "mixed" meant PBT and ABS.  ABS is a fine profile to go with.  I'm typing on SP's DSA ABS keys now and they are far better than the stock ABS most times on any of my MX boards. 

Is there a need for us to update our poll answers?  I tried today but the poll said it was taken down by the OP.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:21:29 »

Wow, really? "Any"? Even this?

(Attachment Link)

Well to be fair, the any is restricted to any of the ones the OP mentioned lol...

....jesus, whatever you linked is a monstrosity....
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:34:10 »
"Troubled Minds."

Holy s**t, that's perfect. OP, I'm totally down.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:44:04 »
Also like this but as others have said I would rather have anything than SA although I think it would be nice in DSA profile :)
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Data

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:56:18 »
I love the Joker side of this set.  I like Eva too but I'm not feeling it as much on this one.  The "comic book" novelty legends really nailed it for me.

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 12:47:56 »
I love the Joker side of this set.  I like Eva too but I'm not feeling it as much on this one.  The "comic book" novelty legends really nailed it for me.

I feel the same way.  I was among the apparent few who actually preferred the red on green modifiers.  For me, that made it seem even more joker-ish.  I'll still buy a set even if it only comes with purple on green though.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 13:42:25 »
 I personally would not be interested in this set but I know of many who would be. Great idea!! I love the *Lose* ctrls

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 15:03:57 »
"Troubled Minds."

Holy s**t, that's perfect. OP, I'm totally down.

I actually preferred "Double Trouble" as it's less serious, but "Troubled Minds" is very fitting :)

I chose mixed set in the poll when it was up before, but I wasn't thinking "mixed" meant PBT and ABS.  ABS is a fine profile to go with.  I'm typing on SP's DSA ABS keys now and they are far better than the stock ABS most times on any of my MX boards. 

Is there a need for us to update our poll answers?  I tried today but the poll said it was taken down by the OP.

There's no need to update the poll, especially since the only way to have multi-colored legends is through pad printing.

Yeah I need to improve the Eva kit, honestly it's been years since I first watched it and I'm kinda stumped with the novelties. I'll be focusing on the Eva kit, I've made some initial changes:

I've updated the GH/Eva logo to follow the 0.02" limitation more accurately. I've moved the Unit 1 key to R4 to replace the Eva unit head for now, and replaced the words MAGI and MAGI 2 with an icon that represents the OS based on this image: http://ayay.co.uk/backgrounds/anime/neon_genesis_evangelion/magi-system-2b.jpg

I'll probably replace/remove the progressive knife.

Edit:
I'm thinking of using "Lose CTRL" in the Eva Kit, but in Japanese. However google translate came up with this "自制心を失います", I thought it would just be two characters.. heh.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2015, 16:03:38 by thesiscamper »