Author Topic: Love MX Browns? Post here. (Hate them? Go away.)  (Read 11608 times)

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Love MX Browns? Post here. (Hate them? Go away.)
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 17:55:18 »
Ducky's just a tier below Leopold and Varmilo. It's a bit more chunky and unrefined in design, stabs probably a little lesser. Keycaps are nice double-shot PBT, but may not have the best fit for everyone, and I think they're OEM profile.

Online Riverman

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:13:57 »
I had a Ducky One 2 for a while recently, and it was very nice.  Their newer designs are sleeker and lower profile than Leopold and Varmilo, but I hated how you can't see the lock lights, and the side-by-side markings on the number keys bugged me.  Ducky's keycaps are definitely OEM profile, which is nice if you want to use QMX Clips.  The Ducky One 2 with brown switches and QMX Clips was one of the nicest keyboards I've ever typed on.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 13:39:11 »
Interesting - someone has written up reasons why they think MX Brown is less than it could be as a tactile switch. It's very detailed, and well-reasoned, although it may miss the overall point of "minimal response" that MX Brown is going for:

Cherry MX Brown: Tactile in all the wrong ways

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechSwitchReview/comments/j52imf/cherry_mx_brown_tactile_in_all_the_wrong_ways/

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 15:42:09 »
Interesting video - this guy has a theory about hate for Browns. You know how everyone was recommended MX Brown back in the day? He thinks that people went out and bought the most 'affordable' keyboard to access Browns, and often they were poorly-built gaming keyboards. That soured them on Browns. So it's a board build-quality issue.

However, I don't think that's the main factor. I think he's half-right. Lots and lots of people were told to get MX Browns. So they did. But if they were looking for a "tactile" switch, the Browns would not have been enough.

This has been discussed before, but I think it's a 'false advertising' issue. Marketing these switches as 'tactiles' was a mistake that caused hate.

There's some truth in this video—I recently built a Klippe S with Cherry browns and love typing on it. I know nothing about the Ducky he upgraded to other than seeing it online. Is it really that big of an upgrade from the Corsair?

Actually IME yes a Ducky would be a huge step up from a Corsair mech. Not sure about Corsair's latest lineup of boards, but their older ones were terribly designed & built especially considering what they charged for them! They were built just like Magicforce boards, a thin plastic bottom housing with a thin aluminium top housing that also served as the plate. Duckys on the other hand are pretty solid for a prebuilt. Decently thick high quality plastic housing (top & bottom housing) with a nice painted steel plate. I can't really speak to the quality of Corsair's KB PCBs since I've never owned one, but there is a constant stream of "Help my "insert key name here" key is chattering or not registering" posts pertaining to Corsair boards on r/mk. So I personally wouldn't expect a high quality PCB in a Corsair board.
Official judge of the first annual Kei toss

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 18:07:32 »
Yeah, in that community, "Corsair" is practically a swear word.

Offline Jmarcelo

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 02:14:01 »
I just got a ducky shine 7 with the "hyperglide" 100 MIO MX Browns in them. They feel and sound amazing(maybe because they're new?). No ping or crunch, very very smooth, negligible wobble in the housing and stem compared to the drop halos and gats I got in my sample sets.

Honestly, they're still my favorite switch, with a pro purple coming close but I haven't tried it out beyond a switch tester.

I've tried the whole family of zeals, the Drop Halos(True/Clear), Gat brown, Kailh Copper/Box Brown, Aliaz 60/70g. Every single one front-loads the bump higher and higher up, so the tactility is derived from starting the press, not the experience of pushing it.

Why is it so damn hard to get an "enthusiast" switch with the bump closer to the middle? It's not "grainy" or "scratchy" it's the switch telling me that I've actuated the switch. I want some feedback, but I don't need a battle every time

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 10:17:39 »
Incredible. From your description, it sounds as if the "Hyperglide" MX Browns are actually manufactured properly. I would like to get my hands on some. How did you get yours? Pro Purple is also one of my favourite switches.

BTW your preferred switch type, in which the bump is closer to the middle, is basically classic Cherry-style tactility, as found on the MX Brown and MX Clear. As you indicated, in recent years, there has been a move towards super-tactile switches in which the bump is right at the top.

You might be pleased to know that there is a move back towards light and medium tactiles with middle-placement of the tactile event. You might want to look into the RARA V2, Shogoki and OxBlood switches, which are now in or soon entering GB here. Also, there is something called the Gateron Kangaroo, but I don't know much about it.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 10:30:52 »
I should add, if you are a fan of light tactiles, you entered the customization realm at a bad time. From 2018 to most of 2020, it was all about the heavy tactiles. T1s, Zealio V2, Holy Panda.

