Author Topic: [GB] Filco tenkeyless custom ATmega32u4 controller - All gone, that's it folks.  (Read 253727 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: [GB] ~10 DIY kits left - Filco tenkeyless custom ATmega32u4 controller.
« Reply #650 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 09:58:11 »
So how does the flashing procedure go from start to finish?

Plug in keyboard
hold a powerful magnet over the board (empty area above arrow keys)
you should hear Windows disconnect the USB device as if you had unplugged it
remove magnet

then proceed with the reprogramming using the Atmel FLIP tool.  For more detail see my "Programming KMAC2" thread

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #651 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:00:12 »
Quick question: if I drop a brand new HID Liberation Device into my Filco Majestouch-2 TKL, it should have some stock firmware already preloaded with a basic layout?  Meaning the standard stock Filco layout?  Or do I need to program it first to assign values to keys?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #652 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:13:19 »
bpiphany was nice enough to flash a default firmware so you can plug it in and start using right away. But since he doesn't have anymore presoldered ones, you're SOL :p

Offline gnubag

« Reply #653 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:19:21 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40363.0

i am currently looking to get all controllers that are left and solder them for people if you want one and can wait for me to find enough people.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #654 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:27:04 »
I believe bpiphany had already shipped them out... to yours truly...

Offline gnubag

« Reply #655 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:38:29 »
haha funny thing you said that.

i did not buy them, so forget everything. l0l

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #656 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:55:55 »
bpiphany was nice enough to flash a default firmware so you can plug it in and start using right away. But since he doesn't have anymore presoldered ones, you're SOL :p

Oh no, I have one on the way :)  Hence why I asked.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #657 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:55:55 »
I really, really like my HID lib device, and I know WFD does some good work.  Not exactly sure what ^ post was, but I believe this is a good thing.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #658 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 04:28:59 »
I would actually be able to flash the loose chips if I was kind enough. I have an adapter board that holds the ATmega chips =) I just didn't think about that with the DIY kits... And the whole idea is to flash new things onto them anyway.

WhiteFireDragon bought the DIY kits I had left. I have a couple of extra PCBs without components. I need to keep some myself for reference, but in a pinch it would be possible to squeeze a few more controllers out...

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #659 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 07:42:04 »
I would actually be able to flash the loose chips if I was kind enough. I have an adapter board that holds the ATmega chips =) I just didn't think about that with the DIY kits... And the whole idea is to flash new things onto them anyway.

WhiteFireDragon bought the DIY kits I had left. I have a couple of extra PCBs without components. I need to keep some myself for reference, but in a pinch it would be possible to squeeze a few more controllers out...

PM'ed WFD :)
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
Re: [GB] Filco tenkeyless custom ATmega32u4 controller.
« Reply #660 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 00:54:54 »
I finally stopped procrastinating after 3 months of owning this (just because I thought it was too daunting) and got around to programming my Filco. It was actually incredibly easy, and it's pretty awesome now with some simple changes to my layout. Here are some key things:

1. hasu's keymap documentation: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/keymap.md
2. hasu's build documentation: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/build.md
3. One of oneproduct's notes that you'll have to do just before you get to the "Program Controller" step of hasu's build documentation: [Edit: just noticed this step is in fact a part of hasu's documentation, and I somehow conveniently skipped over it, causing me some confusion for a while]
6. Install the bootloader driver
   a. Plug in your keyboard.
   b. Press both shifts. Windows will detect the bootloader but will fail to find drivers for it. Note that this will probably make your keyboard and mouse inputs weird because it thinks you're still holding down shift. For me I found the easiest way to fix this is to press the Windows button and write "keyboard" in the search box then open the "On-Screen Keyboard" program. Typing anything while it's open seems to fix it.
   c. Open the Control Panel.
   d. Select Device Manager and you'll see the bootloader listed among the devices.
   e. Right-click on it and select Update Drivers.
   f. Browse to where you installed FLIP and there is a folder called "usb" inside of it. Point the driver updater to that.

