Author Topic: SIXBOT another switch tester macropad (with bluetooth)  (Read 7808 times)

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
SIXBOT another switch tester macropad (with bluetooth)
« on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:16:01 »

I have to say the presentation is probably more pompous than the final built.

B A C K S T O R Y

I'm an art/design student and 2D animator, which uses a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 for animating. Unfortunately it has only front buttons, which can be used with the thumb, but I needed some buttons to quickly flip between single images. So I searched for some kind of 4 - 7 key keyboard, in which the keys are aligned in a row, but only found this one from X-keys, which seemed pretty big, expensive and ugly to me. So I decided to build one myself (my first bad idea I guess), which uses bluetooth, since the Companion has only 3 USB ports and one is constantly preoccupied with a software dongle. While searching for parts I thought "Somewhere I heard about mechanical keyboards, maybe I should use these switches" which was maybe the dumbest idea of the whole projects, since I got sucked deep in the swamp of mechanical keyboards pretty quick. Now, two month later, I'm owner of a cheap Noppoo Choc Mid TKL with Vortex PBT caps, a Ansi POK3R, a Leopold FC210TP, ordered a MAX Falcon 8 Macropad, a doubleshot DSA keyset and switched from a Logitech G13 to a Razor Orbweaver from ebay.

N O T E

I have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about and what I'm doing. I just post this kind of tutorial here to prevent clueless people as me for doing the same mistakes than me. I never 3D printed something before or build something electronically. All my solder-experience was a 30 minutes solder workshop in Japanese (which I don't speak). If you heard something somewhere else differently then you should assume they're probably right!

P L A N N I N G & P A R T S

I found this switch tester on WASDkeyboards, which seemed to be a perfect fit for my idea. Especially since others used it as a macropad too.
This tutorial from adafruit about building a bluetooth gamepad was my starting point. matt3os famous brown fox tutorial was also a big help.
So I ordered the tester and some additional switches from WASDkeyboards, this stuff from Conrad.de (a German online retailer of electronic products)
  • pushbuttons (as bluetooth paring button)
  • wire (obviously)
  • different colored LEDs (for the charger and as bluetooth status LED)
  • different resistors (for the LEDs)
  • 8 1N4148 100V 200mA diodes (for the switches)
  • M3 8mm screws (for closing the case)
  • M2 6mm screws (for mounting stuff inside the case)
  • M3 and M2 nuts

and this stuff from EXP-tech (they sell sparkfun and adafruit components in germany).
  • Bluefruit EZ-Key (something like a bluetooth teensy)
  • Adafruit MicroUSB LiPoly charger
  • Breadboard-friendly Slide Switch
  • 200mAh LiPo Battery

Actually I bought a lot more stuff, which doesn't fit or wasn't needed, so better triple-check what you're definitely need at the time you definitely know it.

Here you can find the circuit diagram

C A S E

First I thought I could use something like polymer clay (which was a terrible idea). After seeing how tiny everything will be I decided to print it on a Formlabs Form 1+ at my art school.
I used some parts of the case from the adafruit gamepad and measured some stuff with a caliper to model this case in blender.

Unfortunately it seems to print in SLA is an artform itself. I ended up with a lot of useless prints, with holes in them and finally gave up. Which is a shame, cause you can get pretty nice details, the resin looks great after some sanding and cause it's slightly translucent you can do stuff like hidden LEDs. At least I could refine my design and measurements with every print.

(is it just me or are there similarities to a scene from a Sigourney Weaver movie?)

So I decided to use some 3D printing service and ended using SLS printing at Fabb-it.com. They use some kind of nylon for this, which seems to be the same material as "Strong & Flexible" from Shapeways.

Its only dyed black, which made it impossible to sand down this rough texture.

I placed the switch-tester plate in the case, marked the spots and drilled four 4mm holes in it. I only needed 3mm holes, but since I'm pretty lousy at drilling I added some clearance. Unfortunately I scratched the paint with the bar clamp. There stuck some metal inside from the drilling, which I filed down.

