Author Topic: [IC] Clicky Zealio with a twist  (Read 45701 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] Clicky Zealio with a twist
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 20:12:28 »
I miss my clickies, definitely in for a boards worth of Zealistotles

That is a very unique name but a bit over-complicated.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 21:36:57 »
:( Looks like this project won't be feasible.

Will work on project stab.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 21:38:02 »

That's too bad... Is cost the issue?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 21:45:10 »

Cost, possible design issues with dust, different assembly line required, etc.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 21:49:13 »

That's unfortunate. It would have been really cool! Regardless, I'm definitely excited for project stabs!!! (I'm definitely in for a few boards worth!)

Oh, I do have one thing. Would it be possible to gold plate the contacts in the switches? I have one or two that have turned green for no apparent reason... It doesn't affect functionality at all, but it certainly affects looks :)

Offline OTD

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 21:53:30 »
Did not go through all the posts but this will be priced the same as other zealios?

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 22:10:16 »
Did not go through all the posts but this will be priced the same as other zealios?
Zeal just said (two or three posts above) that this won't be happening, due to a few reasons. :( I was really looking forward to it... Oh well, such is life!

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:19:15 »

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Was thinking of putting these in the whitefox when it comes. Project stab = new stabilizer design, or what is that?

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:24:49 »

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Was thinking of putting these in the whitefox when it comes. Project stab = new stabilizer design, or what is that?
I think it's the possibility of having stabs that have clear housings, and purple stems. That would be very, very cool since it would match tactile zealios perfectly!

Offline OTD

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:28:37 »
On to project stab it is.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:29:03 »

Had the same plan for these  :confused: Ahhhhh well, i hope zeal can revive this at some point  ^-^
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:37:19 »
I think it's the possibility of having stabs that have clear housings, and purple stems. That would be very, very cool since it would match tactile zealios perfectly!

Yooo that'd be pretty rad honestly. Got an all semi-transparent build that would benefit from those a lot, the black stabs stand out like sore thumbs.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 00:04:25 »

Yooo that'd be pretty rad honestly. Got an all semi-transparent build that would benefit from those a lot, the black stabs stand out like sore thumbs.
Yeah, I actually pm'd zeal about that a while ago, and he said he was already toying with the idea. It sure would be sweet!

Offline timerwin63

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 18:27:28 »
I actually tried to buy 70 of the Aristotle switches from your store for my current board but there were only about 47 or so in stock. I'd be 100% interested in 70-100 of them. They seem very interesting.
Roses are red, violets are blue. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 18:36:26 »
I actually tried to buy 70 of the Aristotle switches from your store for my current board but there were only about 47 or so in stock. I'd be 100% interested in 70-100 of them. They seem very interesting.
Theoretically, I'll have about 30 left once my LZ rv comes in.

Offline JorisBoers

• ORANGE IS LOVE, ORANGE IS LIVE
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 18:38:05 »
I'd love to get a clicky Zealio, heavier but that can be handled by a simple spring swap ;)

Hope to see this in one of my boards :D
"I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - TenTenSeven

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 19:11:12 »

Thanks for the notice. I've just verified my inventory and have exactly 87 Aristotles remaining. The website has been updated.

I'd love to get a clicky Zealio, heavier but that can be handled by a simple spring swap ;)

Clicky Zealio project (with aristotle-like stem) is forever dormant until further notice. The only way to replicate the feel would be to purchase Aristotles and harvest the stem to put into Zealio housings.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 19:37:21 »
I'd get a set!

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 19:52:21 »

Thanks for the notice. I've just verified my inventory and have exactly 87 Aristotles remaining. The website has been updated.

Clicky Zealio project (with aristotle-like stem) is forever dormant until further notice. The only way to replicate the feel would be to purchase Aristotles and harvest the stem to put into Zealio housings.
I've only done it with one switch so far, but it's amazing! Closest thing to blue alps I've tried so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most tactile clicky switch there is that's mx compatible!

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 20:29:00 »
Dunno why the shipping has to be so expensive, but I've just order 87 Aristotles, at least I hope they'll be here tomorrow

Offline dohbot

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:11:06 »
Any more aristotles left? Would they be back before the summer? How difficult is the modding process? What weight are the aristotle's spring? No support for LEDs? :O
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:19:08 by dohbot »
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:16:43 »

So can I put these Aristotle stem into Gateron housings along with 62g springs to get the clicky zealios ?