But I'm pretty worried about something - I might not be able to re-program it... When I was on the stock firmware, I was tired of entering that weird bootloader mode when I mistyped question mark by hitting both shifts, so I modified config.h. I changed MOD_BIT(KC_LSHIFT) | MOD_BIT(KC_RSHIFT) into becoming MOD_BIT(KC_ESCAPE) | MOD_BIT(KC_PSCREEN) | MOD_BIT(KC_SCKLOCK) | MOD_BIT(KC_PAUSE) because I thought making the key combo more complicated would make it harder for me to accidentally press it. But now, when I hit the new combination, nothing seems to happen. Anyone see how to fix this issue?
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 01:03:01 by cgbuen »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Get a magnet.  The controller has a reed switch on it for entering the boot loader.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
I might not be able to re-program it... When I was on the stock firmware, I was tired of entering that weird bootloader mode when I mistyped question mark by hitting both shifts, so I modified config.h. I changed MOD_BIT(KC_LSHIFT) | MOD_BIT(KC_RSHIFT) into becoming MOD_BIT(KC_ESCAPE) | MOD_BIT(KC_PSCREEN) | MOD_BIT(KC_SCKLOCK) | MOD_BIT(KC_PAUSE) because I thought making the key combo more complicated would make it harder for me to accidentally press it. But now, when I hit the new combination, nothing seems to happen. Anyone see how to fix this issue?

Ah, I couldn't think of that mistyping, it is just likely case. But it doesn't seem to be harmful because LShift+RShift+/ combo  causes just displaying help message on console of hid_listen.

To kick upt bootloader try to plug in with pressing 'b' key if BootMagic is enable.

To change command key combination it needs some hassle at this time. MOD_BIT() can take only modifier key code. If you want to use other key than modifier it is not useful. In this case see converter/adb_usb/config.h. This is not easy way though.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
Alright, interesting to know both things! I was able to re-program it with the magnet trick, and I'm debating whether or not I should keep a bad combination just so that the only way to get into the bootloader is with the magnet.

Here's my layout (second layer is the SSK numpad, QFR media keys + some extras):

Thanks guys!! :)

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
Alright, now something strange has happened..

It's using that exact layout I showed in the image above. There's an MX Lock on the FN key, which had used "ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY". It was working perfectly at home (Windows 7).

But here on a couple of machines at work (Windows 7 and OSX), hitting the FN key takes me into the second layer, but hitting it again release the MX Lock doesn't take me back to the original layer - I just remain on the second layer. I have to unplug and replug my keyboard with the MX Lock un-depressed to get back to the original layer.

(Additionally, I'm having some really weird/different issues with Num Lock between Windows 7 and OSX.)

Does anyone see what issue I have here now? Do I need to re-flash or something? There shouldn't need to be anything I have to install to get it to work, right - wasn't that the point of the controller?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
It sounds like you suffer from this key stuck bug.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/26

I think the bug should be fixed in tmk_keyboard / keyboard / hid_liber / matrix.c.

You can consult this patch for phantom by Wraul.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/commit/a505dafe59e617844da403e2616900fecaf4a3dd

EDIT: I will fix it later. Though I can't test cause I don't have this controller.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 June 2013, 18:58:27 by hasu »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Fixed debouncing bug which causes key stuck at commit:
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/commit/681e0194501aba4e6234f478d2c96d428b1223b5.

Please test it and give feedback. Thanks.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
I'm not sure that it worked - I brought it back home to the original computer I flashed it on + one more machine (Windows Vista), and somehow it didn't work (even though it was fine before). Then, I re-made it with the new matrix.c, and got the same result.

I also tried re-seating the controller, thinking maybe the commute did something to it, but still nothing seemed to happen.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Hmm, my commit seems to introduce a new bug :(

I couldn't find the wrong line just from seeing source.
Can anyone find wrong line in this commit? Maybe bit operaion?

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/commit/681e0194501aba4e6234f478d2c96d428b1223b5

If the new bug isn't found in a few days I'll remove(revert) this commit from repository?

Offline Tranquilite

Perhaps on line 162 of matrix.c...
Code: [Select]
bool curr_bit = *row_pin[row] & row_bit[row];should be changed to
Code: [Select]
bool curr_bit = rows & (1<<row);
I'm just comparing differences in matrix.c in phantom vs hid_liber as I don't have an hid_liber either...

EDIT: Actually, I think curr_bit and prev_bit might need to be swapped.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 17:25:19 by Tranquilite »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Tranquilite, Thank you for suggestions.

hmm, those seems to be ok for me. I'm still lost in debug completely.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
cgbuen, I'd like to comfirm your situation correctly.

You mean, your keyboard didn't work even before you flased new firmware? Or it got into not working after you flashed?

Old firmware without my fix sitll works on your keyboard?

