Author Topic: Tools that you believe are a Godsend  (Read 11806 times)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
Tools that you believe are a Godsend
« on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:45:34 »
Personally I have trouble desoldering and it is a pain in the butt. I've tried many solder suckers and I even bought a $200 desoldering station but even that couldn't do the job. I used this solder sucker I got a good seal and pop all the solder is gone.

If you need a great solder sucker this does the job  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MJMXD4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Now share some tools that you believe might make life a little easier.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
Re: Tools that you believe are a Godsend
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:53:40 »

Don't bleed and jet black,

I cannot use anything else
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:56:53 »
Show Image

Don't bleed and jet black,

I cannot use anything else

Love me some Microns

Helping Hands. Perfect addition for soldering.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:25:59 »
Personally I have trouble desoldering and it is a pain in the butt. I've tried many solder suckers and I even bought a $200 desoldering station but even that couldn't do the job. I used this solder sucker I got a good seal and pop all the solder is gone.

If you need a great solder sucker this does the job  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MJMXD4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Show Image

I can vouch for the SS-02 myself, I love that little thing and the build quality is great. The only downside is that it doesn't hold too much solder, maybe two or three switches at a time before you just pull out the dried up solder(still pretty easy).
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:29:31 »

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:35:58 by Solo »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:32:56 »

Show Image

I can vouch for the SS-02 myself, I love that little thing and the build quality is great. The only downside is that it doesn't hold too much solder, maybe two or three switches at a time before you just pull out the dried up solder(still pretty easy).
This is true after 3 switches I had to pull out the solder. A little extra work but I rather get the solder out in one suck than to burn the pad off.
Show Image

I love a good mechanical pencil.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:35:42 »
In most manual tasks the proper tool makes all the difference.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 17:24:37 »
Datavac.
Cigarette rolling machines.
the Rabbit wine opener.
Swiss Army Knife.

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 18:28:32 »

Show Image

Wow, that looks really premium. I'm using a Hakko DS-01 and quite happy with the results, but it's huge..
B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 18:32:48 »
122563-0

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 18:34:32 »
In most manual tasks the proper tool makes all the difference.

Absolutely. For work I find myself grabbing for one of these most often. Much faster than a regular driver, but a lot more convenient than a drill.

Might help if I put the link: https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/drivers/rapi-driv-screwdrivers
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline raymogi

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 18:37:23 »
Datavac.

Been debating on getting this. Is it recommended over the O2 Hurricane?
Please feed my addiction.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:12:38 »
Old carpenter's jokes:

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem."

"If it is supposed to move and it doesn't: WD40 - if it moves and it is not supposed to: duct tape."
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:34:06 »
lego brick separator.  really i wish i had one of these back when i was growing up.  i can see the teeth marks on my old lego bricks.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Brick-Separator-630

pro tip:  get at least two.

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:36:10 »
lego brick separator.  really i wish i had one of these back when i was growing up.  i can see the teeth marks on my old lego bricks.

Oh snap, nostalgiaing HARDCORE......

Offline jaffers

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:38:24 »

Show Image

That is a sexy solder sucker. I think I'm going to grab myself one of them.

I use a few different tools but the tool I use the most is my pen for uni

Pilot Mr Metropolitan Animal Edition ~ Lizard, in Extra Fine.

Its fantastic and cheap too

Other than that I'd have to say I use my CRKT Squid a lot. Its cheap enough and small enough to be a good bash about EDC but is fantastic quality. Locking mechanism is tight as ever, feels good in the hand, and keeps a blade for what I'd consider reasonable. And I have really bashed this knife about. Used it to take off trims for a room (i.e. as a leaver), clean the varnish off a sanding belt (because we didn't have anymore. I know this is like the worst thing to ever do to a knife, literally putting the blade on a sanding belt. BUT it held up, obv needed a sharpen) and a variety of other jobs it probably wasn't meant to be used for.

AND TWEEZERS! I go through tweezers like water. Originally I got them in my ifixit tool kit, but then after wearing them down I needed more. So I jumped on ebay and there are a dollar store part, 6 for 1 AUD, so I bought 25 dollars worth. Now I don't buy tweezers anymore

Original Pack they came in
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-072-1

Ebay Link:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vetus-ESD-Safe-Anti-Static-Stainless-Steel-Tweezers-Maintenance-Repair-Set-BWN-/321958028040

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:48:36 »
Datavac.

It's under $50 and built tough. All metal and hard plastic attachments with a fairly powerful action.
Only two drawbacks are there is no power adjustment and the default setting will knock everything off your desk like a hurricane. Secondly is it's not wireless, but the cord is about as long as that of a vacuum cleaner but is not detractable so all that cord can make it a pain to store.
Otherwise the DataVac is vastly overqualified for my home office needs on an affordable budget.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:50:10 »
Datavac.

