Author Topic: [IC]GMK Pharaoh : GB ENDS TOMORROW!! Don't miss out!  (Read 124992 times)

Offline HaX

Re: [IC]GMK Pharaoh : Excavations of ancient Kemet!
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 20:47:33 »
Very excited for this. I will definitely be picking this set up once it hits GB. I want a Rama Ankh and Eye of Ra/Horus to happen.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 10:13:52 »
Very excited for this. I will definitely be picking this set up once it hits GB. I want a Rama Ankh and Eye of Ra/Horus to happen.
Thanks!! Appreciate it.

There will be Rama caps for sure. We are in the process of designing them.
The aakh and Eye of Ra/Horus are definite candidates :)
Stay tuned for more updates!

Offline Myaanz

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 08:02:01 »
So excited for this set! Will match my tattoos! 😂😅

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 04:28:29 »
So excited for this set! Will match my tattoos! 😂😅

Haha nice!! THIS is the first time I have heard something like this :P

Offline milka158

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 12:28:04 »
I would love to see NorDe on this one. NorDe = I'm in!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 17:26:21 »
Then I guess you are in :)

We will add a International kit in the next updates :)

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 17:26:59 »
I would love to see NorDe on this one. NorDe = I'm in!

Check last comment. Forgot yo quote your reply :P

Offline milka158

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 08:35:56 »
Then I guess you are in :)

We will add a International kit in the next updates :)

Hell yeah!

Offline urbanphoenix

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 05:38:09 »
I think the theme of this set and the colors are really cool. The only problem I have is the extreme amount of clutter and how poorly the novelties integrate into the whole set. Without novelties it is not too busy, but with them it looks like a mess. Don't get me wrong I think the novelties look cool on their own, but combined with the sublegends they just seem too much to me. I think some solutions to this may be either getting rid of the sublegends (which I don't really think is a great idea as it pretty much makes the set), add a latin only alpha set, or minimalize the design of the novelties (I think this is the best idea).

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 20:04:59 »
I think the theme of this set and the colors are really cool. The only problem I have is the extreme amount of clutter and how poorly the novelties integrate into the whole set. Without novelties it is not too busy, but with them it looks like a mess. Don't get me wrong I think the novelties look cool on their own, but combined with the sublegends they just seem too much to me. I think some solutions to this may be either getting rid of the sublegends (which I don't really think is a great idea as it pretty much makes the set), add a latin only alpha set, or minimalize the design of the novelties (I think this is the best idea).

Noted! We will see what we can do.

Offline urbanphoenix

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 01:48:37 »

Thank you! I have thought a bit more about this and would like to elaborate. I tend to be bias towards minimalism as well so take that for what it's worth. I think that this set is going to be a busy set not matter what. The sublegends guarantee that. But the level of clutter goes up significantly with the novelties. This is not inherently a bad thing. If you have a base level of clutter (say Cx) and you have a key with more clutter than Cx then the eye is naturally drawn towards it. This is fine if there is only one key which draws the eye, this key then becomes the centerpiece of your set. Many sets do this, creating a eye-drawing enter key novelty (sometimes with inverted colors as in this set). But this set also includes many other novelties that fill the same role, mostly the caps lock, backspace and hieroglyph novelties (I actually like the enter key and I think it is minimal enough to work). As a result, with all the novelties on a board, the eye is drawn to many places at once making it seem busy (to me at least). If you are going to keep the enter key novelty, then the backspace, caps locks and hieroglyph novelty should be minimalized. I have taken a shot at minimalizing the novelties myself. Thanks for being so open to feedback!

265525-0

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 02:22:50 »

Thank you! I have thought a bit more about this and would like to elaborate. I tend to be bias towards minimalism as well so take that for what it's worth. I think that this set is going to be a busy set not matter what. The sublegends guarantee that. But the level of clutter goes up significantly with the novelties. This is not inherently a bad thing. If you have a base level of clutter (say Cx) and you have a key with more clutter than Cx then the eye is naturally drawn towards it. This is fine if there is only one key which draws the eye, this key then becomes the centerpiece of your set. Many sets do this, creating a eye-drawing enter key novelty (sometimes with inverted colors as in this set). But this set also includes many other novelties that fill the same role, mostly the caps lock, backspace and hieroglyph novelties (I actually like the enter key and I think it is minimal enough to work). As a result, with all the novelties on a board, the eye is drawn to many places at once making it seem busy (to me at least). If you are going to keep the enter key novelty, then the backspace, caps locks and hieroglyph novelty should be minimalized. I have taken a shot at minimalizing the novelties myself. Thanks for being so open to feedback!

