Author Topic: Aluminium TKL Case - TEK-80 - CAD Files inside!  (Read 159921 times)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: Aluminium TKL Case - TEK-80 - MORE PROTOTYPE PICTURES IN!!!
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 13:45:22 »
The case has now been finished!

I'll be picking it up next weekend and checking everything works OK.

Then it's just the anodising that needs to be done!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 13:58:45 »
Thats damn fine, do you have a total cost, or do you not want to know ? :3
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #252 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 14:00:56 »
Lookin' at about £400 without anodising/bead blasting, probably around £500 with. Might seem crazy to some but it's 100% worth it for me.
github

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #253 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 14:02:19 »
The awkward moment when you discover you love the ErgoDox the day before completion. Very nice brother.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #254 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 14:02:55 »
The case has now been finished!

I'll be picking it up next weekend and checking everything works OK.

Then it's just the anodising that needs to be done!

gotta buy those LEDs bro

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #255 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 14:03:14 »
The awkward moment when you discover you love the ErgoDox the day before completion. Very nice brother.
:)) I've got a realforce coming soon from the DT euro tour. I will be heartbroken if I like topre more than mx.

gotta buy those LEDs bro
github

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #256 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 14:44:04 »
Lookin' at about £400 without anodising/bead blasting, probably around £500 with. Might seem crazy to some but it's 100% worth it for me.
Do you plan on doing a GB for these?
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #257 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 14:45:25 »
There is a high possibility I will sell 2-5. It won't be a group buy, just a classified ad with limited numbers available.
github

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #258 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 14:51:01 »
There is a high possibility I will sell 2-5. It won't be a group buy, just a classified ad with limited numbers available.
Hope to pick one up for my phantom then :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #259 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 18:05:07 »
Looks fantastic, nice work!
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 18:08:29 »
Just because I was speaking to an 'Murican who didn't realise $1=/=£1

£500 = $778.66 [As of this second]

Hope this helps, someone...maybe... :3

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #261 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 18:11:55 »
Looks fantastic, nice work!
Thank you leslie. Not just for your compliment, but for your input earlier on in this project. If it weren't for you I would've stuck with the standoff design, and the case would be nothing close to what it is now. In fact it probably wouldn't have even been made! Honestly, thank you so much. You encouraged me to explore alternatives.
Just because I was speaking to an 'Murican who didn't realise $1=/=£1

£500 = $778.66 [As of this second]

Hope this helps, someone...maybe... :3
Wow.. the price seems more vast when converted to USD :))
github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #262 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 20:22:25 »
 I would kill for one of these cases, anodized in pink, one but I'll never be able to afford it :(  I can only live vicariously through all the awesome photos :D (Looking forward to more of them!!!)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #263 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 20:38:22 »
Damn how much was the total cost so far? Looks really nice, but I must say it looks similar to the KMAC 2 case and are you smoothing out the bottom of the brass bar? :|
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #264 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 20:43:31 »
If your case is done, I wanna see some pictures! I got to type on The_Beast's case and you're cutting/finishing yours. I'm soooo excited to see projects I had a small hand in come to fruition :D

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #265 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 20:48:49 »
Damn how much was the total cost so far? Looks really nice, but I must say it looks similar to the KMAC 2 case and are you smoothing out the bottom of the brass bar? :|
So far.. £400~, expecting the total cost to be £500. Brass bar will be bead blasted, removing the marks. The aluminium will also be bead blasted and anodised.

You're right, it does look similar to the KMAC 2 case. That's because I love the classic shape of the KMAC. However, the KMAC 2 doesn't have the following things :
-Fixed winkeyblockers.
-Brass plate
I could get earlier KMAC models with fixed winkeyblockers, however they use feet. I HATE feet.

The 456GT was the closest thing to my ideal case in that it has brass plates and winkeyblockers, however it's extremely rare and expensive. I also don't like styling of it, and the fact I can't get it in grey. It'd have to be reanodised grey which would add to its already hefty pricetag.

tldr;
KMAC doesn't have everything I want.
456GT reanodised in grey wouldn't be much cheaper. I also wouldn't like the styling as much.
I also loved designing this and learning CAD along the way.

The price tag is huge but in my eyes this case is perfection and so the price tag was justified.