It's under $50 and built tough. All metal and hard plastic attachments with a fairly powerful action.
Only two drawbacks are there is no power adjustment and the default setting will knock everything off your desk like a hurricane. Secondly is it's not wireless, but the cord is about as long as that of a vacuum cleaner but is not detractable so all that cord can make it a pain to store.
Otherwise the DataVac is vastly overqualified for my home office needs on an affordable budget.

I think I know which one I'm getting. Thanks for the quick review sir!

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:51:41 »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:55:00 »

Show Image

AND TWEEZERS! I go through tweezers like water. Originally I got them in my ifixit tool kit, but then after wearing them down I needed more. So I jumped on ebay and there are a dollar store part, 6 for 1 AUD, so I bought 25 dollars worth. Now I don't buy tweezers anymore

Original Pack they came in
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-072-1

Ebay Link:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vetus-ESD-Safe-Anti-Static-Stainless-Steel-Tweezers-Maintenance-Repair-Set-BWN-/321958028040

awesome thanks for that link will be buying me some tweezers. I just recently bent my tweezers and I've been looking for some very pointy ones.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 17:39:42 »
Datavac.

I think I know which one I'm getting. Thanks for the quick review sir!
definitely go with the datavac - i don't own one, but we do happen to have a hurricane in the office and it is ****ing LOUD. for all of its noise it has a disproportionate lack of power
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:05:17 »
I use this thing like every day. Even if it's just to open bottles.

omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline raymogi

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:27:05 »
Was surprised the datavac is damn strong and loud. I plugged it in without knowing the power switch is at on and it blew itself away, just couple inches away from damaging my Macbook.

Cleans damn good though so I'm satisfied.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:30:38 »
Was surprised the datavac is damn strong and loud. I plugged it in without knowing the power switch is at on and it blew itself away, just couple inches away from damaging my Macbook.

:)) Haha yeah it packs a whallop. Enjoy the feeling of a dust-free work environment.  :thumb:

Offline raymogi

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:33:23 »

:)) Haha yeah it packs a whallop. Enjoy the feeling of a dust-free work environment.  :thumb:
I'm using the smallest attachment on it cause I use it to clean my screen and keyboard only. Is it safe to point it right at the screen though? Right now I'm still using it like a feet away from anything I want to clean.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 00:49:25 »
Leatherman Wave.

Got it for XMas 2014, thinking I'd never use it. Now I panic if I don't have it on me.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 01:02:42 »
I personally find helping hands total ****.  The best for the money at out level of work is the Panavise.

Outside of that, I have to give it to most US made hand tools.  Very tough to beat for the price.  Granted I used my hand tools every day at work, so a bit different than most people with them.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 01:11:57 »
I have a few tools i cant live without. Snap-on ratcheting screwdrivers, my pocket knife, my pry bar set... but the one thing that gets used all the time and has held up for the last 10 years is this:

-Dana

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:11:22 »
Does the pill count as a tool?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 05:12:12 »
Does the pill count as a tool?
It has change the world hasn't it?

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 05:34:23 »

I game/type for hours a day, why not use something that you enjoy. You wouldn't think a crazy wide keyboard made of a bajillion pounds of solid metal death would be a pleasurable tool, but I can't stand typing on any other board, no matter how ergonomically sound, for very long before I go back to my beloved Bertha.

I've always hated writing. I've written more in the last few months with my fountain pens than I have in the last ten years. Wider pens and smoother writing and an enjoyable experience make me actually enjoy something that was always physically painful.

Shut up I know Razer sucks. I can't live without this thing. Skills/targetting allies in games? Check. One button arcane photoshop shortcuts? Check. Perfect size and comfort level? So check. 'Let's try one of these dumb MMO mice', I said, 'Amazon warehouse deals has a cheap one', I said, 'It'll be stupid and I'll probably never use it but what the hey'. I ordered it along with a Blue Snowball mic in December 2014. The mic went back to Amazon because I hated it. The mouse has only moved from its spot because I got a different desk.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 08:26:33 »

I game/type for hours a day, why not use something that you enjoy.
You wouldn't think a crazy wide keyboard made of a bajillion pounds of solid metal death would be a pleasurable tool,
but I can't stand typing on any other board, no matter how ergonomically sound, for very long before I go back to my beloved Bertha.

Convert the old girl to ANSI and you will like her even better.

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 10:08:23 »

Show Image

appleonama

Mind telling us how many joints you have done with that sucker?