(Attachment Link)
If I may chime in, I much prefer the original novelties, and I don’t think it looks like a mess at all even with sublegends. Not every set has to be minimalistic, god knows there are enough sets like that on monthly basis. Sometimes you can go bold and still be successful (see GMK Awaken). IMHO the set is perfect as it is and making it more subdued would kill its personality. Again, plenty of minimalistic sets out there already for those who prefer that. Just grab a GMK Lux extra ;)

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 03:24:04 »
Wow, this is something I never knew I wanted  :eek: Until now
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 04:24:23 »

(Attachment Link)

Hey good job on the mocking up of simplified novelties set. I kinda like this more than the original novelties actually (especially the pyramid from pyramid+sphynx), may make the process of creating the mould much easier too. Imo, the pharaoh mask can be even simpler.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 05:41:55 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Good work on the photoshop :). Really appreciate the feedback.
A redesign of the novelties to a more minimal look would involve changing everything so that they are coherent. That being said, this set was never supposed to be that minimal. Even with this approach, the keyset will still be busy.
The whole essence of having 2 lines of hieroglyphics was to show how a Egyptian temple wall would look like.
Imo, there is too much negative space in the art in this minimalistic approach which, personally, I am not a fan of. The singular eye of Horus would be better suited for a 1u key. We will have a Rama artisan for that anyways.

Offline Re9456

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 10:59:23 »
Imagine this set on Aaru TKL :)

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 14:28:07 »
I don't want to repeat too much of what's been said, but I'm definitely in if those sublegends work out with doubleshot. Great design idea. I too would love to see Rama artisans. Idk if it's possible, but I feel like this set might be a good time to explore a gold plated Rama keycap.

Offline urbanphoenix

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 20:30:20 »

A redesign of the novelties to a more minimal look would involve changing everything so that they are coherent. That being said, this set was never supposed to be that minimal. Even with this approach, the keyset will still be busy.
The whole essence of having 2 lines of hieroglyphics was to show how a Egyptian temple wall would look like.
Imo, there is too much negative space in the art in this minimalistic approach which, personally, I am not a fan of. The singular eye of Horus would be better suited for a 1u key. We will have a Rama artisan for that anyways.

Yes, I agree that it won't be minimal. My argument is that all the novelties besides the enter key should retain the same/similar amount of negative space as the alphas to make them blend in better. In my opinion (I can't stress enough that this is all my opinion) the novelties, besides the enter key, should retain the same amount (or close to) of negative space as the regular mod (the regular backspace has a lot of negative space as well). I've photoshopped this render to better illustrate my point. In this edit my eye is immediately drawn to the enter key (rather than all over the place) then afterwards is free to explore the other novelties and the alphas. I agree about the eye of Horus novelty, I couldn't make it work in this edit so I removed it as you can see. I like the 2 row hieroglyph novelties better in concept, and I think it does fulfill your vision of an Egyptian temple (have I mentioned how much I love this set? wouldn't give this kinda feedback if I didn't lol), but I think including more negative space make the keys blend in more with the alphas and the other non-novelty mods.

265565-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 March 2021, 20:37:00 by urbanphoenix »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 05:08:09 »

Yes, I agree that it won't be minimal. My argument is that all the novelties besides the enter key should retain the same/similar amount of negative space as the alphas to make them blend in better. In my opinion (I can't stress enough that this is all my opinion) the novelties, besides the enter key, should retain the same amount (or close to) of negative space as the regular mod (the regular backspace has a lot of negative space as well). I've photoshopped this render to better illustrate my point. In this edit my eye is immediately drawn to the enter key (rather than all over the place) then afterwards is free to explore the other novelties and the alphas. I agree about the eye of Horus novelty, I couldn't make it work in this edit so I removed it as you can see. I like the 2 row hieroglyph novelties better in concept, and I think it does fulfill your vision of an Egyptian temple (have I mentioned how much I love this set? wouldn't give this kinda feedback if I didn't lol), but I think including more negative space make the keys blend in more with the alphas and the other non-novelty mods.

