Author Topic: Looking for Suggestions - Can't Stand MX Blues - Background Inside  (Read 4146 times)

Offline energ1zer

So for awhile I've had a Steelseries 6Gv2 with MX Reds, and really enjoyed using it. However, recently I was given a (practically brand-new) Corsair K70 with MX Blues, and I've been far from happy with it. Although this'll probably annoy many users here, I don't type "properly," or with my hands on the "home keys," or whatever my teachers used to call them. Although I haven't really though much about it before, I guess I use my four fingers (excluding thumb) on my left hand, and pretty much just my middle finger on my right. I've gotten to the point where I've done it for long enough that I don't need to look at my keyboard to type (as I'm sure almost none of you do anyway, but...), so I'm not really so sure I'd like to sacrifice my typing speed in favor of a more traditional (and probably faster in the long run) method of typing. Anyway, what this means, is that I don't really rest my fingers on the keys (afaik), so the light force needed to press the MX Reds doesn't really affect me (not many accidental keypresses). However, I'd like to buy another keyboard for my second desk, and was looking to try something other than the reds I've been using. In the past, I've always assumed I liked Blues, as I (sometimes) enjoyed the sound that I now feel to be completely obnoxious. In addition, I feel like I have to break through a "wall" to actuate the blues. (I know, they're tactile). So I guess what I'm asking is, in short, does anyone have any recommendations for other keyboards/switches I should try, possibly tactile switches that have a lower reqd. force than blues.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
Re: Looking for Suggestions - Can't Stand MX Blues - Background Inside
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 07:52:14 »
"Breaking through the wall" as you put it is how the tactile switches operate, so it sounds like you prefer linear switches. You could try cherry mx brown just to get some frame of reference, as they are 45cn actuation like the reds, but due to the initial resistance prior to actuation, will be a bit higher.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 07:53:35 »
If you think Cherry switches are good, then brown is the obvious next experiment.

If you are good with your hands, you should "jailhouse" the blues.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline energ1zer

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 08:02:56 »
If you think Cherry switches are good, then brown is the obvious next experiment.

If you are good with your hands, you should "jailhouse" the blues.

To be honest, I don't have a particular attachment to Cherry switches, I'm open to all suggestions. Is there any advantage to jailhousing the blues over just getting something with browns, other than saving money? I'd be open to selling the K70 and buying something with browns...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 08:39:38 »

Is there any advantage to jailhousing the blues over just getting something with browns,

Higher actuation, shorter travel, less noise.

Personally, I think that MX blue is the most annoying switch there is, but jailhouse blues are quite nice.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38091.msg732967#msg732967

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline energ1zer

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 08:51:01 »

Is there any advantage to jailhousing the blues over just getting something with browns,

Higher actuation, shorter travel, less noise.

Personally, I think that MX blue is the most annoying switch there is, but jailhouse blues are quite nice.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38091.msg732967#msg732967

Might try that this weekend, though this'll be my first attempt at anything remotely like this. I'll update if and when this happens.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 09:35:57 »
You could try Topre or Noppoo/PLUM/RK capacitive switches in 45g or even 35g flavor.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline energ1zer

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 11:22:14 »
You could try Topre or Noppoo/PLUM/RK capacitive switches in 45g or even 35g flavor.

Where would I be able to get a premade keyboard with topre 35g switches? I misunderstood, I see now that the reason I couldn't find any is because there are only 30g switches.

I'd also like to test some different topre switches, but haven't seen a tester for relatively cheap...any ideas?
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 11:27:56 by energ1zer »

Offline Elaeagnifolia

• Click Quack.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 12:02:35 »
Where would I be able to get a premade keyboard with topre 35g switches? I misunderstood, I see now that the reason I couldn't find any is because there are only 30g switches.

I'd also like to test some different topre switches, but haven't seen a tester for relatively cheap...any ideas?

Cooler Master offers a $20 w/ Free Shipping switch tester that includes a 45g Topre + 5 other Cherry MX Switches. http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-key-switch-tester-v2-free-shipping/

Another option is to pay $33.33 for 30g/45g/55g Topre keychain switches off eBay.

Alternatively, you could always buy a Topre keyboard and resell it for a small loss. I recommend the latter of the three options since, in my opinion, typing on a Topre is vastly different from pressing a single Topre switch. I've seen posts mentioning how they disliked when they tried Topre as a single switch tester but absolutely loved typing on an actual Topre keyboard.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 12:09:06 »

Cooler Master offers a $20 w/ Free Shipping switch tester that includes a 45g Topre + 5 other Cherry MX Switches. http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-key-switch-tester-v2-free-shipping/

Another option is to pay $33.33 for 30g/45g/55g Topre keychain switches off eBay.

