Author Topic: [IC] KAT MUMEI | キャット無銘  (Read 47809 times)

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
[IC] KAT MUMEI | キャット無銘
« on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:31:24 »
Inspired by the simple design principles of contemporary Japanese design and a certain rather ubiquitous lifestyle brand, KAT MUMEI seeks not to elicit feelings of strong desire. Rather, it seeks to evoke in the user a sense of quiet satisfaction when he sits down at his desk and looks down at his keyboard.

Hey all, been planning to run a keycaps GB for a while now but without really committing as I found the market oversaturated with GMK sets. Till I dabbled around with this colorway, tried KAT and found the profile both immensely satisfying to type on and particularly well suited to bringing out the best in this colorway. So, without further ado, allow me to present this IC for

Inspiration | 啓発
I played with these colors some time ago whilst designing my personal logo with the red and black providing a rather nice contrast to the rice paper texture I laid the logo over. So the idea sorta stuck but it was not till much later when I was refining and simplifying the colors that I discovered the similarities to the branding of a certain lifestyle brand. And that's pretty much how I arrived at the name.

Giving Back | 博愛
Let me preface this by saying that growing up some 20 years ago, I was fortunate to have access to a well-developed public library in a system which placed much emphasis on education. It was an environment which aided immensely in cultivating my curiosity and whetting my appetite for knowledge. However, even now, the same cannot be said for all children around the world, particularly in less developed nations.

As such, before I even approach vendors, I would like to tentatively pledge 75% of my cut as 'designer' of this set (sans cost of production e.g. renders) towards Room to Read - a non-profit organization committed to improving literacy and gender equality in education in the developing world. Of course, if something can be worked out with the vendors, that'd be even better.

Color codes | カラーコード
Blood Red: RAL 030 30 45
Grain White: RAL 060 90 05

Rationale for Icon Mods | 根拠
Since there has been quite a few queries as to how I arrived at the design of the icon mods, I think I'd best explain it here. At the start of the project, I wished for the icons to be simple and minimal, to be line with the theme. Thus, I set myself the challenge of redesigning the existing icon mods around 2 basic shapes - a Triangle and a Line . The resulting icon mods is the culmination of that challenge to myself.

Kits | キット
More

Renders | レンダリング
Katakana Alphas & Icon Mods on AKI-S
More

Latin Alphas & Text Mods on HEX.6C
More

Artisan Collabs | 協調主義
TBA

Deskmat | デスクマット
TBA

Pricing | 値段
TBA

To-do List | 予定表
1.Finalize list of themed products, including, but not limited to, deskmats, cables, metallic caps etc.
2.Approach vendors to get pricing quotes
3.Contact Room to Read, pending interest gauge in IC
4.Reach out to artisan makers for collabs

Changelog | 更新暦
More
1.Changed name of set from KAT MUJI to KAT MUMEI
2.Added Colevrak kit
3.Split Ergo/40s/Ortho kits to Ergo and Ortho/40s kits
4.Moved split spacebars to Spacebar kit
5.Added missing ISO keys
6.Added MORE Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys

1.Streamlined Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys for both modifier kits
2.Added 'F13' key to both modifier kits
3.Added North kit
4.Updated and split 40s kit into Text and Icons
5.Updated Colevrak, Ergo and Ortho kits (sorry, text-only)
6.Added missing ISO accent keys
1.R4 Pause key added to both numpad kits
2.Added Icon Ortho kit

Additional Notes | その他の注意事項
The NERDSswithKEEBS Discord server has been set up to make keeping track of this project, as well as others in the pipeline, easier. To become a NERD: https://discord.gg/Yr4nf52
Or, if you belong to the school of thought that believes a picture says a thousand words, give @NERDSwithKEEBS a follow on Instagram.