I noticed some slight wiggling of the switches, so I carefully glued them in. By the way I needed to rotate them by 90° to get this tiny bit more space.

S O L D E R I N G & A S S E M B L Y

Cause I want some status LEDs from the charger in my case I tried to unsolder the SMD LEDs on the charger, but they were glued, so I ripped them of with a tweezer and soldered two LEDs on their spots. Probably not the best solder job, but I'm already happy it works.

I bended the diodes and soldered them in. I could't exactly follow matt3os tutorials here, since I needed to rotate the switches. The whole constructions goes on GROUND on the bluefruit.

A brilliant part: I soldered all switches to the bluefruit and noticed AFTERWARDS, that my cables are way to long to fit in the case. So I cut them down, unsoldered the wires on the bluefruit and soldered them back on. Doublecheck the length of your cables.

I soldered cables on my slide switch and glued it in the case, since the construction of my case required it to put the switch in from outwards (does this sentence make any sense?)

Soldering the charger to the bluefruit to the slideswitch

Putting the nuts in the holes, before everything gets too messy.

Mounting in the bluefruit and the charger. You don't very often get the opportunity to tighten some nuts with a pair of tweezers.

Soldered the cables in the wrong direction on my pushbutton and glued it in (still wrong). By the way I needed to cut down the cable and resoldered it, while it was already glued in. Always check the direction of things.

Soldered a 1k resistor to the LED and then soldered it to the bluefruit.

Tried to sort all cables and then jam in the top, to lock it with the
M3 screws.

F I N A L B U I L D

I put some DSA blanks and deep dish caps on it. Probably 1.25 or 1.5  blank modifier would be a better fit. If someone has some spare, I would like to buy them.

The back looks a bit battered, cause I tried some slight sanding here. I covered the LED in glue, which wasn't one of my best ideas.

B O N U S I M A G E S

I used some 3M "Dual Lock" velcro on the bottom of the bot and a bit on the cheap laptop stand, I'm using for the Cintiq.

This Duacl Lock velcro is MUCH stronger and sits MUCH tighter than every velcro I've seen before. I needed a screwdriver to remove the Bot from the stand.

This two are for size comparison. I don't know if this shoe-thing is still ongoing?

Oh and I figured out a pretty smart way to use this 10% as a fullsize keyboard. Here you can see me writing an email.

Sorry for this huge post, the MORE tags don't seem to work.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2016, 11:29:52 by GEIST »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: SIXBOT another switch tester mod
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:22:27 »
Nice work with the case and repurposing the switch tester.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:24:07 »
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 09:05:55 »
This is awesome. The detail and the picture quality is so good. Thank you for sharing :D

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 10:34:34 »
Thank you guys  :)
I really appreciate your comments
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2016, 10:49:31 by GEIST »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 10:47:03 »
Thank you for posting this! Bluetooth!
Chris Schammert

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
Re: SIXBOT another switch tester macropad (with bluetooth)
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 10:57:51 »
You're welcome. Bluetooth support made things A LOT more complicated. I'm not even sure if I would need a proper case without it. Otherwise I guess it wouldn't get much more complicated to add bluetooth to a regular size keyboard.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 11:00:38 »
You're welcome. Bluetooth support made things A LOT more complicated. I'm not even sure if I would need a proper case without it. Otherwise I guess it wouldn't get much more complicated to add bluetooth to a regular size keyboard.

How is battery life with the 400 mAh battery?
Chris Schammert

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 11:12:33 »
Good question, but I can't answer it at this time. I just finished this thing today and didn't use it. i hope it's ok, since It will only establish a bluetooth connection, power the bluetooth status LED and send keystrokes. I also bought a 400mAh battery, but it's slightly bigger and the case is already jam-packed.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 11:22:21 »
Alright, fair enough. It looks really good :thumb:
Chris Schammert

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 11:24:53 »
Thank you  :D

Offline kolec94

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 09:11:58 »
Great project I was actually looking at doing the same thing with a spare switch tester I have laying around but I didn't think of using bluetooth
Do you have the files for the case that you made for it?

