Author Topic: Share some nostalgia. What is your nostalgia like?  (Read 24328 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Share some nostalgia. What is your nostalgia like?
« on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 14:49:29 »
Once in a while I go back memory lane and think about the great days I had with OS'es (dos, win 3.1), apps (ms word 5.0, wordperfect 5.2, visual basic 2.0), games (wolfenstein 3d, doom 2, quake 1, commander keen, crystal cave, etc.), and hardware (original ibm pc, voodoo graphics), etc.

I'm curious what your nostalgia looks like. Any particular fond or warm memories for a particular OS, game, app, computer, expansion cards? Typical failures that became part of your nostalgia like win95 constantly BSOD'ing?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Online iri

Re: Share some nostalgia. What is your nostalgia like?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 16:50:37 »
The days when things happened in my life.

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 16:59:36 »

/thread
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Online iri

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:01:17 »
Also, this.

133784-0
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline gain

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:13:18 »
As far as games go, mid to late 90's is where it's all at for me. Oh, and Runescape 2001-2004 (all my fond memories are pre-RS2 sorry bois)

DOS Version of C&C (and, to a lesser extent, RA1). Crusader No Remorse... Vivid memories of playing that on our old 486 around the time The Prodigy's "The Fat of the Land" just came out (so 1997).. Diesel Power on louder than it should be, but it's okay, been a fan of Kool Keith ever since.

I think what I get nostalgic over is pretty typical for a mid 20's guy these days who was very into games back then. Just that I was as into console gaming as I was PC gaming.

Now I'm washed up aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:16:33 »

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:21:36 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:32:02 »
The days when things happened in my life.

Days when things happen are always nice.. I have several.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:33:01 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:35:16 »
As far as games go, mid to late 90's is where it's all at for me. Oh, and Runescape 2001-2004 (all my fond memories are pre-RS2 sorry bois)

DOS Version of C&C (and, to a lesser extent, RA1). Crusader No Remorse... Vivid memories of playing that on our old 486 around the time The Prodigy's "The Fat of the Land" just came out (so 1997).. Diesel Power on louder than it should be, but it's okay, been a fan of Kool Keith ever since.

I think what I get nostalgic over is pretty typical for a mid 20's guy these days who was very into games back then. Just that I was as into console gaming as I was PC gaming.

Now I'm washed up aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yeah 90's... I'm 27 so all the good stuff happened in the 90's. I became "aware" of my life when I was about 3... was playing commander keen, wolfenstein 3d, crystal cave etc.

When I was around 8-9 I started with doom, doom 2, quake 1, quake 2, and of course command and conquer in dos. That interlaced mode was awesome... made it more like a secret service thing. I played it to death. Over and over again. Skirmish. It was good. Have you also played Dune?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:35:40 »
GAMEBOY COLOR BRO

GAMEBOY COLOR

SELL ME A GAMEBOY COLOR PLS

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:36:11 »
Show Image

How about Ultima Underworld?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:37:28 »
Show Image

Oh wow I forgot abou that... I watched all those shows... Cow & Chicken, Johny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls. It was awesome. "Mama had a chicken, Mama had a cow, Dad was proud, He didn't care how. Cow."

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:38:36 »
GAMEBOY COLOR BRO

Never had one, never got one from my parents coz "you already have a pc dear". Same for consoles. They fed PC masterrace to me. And now I have betrayed my own family by buying a PS4. I have sinned..

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:55:36 »
GAMEBOY COLOR BRO

GAMEBOY COLOR

SELL ME A GAMEBOY COLOR PLS

Get a GB Boy Colour instead.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:58:35 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:06:28 »
Probably my three favorite games when I was a kid:

More

More

More

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:12:53 by nubbinator »

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:10:07 »
I'm really young compared to most on the forum, the first game I ever played makes me really nostalgic.

I remember getting stuck on this one level because I was so young.

I think I ended up playing this game when I was around 8, and the game came out when I was like 3

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:10:51 »
What's the game from the third 3D-ish picture with theb plane?

Cosmic Adventures was so much fun!

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:12:50 »
Launch day NES Action Set. That was a monstrous day for me and my brother. Bonus was our dad hooked it up to the home stereo system and we were really jamming out to the SMB music and the blasts on Duck Hunt.

I still have it here and working well. Well enough that I don't have to do any tricks, just throw a game in and it works.

I also have a dozen or two of the old Nintendo Power mags featuring walk throughs of games like Star Tropics and Metroid. Such awesome stuff to go back through. New games, hints, tips, secrets, codes, etc... man. Might go jump in a couple right now.

Show Image

/thread

I once got a picture of what looked like stars and re skinned that thing to try and make it look like random traveling through space. It worked pretty well. At the time I thought it was amazing and I was some kind of genious. Also I'm going to leave that there as it was not a typo.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:15:27 »
Launch day NES Action Set. That was a monstrous day for me and my brother. Bonus was our dad hooked it up to the home stereo system and we were really jamming out to the SMB music and the blasts on Duck Hunt.

I still have it here and working well. Well enough that I don't have to do any tricks, just throw a game in and it works.

I also have a dozen or two of the old Nintendo Power mags featuring walk throughs of games like Star Tropics and Metroid. Such awesome stuff to go back through. New games, hints, tips, secrets, codes, etc... man. Might go jump in a couple right now.

Show Image

/thread

I once got a picture of what looked like stars and re skinned that thing to try and make it look like random traveling through space. It worked pretty well. At the time I thought it was amazing and I was some kind of genious. Also I'm going to leave that there as it was not a typo.

