Author Topic: Infinity vs Original Ergdox: How do they compare?  (Read 15956 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Infinity vs Original Ergdox: How do they compare?
« on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 12:02:55 »
Before the MassDrop appeared, I was just about to pull the trigger and build an Original Ergodox. I'm now torn.

I already have my switches, 65g Zealios, and I think I should be able to convert one of my keycap sets to use.

For those who own both, how would you compare the two? If I went Original, I would have profet23 make me a full hand case vs the new Infinity combo.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: Infinity vs Original Ergdox: How do they compare?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 12:50:38 »
I can't type from experience I can only type out what I know about the two. The Infinity has full LED support, (in switch/underglow) that fancy LCD screen, and supposedly the delay between the two halves is fixed. If there was a delay to begin with. The Infinity Ergodox is a killer deal imo

Side note: I can't seem to get the stl files of the Infinity Case to load so getting a custom case made might not be possible. I have the original Ergodox case stls on my computer right now and they load into my CAD/CAM software without an issue. So if you want a custom case the original Ergodox is definitely your best option atm

https://input.club/devices/infinity-ergodox Documentation/Design files

Edit - Yep, Fusion 360 will load the file but nothing shows up for me.. 32kb file size tho yikes
Chris Schammert

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 12:56:42 »
I can't type from experience I can only type out what I know about the two. The Infinity has full LED support, (in switch/underglow) that fancy LCD screen, and supposedly the delay between the two halves is fixed. If there was a delay to begin with. The Infinity Ergodox is a killer deal imo

Side note: I can't seem to get the stl files of the Infinity Case to load so getting a custom case made might not be possible. I have the original Ergodox case stls on my computer right now and they load into my CAD/CAM software without an issue. So if you want a custom case the original Ergodox is definitely your best option atm

https://input.club/devices/infinity-ergodox Documentation/Design files

Edit - Yep, Fusion 360 will load the file but nothing shows up for me.. 32kb file size tho yikes

Man, it's a tough call. I don't know how I'm going to like the  Ergodox so maybe you're right about Infinity being the killer deal. If I do the full hand add-on w/ DSA blanks / no key caps, it ends up being roughly $240.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 13:35:27 »
Infinity: pros
  • no more TRRS and miniUSB cables/connectors, the latest revision uses USB Type C
  • potential support for daisy-chaining multiple keyboards
  • using only one half is much more straightforward, because there's a controller de facto in either half
  • comes with everything but switches pre-soldered
Infinity: cons
  • dealing with Massdrop
  • quite expensive outside the US (e.g., full kit w/ keycaps and shipping is $260+customs/VAT in Europe, thus, say, $320 total)
  • doesn't come assembled
  • cheap stock case (brittle acrylic)
  • no support for 80key layout
  • some people dislike the PCB design
Infinity: gimmicks
  • backlight support
  • on-board screens
ErgoDox from, e.g., FalbaTech: pros
  • support for 80key layout
  • many more options for cases, modifications etc.
  • optional assembly (e.g., FalbaTech) or even a mass-produced version (e.g., EZ)
  • more affordable, if you take the effort (e.g., ErgoDox-specific parts from FalbaTech in Europe, if you get/harvest switches and keycaps elsewhere)
ErgoDox from, e.g., FalbaTech: cons
  • questionable choices of some default components (e.g., TRRS connectors/cable)
  • trickier one-handed usage (you have to decide where to put the Teensy first)

Offline phoible

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 13:50:55 »
There's also no tenting kit made for the ergodox infinity (I just rigged up a VIP3 to tent my Infinity, which works fine, but is a bit ugly). If you buy the Ergodox EZ (https://ergodox-ez.com/), it has tenting/tilting built in (but you wouldn't do this since you already have the switches).

Another advantage of the Ergodox Infinity (which doesn't matter for you because you are using Zealios) is support for ALPS switches. I'm using Matias Quiet Clicks with my Ergodox.