I'm not sure that it worked - I brought it back home to the original computer I flashed it on + one more machine (Windows Vista), and somehow it didn't work (even though it was fine before). Then, I re-made it with the new matrix.c, and got the same result.

I also tried re-seating the controller, thinking maybe the commute did something to it, but still nothing seemed to happen.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Is it possible to program the controller to allow for foreign characters as one of the function layers?  Say I have English ANSI on my keycaps and a secondary language.  Could make, say, Scroll Lock lock in a new function layer then and be able to type the foreign characters on each keycap as I assign them?  Or is that more of a software-level thing that I'd have to do within Windows / another OS of choice?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
If it supported macros (doesn't yet) then you might be able to do alt-code input macros for what you are looking to accomplish.  But really, you need to do that at the OS level for a full language set change.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
I thought it does allow macros.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
If there is a firmware supporting that I am not aware of it.  Of course the hardware is capable of it :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline yeeeargh

tmk firmware has macro support since a few months. but beware... not all utf characters are accessible through alt-codes...
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 13:25:04 by yeeeargh »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
hasu told me about it yesterday. I had no idea, but it does support macros now. You sort of have to copy over a snippet from the hhkb code to the phantom if you want to use it there though, and the documentation is a bit lacking in places but it is there.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/keymap.md#23-macro-action

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io

You mean, your keyboard didn't work even before you flased new firmware? Or it got into not working after you flashed?

It worked properly when I first flashed it at home for a couple of days. But somehow when I took it to my office, it stopped working, and it stayed broken when I brought it back home (even after trying to re-flash with old and new versions).

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Thank, cgbuen. I'm not sure your problem was caused by hardware or my firmware. maybe hardware?

OK. Now, I'd like to ask someone else to confirm whether the latest firmware(with my fix) works or not. Can someone check it?

It worked properly when I first flashed it at home for a couple of days. But somehow when I took it to my office, it stopped working, and it stayed broken when I brought it back home (even after trying to re-flash with old and new versions).

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Ughhh so cut I missed out on this, just bought a Filco TKL. Any plans to do a second run?
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Thanks for the link, damorgue.

Yes my firmware has a kind of support for macro now. But I think  my implementation of macro function may not be what most of you guys expect at this time.

- No "on-the-fly" macro recording. and I have no plan to implement this at this time. (ic07 is working on this function with his ergodex firmware, IIRC)
- Syntax is not user friendly. You'll need the  capability of read and write C lang to define macro :(  I didn't make decision on final design yet and  want to improve this.
- Not enough documentaion. I'll add the info later.

Suggestions are welcome.

I'll appreciate if following thread is used for my firmware specific. I noticed this thread is on Group buys section now :)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41989.0

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Thank, cgbuen. I'm not sure your problem was caused by hardware or my firmware. maybe hardware?

OK. Now, I'd like to ask someone else to confirm whether the latest firmware(with my fix) works or not. Can someone check it?

yeeeargh checked the latest firmware and confimed it works.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41989.msg944352#msg944352

cgbuen, I think you probably have a problem on your hardware.

Offline Poom

is there left overs? just want one?!?!

Offline remedyhalopc

How do I reset this thing to a stock ANSI layout?

Offline gnubag

flash the firmware that is in github that should be the stock ansi layout

Offline remedyhalopc

You're gonna need to break that down a little more simple. Github?

Offline gnubag

You're gonna need to break that down a little more simple. Github?

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard/hid_liber

this one. just make a hex file out of it and flash it.

Offline remedyhalopc

Okay. Sounds simple.

I'm trying to do this right now, and I am beyond confused.  :confused:

I'm following the build instructions and I am lost as soon as the terminal is brought up. I don't understand the command, and I don't understand what I'm supposed to change with the command...

This is all very confusing to me, and I'm super frustrated. I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want a standard ANSI layout. Explain this to me like I'm five.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 23:26:26 by remedyhalopc »

Offline gnubag

well first you have to get a compiler and change the name of "makefile.pjrc" to "makefile"
then go to the console and "make"

if you are lazy: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98044719/hid_liber_pjrc.hex (that is the stock file from the tmk github which is the standard ansi layout)
I just compiled it.

after that flash the .hex file with flip.

(if you never used flip)
choose the ATmega 32U4 device
go with USB connection
select the hex file (file -> load hex file)
check all boxes on the left and hit run.
wait
? ? ?
profit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 23:46:43 by gnubag »

Offline remedyhalopc

Thank you for the HEX file!

Flip isn't recognizing that the board is plugged in though. What do?

