Author Topic: [GB] GMK Minimal  (Read 148324 times)

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
[GB] GMK Minimal
« on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 07:25:13 »
Hey!

Allow me to introduce you to GMK Minimal, a set with minimal looks and minimal cost!

Inspiration

We have a lot of colourful keysets in this hobby with very feature rich base kits. These can be great, but let's face it: sometimes less really is more. Sometimes you don't want a super "loud" keyboard, and many times people pay for a lot of keys they never end up using. Furthermore, white keyboard finishes have been on the rise but sadly we don't have a lot of sets that match this very well. This is when me and Ryan (/u/quaddepo) came together and decided to bring you this set.

Kit design

This kit features all keys to cover the most popular layouts in this community while cutting out keys that aren't often used. To keep in line with the Minimal theme we decided on all text modifiers with a timeless black on white colourway. This set uses GMK stock colours, WS1 and CR respectively. WS1 is the perfect white for this set, since it's purer than CP while not being as "in your face" as WS2. This also plays along nicely with the fact that most keyboard finishes are a more dull white, compared to the very bright WS2.

+

If you're using less common layouts, don't worry! We've got you covered with this kit! The + kit adds support for both ISO and numpad users. This kit can also be purchased separately for those of you that just want to cover a numpad.

-

The - kit is made for those of you who like their boards compact. It adds basic support for orthographic keyboards like the Planck, while also adding a variety of smaller spacebars which can be used on split space boards like the DZ60 or ergonomic ones like the TGR Alice.

RAMA caps

We have partnered once again with the talented RAMA.works to bring you these gorgeous keycaps. They're milled down from a solid piece of brass and PVD coated to perfection. They'll be available through all proxies with options for both gold PVD or a stunning black PVD with enamel infill.

Render gallery

280 by Noxary

910 RE by TGR

Dharma by me and Saturatedfat

Bauer by Dixiemech

Kira TKL by Thesiscamper

M65-A by RAMA

M60-A MILK by RAMA

Alice by TGR

Kotai by /u/stewiedk97

Aeon by me

Buy it here

Following the great success of GMK 9009 R2 and GMK Modern Dolch, it would be crazy to not work with these fantastic vendors again. They're all companies run by great people, and together they cover pretty much the entire keyboard market! We're super excited to bring you this set starting at $109.99 (or the local currency/tax included equivalent). If we hit 500 base kits sold this price will drop to $99.99, making this a good $50 cheaper than your average GMK set!
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2019, 04:14:08 by janglad »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] GMK Minimal
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:34:39 »
Approved, Gl w GB
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:37:03 »
The set may be minimal.

My excitement is not.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:38:59 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:45:54 »
When does the GB close?

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:46:10 »
Joined for base and both RAMA caps. Excited this progressed so quickly!

Offline sroop

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:48:35 »

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:50:48 »
I'm in for at least one 0 kit and one + kit.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 15:08:25 »
Is a - kit and a 0 kit really enough to cover a small ortho board?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 15:09:50 »
Just FYI, from rules perspective, this thread should not have been approved due to concurrent GB limit per member.  But since it already happened (seems like as an honest oversight), we'll let it go this time.

Good luck with the GB!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 15:10:46 »
Is a - kit and a 0 kit really enough to cover a small ortho board?

Yup! Have a look at the Kotai renders :)

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 15:27:21 »
Just FYI, from rules perspective, this thread should not have been approved due to concurrent GB limit per member.  But since it already happened (seems like as an honest oversight), we'll let it go this time.

Good point, the rules need changing now that it's easy to run a set through vendors. Two options would be: you'll change it to x amount per involved vendor (which would be ****) or you all out remove the threadcap for stuff running through vendors and only apply it to GBs where the money goes directly through the GB runner.
This rule was made to make Ivaning less likely, if the runner doesn't even handle the money this obviously isn't a problem.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 15:28:25 »
What kits are needed to support 2x and 2.75x spacebars?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 15:34:25 »
What kits are needed to support 2x and 2.75x spacebars?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Spacebar in the minus kit are as follows (all R4C, so actual spacebars instead of R4 blanks. GMK has these moulds since GMK Carbon) :

* 2 x 1u

* 2u

* 2.25u

* 2.75u

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 15:38:22 »
Finally, a proper Black on White set. In for two and the ramas.