Before that, at least light and mediums like Pro Purple, Speed Copper, OUTEMU Ice / Sky, BOX Brown, and Aliaz were getting some attention, despite whatever flaws they might have.

If you haven't used Pro Purples beyond a tester, I can share my own experience. I have a Teamwolf Zhuque full of Pro Purples and Speed Coppers [those being used on some modifiers and nav keys]. They seem to take well to being in an aluminum low-profile case, using Varmilo keycaps. I tried Pro Purples on a GMMK with various keycaps, and it wasn't the same. So metal case + Varmilo keycaps seem to combine well with these, for some reason.

I sent 30 of them to a lubing service to see if they could improve on the stock Pro Purples, which are scratchy and in need of lube. I haven't tested them yet, but there are many people out there lubing them, some with weird combinations, in order to improve them.

I like Pro Purples because it's a unique and interesting take on Brown-like tactility. The bump is at the top, sure. But it's somewhere between a Brown and a Clear. Then, like the Halo True, it becomes a relatively smooth linear. I think the tactile legs are even lubed. A daring combination, but I achieved my personal speed record with them.

Offline treeleaf64

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:13:22 »
I'm very much liking Phoenix switches, which do have

Travel bump travel tactility. It's very nice to type on. I've achieved many of my typing records with this switch.
Leader of Gateron gang
May display immature behavior

Treeleaf's Youtube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAVQHinK0K-AjLlbc7MZjfA?view_as=subscriber

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 08:45:07 »
I just got a ducky shine 7 with the "hyperglide" 100 MIO MX Browns in them. They feel and sound amazing(maybe because they're new?). No ping or crunch, very very smooth, negligible wobble in the housing and stem compared to the drop halos and gats I got in my sample sets.

Could you tell me where you got this Ducky Shine 7?

Offline Jmarcelo

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 02:43:21 »
Hey Hunger, thanks for all the tips on switches. I'll definitely look into them!

I got the shine 7 from mechanicalkeyboards.com.(IDK if it's against policy to hotlink the product page) They have both the all black "Blackout" and Gunmetal versions available. I ended up going with the gunmetal version as it would probably work with more sets better and there was an issue with the paint flaking off in earlier runs.

My box has a sticker on it from Cherry saying  "100 Million Actuations"  with a little badge at the top saying "100 MIO/1ms"

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 10:29:29 »
Thanks, JMarcelo. I'm familiar with MK.com, and have ordered a few times.

I checked the latest shipments of Shine 7. Looks like MK.com has some exclusive editions. I didn't see any 100M actuation Hyperglide stickers, but maybe that's only on the actual box. I'll get some hyperglide samples, and see if I want a keyboard containing them. [Less than 10 gunmetal Shiny 7s available now!]

With regard to custom switches, I would also add that the OxBlood switches under development here are attempting to resemble vintage Browns. So if you like well-made Browns, you might enjoy OxBlood. [I guess you can wait for the sample reviews.]

Online Riverman

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 16:24:17 »
I had forgotten how much I like browns until I bought the Mac version of the Das Keyboard 4.  With OEM profile keycaps and QMX Clips, it's great to type on and won't wake anyone up, but still make enough noise to know I'm typing on a mechanical keyboard.  The QMX Clips noticeably reduce the switch travel with Cherry profile keycaps, which I don't like.  I'd love to try the Hyperglide switches in this keyboard, but who knows when Das will ever use them.

Offline keystream

• keystream.me
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 16:32:49 »
I personally think that Retooled Browns sound amazing but I wish they were just a bit more tactile. I am also interested in Greetech browns, I am not sure how tactile they are but I love their sound.

I heard Velvet's Jane with browns and OML, it is insanely amazing. (but to be honest they are diff than retooled browns since velvets browns were vints, and they were lubed with the amazing GHV4 miracle lube)
You can listen to it here:

And I remember hearing ActualGlaciers Lyn Whale with Greetech browns, which I liked better
You can listen to it here:

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 21:57:44 »
When you say retooled Browns, do you mean retooled [circa 2017] or the new Hyperglides?

I've typed on both. The retooled actually sound pretty decent on a Varmilo. Low-pitched, thanks to the heavy plate.

The Hyperglides are nice to type on, for Browns, but they retain the high-pitched chatter of pre-tooled Browns in my experience.

Offline Aritega

• Art by ringo
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 20:51:27 »
I'm still hoping one day there will be GBs of Hyperglide Browns with 5-pins.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 22:45:08 »
Browns good

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 00:58:55 »
Hey, what happened to OxBlood?