As for dealing with Massdrop, I ordered in the second drop, and got my keyboard pretty quickly. I think that once they got the production issues ironed out with the first run, things subsequently ran pretty smoothly.

On a side note, has anyone made an injection molded case for the Ergodox Infinity? Other than the wood case on Massdrop, I haven't seen an aftermarket case for the Infinity.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 14:08:13 »
Actually normal Ergodox takes Alps as well because or the two-sided PCB, you just need a different plate.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 16:41:10 »
Ah man. Those differences don't really matter to me other than the Infinity being brittle. Is it the type of acrylic they provide or is it just acrylics in general?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 16:42:14 »
I have the soldering experience to do a full board no problem. The main thing seems to be money & durability. I will most likely get custom wires for it eventually... if I fall in love with it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 03:28:08 »
ErgoDox cases from Massdrop have always been mediocre, some (aluminium) were even disastrous. I'd definitely look for alternatives, e.g., from mechanicalkeyboards.com or some small vendor, group buy, whatever.

Personally, I avoid both acrylic and metal cases in general. The former because of dust/scratches and brittleness (layers don't help here); the latter because I don't want to fry any electronics. Either is relatively heavier than typical plastics too (I like my keyboards light for travel, but with good non-slip feet). I quite happily use the PVC cases from FalbaTech, although they still feel DIY, and a plastic molded case would be much nicer.

If you go with acrylic, I highly recommend vinyl wrap or even some other material for the top and bottom layers.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 06:17:01 »
Matte (Frosted) acrylic is great to avoid scratches, dust and fingerprints.

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 06:21:33 »
Does ergodox infinity supports smd led?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 09:45:52 »
ErgoDox cases from Massdrop have always been mediocre, some (aluminium) were even disastrous. I'd definitely look for alternatives, e.g., from mechanicalkeyboards.com or some small vendor, group buy, whatever.

Personally, I avoid both acrylic and metal cases in general. The former because of dust/scratches and brittleness (layers don't help here); the latter because I don't want to fry any electronics. Either is relatively heavier than typical plastics too (I like my keyboards light for travel, but with good non-slip feet). I quite happily use the PVC cases from FalbaTech, although they still feel DIY, and a plastic molded case would be much nicer.

If you go with acrylic, I highly recommend vinyl wrap or even some other material for the top and bottom layers.

Thank you. I was hoping for a strong opinion on either or.

I really did want a unique piece... one that I hand built rather than the mass produced and ever common Infinity. I've soldered and desoldered 4 entire boards at this point so I think I should be all set.

Would you opt for through-hole components? I think this is what route I will take.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 09:49:32 »
Through-hole components are the way to go, if you don't have necessary equipment for working with SM parts.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 10:08:13 »
Through-hole components are the way to go, if you don't have necessary equipment for working with SM parts.

Are there benefits other than aesthetics to SM parts? I have fine point soldering tips, ESD precision pliers/tweezers, and magnification. Regardless, I think I'd prefer through-hole.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 10:59:26 »
It takes up less space. IIRC Massdrop recommended SMD to go with the litster's acrylic cases, because poorly clipped through-hole diodes could scratch the backplate.

Otherwise, surface mount is only more suitable in mass production.

If you don't have a heat gun and glue, I wouldn't go into that direction.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 14:20:33 »
Ah okay. Thanks. Do you have pictures of the Falbatech PVC case that you can share?

Edit: I just found your youtube video! lol

Offline lekashman

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 15:41:00 »
Disclosure: I am a member of Input Club and helped develop the Infinity ErgoDox.

There are quite a few additional benefits to the Infinity ErgoDox that weren't mentioned here that I felt ought to be listed.

All the design files for the Infinity ErgoDox are open source and available for people to build and modify on their own. This has allowed companies like Datamancer to make custom wooden cases for it - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/datamancer-infinity-ergodox-hardwood-case

We anticipate more people will develop aftermarket add-ons for it, since it is quickly becoming the top performing ErgoDox variant.