(Attachment Link)

Woah! Thank you so much for being so thorough. I really appreciate the effort you have put here.
Coming to the design, although I do agree with some things you are saying, I have not received enough feedback from a significant amount of people to rethink the novelties.
Although I like some of the ideas, if I were to go a minimal approach , I would definitely do a complete redesign and not change a few novelties. I like my designs to be coherent.
If I were to create something more minimal in the future I would go back to your through explanation from the start.
Sadly, a complete overhaul of the novelties at this stage is not possible since we have already finished the design/ renders to be sent to GMK(according to their specs) in the background. I hope you understand.

But whats next in store is that we have changed the kit a bit, adding an extra novelty in R1 and adding an ISO  enter novelty which was asked from us so many times in the IC.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 10:39:22 »
New kits including a 40s and NordeUK coming soon!
Plus we have some really nice new novelties as well. Stay tuned!  ;D

Offline Xury46

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 16:10:46 »
Awesome set! Thanks for sharing some of your process for making the novelties, that background information is really fascinating.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 01:53:17 »
Awesome set! Thanks for sharing some of your process for making the novelties, that background information is really fascinating.

Thanks a lot! It feels good to share the process since most people are not aware of it. Haha!
More sneak peaks / leeks are posted directly in my discord channel.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
Re: [IC]GMK Pharaoh : New Kits + New Renders | Vendors
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 13:25:28 »
Firstly, thanks for the huge support we have received over this concept.

We have made a ton of changes.
1. Full base kit changed to a compact base kit +  numpad kit
  - New tertiary sublegend for SH, PH, KH, CH sounds.
  - The whole essence of this set is to introduce the new hieroglyphics sublegends as a doubleshot mold. Since 26 new sublegends will cost a lot a full base kit does not make much sense. With a compact base kit, we want to make this affordable for the masses.
2. Number row hieroglyphics removed.
  - In my opinion, they did not add anything more design wise and just increased the price for molds. For DS, its unnecessary cost that I want to avoid.
3. Spacebar kit changes.
 - Replaced black mini spacebars with accent colored spacebars. Added 1u black spacebar.
4. Nebu Kit removed.
  - The alphas kits are generally quite expensive and the nebu kit with all those new molds would cost close to a compact base set.
5. Added a 40s base kit.
6. Added a International Kit.
7. Novelties changes
   - Removed accented Nefertiti and added a Osiris R1 1u key. Its better since the whole one nav cluster can be covered now.
   - Added a ISO enter novelty. The novelty represents the Cartouche of Rameses II (Prenomen)
   - Added a new hieroglyphic novelties( R4  1.25u) instead of repeating it.
8. Hieroglyphics/ novelties art : The sublegends are made larger to be more viewable and completely meets the GMK requirements. GMK has the final  say though. We are sending them for a review next week.
9. Renders : Brand new renders for the above changes.
10. We have literally a ton of collabs coming up including RAMA metal keycaps.
11. Vendors announced.

I hope I did not miss anything. Feel free to let me know if I did.
I am looking forward to see what you guys think about the changes!
Thanks for reading this super long change log.

TL;DR : New Kits and vendors. So many changes, much WOW.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 14:03:02 »
Thanks for the update. Can I confirm that the new molds can indeed be double shot and not pad printed? I’m not sure if the lines on some of the symbols are too fine. Otherwise I’m in :)

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 14:13:15 »
Thanks for the update. Can I confirm that the new molds can indeed be double shot and not pad printed? I’m not sure if the lines on some of the symbols are too fine. Otherwise I’m in :)

The art (sublegends and novelties) all follow the GMK double shot specifications. The sublegends width are now more than the GMK specifications. The novelties as well are designed with the GMK specs. Spec wise everything is fine.

Currently, there is no plan to go pad printed.

We will send the art next week to GMK for review. We will update when we hear from GMK.

Offline honoka

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 15:16:46 »
Not sure how I missed this. Love it

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 02:01:21 »

The art (sublegends and novelties) all follow the GMK double shot specifications. The sublegends width are now more than the GMK specifications. The novelties as well are designed with the GMK specs. Spec wise everything is fine.

We will send the art next week to GMK for review. We will update when we hear from GMK.

Good to hear. Keep us posted!

Offline WillyWortel

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 07:56:06 »
By how much would the price of the base set increase in order to keep  the number row glymphs? I really liked those.

BTW: The new ISO enter hieroglyph is awsome. In egyptian, those  also appear horizontal. An ANSI enter with a similar horizontal hieroglyph would be a great addition to the novelties set :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 April 2021, 08:01:27 by WillyWortel »

Offline Tiff0

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 12:07:13 »
FWIW, I really loved the design when it was “busier” too. I thought it added to the charm, because hieroglyphs look inherently busy anyway.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 12:32:28 »
FWIW, I really loved the design when it was “busier” too. I thought it added to the charm, because hieroglyphs look inherently busy anyway.