If your case is done, I wanna see some pictures! I got to type on The_Beast's case and you're cutting/finishing yours. I'm soooo excited to see projects I had a small hand in come to fruition :D
Picking it up next weekend - THERE WILL BE PICS. It's then getting sent allllll the way to korea for anodising (**** uk anodisers)
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #266 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 20:54:06 »
Oooo, Korean anodization :D

So...bead blasted eh? Brass is soft and I figured it'd need something more gentle like walnut shells. Hm. Do you know why? Or does anyone else know?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #267 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 20:56:47 »
walnut shells
:))

Polishing = shiny. I don't like shiny, so bead blasting instead. Also, the place who's doing the alu can also bead blast brass so it saves me shopping around.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #268 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 20:59:27 »
Wait what? I was under the impression walnut shell blasting was a gentler version of sand blasting. It polishes?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #269 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 21:00:37 »
Wait beast's case is a reality now? The metal one? I thought that was on hold due to extremely OTT costs?

Wait what? I was under the impression walnut shell blasting was a gentler version of sand blasting or shot peening. It polishes?
Wait what? I thought you were joking. They actually blast walnut shells at metal? Brb, need to look this up.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #270 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 21:02:37 »
The_Beast's case exists in wood and I tried that. It still is a real case so I consider it a success. And yes they really use walnut shells mate. I've seen it used when you're trying to media blast really thin sheets of metal because you can strip the paint/clean the marks without adding too much head and warping the metal.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #271 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 21:04:40 »
Crushed walnut shells are also generally what you use for polishing brass before reloading.  It can get things a little shiny.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #272 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 21:07:24 »
Interesting. INTERDESTING.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #273 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 21:10:57 »
The_Beast's case exists in wood and I tried that. It still is a real case so I consider it a success. And yes they really use walnut shells mate. I've seen it used when you're trying to media blast really thin sheets of metal because you can strip the paint/clean the marks without adding too much head and warping the metal.
Beast's wooden case was most certainly a success. It turned out really nice.
Crushed walnut shells are also generally what you use for polishing brass before reloading.  It can get things a little shiny.
Ahh.. I'll definitely give that a miss then.
github

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #274 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 21:11:03 »
So far.. £400~, expecting the total cost to be £500. Brass bar will be bead blasted, removing the marks. The aluminium will also be bead blasted and anodised.

You're right, it does look similar to the KMAC 2 case. That's because I love the classic shape of the KMAC. However, the KMAC 2 doesn't have the following things :
-Fixed winkeyblockers.
-Brass plate
I could get earlier KMAC models with fixed winkeyblockers, however they use feet. I HATE feet.

The 456GT was the closest thing to my ideal case in that it has brass plates and winkeyblockers, however it's extremely rare and expensive. I also don't like styling of it, and the fact I can't get it in grey. It'd have to be reanodised grey which would add to its already hefty pricetag.

tldr;
KMAC doesn't have everything I want.
456GT reanodised in grey wouldn't be much cheaper. I also wouldn't like the styling as much.
I also loved designing this and learning CAD along the way.

The price tag is huge but in my eyes this case is perfection and so the price tag was justified.

Picking it up next weekend - THERE WILL BE PICS. It's then getting sent allllll the way to korea for anodising (**** uk anodisers)

Actually the 456gt (case+pcb+plate) gb price was around $480-530 USD,

So you are doing quite well on saving.

As for me... I own the 456gt and already got my LZ-SE, I have to admit the bottom and height of the 456gt is at the very least awkward, I thought the KMAC2 was really sexy, but I love my metal inserts. You definitely cannot use SPH caps on it (the 456gt).

You have a really nice design, although rather than the brass plate in the middle perhaps have made it the border instead :) kind of like the inside of the lz-se but on the bottom Like a square within a square. Although then you couldn't have nice font on there.

As far as anodizing goes, I believe someone on the kbdmania forums who is quite famous gets his anodized in the States in Chicago, but I might be wrong.  Powder coating is also an option :).

Congrats on doing something new though :). Maybe go titanium instead of brass for that super super heavy keyboard haha
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #275 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 21:23:55 »
1. Actually the 456gt (case+pcb+plate) gb price was around $480-530 USD,

So you are doing quite well on saving.

As for me... I own the 456gt and already got my LZ-SE, I have to admit the bottom and height of the 456gt is at the very least awkward, I thought the KMAC2 was really sexy, but I love my metal inserts. You definitely cannot use SPH caps on it (the 456gt).

2. You have a really nice design, although rather than the brass plate in the middle perhaps have made it the border instead :) kind of like the inside of the lz-se but on the bottom Like a square within a square. Although then you couldn't have nice font on there.

3. As far as anodizing goes, I believe someone on the kbdmania forums who is quite famous gets his anodized in the States in Chicago, but I might be wrong.  Powder coating is also an option :).

4. Congrats on doing something new though :). Maybe go titanium instead of brass for that super super heavy keyboard haha
1. True, but who's gonna sell it for GB price? :)) Reanodising wouldn't be cheap either. I would probably save SOME money, but I am happy to pay the extra for a design I prefer. The 456GT is an extremely nice keyboard, but it isn't perfect for me. That's what I was going for. My own personal keyboard perfection.