Also, we have an online configurator here that we worked with matteo to develop https://input.club/configurator-ergodox

This runs on the KLL firmware developed by HaaTa and allows for incredibly fancy things like N-Key Rollover, Daisy-chaining or use of a single keyboard half, and advanced macros.

We also worked with Hasu to support TMK as well, since this is a very popular keyboard firmware.

The major advantage however is that it is an active development project that has people all over the world contributing and improving upon the firmware. To learn more, check out our site here - https://input.club/devices/infinity-ergodox

I'd say the only major disadvantage to the Infinity ErgoDox is that it isn't available year round, since we operate on a no-inventory basis through our collaboration with Massdrop. Since the group buy is currently open however, that isn't an issue for anyone wanting to join the buy right now.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 May 2016, 15:52:08 by lekashman »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 15:52:37 »
Disclosure: I am a member of Input Club and helped develop the Infinity ErgoDox.

There are quite a few additional benefits to the Infinity ErgoDox that weren't mentioned here that I felt ought to be listed.

All the design files for the Infinity ErgoDox are open source and available for people to build and modify on their own. This has allowed companies like Datamancer to make custom wooden cases for it - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/datamancer-infinity-ergodox-hardwood-case

We anticipate more people will develop aftermarket add-ons for it, since it is quickly becoming the top performing ErgoDox variant.

Also, we have an online configurator here that we worked with matteo to develop https://input.club/configurator-ergodox

This runs on the KLL firmware developed by HaaTa and allows for incredibly fancy things like N-Key Rollover, Daisy-chaining or use of a single keyboard half, and advanced macros.

Because we like Hasu and TMK, it is also compatible with this very popular keyboard firmware as well.

The major advantage however is that it is an active development project that has people all over the world contributing and improving upon the firmware. To learn more, check out our site here - https://input.club/devices/infinity-ergodox

I'd say the only major disadvantage to the Infinity ErgoDox is that it isn't available year round, since we operate on a no-inventory basis through our collaboration with Massdrop. Since the group buy is currently open however, that isn't an issue for anyone wanting to join the buy right now.

Have you looked at the design files for the case lately? 32kb is a pretty small file size for anything 3D/CAD/CAM. I can't load the Infinity case files like I can load the original case files.
Chris Schammert

Offline OverKill

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 08:28:38 »

Because we like Hasu and TMK, it is also compatible with this very popular keyboard firmware as well.

Have you looked at the design files for the case lately? 32kb is a pretty small file size for anything 3D/CAD/CAM. I can't load the Infinity case files like I can load the original case files.

I checked in to this last night and I finally fixed it this morning. I had to set all of the files to binary mode. They should work now. Let me know if they don't.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 09:12:05 »

I checked in to this last night and I finally fixed it this morning. I had to set all of the files to binary mode. They should work now. Let me know if they don't.

Sorry for the trouble, I still can't load the stls. Maybe I can't load the files because I just started playing with CAD/CAM last week. The .stl file size is 33kb vs. Ergodox Original file sizes of 11mb per stl. I haven't read too many complaints from people regarding the design files, perhaps this 'issue' is not an issue at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Chris Schammert

Offline OverKill

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 10:21:32 »

Sorry for the trouble, I still can't load the stls. Maybe I can't load the files because I just started playing with CAD/CAM last week. The .stl file size is 33kb vs. Ergodox Original file sizes of 11mb per stl. I haven't read too many complaints from people regarding the design files, perhaps this 'issue' is not an issue at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The STL files are working fine for me. Github loads them as well if you click on them. They are around 2 megs a piece.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 10:57:33 »

The STL files are working fine for me. Github loads them as well if you click on them. They are around 2 megs a piece.

How are you loading the file? I right click then Save Link As to my computer, then I access the file through Fusion 360 and it gives me a translation error. Do I have to compile the stls for the Infinity Ergodox or should I be able to use them directly?
Chris Schammert

Offline OverKill

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 11:52:15 »

How are you loading the file? I right click then Save Link As to my computer, then I access the file through Fusion 360 and it gives me a translation error. Do I have to compile the stls for the Infinity Ergodox or should I be able to use them directly?

