Author Topic: [IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E + BS + Alps + Topre!  (Read 48549 times)

Offline asura

• not a duck
[IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E + BS + Alps + Topre!
« on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 17:41:31 »
As a brief introduction; I’m a product of the times, I graduated with a Masters degree in Architecture in Scotland a few weeks before this headline add to this an unwillingness to move out of my immediate area for work and I'm suddenly pretty much unemployable in my area of study.  So I fall back on my weekend/summer job – only unlike so many of my cohort this isn’t bar work, or waiting tables.  I make jewellery, I always hesitate to call myself a jeweller as I have no formal training, but I've been doing it on and off for about eighteen years so I'm fairly competent in what I'm doing.  My elder brother is a computer scientist, my younger a lecturer in electronic engineering who recently introduced me to his Unicomp (and now I own a KBT Pure with blue switches) so I've grown up with computers and stuff around me my whole life.

So I’m an artisan jeweller, who spent a lot of time on computers and is a bit of a geek… The outcome was, lets face it, inevitable.

Apologies for the poor photography, something I never really learned, love me some bokeh though.  This is my prototype silver key cap, which is as we type winging it’s way to mkawa to be auctioned off as a donation to GH.  I'm sure he’ll take some better pictures and then I'll steal borrow them!

I'm going to make another for myself (this time in Cherry profile rather than OEM) and a few people on bit-tech have raised interest, so I thought I’d post here to see if anyone was interested.

------------------------   29/11/12   ------------------------

So in a fit of madness I've decided to do all five major cap types simultaneously - I had planned to do them all, but there was going to be much staggering involved.  However, I decided that would be too much trouble to keep track of which was happening when, who's turn it was next, which profile's I'd done for which switch...  So instead of just the two cap types, there's also going to be Alps (cheep ebay board on it's way to me) BucklingSpring (to be borrowed from my brother) and Topre (kindly loaned by longweight)

What this does is push the time scale back a bit... it's not as bad as it first appears as I work some extra hours in December anyway, but it'll still most likely be mid/late January that the final products will ship, assuming I don't wear my finger tips down to the bone polishing them all up... need to get me an army of gnomes!

------------------------   14/12/12   ------------------------

Other finishes.

Brushed

Beed blasted
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 December 2012, 15:40:29 by asura »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: [IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:02:49 »
i just want to confirm that i do indeed have the sample from asura and it is, how to say... beautiful. my light tent is neither at the moment, so i will have to wait until tomorrow for pictures.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:04:18 »
Sweeeeeet!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:08:53 »
Smoooooooooth (with a capital SMOO)!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:16:02 »
Oh mans.

Make more plzkthx.

Hopefully this auction is sooner rather than later.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:16:17 »
Depending one price, I'd for sure be in for one.

You might want to think about 1.25 or 1.5 mods too ^___^
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline yuiop

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:20:37 »
Looks beautiful. Want one!

Offline balanar

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:51:15 »
Beautiful is right. Would the surface change in any way over time with use though?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:07:25 »
It will tarnish.  You have to silver polish

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:12:33 »
Unless its sealed. Not sure how to seal silver though.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:13:02 »
In.

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 00:44:08 »
shinyyy  :)
Ducky 9008G2 Browns, White Filco TKL Reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 00:54:08 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 01:02:30 »
Infosho

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 01:07:10 »
Im in, I want one for my KMAC!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 05:29:46 »
Hey asura, is that the key cap from your first ever post?  Where you showed it being made?

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 07:47:13 »
YES!  definetly in.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 08:20:33 »
oh yeah im in

Offline Batmann

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 08:32:52 »
I'm afraid this is something that can screw my sense of the value of money...!
very much interested  :)

Offline whiskerBox

[IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 08:38:08 »
How much does it weigh? Looks great!
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:31:43 »
Still very much in!

Edit: Cherry profile please. :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 05:35:36 by Alessandro »
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:53:45 »
You have my vote!

And make a full 24K gold cap, if its too soft then maybe try 18K :)

For the truly rich!