2. Couldn't be done with how my brass plate is seated : http://i.imgur.com/kRm34Fa.png http://i.imgur.com/NHhskeg.png

3. I'm sure there are a lot of good places for anodising. I just had an incredibly hard time finding one and a kind forum member offered to help me out having it done in korea. Powder coating isn't an option for me.. Anodising has many advantages.

4. Thanks! I think titanium might be a little too far :)) my machinist might die.
github

Offline zenuty

• WTS : Duck, Pla, Acrylic 3 Pokers
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:39:35 »
I can almost taste it now.. My machinist sent me these a little bit earlier. There are still a few things to be done, but it should be completed next weekend. Then it just needs to be anodised/finished.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It Looks like a shine gold  :eek:
Your project awesom !! Great work !!
Fighting Photeq  :thumb:

LINE ID : zenuty
Skype ID : zenuty
www.facebook.com/zenuty

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:07:08 »
Last photos before I go and pick it up this sunday :D

Anodising and bead blasting/polishing is the only thing left to be done :thumb:
github

Offline baezilisK

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 15:09:08 »
omg it's sunday. :D:D

congrats dude, this was an excellent read. looks very nice.

i know you said you didn't really plan on selling these, but is there no way i could convince you to get another one made?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #279 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 15:12:48 »
omg it's sunday. :D:D

congrats dude, this was an excellent read. looks very nice.

i know you said you didn't really plan on selling these, but is there no way i could convince you to get another one made?
Thank you man :)

I think it's likely I will sell 1 or 2, but I will limit it to that since this thing will be so expensive and I doubt many people, if anyone, would want to pay so much..

It'll be about $775+shipping  :-[
github

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #280 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 15:14:15 »
I think he said he may do a GB for about 5 of them but obviously they are not cheap.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #281 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 15:15:20 »
I think he said he may do a GB for about 5 of them but obviously they are not cheap.
Yeah. It'll either be 1, 2, 3 or 4. It won't be a GB, just in the classifieds, since the numbers will be limited.

There is of course the possibility no more will be made. I obviously don't want to sell any until mine is anodised and mine is assembled so that I can show people the finished result. It all depends on when mine is finished really..
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2013, 15:19:20 by Photekq »
github

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #282 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 15:18:19 »
Ninja'd

:(

I think its still a GB even without the discount,  because a group of people are buying an object together?  :3

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #283 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 15:20:45 »
Ninja'd

:(

I think its still a GB even without the discount,  because a group of people are buying an object together?  :3
I'm not sure.. I was just thinking that I'd never seen a GB with such limited quantities. I mean it does kinda count as a GB as I'd be making practically no profit when shipping to & from anodiser was included etc.
github

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #284 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 12:52:22 »

github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Aluminium TKL Case - TEK-80 - Finished & received. Awaiting anodising.
« Reply #285 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 12:55:28 »
So nice <3
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #286 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 13:18:39 »
So nice <3

I'm extremely happy with the final result. My machinist has done such an amazing job of this.. Everything from the chamfers to the engraving is perfect.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, advice and help from the beginning. I couldn't have done it without you guys!
github

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 02:25:07 »
but will it blend?
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 07:53:46 »
AWESOME Man!
Congrats!
Really nice work ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 08:08:24 »
Dat weight..

Offline baezilisK

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 09:12:30 »
it's beautiful

Offline UniClown

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 12:39:52 »
Show Image

This picture blew me away
Congrats.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 September 2013, 13:08:30 by UniClown »

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 12:46:38 »
That is one awesome looking case.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:21:28 »
After hours and hours and hours and hours of phoning up about 25 anodising companies I have FINALLY got a reasonable quote. Should be sending the case off to them this week, so expect to see the finished TEK-80 some time soon!

Everything's being bead blasted/polished and the alu is being hard anodised grey.

Thanks again everyone for your help and encouragement.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:31:02 »
Congrats man! I can't wait to see how it turns out :D

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 13:26:53 »
Your case is going to turn out super awesome, I'm mad jelly.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #296 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:54:30 »
This is beautiful!

Excellent work!

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #297 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 19:33:23 »
godspeed usps, may the solda pullt arrive soon

also, congrats on the keeperS of the faith, wish i was not afk for that
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2013, 19:35:48 by Dubsgalore »

Offline segfaultless

« Reply #298 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 14:53:20 »
I am looking forward to seeing the final product. Are you thinking of making a GB out of this?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #299 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 14:59:19 »
I am looking forward to seeing the final product. Are you thinking of making a GB out of this?
This has been answered numerous times. No, I'm not planning on doing a GB. I may however sell 1 or 2 in the classifieds.
github