My experience is that nearly all suckers work well on the first 10 joints. After that...
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline animal

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 10:11:49 »
Women! The ultimate household appliances :)
Real men do it with a keyboard.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 10:58:29 »

Show Image

appleonama

My experience is that nearly all suckers work well on the first 10 joints. After that...

I've desoldered all the LEDs three times on Pok3rs, and numerous switches and LEDs on other boards when swapping out a bum switch or mistake. Mine is still working just fine.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:29:54 »

appleonama

I've desoldered all the LEDs three times on Pok3rs, and numerous switches and LEDs on other boards when swapping out a bum switch or mistake. Mine is still working just fine.
[/quote]

You mean that for the $29.95 price, you got a sucker that doesn't need major cleaning work after every few joints? Do you ever do any maintenance or cleaning on your sucker, or do you just pump, suck, pump, suck, and empty out the reservoir after using, without having to do extra work?

is it the exact same model that appleonama linked us to?
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:32:10 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:37:09 »

Show Image

appleonama

You mean that for the $29.95 price, you got a sucker that doesn't need major cleaning work after every few joints? Do you ever do any maintenance or cleaning on your sucker, or do you just pump, suck, pump, suck, and empty out the reservoir after using, without having to do extra work?

is it the exact same model that appleonama linked us to?

It's the exact same one, after a few joints when you press the button back down it will push the solidified solder through the hole and you can just pull it out. There's nothing really to clean or maintain, there really isn't a reservoir but it's very easy to get rid of the solder. For the price it works pretty damn well and is of good quality.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 19:43:17 »
my number one must have tool would have to be a Stanley hand plane.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 19:55:40 »
Everyone should have a swiss mechanical watch ;)

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:07:32 »
. . .
. . .
OMG, where has this been all my life? Ordered it just now--thanks!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:10:13 »
. . .
. . .

Just a little pro tip with that one, the rubber silicon will not melt with the solder tip so just heat the solder until it flows and try to get the best possible seal with silicon of the solder pump and then press the button. :thumb:

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:11:50 »
Sysinternals Suite :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:51:06 »
My Leatherman. 25 year guarantee, serrated blade, saw blade, nice knife, and loads of other tools on it, it's awesome.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:14:44 »
My Leatherman. 25 year guarantee, serrated blade, saw blade, nice knife, and loads of other tools on it, it's awesome.

+1 to that.

You can never go wrong with a Leatherman. :thumb:

Offline blackbox

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 02:24:26 »

+1 to that.

+1 Things I dont leave my home without: leatherman wave and duct tape
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 06:40:33 »

+1 to that.

+1 Things I dont leave my home without: leatherman wave and duct tape

+1 leatherman mut here, that saw has come in handy so many times. Also i keep a roll of rape tape in my car

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 06:42:38 »
. . .
. . .

I don't know why other solder suckers don't use a silicone tip. The cheap plastic tip melts right away. I never knew how heat resistant silicone was. I tried to burn a keycap mold made out of silicone and nothing happened.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 06:51:32 »
I moved from assorted Leathermans to an SOG PowerAssist (force multiplying jaws and assisted opening blades on the outside). It's amazing and I don't ever leave home without it.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:20:51 »
. . .
. . .

I don't know why other solder suckers don't use a silicone tip. The cheap plastic tip melts right away. I never knew how heat resistant silicone was. I tried to burn a keycap mold made out of silicone and nothing happened.

OK, so this is a silicon tip. That makes sense. I was looking with a skeptical eye since most tips are plastic and don't survive a long soldering session.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 13:49:18 »
Pretty awesome tools:

* Writing (and related tools like paper, codices, etc.), and language in general
* The city
* Mathematical notation (even though some parts are kind of dumb and could use updating)
* Logarithms (and slide rules)
* Calculus
* Geometric algebra
* Chebyshev polynomials
* The discrete Fourier transform
* Maxwell’s equation(s)
* Glass windows
* Refrigeration
* The court system
* Public libraries
* The post office
* Representative democracy
* Non-violent civil disobedience
* Open source
* Lambda calculus
* PEG grammars / packrat parsers
* The Python programming language
* TCP/IP, Email, IRC, HTTP, and so on
* The Munsell color system and its derivatives
* A shower with hot water
* The washing machine
* Chopsticks
* Photoshop
* Incandescent light bulbs (and the electric grid generally)
* The Socratic method
* The vacuum flask / thermos
* Condoms and other birth control
* Diapers
* Blankets
* Flexible shoes (e.g. shoes with canvas soles, thin leather mocassins, Vibram five-finger shoes)
* The Aeropress
* Wikipedia
* Rope
* Binoculars