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 12:31:30 »
The_Beast - I'm afraid I don't have a definite price yet, and wont until I do a sample casting but it won't be nuts.  I do plan on doing other profiles and widths, I just thought this was a sensible place to start, the short shift for Pures for example is on my "list"... and when I see someone with a full 104 board decked out in silver, I'll know my work here is done  :eek:

balanar - metalliqaz is right, over time the copper in the alloy (the 7.5% that isn't Ag) will oxidise, this can be easily cleaned by wiping with a polishing cloth a bit of which I intend to include with every package... you didn't chuck yours out did you mkawa?!?

DanGWanG - Pardon?

rowdy - Yup, post number one, cap number one, since then it's been down to Edinburgh, picked up a hallmark, and been re-coloured (polished) prior to sending it out to mkawa.  There was a lot of stuff going on that wasn't pictured but you got enough to get the gist of the process.  This time I've been much more accurate in my marking out so the base should be closer to the 17.70mm square that it's supposed to be, and all the other dimensions should be within 0.1mm, preferably closer, but we'll see.

whiskerBox - The prototype weighs in at a svelte 6.15g, I'm not sure what the production model will be until I make one.  They'll be Cherry profile, so shorter, but I'm putting the large top radius in which is lacking in the prototype, so it needs a bit of shoring up at the back... Long story short, it'll probably be about the same... within a whisker  ;)

Shadovved - A 24ct gold cap would double the weight and be around thirty five times the cost!  In all honesty I think the switch would go through its twenty million cycles before you wore through the cap but I'm not sure... shall I put you down for one and you can let us all know in a couple of decades?

And thanks everyone else for your appreciation. 

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 12:32:30 »
Any kind of guesstimate?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 19:34:59 »
Looks pretty sweet, I'm interested depending on price.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 19:48:26 »
In for one, if it's not too highly priced. Would be sweet as something other than top row profile, such as a 1.25 mod :)

Profile? Either or, but probably OEM for the height!
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 03:52:58 by Halverson »

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 21:11:21 »
man... how did I miss this....

I am in for one :D

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 21:17:53 »
Definitely interested!

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 23:40:52 »
In for sure :)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 00:48:37 »
Then by my preliminary calculations.... That gold cap, assuming you use the full amount at market price, would cost a bomb, or several bombs........ tell me how much will it cost, will you? :D

LOL sounds like a good investment, one keycap which really retains its value hahahahaha!

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 03:13:33 »
Don't know, haven't even started to guess.  It's just that the last time I seriously looked at metal prices, gold was about 35 times the price of silver at bullion so I posted in a knee jerk reaction, never a good thing... a quick check tells me that the difference is now somewhere closer to 53 times - which is actually a good thing!  Silver's crawling down.

The_Beast - I'm a bit apprehensive about quoting in advance as this is what silver has been doing in the time I've been working with it... and at the moment we're still getting fairly large swings, it isn't unimaginable that it could spike again and go even higher...  At a guess, that I refuse to call a quote, somewhere in the region of £30?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 03:19:26 »
You said the other ones would be cherry height right? All my caps are oem in various metals could you still make a oem one?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 03:30:47 »
Then by my preliminary calculations.... That gold cap, assuming you use the full amount at market price, would cost a bomb, or several bombs........ tell me how much will it cost, will you? :D

LOL sounds like a good investment, one keycap which really retains its value hahahahaha!

I bet that clacks have a better return if you pick one up in a sale!

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 03:43:04 »
Well, but I might just take the jump on that bling keycap :)

Mind PMing me on the details, asura? I am considering it LOL.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 03:46:45 »
You said the other ones would be cherry height right? All my caps are oem in various metals could you still make a oem one?

Yes!  I knew I was forgetting something!  Everyone, go back and edit your posts as to wether you want Cherry or OEM (are there several different OEM's, 'cause that'd be a *****!) I'll be using a KBT Pure cap as a template unless there's any real preference?  And I'll update the OP.

I bet that clacks have a better return if you pick one up in a sale!

In the short term, undoubtedly, part of the joy of gold is it's relative stability the "cost" of gold increased about five fold over the last seven years - guess why - but that's an anomaly.

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 04:13:22 »
In for a pair of shift keys, left and right, OEM for a pure. 
Or a OEM fn key if not making shifts.

Looking real good bud
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 04:17:55 »
Nope OEM is your standard cap from like Filco, WASD, and CM and a few other. If you need oem samples just order some blank individual caps from WASD. Also I can get you some pics of my metal caps if you want ill have zinc, aluminum, and titanium once they all get here.