The hieroglyphics on the alphas are busier since we added the CH, SH, KH and PH tertiary sublegends.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 12:34:23 »
By how much would the price of the base set increase in order to keep  the number row glymphs? I really liked those.

BTW: The new ISO enter hieroglyph is awsome. In egyptian, those  also appear horizontal. An ANSI enter with a similar horizontal hieroglyph would be a great addition to the novelties set :)

Dont really know about the costs. Num row tertiary sublegends also made ISO/ international kiting undoable.

I am glad you liked the ISO enter. The ansi already has a scarab novelty. That will stay. We might add something as a RAMA novelty though. Stay tuned!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 12:34:59 »
Not sure how I missed this. Love it

Hehe.. Now you cant unmiss it.
Glad you like it!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 19:57:25 »

Good to hear. Keep us posted!

As always  :thumb:

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 15:57:39 »
Definitively the most stylish of the Egypt-themed sets. Clear winner!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 18:05:15 »
Definitively the most stylish of the Egypt-themed sets. Clear winner!

Thanks! It means a lot!!!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 04:03:26 »
Bump

Offline Tiff0

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 16:48:52 »
I’m so excited about this. Can’t get enough ancient Egyptian themed stuff!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 02:04:46 »
I’m so excited about this. Can’t get enough ancient Egyptian themed stuff!

Thanks you  :thumb:

Offline Frayne

• For deskmat inquiries: illu_zn
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 13:59:58 »
Love this set, any plans on a brass/gold colored metal artisan collab from Thok or Rama?

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 15:05:53 »
Love this set, any plans on a brass/gold colored metal artisan collab from Thok or Rama?

Thank you !!

Yes there are plans to have metal artisan collabs :) Stay tuned!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 12:39:52 »
Small update.

1. Designs were sent to GMK. Now we wait for their reply.
2. Rama keycaps design started.
3. All Artisan collabs are almost confirmed and will be updated  in a few weeks.
4. Deskmat design is ongoing. Probably we will stick to 2 deskmats this time.

I guess thats about it.

Offline iShibe

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 13:15:52 »
This is another set i've been watching for some time, even when i was just a lurker. I need it so bad, so I hope it takes off soon! This is my favorite Egyptian themed set, and the novelties are to DIE for.  ;)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 13:19:02 »
Now imagine this on Aaru tkl! The coolest keyboard there ever was  :p

It would be nice to see numpad supported in base kit just for the boomers
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 13:40:12 »
Now imagine this on Aaru tkl! The coolest keyboard there ever was  :p

It would be nice to see numpad supported in base kit just for the boomers

Honored to have treeleaf commenting on my post.

Numpad was previously there in the base kit but was removed in order to bring the potential price down. I am also a supporter of numpad in base  :thumb:

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 20:01:43 »
I'm buying this for the M60-A LNY20 EDITION as I think it will go perfectly with the black and gold.

Can't wait tbh (although I can wait, as It took 1.5 years for my Rama board to arrive lol).

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

The Kit in the OP says 7C spacebar, what's the difference between that and the 7U?

267617-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 April 2021, 20:08:46 by Lazylewis »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 10:10:13 »
I'm buying this for the M60-A LNY20 EDITION as I think it will go perfectly with the black and gold.

Can't wait tbh (although I can wait, as It took 1.5 years for my Rama board to arrive lol).

(Attachment Link)

The Kit in the OP says 7C spacebar, what's the difference between that and the 7U?

(Attachment Link)

The spacebars are marked as C due to their shape. They would fit the Rama board :)

Offline peaceperfection

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 10:48:22 »
Interested, will check back again when pricing is announced.

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 15:07:14 »
Small update.

3. All Artisan collabs are almost confirmed and will be updated  in a few weeks.

I guess thats about it.
I'm hyped to see what deskmats can come from this set. I have high expectations after seeing how absolutely stunning these hieroglyphs look for the sublegends and how great the novelties look.

Offline daethon

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 23:26:26 »
Can’t wait!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #149 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 10:55:16 »
Small update.

I guess thats about it.
I'm hyped to see what deskmats can come from this set. I have high expectations after seeing how absolutely stunning these hieroglyphs look for the sublegends and how great the novelties look.

Thanks for the appreciation!
We will be releasing the deskmat designs in a couple of days! I hope you will enjoy it!