Appreciation | 労い
‣ Manzel for the renders
‣ SGMK Child Bullying Interest Group for the support, feedback and encouragement
R for being a rood bij
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 April 2021, 04:34:17 by slxdegrees »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
Re: [IC] KAT MUJI
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:34:52 »
Need renders

Otherwise, looks good. Could always do with some katakana alphas :p Although I would prefer standard Icon Mods instead of Modern

Offline kronograf

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:35:42 »
Hi sirs ne keypora collab avail
jane me | 910 me

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:37:45 »
I dig it :)

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:47:20 »
nice

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:51:08 »
A few observations:

- Latin alphas (1): why are there two Katakana keys?
- Latin alphas (2): there is a mod-colored R4 `~ key but not a mod-colored R3 \| key.
- Modifiers: there should be an R1 End key here (there is an R2 End key already).
- Space bars: no split space bars?
- ISO kit (1): I don't see the point of the R1/R2 HUDE keys and the second and third Shift keys in this kit. Shouldn't they be in the modifiers kit? (hmmm... R1 End IS here)
- ISO kit (2): support for English (UK) over ISO is complete, but perhaps an accented R4 key should be there.
- ISO kit (3): support for English (USA) over ANSISO and ISO is almost complete: an R2 \| should be there.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:05:29 »
Looks clean, interested. Just wondering if there's any possibility of adding 1u 0 the numpad kit?

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:11:27 »
Colevrak?

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:22:53 »
Colevrak?

Oops, forgot about that. I'll just add that in the next revision.

Looks clean, interested. Just wondering if there's any possibility of adding 1u 0 the numpad kit?

Oh dear, my bad. Think I deleted the wrong layer when I was updating it. This should be the correct one.

Need renders

Otherwise, looks good. Could always do with some katakana alphas :p Although I would prefer standard Icon Mods instead of Modern

Well renders are on the way, but the guy I have chosen to work with is unfortunately backed up till Dec so they are coming, preferably I will have the kits finalized by then as well. As for the mods, they aren't exactly the Modern icon mods. Rather they have been redesigned to be in line with the theme, uniformly comprised of hard straight lines.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:30:34 »
A few observations:

- Latin alphas (1): why are there two Katakana keys?
- Latin alphas (2): there is a mod-colored R4 `~ key but not a mod-colored R3 \| key.
- Modifiers: there should be an R1 End key here (there is an R2 End key already).
- Space bars: no split space bars?
- ISO kit (1): I don't see the point of the R1/R2 HUDE keys and the second and third Shift keys in this kit. Shouldn't they be in the modifiers kit? (hmmm... R1 End IS here)
- ISO kit (2): support for English (UK) over ISO is complete, but perhaps an accented R4 key should be there.
- ISO kit (3): support for English (USA) over ANSISO and ISO is almost complete: an R2 \| should be there.

Heh, a whole post dedicated for your feedback, which is very much appreciated. I did lose track of the mods a few times while doing the kits up and I just knew I was missing something.

1. The keys missing in the ISO kits will be added in the next revision.
2. There is no mod-colored R3 | / \ because the only keys that are accented are the Enter and Esc keys, in keeping with the minimal aesthetic of the set.
3. Those 2 characters in the Latin Alphas are not Katakana keys. They are the novelties that I've chosen to include in the alphas.
4. The split spacebars will be moved into the spacebar kit in the next revision.

Once again, thanks for taking a fine-tooth comb and going through the kits! Your feedback has helped immensely in filling the gaps in the kits, particularly ones i hardly use.  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:34:29 by slxdegrees »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:43:59 »
Colevrak?

Thanks dad  :-* count me in

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:45:01 »
Nice idea, nice colors, great profile--but my concern is the name. Are you going to actually call it "KAT MUJI" and use the logo like that? That seems like a legal grey area to me...

Maybe you could do something equally as creative as their name and play off of Mujirushi Ryōhin as well. KAT Quality, or KAT Brandless, or even KAT No Name if you get my drift.

Offline hsgwchan

• http://dm9records.com
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:46:04 »
Do you think about trademark?
MUJI is sensitive about it.
https://www.muji.com/sg/blog/20190913_1446/

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 10:11:57 »

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 10:22:32 »
Nice idea, nice colors, great profile--but my concern is the name. Are you going to actually call it "KAT MUJI" and use the logo like that? That seems like a legal grey area to me...