Alternatively, you could always buy a Topre keyboard and resell it for a small loss. I recommend the latter of the three options since, in my opinion, typing on a Topre is vastly different from pressing a single Topre switch. I've seen posts mentioning how they disliked when they tried Topre as a single switch tester but absolutely loved typing on an actual Topre keyboard.
Also the NPKC switch tester on ebay that houses 17 switches (two varieties available: Kit A, or Kit B)
Ebay - NPKC Switch Tester

I would probably hot glue the Topre tester switch to an unpainted solid surface (fridge would work) and try the switch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 12:25:35 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline Elaeagnifolia

• Click Quack.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 12:16:14 »

Also the NPKC switch tester on ebay that houses 17 switches (two varieties available: Kit A, or Kit B)

I would probably hot glue the Topre tester switch to an unpainted solid surface (fridge would work) and try the switch.

IIRC, the NPKC doesn't have Topre switches to test though, right? OP mentioned he wanted to test Topre, so I didn't include the NPKC or other Cherry MX/Gateron switch testers. If he wanted to test Gateron and Cherry switches though, NPKC is definitely one of the ways to go.  :thumb:

Also, your link's broken. ;D

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 12:20:50 »
You could also try Matias Quiet Linear switches.  They have a 35cN actuation and are dampened to be quieter.

You can get them on a KBP V80 or V60, or on a Matias brand keyboard.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 12:25:58 »
I don't recommend either Matias or topre for you.
Both switches feel somewhat heavier.
And even though 35g topre is quite light the feeling is terrible and I don't like it at all.

Either go with browns or jailhouse blues.
Gateron browns also have a higher point of actuation by themselves without any modding.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 12:28:38 »

IIRC, the NPKC doesn't have Topre switches to test though, right? OP mentioned he wanted to test Topre, so I didn't include the NPKC or other Cherry MX/Gateron switch testers. If he wanted to test Gateron and Cherry switches though, NPKC is definitely one of the ways to go.  :thumb:

Also, your link's broken. ;D
Fixed! Thank you :) I dropped the NPKC switch tester in the mix because of the OP's thread subject. I've heard good things about Gateron switches, and I believe KIT B is mostly cherry/gateron.
Chris Schammert

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 13:07:47 »
MX blues: “breaking through a wall” is exactly how I would describe them. Worst clicky switch ever.
Sounds like you might want to try a light tactile.

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 14:20:46 »
So I just got the NKPC switch tester from massdrop in the mail, and Cherry MX Whites are VERY interesting! I've never felt anything quite like it (heavy 80cN with a definite click but much softer than the green). Definitely far less of a "breaking through a wall feeling". Instead, it has a comfortable audible click halfway down the stroke. Unfortunately, I hear they're quite hard to come by in a full keyboard, and I've yet to see one for sale anywhere.

If you want to have lower actuation force and are open to linears, give Matias Quiet Linears a shot. They feel truly unique. The key is very easy to press, but because of the dampening, you get this cushioned feeling when bottoming out. You sort of feel as if you could depress it lower if only you pressed harder. The dampening on the upstroke also makes them really quiet.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 15:03:44 »
So I just got the NKPC switch tester from massdrop in the mail, and Cherry MX Whites are VERY interesting! I've never felt anything quite like it (heavy 80cN with a definite click but much softer than the green). Definitely far less of a "breaking through a wall feeling". Instead, it has a comfortable audible click halfway down the stroke. Unfortunately, I hear they're quite hard to come by in a full keyboard, and I've yet to see one for sale anywhere.

If you want to have lower actuation force and are open to linears, give Matias Quiet Linears a shot. They feel truly unique. The key is very easy to press, but because of the dampening, you get this cushioned feeling when bottoming out. You sort of feel as if you could depress it lower if only you pressed harder. The dampening on the upstroke also makes them really quiet.
Whites are nice, problem is they are very inconsisetent, some will click loudly, others quiet, some not at all.

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 15:06:14 »
Now that you mention it, that's something I remember reading in one of the old threads started by Ripster on /r/MK. That inconsistency would definitely be a killer for me with any keyboard.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline energ1zer

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 07:45:00 »
I seem to be getting a lot of vastly different views and suggestions  :p

I'll try as many as I can and let you guys know what I end up picking. I'll be ordering a lot of stuff this weekend  ;D

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 13:21:39 »
Among the Lighter Cherry switches MX Brown is still far and away my clear favorite.  They are very light and easy to type fast on but have just "enough" of a tactile bump as to say "HEY!! you are actuating me!!".  Though these days i have moved onto Topre, i still do like MX browns.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 13:31:16 »
If you want linear just save some cash and get whatever board is available at your loca Office Depot. Same feeling
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.