Author Topic: QMK Firmware Flasher - GUI for flashing your atmega32u4 based keyboard  (Read 29495 times)

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
A couple weeks ago I decided to create a keyboard flashing GUI to make flashing a firmware easier. I've created many custom firmwares for my customers but they always have to go through a lot of pain to actually flash them. I emailed Jack Humbert over at OLKB and asked him what he thought of my branding that as QMK, and not only was he agreeable, but he pointed me to a GUI tool he started but never finished.

I've spent the last week polishing up the tool, and it's now the only tool you need to flash your keyboard (assuming you can get ahold of a .hex from somewhere.) It can flash any atmega32u4 based keyboard (teensy, Clueboard, Planck/Atomic, Ergodox, and many many others) using any firmware, not just QMK.

Download Windows and Mac OS X packages here: https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware_flasher/releases

Mac Installation

Open the DMG and drag the QMK Keyboard Loader.app to /Applications.

Windows Installation

• Install the software
  • During installation you will be asked if you wish to install the driver from Atmel. Click Install.
  • Plug your keyboard in, press RESET
  • Wait while windows tries to find a driver in Windows Update. You can tell it to skip this but you'll still wait 5-10 minutes while it searches Windows Update.
  • Run Firmware Flasher

Screenshots

« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2016, 08:02:18 by skullydazed »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
This is great, easy for new users and convenient for the old. metalliqaz recently added similar functionality to Easy AVR.

Perhaps add a few screenshots.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
Perhaps add a few screenshots.

Good idea! I've edited some in.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Just another thing I spotted, looks like this does the flashing over DFU, in that case AFAIK it won't work with Teensy, and will require the Teensy loader. You could always use the Teensy CLI and then just have a drop down to select method of flashing.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
Yeah, when I originally posted I was under the (incorrect) assumption that dfu-programmer could work on teensy. a0-c pointed out my mistake too so I opened this issue: https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware_flasher/issues/4

Great minds think alike I guess. :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Great! ;)

Offline fuzzycuffs

Looks awesome.  If this could also help define keymaps and generate the .hex as well that would be *awesome*

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
can it flash .eep files? because that would be very helpful

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
can it flash .eep files? because that would be very helpful

Not currently, but I can add support. I've opened an issue to track that request: https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware_flasher/issues/5

Looks awesome.  If this could also help define keymaps and generate the .hex as well that would be *awesome*

I have another project I'm working on for that. :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
I would like to use this on my Mac to flash my TMK hex firmware but the "Flash Firmware" button stays red. I am able to flash my firmware using Amtel Flip on a Win PC but I would like to able to do it with this on a Mac. Maybe I am missing something because it does not work on my Mac? The QMK Firmware Flasher is the only GUI flasher I have seen so far, any help getting it to work would be appreciated. Thanks, MJ45

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
Re: QMK Firmware Flasher - GUI for flashing your atmega32u4 based keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 13:32:05 »
I would like to use this on my Mac to flash my TMK hex firmware but the "Flash Firmware" button stays red. I am able to flash my firmware using Amtel Flip on a Win PC but I would like to able to do it with this on a Mac. Maybe I am missing something because it does not work on my Mac? The QMK Firmware Flasher is the only GUI flasher I have seen so far, any help getting it to work would be appreciated. Thanks, MJ45

After you press RESET on your PCB can you click  -> About This Mac, System Report, Find USB in the left Menu, and then look through your list of devices? You're looking for one name ATm32U4DFU.

If you find that, we'll need to do a bit more troubleshooting. If not, there is some problem with your keyboard going into bootloader mode.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 14:35:26 »

After you press RESET on your PCB can you click  -> About This Mac, System Report, Find USB in the left Menu, and then look through your list of devices? You're looking for one name ATm32U4DFU.

If you find that, we'll need to do a bit more troubleshooting. If not, there is some problem with your keyboard going into bootloader mode.
Yes it shows up in System Profiler/ Usb devices/ ATm32U4DFU. I did with pcb reset button and keyboard (in firmware bootloader key) command, either way it will not change the "Flash Firmware" button from red. I know for sure that the keyboard is going into bootloader mode.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 18:32:44 »

Yes it shows up in System Profiler/ Usb devices/ ATm32U4DFU. I did with pcb reset button and keyboard (in firmware bootloader key) command, either way it will not change the "Flash Firmware" button from red. I know for sure that the keyboard is going into bootloader mode.

OK, let's move this over to the issue I just opened here:

https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware_flasher/issues/6

Once I have better debugging facilities we'll be able to track down what your problem is.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 09:15:56 »

Did anyone find a fix for this, bc i'm pretty sure I'm having the same issue. I'm trying to flash a Sentraq s60x RGB with just a common hex file.  I know that my keyboard is in an install mode, bc after i hit the reset button it doesn't respond.  Flash Keybaord remains red and disabled.  I also tried it in windows, and it runs the hex file.  Windows looks for drivers like it should, but fails to install, and dfu-programmer never appears to complete the install.  It shows a lot of code in some progress window, but it never works.  Does the programmer give an indication that it has successfully installed when it does?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 10:52:39 »

Did anyone find a fix for this, bc i'm pretty sure I'm having the same issue. I'm trying to flash a Sentraq s60x RGB with just a common hex file.  I know that my keyboard is in an install mode, bc after i hit the reset button it doesn't respond.  Flash Keybaord remains red and disabled.  I also tried it in windows, and it runs the hex file.  Windows looks for drivers like it should, but fails to install, and dfu-programmer never appears to complete the install.  It shows a lot of code in some progress window, but it never works.  Does the programmer give an indication that it has successfully installed when it does?

Windows will never find the drivers. If for some reason they don't install correctly you have to manually look for drivers under C:\Program Files\QMK Firmware Flasher. We're working on figuring out how to make this more reliable so you don't have to manually install the driver.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 08:58:27 »

Windows will never find the drivers. If for some reason they don't install correctly you have to manually look for drivers under C:\Program Files\QMK Firmware Flasher. We're working on figuring out how to make this more reliable so you don't have to manually install the driver.
thanks. that worked. cant wait for the mac issue to get worked out BUT im super grateful that i can at least use bootcamp to program my keebs. you and jack are the steve wozniaks of the mk community. thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline yanlf666

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 17:49:15 »
DDRF |= (1<<PF5);
PORTF &= (1<<PF5);
The request is valid for location

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:28:02 »
so here i am again, I'm trying to flash a lets split and i'm getting the error: make[1]: *** No rule to make target `avrdude'.  Stop.
Uhh?  what does that mean?  does that mean my make environment is not correct?  does it mean that some how i haven't targeted the pro micro?  or something else?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline JohnLuker

• Torque it down 'til it strips, then back it down
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 11:19:24 »

Does anyone have any insight into resolving this issue? I am windows-less and only have a Mac to use.

Offline WarmCat

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:31:08 »
QMK Flasher still not working on OSX. Is there an alternative?
Trying to flash a DZ60...
Nevermind, I just used command line, was easy enough:
Code: [Select]
sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 erase
sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 flash my_dz60.hex
sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 reset
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:40:35 by WarmCat »

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 23:56:38 »
I couldn't get my Planck to flash with AVRdudess or XLoader at all and then this handy little tool comes along and does it first try. Thanks for this!