Maybe you could do something equally as creative as their name and play off of Mujirushi Ryōhin as well. KAT Quality, or KAT Brandless, or even KAT No Name if you get my drift.
Thanks guys! After since consideration, I'll be changing the name to something a little less thorny. For now I'll leave it as so until I arrive at a new name.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:25:15 »
LOL I love muji, might have to get this.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:56:28 »
LOL I love muji, might have to get this.
What is a muji? I'm just in it for the colorway

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:59:57 »
What is a muji? I'm just in it for the colorway

It's a japanese lifestyle brand. They sell furniture, clothes, anything really. Trying to think of an American equivalent, but nothing really comes to the top of my head.

https://www.muji.com/us/

Offline MMKB

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 13:16:42 »
OMG I'm a huge fan of MUJI. Cherry profile might be cleaner imo but I'm keeping an eye on this set!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 17:46:08 »
Muji is great and so are these colors. Hopefully you don't get sued :p
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ywcsam

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 18:04:42 »
Muji, the company's name, actually stands for "brand-less goodies". They are known for their clean, brand-less designs with decent quality and affordable prices. I love their white chocolate covered freeze dried strawberries lol.

Hopefully all these will translate into the key set as well!

Offline bball2

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 21:23:24 »
Looks dope, will keep an eye out on vendors / pricing!

Only comment would be on the numpad / "num lock" button - have you considered adding an alpha num as well? The icon looks cool and would be nice to have something standard as well.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 22:27:38 »
I don't quite understand the Control and ESC icons.
How did you arrive at that design?
Are they icons that exist already?

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 23:09:33 »
No, they are not though they are based on existing ones. I sought to only incorporate straight lines and triangles in the design for the icons whilst refraining from using other shapes. Additionally, I had to ensure that the design did not depart too far from the other icons.

Only comment would be on the numpad / "num lock" button - have you considered adding an alpha num as well? The icon looks cool and would be nice to have something standard as well.
Thanks, I overlooked that, I will add that in the next revision too.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 01:32:59 »
No, they are not though they are based on existing ones. I sought to only incorporate straight lines and triangles in the design for the icons whilst refraining from using other shapes. Additionally, I had to ensure that the design did not depart too far from the other icons.
For Control, why not use the usual ^ icon?
For ESC, there's the standardized ⎋ icon which would fit well with the rest of the icons. Wikipedia article.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 01:46:10 »
For ESC, there's the standardized ⎋ icon which would fit well with the rest of the icons. Wikipedia article.
Using the ^ icon would overlap with the up arrow key. Using the standard esc icon would deviate from the rest of the set in that no other icon uses a circle.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 07:28:43 »
Can you add a Japanese keyboard addon kit to this one?

229700-0

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 08:53:01 »
Using the ^ icon would overlap with the up arrow key. Using the standard esc icon would deviate from the rest of the set in that no other icon uses a circle.

Hmmm I can see your point.
Hope you'll find alternative icons for those 2 keys. While all the other icons are very easy to understand, the Control and ESC keys seem rather complicated to me.

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 00:43:06 »
Been waiting for a set like this for awhile. Any chance we can do white instead of beige just to avoid being so close Yugo? Also would fit better with the theme imo.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:39:50 »
Been waiting for a set like this for awhile. Any chance we can do white instead of beige just to avoid being so close Yugo? Also would fit better with the theme imo.
Thanks! Unfortunately I dropped by MUJI earlier today and found that the beige was a lot more yellow and way creamier than I thought it'd be. There might be a change of colors, but I'm still slightly on the fence about that.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:42:56 »
Can you add a Japanese keyboard addon kit to this one?
(Attachment Link)
As it stands, there's already quite a number of kits. I did think of adding japanese mod kit a la epbt kuro/shiro and simpleja, but I decided against it cos the some of the text was just too long and would end up going to 2 lines.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:44:33 »
Muji is great and so are these colors. Hopefully you don't get sued :p

Thanks guys! The name will be changed, and I'm currently contemplating a few alternatives. Stay tuned to this thread for updates!

Offline megaforce

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:14:49 »
muji got the greatest pens of all time
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:04:12 »
Personally, I think cream/beige looks perfect, white wouldn't..
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Ryuzumei

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 14:29:29 »
Wow this looks awesome! I'm in :)

Offline h.parks

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 11:40:20 »
I think this will look great on my red ergo board. Thanks for running it in KAT!
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 05:37:11 »
This looks super nice.

