Author Topic: [IC] Clicky Zealio with a twist  (Read 45702 times)

Offline E3E

Re: [IC] Clicky Zealio with a twist
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 12:13:18 »
This makes me curious to buy an old Chicony with Aristotles and swap the stems into some Gaterons/Zealios. Ultimately though, I was planning on using vintage MX whites in zealio housings for a nice translucent clicky switch. If aristotles can fit into Zealio housings, then I -MIGHT- go that route.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 12:31:44 »
This makes me curious to buy an old Chicony with Aristotles and swap the stems into some Gaterons/Zealios. Ultimately though, I was planning on using vintage MX whites in zealio housings for a nice translucent clicky switch. If aristotles can fit into Zealio housings, then I -MIGHT- go that route.

Aristotle stems get stuck in traditional gateron housings. Only the RGB clear top ones work.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline E3E

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 12:34:21 »

Aristotle stems get stuck in traditional gateron housings. Only the RGB clear top ones work.

Gotcha, so that is a go for use in your current Zealios, right? :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 12:39:19 »
Wow those macro shots are great.  :thumb:  Definitely (still) interested.  ;)

Offline Ashmon

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:11:32 »
I would definitely be interested in a keyboards worth! I do have echo qwack's question? Cherry's click mechanism is constructed in a way that the plastic has to wear away before clicking tactile feel would fade. The mechanism on these seems rather thin. Is there a potential that this would would fail within a much smaller amount of time than something like the CherryMX Blues?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:19:41 »
I would definitely be interested in a keyboards worth! I do have echo qwack's question? Cherry's click mechanism is constructed in a way that the plastic has to wear away before clicking tactile feel would fade. The mechanism on these seems rather thin. Is there a potential that this would would fail within a much smaller amount of time than something like the CherryMX Blues?

I'm not sure if I follow. If you look at the Cherry blue leg, on one side it's actually thinner than the Aristotle legs. Of course, I'll make some modifications so that there isn't such a wide gap. Will definitely be discussing some design changes with Gateron.

Offline Ashmon

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:44:08 »
My apologies, I am a linear guy my self, and I think I miss-read the actual tactile point that the slider interfaces with the switch gate as being the very bottom of the slider. Specifically the part that comes to a very sharp point. Images would make this more clear, but basically ignore my previous comment.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:53:44 »
I'm definitely in for a few hundred...

Offline amharris

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 14:02:32 »
Lovely; just lovely.
Though, (regarding the video), I wouldn't mind the click having a lower tone to it, so that it isn't as piercing to the ears, given that it's louder that MX Blues already are.
Cheers.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 15:07:02 »
Zeal, can you adjust the bottom housing so it has, like cherry, the little cut to fit SMD leds?

Adding that would mean no SIP sockets, or anything to hold the LED legs "straight". My transparent bottom housing mould also can't add that (you can only add more holes to a mould, making something bigger, but can't remove plastic which requires metal in place of it). I think Gateron has a milky bottom one that uses SMD holes though...

AFAIK Gateron does - for Massdrop's Team Wolf drop, they included Gateron switches that were compatible with SMD RGB resistors.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/team-wolf-swappable-switch-mechanical-keyboard

Not sure how compatible they are with regular LEDs, though, or even what the SMD compatible portion looks like.

Yeah, I've seen that post. Unsure what it looks like at the bottom, or how it would affect the structural integrity of the switch when pulling out of a plate.

I have some Cherry RGB switches from a redditor who very likely swapped in Zealio's.

The hole on the bottom is in the same location as the LED holes normally would be, and centered, but it is made to fit a 1.6mm LED, while the legs of through-hole LED's are slightly wider apart (2.54mm I think?).

You could in theory cut holes through the edges of the SMD hole to fit a TH LED inside the switch housing, or widen the SMD LED hole to 2x3mm to allow a whole 2x3x4mm LED fit through it instead of providing pin holes for the LED legs.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 15:19:40 »
Very interested, been looking for some new clicky switches & should be able to pair these with your 135g springs for a good time ^-^

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline hippo008

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 15:46:47 »
im very interested in these.

Btw, any estimation on when those 62g purple stems are coming back in stock?

