Author Topic: What exactly is Dolch?  (Read 7095 times)

Offline macguy80

What exactly is Dolch?
« on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:39:47 »
Is it a brand/manufacturer, or the name of a particular style?

If the latter, do you guys have a favorite vendor? I'm looking for a good replacement set for my KUL ES-87, though I find the stock caps to be better than I expected.

Thanks!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: What exactly is Dolch?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:48:48 »
It's a way of life.

Offline scubaste

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 17:01:19 »
The term Dolch is commonly used as a reference to the colorway on the Dolch PAC keyboard. This colorway has been reproduced a handful of times in the recent past with slight variations.

more info on the origins:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-1813

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 17:29:51 »
I couldn't find it but I know there was a discussion over this exact topic recently. Maybe rowdy will be along sometime with a link.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 17:38:02 »
Please feed my addiction.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:20:50 »
I ordered Tai Hao (manufacturer) Dolch (colourway) keys about six months ago from Hendy. He's got a vendor subforum. I threw them onto my KUL then switched them to my Royal Kludge.

The top of the line option for the colourway seems to be GMK, which should still be available from Zeal. Massdrop also reruns GMK Dolch from Originative, but that seller seems have a bad history with GH (I'm too new to have been around back then) so I've never been tempted to try that route.

Dolch also seems to be the regular whipping boy for all the too-cool Geekhackers who cry "why do all the noobs like Dolch! Can they not see that <insert name of unicorn vomit colourway> is so much better?!?"  :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:22:33 by jamster »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:39:46 »
Maybe rowdy will be along sometime with a link.

Lol because rowdy reads every thread on this forum. Pretty much accurate.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 03:14:33 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 03:17:25 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74010.0

You people did this to me :p

Eyyy got my 1000 today and though of you. Mostly just because you have a ton of posts...
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 03:29:34 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74010.0

You people did this to me :p

Eyyy got my 1000 today and though of you. Mostly just because you have a ton of posts...

I still don't know how that happened ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:03:29 »
Is it a brand/manufacturer, or the name of a particular style?

If the latter, do you guys have a favorite vendor? I'm looking for a good replacement set for my KUL ES-87, though I find the stock caps to be better than I expected.

Thanks!

Depends on what profile you like. I had DSA Dolch for a while from Signature Plastics, really liked that set. GMK Dolch is around too. One of my favorite colorways for keycaps.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:07:23 »
Dolch is played out.

Handarbeit = progression.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:10:03 »
Dolch is played out.

I would legitimately buy a handarbeit GMK set.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:14:35 »
Still looking for a vintage OG Dolch set.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:16:07 »

What kind of stuff would you trade?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:18:08 »

Monies?  :p

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:19:35 »

Haha ok, I might be acquiring a set in the near future. I'll let you know if I decide to part with it.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:22:12 »

Haha ok, I might be acquiring a set in the near future. I'll let you know if I decide to part with it.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:23:08 »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:23:09 »

No star for you. Conducting biz outside classifieds. Reported.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:23:59 »

No star for you. Conducting biz outside classifieds. Reported.

Maybe your report will make the mods finally notice me  :rolleyes:

also holy **** you stalker stop following me
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:25:57 »
Kisses for everyone, don't get mad.

:-*

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:33:06 »

Reported to HR for sexual advance.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:33:37 »

« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:36:44 by trenzafeeds »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:34:21 »

Reported to HR for sexual advance.

Human rights police harassing me.

:-X

Offline Prelim

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:14:17 »
once you go dolch, there's no turning back :P

2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:32:10 »
It's a way of life.

Exactly.  See my gamer board.   :thumb:

Offline zslane

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 16:44:55 »
The Dolch colorway was the second colorway I ever fell in love with (after Space Cadet). I have two sets of Dolch DSA because Dolch is so awesome (and I only type on sphericals, so no OG or GMK for me, tyvm). The only thing that could possibly be better than Dolch DSA would be Dolch SA. I may need to get a GB going for that...