Please make a NorDe kit as well!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 17:08:14 »
Colevrak?

I recommend this for the Colevrak+ kit.  Keyreative has probably quoted it before, since it's in these five KAT sets' ICs:  Atlantis, Explosion, Goddess, Lich, and Lucky Jade.

Details here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 December 2019, 19:36:29 by dvorcol »

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 00:41:33 »
Would you possibly do a kit with Latin alphas/Katakana sublegends?

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 00:59:36 »
Colevrak?

I recommend this for the Colevrak+ kit.  Keyreative has probably quoted it before, since it's in these five KAT sets' ICs:  Atlantis, Explosion, Goddess, Lich, and Lucky Jade.

Show Image

Details here.
Hey I got ur pm and have integrated the keys into the set. :thumb: Now I'm just waiting on a couple of things before I update the OP.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 01:01:17 »
Would you possibly do a kit with Latin alphas/Katakana sublegends?
Sorry, I will not be doing any alpha kits with sublegends as one of the aims I had was to keep things minimal, clean and as simple as possible.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 01:33:56 »
Add Norde and im down.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 05:04:42 »
This looks super nice.

Add Norde and im down.
Hey guys, I'm all for adding NorDe kits but I have no idea what keys go in there. If you would like to see the inclusion of these kits, please do drop me a PM. Thanks!

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 07:17:29 »
This looks super nice.

Add Norde and im down.
Hey guys, I'm all for adding NorDe kits but I have no idea what keys go in there. If you would like to see the inclusion of these kits, please do drop me a PM. Thanks!

Hey there! I have KLEs of NorDe++, BRESLAPTIT and French kits. These are based on the kits laid out here.

These are the kits I've used for Lich, albeit with adjustments as Lich includes ISO UK in base.

Feel free to use them if you want  :D

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 11:26:32 »
The kits Eskimojo uses will work for me!

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 11:00:26 »
Simple and clean. I dig it.

Offline SpringWind

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 03:22:12 »
I'm interested in this set, I like MUJI! I hope this set will reach GB.
I think the render with frosted pc or e-white case will fit with this sets because these colors reminds me MUJI's storage furnitures.

I apologize in advance about long sentences, there are a few points of concerns regarding the convenience of current kits.
(As ywcsam has mentioned, MUJI provides "no-brand, simple and rustic looks, but good-quality" products. My opinions are based on it.)

1. I like the idea that Kanji novelties, but I need to attach these 1u novelty-caps adjacent to left and right for complete "無印" and won't make good appearance if I won't do so.

2. Because Kana-input isn't mainstream metyod even in Japanese, the combination of Katakana-only alphas with ANSI/ISO layout is cool but maybe inconvenient for input. (However, this problem is not serious because can solve easily if I choose Latin Alphas kit.)

3. Some icons of mod kit for example ESC were little bit hard for me to understand until compare with Text mod. Considering the above features of MUJI, I felt the concept of this kit won't lose even if current icons will update partially to not-triangle shapes, pictograms, or shapes which more closer to standard option.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
Re: [IC] KAT MUMEI (formerly known as KAT MUJI)
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 04:22:48 »
Hey guys, took on board the feedback and made some changes to the kits (among others)! Hopefully, we can get some renders up and going shortly, and for the ZF guys to stop giving me the cold shoulder. T.T

Also, renders will be coming soon, so keep an eye out for that. ;)

Other changes
1.Changed name of set from KAT MUJI to KAT MUMEI
2.Changed colors used
3.Added Colevrak kit
4.Split Ergo/40s/Ortho kits into their own child kits
5.Moved split spacebars to Spacebar kit
6.Added missing ISO keys
7.Added MORE Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys (too many now)! Please help me remove some of them by filling up the IC form!
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2020, 04:24:52 by slxdegrees »

Offline Vireca

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 05:36:36 »
Ortho should have it own kit. You cant cover a ortho board with the ergo kit cuz the 1,5 mods

Love this set but I dont want another white keyset :(

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 06:01:22 »
I'd suggest adding ISO Enter keys into the Norde kit also. Otherwise Norde users have to buy the UK ISO kit for one key only :)