Offline E3E

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 16:37:02 »
Also, with a name, just call them cyan Zealios, Zeal. Lol, I mean there's no special name for the linears or the purple Zealios! Cyan Zealios would be the most simplistic. :)

Offline ika

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:04:01 »
I really like the characteristics of the click but personally I would prefer a lower pitch sound, like a "tak tak" or even "tok tok" instead of a "tik tik". Not sure if that's possible with the way the mechanism works. I'll probably grab enough for a 60% for experimentation.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:48:12 »
Damn, that's one hell of a click! I still want them, but I'm certain this will be an alone-time board because if it's as loud and sharp as I think it is, they're set to be the most annoying switch to coworkers and loved ones yet.  :p Definitely want to see some decibel graphs in a comparison.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:36:56 »
I feel like I'd need to hear these in person and feel them to know the difference.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:39:58 »
I really like the characteristics of the click but personally I would prefer a lower pitch sound, like a "tak tak" or even "tok tok" instead of a "tik tik". Not sure if that's possible with the way the mechanism works. I'll probably grab enough for a 60% for experimentation.

I think the pitch may change a little depending on the plate where they were mounted, material and thickness, and on the housing used with the particular setup, at least I hope so, I do prefer lower pitch as well.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 21:24:55 »

I think the pitch may change a little depending on the plate where they were mounted, material and thickness, and on the housing used with the particular setup, at least I hope so, I do prefer lower pitch as well.

Aluminum plate + closed case + thick abs/pbt (personally I prefer the thick abs sound) = lower switch sound.
A plastic plate with thicker abs will actually add a pleasing "thock" sound in my experience, which I find very pleasing.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 21:32:53 »

Aluminum plate + closed case + thick abs/pbt (personally I prefer the thick abs sound) = lower switch sound.
A plastic plate with thicker abs will actually add a pleasing "thock" sound in my experience, which I find very pleasing.

Dammit, I'm just gonna have to buy ALL the plate options for the Octagon v2 to figure out what I ultimately like the most w/ vintage whites in Zealio housings.

Oh well. It must be done.

Hmm, a plastic plate would be the easiest to mod for Alps...

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 22:08:28 »
In my heart, I'm looking for White ALPS with an MX-compatible stem.  This looks closer than conventional Blues and Greens, but I'm still suspicious.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 22:18:03 »
Sounds cool but I'm not a clicky guy...
" I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. "

Offline Jedi

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 23:47:56 »
Gateron blues just don't do it for me, cherry blues I can tolerate, but Gateron blues sound like your typing on eggshells.  They're also too light.  I already am in for the purple tactile zealios but I'm wondering how far improved these aqua blue zealios are from the gateron blues.  Now if we're talking something near cherry white or cherry clear, then game on! :p

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 00:30:11 »
I feel like I'd need to hear these in person and feel them to know the difference.

If you happen to live in or near NorCal I'll be bringing my board to WASD on Jan 9.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 00:53:52 »
sorry, i got distracted and forgot to make a video.
here we go. board #1 on the top that i start with is mx blues.
the second board bellow is mx housing with aristotle plungers.
on the aristotle switches i have 80g springs.

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 02:33:00 »

Yo that second one sounds amaaaaazing. I thought I was out of the clicky game but if it sounds like that...

Offline E3E

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 06:16:04 »

So the aristotles are higher pitched and sound more "ticky," not sure if I really like that sound. Though, like Alps, the magic MIGHT be in the bottom out. Now that I think about it, it is somewhat reminiscent of Alps in the click alone.

Your touch seemed very light and deliberate in not bottoming the switches out. How does the bottom out sound on aristotles?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 06:18:22 by E3E »

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 13:11:39 »
More

So the aristotles are higher pitched and sound more "ticky," not sure if I really like that sound. Though, like Alps, the magic MIGHT be in the bottom out. Now that I think about it, it is somewhat reminiscent of Alps in the click alone.