You can't right click - save as, because that isn't the file, it's a web page. Follow this video:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 11:52:55 »
If its on GitHub, you must click on the file and then save the Raw file.

Offline Data

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:00:40 »

That could be your problem.  You're not saving the actual STL files to your local disk.  You're saving the HTML that loads from that link.  Try left-clicking the files and saving down from there by clicking the Raw button after the page loads.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:03:08 »
I wonder how the heck I was able to save the Original Ergodox files using the save as method. Thank you, and sorry for my newbie mistake

Edit - Wooo, there's the model I can see it now :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:06:36 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:05:57 »

You can't right click - save as, because that isn't the file, it's a web page. Follow this video:

You can right click - save as.  On that page where you clicked through to get to the final page where the raw button was, if you right click on the link and click save as, it doesn't give you an html download- it gives you the raw download.  I do it all the time.  Mouse over the link and look at the location- you'll see that it is the link to the raw, not the link to a page.  It's just that if you click on an individual file, it sends you to the page shown at the end of the video instead.

I've included images:

Note the URL at the bottom.

This is the page I go to when I actually click it.  Right click on the link on that first page and click save as.  It will save the raw file to your hard drive.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:18:32 by chuckdee »

Offline Data

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:34:22 »
^ That behavior may vary between browsers and plug-ins.  The symptoms he described are a pretty classic case of the browser mishandling the document pointers and giving you HTML when you expected <file type>.  I've seen it in FF and IE.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:37:44 »
^ That behavior may vary between browsers and plug-ins.  The symptoms he described are a pretty classic case of the browser mishandling the document pointers and giving you HTML when you expected <file type>.  I've seen it in FF and IE.

I've seen it mishandle on the click through, but right click save should work the same between browsers, right?  It's pointing to the file.  The handling happens in the redirect after you click-through.

Offline Data

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 14:07:48 »

I've seen it mishandle on the click through, but right click save should work the same between browsers, right?  It's pointing to the file.  The handling happens in the redirect after you click-through.

Maybe.  It might depend on how the hyperlink is constructed.  I don't really know what's happening on the backend @ Github.  If the Github hyperlink is legitimately pointing to the STL content file on the server then it should throw up a download dialog in the browser every time.  But in this case there's an intercept and redirect happening on-click, so I assume there's some javascript or other magic taking place.  That has the potential to interfere with right-click actions in some cases.

Just spitballing at this point.  I don't really feel like looking at the source.   :P  It's academic anyway -- he was able to get it working.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2016, 14:10:14 by Data »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 14:17:35 »

Maybe.  It might depend on how the hyperlink is constructed.  I don't really know what's happening on the backend @ Github.  If the Github hyperlink is legitimately pointing to the STL content file on the server then it should throw up a download dialog in the browser every time.  But in this case there's an intercept and redirect happening on-click, so I assume there's some javascript or other magic taking place.  That has the potential to interfere with right-click actions in some cases.

Just spitballing at this point.  I don't really feel like looking at the source.   :P  It's academic anyway -- he was able to get it working.

Absolutely, the raw link worked just fine :)
Chris Schammert

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 01:39:42 »
All the design files for the Infinity ErgoDox are open source and available for people to build and modify on their own. So it's just like the Ergodox.

Also, we have an online configurator So it's just like the Ergodox.

This runs on the KLL firmware developed by HaaTa and allows for incredibly fancy things like N-Key Rollover, Daisy-chaining or use of a single keyboard half, and advanced macros. So it's just like the Ergodox except with ease of programming(no really KLL is a pain) sacrificed for daisy-chaining(because everything else can be done with a normal Dox).

We also worked with Hasu to support TMK as well, since this is a very popular keyboard firmware. So it's just like Duel Monsters the Ergodox.