It looks like Windows 7 is installing a driver that makes it look like a normal keyboard, and when I try to update it will tell me that it's determined that I have the best driver.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 23:47:23 by remedyhalopc »

Offline gnubag

maybe my instructions are missing something l0l (ya I forgot that you (probably never used a custom controller on your computer before, so my instructions are for after you did the driver part and want to flash the firmware with custom layout)

try this

I had tried to install FLIP on Windows first but when I ran into problems tried moving to Ubuntu. However, trying to install it there proved even more troublesome and I ended up coming back to Windows. Here are some instructions to get people started:

1. Go to http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx and download FLIP. For most people you'll want the 2nd one on the list which is "FLIP 3.4.7 for Windows (Java Runtime Environement included)".
2. Install FLIP.
3. Plug in your keyboard and press both Shifts. Windows will detect the bootloader but will fail to find drivers for it. (@bpiphany Assuming it's not super obvious when we look at... whatever it is we use to configure this, could you inform us how to change this to something even more obscure? Sometimes I'll press both shifts for a split second when I realize I'm holding down the "wrong" shift, i.e. not the one opposite to the key I need to press so I switch to hit the other and may accidentally hit both)
4. Go to Device Manager and you'll see the bootloader listed among the devices.
5. Right-click on it and select Update Drivers.
6. Browse to your FLIP folder and there is a folder called "usb" inside of it. Point the driver updater to that.
7. Run FLIP (you'll have a shortcut on your desktop if you chose that during install).
8. Press the first icon from the left (looks like an integrated circuit) or you can pick Device > Select from the menu.
9. Select ATmega32U4 from the list.
10. Press the second icon from the left (looks like a USB cable) or you can pick Settings > Communication > USB.
11. Press Open at the prompt and you're connected!

Now if someone can give me a hint about how to actually setup the hex files to load onto it I'd be happy to hear it! :D
If you're feeling super generous and just want to set up a Colemak layout file for me, even better! http://colemak.com/ (just the letters and caps lock to backspace are different relative to Qwerty)

Edit: Looked at the Github repo for this, saw the makefile and was thinking to myself, "woohoo, this should be easy!"
I moved over to Ubuntu, fiddled with the avr_keyboard.c file and changed the keys I needed easily enough and tried to run make... but alas no, I need avr-gcc which has several dependencies which have dependencies of their own! http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html
I was working through them slowly but at the very end I had a version mismatch and was consumed with sadness! Might have a stab at this again a bit later, but easy answers would be nice as well!
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 23:57:33 by gnubag »

Offline remedyhalopc

nothing happens when i hold both shifts down after I plug in the keyboard. Windows doesn't even try to install a driver visually, but HID Keyboard Device appears in DeviceManager.

What should the bootloader look like in DeviceManager?
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 July 2013, 00:11:31 by remedyhalopc »

Offline gnubag

so you are up to step 6.

now you are at step 7 and flash the hardware.
(there should be nothing physical happen when you hold/press both shift keys.

Offline remedyhalopc

but Windows tells me that the file in the usb folder is not correct, or it will tell me that Windows has determined that my current driver is the best.

Offline gnubag

hmmm...
in my device manager it only says HID Keyboard Device.

just try if you can access the controller with flip.

Offline remedyhalopc

I get an exception saying that Flip can't connect.

If Windows would let me install the driver, I'd be done. :|

Does the magnet trick reset the whole thing so it's stock ANSI?

I may try that... Do I just hold a magnet up to the glass diode?

Offline gnubag

I get an exception saying that Flip can't connect.

If Windows would let me install the driver, I'd be done. :|

Does the magnet trick reset the whole thing so it's stock ANSI?

I may try that... Do I just hold a magnet up to the glass diode?

the magnet only brings it into the flash mode (which is the same that holding both shifts do)

and since there is no firmware on the ATmega chip there would be no stock layout.

maybe you can try it on another computer? or wait until somebody (hasu, bpiphany, or so) know what is the problem and can help you.

Offline remedyhalopc

I'll give it another try in the morning.

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
The magnet does a hardware reset. Holding both shifts relies on the firmware currently loaded supporting it and running fine. The magnet is the safer option. I never used FLIP myself, but make sure you've got the correct ship selected and everything else (which I don't know about...)

If you just want a regular ANSI layout you can try the file hid_liber_ANSI_ISO_JIS.hex here as well https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/simple_keyboard/tree/master/binaries