Your touch seemed very light and deliberate in not bottoming the switches out. How does the bottom out sound on aristotles?
its about the same as MX if not a bit more quiet.
the pitch of the click sound depends on the housing that is used.
different plastics different sound

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 14:05:42 »
Looks like a really interesting concept. In for replacing my Gat blues.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 15:50:17 »
I agree with E3E here, Cyan is the best color for these.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 02:14:12 »
Quite interesting indeed but being broken ATM, I'll pass. Thanks for the offer though. ;)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 02:57:31 »
Make them yellow.
Call them cheerios.
Give me royalty because I'm brilliant.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 04:01:26 »
These sound pretty crispy! I'm def interested. :D
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 11:49:37 »
Interested if I can manage to scrounge up the cash!

Zeal was kind enough to send me a prototype awhile ago, and these switches feel awesome. Like the MX blue I always wanted.. closer to the tactility of an MX clear, with a deeper click that doesn't sound so plasticky.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 12:21:48 »
Also, with a name, just call them cyan Zealios, Zeal. Lol, I mean there's no special name for the linears or the purple Zealios! Cyan Zealios would be the most simplistic. :)

Maybe Zealyan :V
You know, Zealio + Cyan, Zealyan.

Linears really shoud be renamed to Zealinears  ;D

Offline SJHL

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 12:41:50 »

Thank you for this clip. Aristole sounds great! Now Im conflicted whether I should either get Tactile or Clicky first..
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2015, 14:56:00 by SJHL »

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 14:47:10 »
I want to try building my own keyboard, small project just a 60% to a start. Learn how to solder, what resistors and diods you need for specific leds and what not. Sounds like fun, count me in, click click click!
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 15:20:44 »
Im in, as a true fan of MX Blue and Clear, and if this switch seems to be their fusion, then why not :D

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 17:09:52 »
I've been given a sample of Aristotle Zealios. They're simply amazing. I almost want to say they feel closer to buckling spring than MX Blue

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:21:37 »
I've been given a sample of Aristotle Zealios. They're simply amazing. I almost want to say they feel closer to buckling spring than MX Blue
Can you post a comparison video?

Offline Tuntematon

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 16:16:08 »
I am very interested. I ordered a barebones White Fox because I am waiting for this switch to exist.

I think Aqua would be a better name than Cyan, it has a better flow.

Offline Tuntematon

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 21:57:25 »

Here's an Aristotle option if you decide to go that route:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qtronix-Scorpius-305-electro-mechanical-switch-keyboard-reduced-width-/121842080516?hash=item1c5e5a9b04:g:GQ4AAOSwiwVWSi8P

I should add that I contacted the seller a while ago to see if it had MX blues and he said it has "just plain white ones", i.e. Aristotle, I think. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2015, 22:01:19 by Tuntematon »

Offline Goranth

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 23:37:08 »
Oh man this is quite exciting.  So excited to see new types of Zealios.  Who needs Cherry switches anyways?  :p

Offline ileben

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 04:10:39 »

So the aristotles are higher pitched and sound more "ticky," not sure if I really like that sound. [...]

Same here, I love tactility, but the thing the puts me off mx blues is exactly the high-pitched thin thick sound, and from this video it sounds like aristotle has even more of that. What I'm really looking for is a deeper, meatier sound, more similar to buckling springs. If such a sound could be achieved, I'd buy the switches in an instant.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline harlw

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:10:17 »
How's this coming along?
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:21:39 »
How's this coming along?

I shipped some early proto samples (along with a bunch of other new projects *cough*) to Gateron on Friday and they should be receiving it tomorrow... Stress test/designing phase will come shortly.

In the meantime, here's another pic :)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:22:53 »
We need to hear the sound, well I need to :D
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:26:12 »

Look in the thread for the videos that were already posted.

Offline harlw

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:43:21 »
How's this coming along?

I shipped some early proto samples (along with a bunch of other new projects *cough*) to Gateron on Friday and they should be receiving it tomorrow... Stress test/designing phase will come shortly.

In the meantime, here's another pic :)
Show Image

Interested to see how they come out!
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 00:27:38 »

Look in the thread for the videos that were already posted.
Yeah somehow tapatalk just isn't my best friend

Thx for the heads up
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline FranksNewLiver

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 20:02:26 »
I miss my clickies, definitely in for a boards worth of Zealistotles