The major advantage however is that it is an active development project that has people all over the world contributing and improving upon the firmware. So it's just like the Ergodox.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 06:48:57 »
I was wondering the same thing recently, so this thread is very timely. I really like the look of the wooden case from Datamancer. The acrylic look just doesn't do it for me. Kind of wish I could get one without the case.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 07:08:57 by stoic-lemon »

Offline lekashman

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:38:03 »
Not all manufacturers of the Ergodox release all their files KRKS. We are the only people that currently administer a popular version to release every part.

The original Ergodox did not have N-Key Rollover, and also had lag between the two halves. Media keys were a constant request and the online configurator hadn't been updated since 2013.

We also added dual Matias / Cherry compatibility, the LCD screen, and made each half an independent keyboard, and added an LED controller for aftermarket modders, all features completely unlike the original Ergodox.

These improvements were all added without any increase in the price, so we have presented you no reason not to just use them?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:59:49 by lekashman »

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 19:04:19 »
Thank you for the updates. I've decided to go with the Infinity Ergodox... considering purchasing 2 :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 03:45:06 »
Not all manufacturers of the Ergodox release all their files KRKS. We are the only people that currently administer a popular version to release every part.
How is this relevant?

The original Ergodox did not have N-Key Rollover, and also had lag between the two halves. Media keys were a constant request and the online configurator hadn't been updated since 2013.
Newer releases of Ben's firmware (not to mention TMK) support both NKRO and media keys. The lack of updates to the web UI is obviously Massdrop's business… speaking of that, didn't you *work* for Massdrop?

But sure, keep twisting words, if you can't do any better.

We also added dual Matias / Cherry compatibility, … completely unlike the original Ergodox.
ErgoDox can work with Matias switches.

the LCD screen
Oh, that gimmick, that made Massdrop ship the kits eight months after the drop IIRC?

made each half an independent keyboard
Hurray, a feature!

added an LED controller for aftermarket modders
Oooh, shiny!

These improvements were all added without any increase in the price, so we have presented you no reason not to just use them?
Razer tactics!

Because of Massdrop. Also, ETA at least four months after the drop.
Because of quality. Other than the acrylic (and Massdrop's rich history with ErgoDox cases in general)… what about, for instance, the microUSB falling off the PCBs in the past drop?
Because of a sacrificed layout option.

Offline proletariat

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 14:22:18 »
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm currently looking for a 2nd ergodox, and have a bit of input & a question to add.

I have a Ergodox Infinity that I built with 65g zealios.  I have found this version to be quite high build quality.  I was surprised to actually appreciate and use the LED panels to keep track of things, and look forward to hacking on them to make them more useful (command mode indicator for vim maybe?).  I also thought I would hate the acrylic case, and I surprisingly don't.  I lug this thing from work to home and back daily, and this case hasn't even taken a single scratch or divot.  Assembly was incredibly easy and rewarding, and I'm garbage at soldering.

However, before I purchased this one, I bought a wooden b-stock case from Falba because I had originally planned on replacing the ugly acrylic with a fancy wood case, and I didn't care about a few holes in the wood and such.  Obviously, this case doesn't match the infinity, and modifying it is too daunting because it's pretty fragile.  I was actually surprised at how imprecise and flimsy the wooden case feels.  I'm not sure if that goes away upon assembly, but I'm reticent to finish building out the original Ergodox because I'm worried that it will be wobbly.  That being said, Falba was amazing to deal with otherwise.  The site is a little clunky and confusing for a first-timer, but the packaging, communication, timing and selection (with the exception of switches) was pretty great . 

Anyway, I'm tired of lugging this infinity back and forth, but already own the Falba case... should I forge ahead blindly and finish building out the falba or wait for another Massdrop?  (Note: I also don't mind dealing with Massdrop -- I realize I'm in the minority, but I've never personally had any issues with MD.  Same with Falba, aside from one un-returned email I sent them.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 14:24:51 by proletariat »

Offline phoible

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 17:42:49 »
No one knows whether there will be any more Ergodox Infinity drops due to the breakup between Input Club and Massdrop.

Offline lekashman

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 20:35:12 »
There definitely will be more Infinity ErgoDoxes, we are actively working on that now.