P.S. cant wait to add a silver one from you to the mix.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 05:00:12 »
I'm in!

Offline Batmann

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 05:19:08 »
The more I see it, the more I love it
This is the most appealing cap I've seen to date (probably cause I love jewells, I'm a ring junkie)
Will it be signed like the proto you sent to mkawa? (IT HAS TO BE!!....humhum, sorry cry from the heart!)

I Can't wait  :)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 09:19:38 »
I am interested in Function keys, modifier keys, cursor keys and those keys above the cursor keys.

If I was going to only do 1 single key in silver then I would rather do Pause/Break or Scroll Lock so it would not interfere with my typing nor the looks of the keyboard.  There are already a million custom ESC keys on the market.

If I was going to do only 2 silver keys then I would rather do as above OR just replace a matching set of modifiers, such as both ALT keys.  To keep my typing in balance.

If I was going to do only 4 keys then I would rather replace all 4 cursor keys or 2 sets of modifiers.

Sorry, but at this time I am not sure I trust you with the $$$$$ to buy all 12  function keys at once.  :))  Maybe 1 or 2  :)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 10:03:19 »
I love shiny stuff so I'm in, I can always use more shiny keys

Keyboardless

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:08:24 »
What case+plate is that tsangan? It looks great  :eek:

EDIT: My guess is the LZ-SE  :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:37:19 by Acetrak »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:27:43 »
An imaginary one, tsangan doesn't own any keyboards.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:32:00 »
Hmmmmm...  I was planning on doing one row at a time, first all singles, then going through modifiers etcetera, one every few months.  Would you prefer me to make up all my masters in one go so that you can pick everything you want at one time?  Being aware that there'll be a considerably longer lead-in time if I do things that way.  My progress today, for example, was just filling the external and internal radii, true yesterday I measured and cut all four sides, soldered them together, and soldered in the thickening at the back of the joins - but there's no way of knowing how much time I'll get in the workshop on any given day.

GMC - I plan on eventually making more or less every key, some like the space or ISO enter would probably be to heavy even for the strongest springs so they'll be the obvious exceptions, but all the rest should get done... eventually...

TheProfosist - That's good I've got enough OEM caps from my Pure to keep me busy for a while and glad to know it's easy enough to get the others.

Batmann - That's not my signature, that's the Hallmark of the Edinburgh Assay Office, it (or it's equivilant from London, Birmingham, Sheffield, or Dublin) is required by law to sell any article of silver over 7.78g in the UK.  Whilst these keys are slightly under that I feel it's a worthy thing to do, especially as any larger keys will require marking, It'd sort-of break the uniformity for anyone who wants a whole board.  The small flaws, imperfections I could live with for myself, and which barely show indicate that the prototype is exactly that, the production models will (I hope) be perfect so it immediately stands un-needing of a signature.  I may sign any true one-off's or limited runs I do, but that's for the future.

TotalChaos - Surely they're all row E as well - these keys are going to be blank so you can pop them anywhere on row E.  Again, I'll do legends if there's any demand for it but it will increase the cost dramatically.  It's OK, it'd only be £££ for 12 keys, surely you trust me with that  ;)  I'll maybe snap a picture or two at work tomorrow to assuage any fears that I might be running a scam as I understand that I'm hugely new on this scene.

tsangan - LASER ablation engraving?  I won't be doing anything like that  :eek: any legends I do will be hand worked, with the option of it being in-filled with gold.

Ok, I've decided I'll run Cherry and OEM in pairs regardless, just so I end up with a full set of masters.  It means it'll take a bit longer at each stage, but ultimately I think it'll be worth it.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:39:47 »
Wow,  a full set of Cherry profile sterling silver keycaps?   I'm gonna start saving now :)

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:42:23 »
It'd probably be about the same cost as my dream watch... no, I don't have one, and probably wont for a few decades more.  Really needs a :sigh: smiley...

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
[IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:43:47 »
What's the dream watch?

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:56:05 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 15:59:53 by asura »

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 16:05:14 »
An Omega Speedmaster, or any Breitling with a 24 hour face. :)

Offline guilleguillaume