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 09:57:18 »
Yea sure. I can upload them later, if you like. OBJ, BLEND or STL? But I guess the components will only fit if you buy exactly the same as I did. Or you could use it as base for another design.
But I would recommend to use bluetooth only if you really think you need it. It's pretty handy, but it made things a lot more complicated, since there isn't much room in the case and It's already bigger than I first thought it would be.

Offline kolec94

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 10:16:15 »
yeh I was thinking just a atmega32u4 and do a direct to mini usb(dont like stability of micro sub)
on one pcb
What firmware are you using for this?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2016, 10:20:26 by kolec94 »

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 12:32:16 »
Sorry for this laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate reply. Unfortunately I don't use any common firmware (like TMK or QMK) on it, cause the EZ-key doesn't allow something else than it's bluefruit stock-firmware. But I'm currently trying to build a "real" bluetooth keyboard using a Pro Micro and an EZ-key. This way you can run QMK/TMK on the pro micro and send the signal to the EZ-key.

Offline kolec94

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 13:41:03 »
Sorry for this laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate reply. Unfortunately I don't use any common firmware (like TMK or QMK) on it, cause the EZ-key doesn't allow something else than it's bluefruit stock-firmware. But I'm currently trying to build a "real" bluetooth keyboard using a Pro Micro and an EZ-key. This way you can run QMK/TMK on the pro micro and send the signal to the EZ-key.
you might want to edit it to mention that you can not buy then ez-key anymore but you can buy the feather version

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 13:53:56 »
I guess the EZ-key is only currently unavailable, since it's page only says OUT OF STOCK instead of DISCONTINUED. The feather would be an overkill if you try to replace an EZ-key, but as far as I know you could use it as replacement for this whole teensy/pro micro + EZ-key construction.
Jack Humbert mentioned somewhere on Reddit that the feather uses the same chip than the teensy, so QMK should run on it, but I couldn't find somebody who actually used it for a bluetooth keyboard. In my case I need to stick to the pro micro, cause my PCB requires this pinout, but I'm really curious if someone makes a bluetooth keyboard using adafruits feather.

Offline kolec94

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 23:46:08 »
I guess the EZ-key is only currently unavailable, since it's page only says OUT OF STOCK instead of DISCONTINUED. The feather would be an overkill if you try to replace an EZ-key, but as far as I know you could use it as replacement for this whole teensy/pro micro + EZ-key construction.
Jack Humbert mentioned somewhere on Reddit that the feather uses the same chip than the teensy, so QMK should run on it, but I couldn't find somebody who actually used it for a bluetooth keyboard. In my case I need to stick to the pro micro, cause my PCB requires this pinout, but I'm really curious if someone makes a bluetooth keyboard using adafruits feather.
but the feather has you microcontroller, bluetooth and lipo charger all in one

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline rrrsss

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 04:58:54 »
but the feather has you microcontroller, bluetooth and lipo charger all in one

actually had a member of the local community made a bluetooth & usb keyboard (atreus-split planck mashup) using the feather-btle. It's functioning, he said he used qmk. Might direct him to this thread if you have any questions.

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 10:03:13 »
actually had a member of the local community made a bluetooth & usb keyboard (atreus-split planck mashup) using the feather-btle. It's functioning, he said he used qmk. Might direct him to this thread if you have any questions.

That would be great! My current project is a bit similar: An Atreus62 with bluetooth and USB. I bought the PCB from Profet, but now it seems I could create a more flexible build by handwiring it, using a feather. I also thought about a split Atreus, but it seemed like an overkill of features for someone as inexperienced as me.