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:17:48 »
the reason i dont get aristotle is, it said on description switches do not support LEDs
my wallet saved :p

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:22:46 »
the reason i dont get aristotle is, it said on description switches do not support LEDs

Gateron or Zealios housing would solve that problem, according to Zeal, not that it matters much to me

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:28:35 »

Gateron or Zealios housing would solve that problem, according to Zeal, not that it matters much to me

i ask zeal on zealio GB , zeal said only zealio housing fit. milky gateron housing not fit.
last time i ask gateron clear top black bottom still not available, so i dont know if gateron clear top black bottom would fit..

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:32:41 »

i ask zeal on zealio GB , zeal said only zealio housing fit. milky gateron housing not fit.
last time i ask gateron clear top black bottom still not available, so i dont know if gateron clear top black bottom would fit..

I'll try with my Gaterons from MD when they get here

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:59:59 »
Dunno why the shipping has to be so expensive, but I've just order 87 Aristotles, at least I hope they'll be here tomorrow
I wouldn't count on it. Afaik, Zeal is still working through his orders from the GB.

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 07:14:45 »
I harvested about 100 Aristotle switches from old keyboard I got. Now I'm waiting for my R2 Zealios to come :)

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline Prankk

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 14:47:52 »
If this happens I'm in.

Offline harlw

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 23:36:27 »
Want some if they come around again

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 02:23:16 »

It works! And man, these are loud and crisp, unlike Cherry/Gateron sticky click, these sound really crisp. It's just that the stem is a little bit higher. I'll try with the actual Zealios housing to see if it's also like that. For now, I'm gonna put these into my keyboard and imagine that I have a board made out of Clicky Zealio

Offline E3E

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 07:16:32 »

I put some vintage MX white stems in a linear Zealio housing (linear/tactile are the same housing-wise anyway).

Eh, I don't think I'm going to be using these since  I gave away my Octagon v2 spot, so we'll see what becomes of them.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 09:19:27 »
Interested & looking forward to your group buy when it happens!

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 02:45:26 »

We don need no steenk'n assembly!

How much for a bag of parts??? Never mind, just take my friggin' money!!!

Offline richfiles

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 16:41:36 »
**EDIT**
Crud... Just saw this fell through. That's a real bummer on this not happening... It really looked interesting.  :'(

I know nothing of these "Aristotle" switches, so new question, If I managed to salvage a keyboard with these Aristotle stems, would it be possible to transplant them into my current keyboard with Gateron Blue with "milky" top and bottom housings? These were from the last two batches of Blues from Massdrop before they switched to Black bottom housings and clear top housings. It's a big deal for me to retain the milky housings, as the bottom housing is hand wired, and I ain't redoing that, and the top housings are dyed.

If a mod like that were possible, plus the use of a much heavier spring, how would it compare to Alps Amber?

Again... Sorry to hear these didn't go through.

---Original post---

So, a few questions... With the different internal stem configuration, is it possible to transplant the Gateron "milky" top housings in place of the transparent tops on these? I dye my switch tops, as shown in the image, and quite frankly... I have no idea if the transparent clear tops will even take dye or look right. If I got these, I'd want to be able to transplant the top housing... Is that possible?

Second, My favorite switch ever, is Alps Amber (from the keyboard of the Apple //c Extended Memory Model). It has such a strong, thunky click, and a wonderfully heavy weight. It's heavier than Greens! How would these compare to Alps Amber? I know you mentioned a 62g or 67g spring... No heavier options, like an MX Green? I suppose I could always get springs, and replace them, since I'd have to swap tops anyway. If I bought milky topped Gateron Greens, then I'd have both the top housing and a heavier spring. I could then rebuild those switches with the 62g or 67g springs and the clear tops, and maybe see if anyone wanted them.

Basically, I am curious how these would compare to Alps amber, and my choosing them would be 100% dependent on whether I can use the Milky top housings on these.

Just gonna also throw my hat in and say I also like "Tealios, or Tzealios" as a name.

134113-0
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline timerwin63

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 02:09:46 »
If anyone would know where to find 70 Aristotle switches (considering Zeal got bought out), I'd love to know where. I found 3 in a bag of random switches my roommate gave me when he graduated and these things feel amazing! Makes me sad to know I might never get to put them in a board.
Roses are red, violets are blue. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 11:43:32 »
If anyone would know where to find 70 Aristotle switches (considering Zeal got bought out), I'd love to know where. I found 3 in a bag of random switches my roommate gave me when he graduated and these things feel amazing! Makes me sad to know I might never get to put them in a board.

Your best bet is to go on eBay and search for keyboard such as Chicony Keyboard, they have Aristotle switches. You can just take the stems, put them into Gateron housings and enjoy the click. I know I do