That's cool! I did that once as well.. Made random stars and made them move with qbasic in dos. I wish I still had the imagination of a young kid..

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:24:10 »

Show Image

/thread

That's cool! I did that once as well.. Made random stars and made them move with qbasic in dos. I wish I still had the imagination of a young kid..

When learning to walk I got to see one of the first times my niece walked on her own. My brother said to her, "Alright! Did you just walk all by yourself?!" and her response was she threw her arms up and while laughing and screaming did that goofy little high speed toddler stomp.

Sometimes I wish that were an acceptable response to some things at work or otherwise in adult life.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:31:29 »

Show Image

/thread

When learning to walk I got to see one of the first times my niece walked on her own. My brother said to her, "Alright! Did you just walk all by yourself?!" and her response was she threw her arms up and while laughing and screaming did that goofy little high speed toddler stomp.

Sometimes I wish that were an acceptable response to some things at work or otherwise in adult life.

I feel you. That's why I still try to do silly things and be reasonably irresponsible at certain times.. To keep the kid in me kicking. I am still wondering why children try to be adults so hard. It isn't fun being a grown up.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:34:10 »
Look no further.. King of nostalgia is here. This is unique and a masterpiece and much alive today:

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 19:46:16 »

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:08:16 »
Is it nostalgia if you never really stopped doing it? Some things that may be nostalgic to an outsider might be considered the norm to others.

People might call the NES nostalgic, but suppose you've actually been playing it for the past 25 years.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:11:32 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That Quest for Gold game used to make me jump as a kid. The controls were a bit jittery and the sudden game over screens made me not want to play it. Yet I kept playing it.

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:52:03 »
I can still hear the music...

Offline ika

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 21:00:11 »
was this anyone else's jam? I loved mine to death until I took it to a playground or something and got sand in the screen.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 21:34:53 »
was this anyone else's jam? I loved mine to death until I took it to a playground or something and got sand in the screen.

Show Image

I had one. Dunno what happened to it.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 01:58:27 »
Show Image

/thread

Hover! What about this..

Show Image

damn, i miss this ****. i used to play this whenever i got chance to touch a computer in school

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 02:34:43 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 04:59:48 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That Quest for Gold game used to make me jump as a kid. The controls were a bit jittery and the sudden game over screens made me not want to play it. Yet I kept playing it.
It was amazing, it had such great graphics and gameplay! At the time I didn't understand English well enough to get the difficulty settings, so I never knew why some games were much harder than others :P . The mummy in the caves made me jump, but I knew all the levels by heart xD .

I still play Doom as Brutal Doom. Some of the others I give a spin once every blue moon, too.

Online iri

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:16:10 »
All right, let's talk about games.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:17:23 »
Is it nostalgia if you never really stopped doing it? Some things that may be nostalgic to an outsider might be considered the norm to others.

People might call the NES nostalgic, but suppose you've actually been playing it for the past 25 years.

Good question. For me, nostalgia are things I have warm memories of but that lay further down the past. Like windows 3.1, dos, doom.

But yes, I'm still playing games, computers, keyboards, etc.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:18:44 »
All right, let's talk about games.

(Attachment Link)

Oh yes... I played a new version on a Macintosh Performa.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:27:28 »
My first ever video game... on the PC XT.

Originally played it in yellow monochrome, I was thrilled to find it was actually in colour graphics when I got my first colour monitor.

Glorious 320x200 resolution with 16 colours, 4 colours at a time, yeah!

Online iri

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:27:35 »
Well, I played the old one on ZX Spectrum.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:33:18 »

Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Coreda

Glider for OS 9
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:39:57 »

Best thread on GH

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:45:36 »
Jeez I didn't think anyone else ever played Glider xD .

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:11:01 »
Stunts:

Biomenace (Apogee; with that awesome soundtrack):

SimCity 2000:

Crystal Cave (Apogee):

Hocus Pocus (Apogee):

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:17:15 »
Aw man everything Apogee was great! :D

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:32:58 »

Show Image

Monster Bash right? That was an AWESOME game!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:42:17 »

Show Image

Indeed! I still have it, as well as Bio Menace, Crystal Caves, and just about every other Apogee game ever :D .

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:52:52 »

Show Image

Indeed! I still have it, as well as Bio Menace, Crystal Caves, and just about every other Apogee game ever :D .

Those were awesome games! Do you have the original disks even? Or only a digital copy?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 07:22:13 »
Prettiest DOS OS:

Prettiest Apple OS EVER:

These Mac OS images looked gorgeous black-and-white on printed paper in manuals.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 08:31:57 »

Show Image

Those were awesome games! Do you have the original disks even? Or only a digital copy?
No only the digital files.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 12:12:27 »

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:17:38 »
Games-wise, it's like enjoying the mere fact remakes of old games are being made, even if I don't play them for want of time and attention span — but it still feels good to know the option is there, did I ever want to use it.

In other areas of life, well, I had a strange dream tonight of someone I was briefly seeing in early 2010… like 7 times over 2 months and still somehow made a profound impression on me. Catch myself looking at a picture of her every now and then, though she isn't the only one. I have a soft spot for those of them I really liked but the reality of a relationship didn't manage to kick in and disabuse me of silly notions.

What else? Turning 33 in 10 days and not taking it well at all. It feels like I was 25 yesterday, or at least last week. I feel robbed of the years.