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 17:41:41 »
Rama cap  :eek: :eek:

Beautiful work!!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 17:48:56 »
no second b, gonna have to pass on this
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rejuvienate

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 18:05:39 »
Is there MOQ for the RAMA caps

Offline newbatthis

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 18:17:05 »
Purchased. Been waiting for a proper bow gmk gb for so long.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 18:19:00 »
I'm not sure if this is a ruse or a genuine concern, but in any case artisan cherry profile B keys are going to 'B' the next big thing, mark my words (for all 50 people who own a TGR alice?)

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 18:27:58 »
I'm happily in.
Let's make it happen.

Offline click clack jack

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 18:52:39 »

Lol.

Sweet, Im in!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 19:54:06 »
Let's go 500!

Offline ian13

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 20:17:47 »
Definitely in! Just waiting for zfrontier link to be up! Good luck with the GB!

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 20:36:56 »
this moistens my cheerios

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 20:46:23 »

LOL just buy the spacebar kit and use blanks ;)

Offline krey

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 21:05:56 »
Asian boy wants his link. He wants a set.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline sl70309

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 22:52:42 »
If MOD is icon, that would be perfect.

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 00:19:54 »
Truly sorry, I haven't been able to focus on launching Paper. But thank you Janglad for picking up the torch and bringing the community WS1 set they deserve.

Offline tectonicplate

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 00:36:51 »
So… this has come up a few times by others and hasn't been responded to yet… and I need to know before I make any purchase. The ortho kit has a critical issue that is going to turn away potential buyers if not addressed for a kit that will probably already struggle to hit MOQ. The standard is for a Row 2 TAB and a Row 3 ESC, and that is what a lot of people use. The renders have those keys reversed (Row 2 ESC and Row 3 TAB), and the kit layout also implies the same. Please clarify/update us so we know what the plan is, I'm sure more than a handful of people might overlook this point assuming they are getting the standard offering only to find out later that the profile on 2 keys is wrong. I would be incredibly upset if that were to happen to me. I don't mean to harp on this, but it's kind of frustrating to not know this important detail for what is otherwise a fantastic set. :) Thanks!

Offline okidna

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 02:09:40 »
Truly sorry, I haven't been able to focus on launching Paper. But thank you Janglad for picking up the torch and bringing the community WS1 set they deserve.

I'll wait patiently for Paper and pass on this one, not gonna support these castrated GMK sets trend.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 02:45:59 »
So… this has come up a few times by others and hasn't been responded to yet… and I need to know before I make any purchase. The ortho kit has a critical issue that is going to turn away potential buyers if not addressed for a kit that will probably already struggle to hit MOQ. The standard is for a Row 2 TAB and a Row 3 ESC, and that is what a lot of people use. The renders have those keys reversed (Row 2 ESC and Row 3 TAB), and the kit layout also implies the same. Please clarify/update us so we know what the plan is, I'm sure more than a handful of people might overlook this point assuming they are getting the standard offering only to find out later that the profile on 2 keys is wrong. I would be incredibly upset if that were to happen to me. I don't mean to harp on this, but it's kind of frustrating to not know this important detail for what is otherwise a fantastic set. :) Thanks!

Yes sorry about this. I'll be making a fixed render and getting it out to vendors ASAP.

Offline ever9415

• EVER STORY
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 03:17:07 »
When will zfrontier become a link?

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 03:28:19 »

Chinese one is live now: https://www.zfrontier.com/m/5364

English one for the rest of Asia will soon be too.

Offline ian13

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 03:50:49 »

Chinese one is live now: https://www.zfrontier.com/m/5364

English one for the rest of Asia will soon be too.

Sweet! Patiently waiting for the English website to be up. Let's go 500 MOQ! :thumb:

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 04:17:04 »
Very beautiful set, great work Jang! Best of luck, man. :)

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:18:41 »
Please please I need the Dharma. Please tell me you have a GB planned in the future

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:48:14 »
Please please I need the Dharma. Please tell me you have a GB planned in the future

Maybe  ;)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:19:26 »
So… this has come up a few times by others and hasn't been responded to yet… and I need to know before I make any purchase. The ortho kit has a critical issue that is going to turn away potential buyers if not addressed for a kit that will probably already struggle to hit MOQ.

Your concern is entirely valid and I mean in no way to discredit it but I think a $20 kit with white convex small space bars won't have any issue hitting MOQ.