Dolch is "played out" only for young'uns who have no taste or appreciation for classic, timeless colorways. Handarbeit my arse.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 16:49:22 »
More info on Dolch can be found here: http://keypuller.com/dolch/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 03:24:56 »
Dolch is played out.

If every Dolch PAC had come with Handarbeit on it, the world would be a very different place.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 03:30:02 »
Dolch is played out.

If every Dolch PAC had come with Handarbeit on it, the world would be a very different place.

Maybe everyone would be as colorful as you.  :-*

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 03:34:30 »
Dolch is played out.

Maybe everyone would be as colorful as you.  :-*

I made a Rowdybeit once :D

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40937.msg1236000#msg1236000

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 03:35:45 »
Nice. Rowdybeit =/= unicorn vomit.

Offline jamster

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 03:36:21 »
Is there some kind of historical story behind this handarbeit thing? After Googling it all I can imagine is that perhaps it was the keyboard standard of the Lego company.

Or is it just random colours?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 03:53:23 »
Is there some kind of historical story behind this handarbeit thing? After Googling it all I can imagine is that perhaps it was the keyboard standard of the Lego company.

http://pinchocodia.tistory.com/17

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 06:02:42 »
Dolch is my favourite keyboard from the classics. Perfect layout, perfect key feel, perfect look. It's one board I would never sell, I like it more than my IBM SSK.
Dolch is a classic that should never miss in a serious keyboard collection.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline jamster

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 07:01:52 »

http://pinchocodia.tistory.com/17

Thanks for that... "Handicraft Peacock?" from Google translate I get the impression that some guy in Korea threw a bunch of coloured caps onto a board, and it became some kind of meme...?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 10:57:09 »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 12:29:11 »
Funny thing about Handarbeit, so rare and has crappy switches...
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 14:06:22 »
The only thing that could possibly be better than Dolch DSA would be Dolch SA. I may need to get a GB going for that...

I was thinking the same thing.  Sculpted Dolch!!!   :-*

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 15:00:19 »
Hack'd By Geeks is essentially sculpted SA Dolch with orange legends.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 15:59:27 »
Hack'd By Geeks is essentially sculpted SA Dolch with orange legends.

Huh, never noticed that.

The only thing that could possibly be better than Dolch DSA would be Dolch SA. I may need to get a GB going for that...

I was thinking the same thing.  Sculpted Dolch!!!   :-*

This needs to happen ASAP.

Offline sintklaas73

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:24:22 »
overated stuff. OG PBT sets > ABS DS

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:37:34 »

ABS > PBT

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:59:17 »

Wait. When people say "OG Cherry," are the older Cherry sets PBT? I always assumed they were ABS.

Offline sintklaas73

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:02:29 »
you like it shiny right?  :D

IMHO both are great, but in the long term...ABS shines, Cherry DS / GMK stuff shines and PBT, specially BSP and OG PBT Cherry sets (great smooth feeling) will keep their texture much much longer than Cherry DS / GMK ABS sets.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:05:50 »
Wait. When people say "OG Cherry," are the older Cherry sets PBT? I always assumed they were ABS.

There are both, the ABS doubleshot sets being relatively more common. There are also much less common PBT dyesub sets, which a lot of serious people would call the best-feeling keysets ever produced, but they go for insane prices (usually).
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline sintklaas73

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:14:06 »

You can consider both, PBT and ABS. I believe both type of keycaps were contemporaneous, even DS being older since you can find them from early 80's.
OG PBT sets are great, so are BSP sets (OG DYESUB replicas). BSP supplied Cherry for their MY keyboards according to their GM and still do for the ML switch type.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:58:14 »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 21:29:57 »
you like it shiny right?  :D

IMHO both are great, but in the long term...ABS shines, Cherry DS / GMK stuff shines and PBT, specially BSP and OG PBT Cherry sets (great smooth feeling) will keep their texture much much longer than Cherry DS / GMK ABS sets.

ABS that shines is the best