Offline silversung

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:45:19 »
Bought every kit, but still deciding on the rama keys. Can't afford both sadly, so torn between them.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 09:06:47 »
So… this has come up a few times by others and hasn't been responded to yet… and I need to know before I make any purchase. The ortho kit has a critical issue that is going to turn away potential buyers if not addressed for a kit that will probably already struggle to hit MOQ.

Your concern is entirely valid and I mean in no way to discredit it but I think a $20 kit with white convex small space bars won't have any issue hitting MOQ.

It is also cheap enough that we could buy it out if needed.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 09:17:26 »
I usually never discuss the price factor because I do not care, but I would like to make an example just to be able to understand the criteria of gmk.

EU shop:

GMK minimal: 110 caps 2 color 109 euro

gmk calm depth: 144 caps 3 color 129 euro

my intervention does not have the will to generate a controversy, I take advantage only to understand the price policy implemented.

Thank you so much!

KMK LABS

Offline _Paco

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 10:05:13 »
In for the 0 set. Thanks for making this happen so quickly!

Offline cucgach

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 10:17:18 »
Come on zF Engish link...
Current: Filco TKL Majestouch | TX60 antique brass | NIU40 silver | H360 burgundy | tr.mk wooden 60 | Imperial Hue 60 | Tofu 65 silver | Tofu WKL navy | Gergo Kit: black PCB | Space65 gray/silver | VN66 Black
Future: none
Past: TinaC HHKB gray | TX84Se titan gray | Leopold 660M white | GSX96 R2 purple | Rama M60-A lake | 0.01 Z70 silver | E7-V1 MAO | Rama M6-A | TMO50 green/poly | HB85 black/gray | TX108se titan gray | Typewriter68 ceramic white | Think6.5 frost poly

Offline leece3

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 11:13:50 »
When will the group buy end?

Versus GMK Paper, I welcome the reduced set size, and the increased speed to market. I wouldn't mind the traditional mod labeling, thought.

I'm in.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 11:59:55 »
I usually never discuss the price factor because I do not care, but I would like to make an example just to be able to understand the criteria of gmk.

EU shop:

my intervention does not have the will to generate a controversy, I take advantage only to understand the price policy implemented.

Thank you so much!

KMK LABS

From the quotes I have seen GMKs pricing "scales", as in adding a key becomes less expensive the bigger the kit is. However, I don't think that's a good argument for having a big base kit. We've been splitting kits for ages (40s kits, spacebars kits, ...) even tho it would be cheaper for the people buying both to put it in one kit. We do this to prevent a lot of people paying for keys they don't need.

I personally don't think price per key is the same as value if you don't use half of the keys you bought. Looking at the sales numbers so far about 80% of people only buy/need the base, so while they're paying more per key they're also paying for less keys they don't need and thus paying less in total. So I would say this is a better deal for those 80% of people.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 13:57:13 »

EU shop:

Thank you so much!

KMK LABS

From the quotes I have seen GMKs pricing "scales", as in adding a key becomes less expensive the bigger the kit is. However, I don't think that's a good argument for having a big base kit. We've been splitting kits for ages (40s kits, spacebars kits, ...) even tho it would be cheaper for the people buying both to put it in one kit. We do this to prevent a lot of people paying for keys they don't need.

I personally don't think price per key is the same as value if you don't use half of the keys you bought. Looking at the sales numbers so far about 80% of people only buy/need the base, so while they're paying more per key they're also paying for less keys they don't need and thus paying less in total. So I would say this is a better deal for those 80% of people.

my consideration didn't want to be a criticism but rather an elucidation for me. For example I did not know this: "as in adding a key becomes less expensive the bigger the kit is".
Thanks for the clarification

KMK LABS.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 14:06:18 »

EU shop:

Thank you so much!

KMK LABS

Not sure about profit margins on these, but also consider that Calm depths is at 250 MOQ (likely), while I guess Minimal is listed (probably?) at 150 MOQ which will be more expensive. When working out pricing of GMK Nines, I also felt that Calm Depths was much more well priced despite me having very low margins, until I realised I was comparing 150 to 250 MOQ. At 250 MOQ, my pricing was more justified.

That could be a reason, margins could be another - I won't speculate in that.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 17:54:42 »
All in, and glws Janglad!

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 19:46:09 »
Does anyone by chance know how the WS1 white used here, compares to the white on Enjoypbt BoW?

Offline ever9415

• EVER STORY
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 02:46:38 »
Zfrontier for rest of Asia : https://en.zfrontier.com/products/gmk-minimal
Please update.