Author Topic: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Pricing Announced! [10/1/20]  (Read 129223 times)

Offline Owl

Group Buy: October 6th

About the set |

For many of us, the rain has a strong influence on how we think and feel. Each person can feel something profoundly
different than the other; Relaxation, a clear mind, subtle sadness, dramatic nostalgia, or utter hopelessness. GMK Rainy Days
is a dedication to these feelings. I wanted to design a set that not only had a theme, but a strong and dramatic mood and atmosphere.

My inspiration for this set comes from two main sources. The rain, of course, and brutalist/oppressive architecture and the
dramatic role it plays in how we interpret and reflect. The stark presence of raw or bare material making up the world we live in.
From buildings to bridges to the streetlights that are always watching us. I have always felt like props stand out as monoliths when
we find ourselves engulfed by the cool overcast air, thinking about a memory, a loved one, or the uncertainty of the future.

Thank you for taking the time to read and review my work and I welcome all criticism you can offer.

Kits |

Base

Sidewalks

Hangul

Petrichor

Colors |

(Direct natural lighting)

Desk Mats |

Streetlight:

Concrete:

Renders |
By Abec13

Group Buy: October 6th

Vendors and Pricing |

Keycaps and Deskmats |
United States: Kono
Canada: DeskHero
Europe: CandyKeys
Asia: ZFrontier
Oceania: Daily Clack

Cables |
SwiftCables

Updates |

9/28/2020 - GB slated for October 6th. SwiftCables collaboration. I have the cable renders in hand but waiting to post them until I get a green light from SwiftCables. You can see them on the Discord though. The new Novelty Renders are being worked on as we speak and will be done VERY soon. Artisans will run at a later date.
7/30/2020 - GB slated for September. Artisans and Cables renders coming soon.
5/25/2020 - All vendors announced. GB coming soon!
5/25/2020 - Final kits and renders published. EU vendor announcement. Added keys to spacebar kit. 40's/Ortho Kit has been removed. Unpopular deskmats have been removed.
4/26/2020 - Made some small changes to the IC thread to clear up some questions about kits. Small changes to the base kit is being worked on. The big overhaul with new renders and vendors is coming soon.
2/08/2020 - New Desk Mat art ideas and finalization of kits. Please check out the new form here (Form Deleted)
2/01/2020 - Updated renders for the set. added keyboard renders. Colors are final. Work on first desk mat is about 40% done.
1/19/2020 - Added the 40's/Ortho kit. I also reached out to someone for renders so hopefully those are just around the corner!
1/19/2020 - I have added a google form to gauge preference for the languages and some other things. Check it out here! -> (Form Deleted)
1/18/2020 - IC thread started

Banner Link:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104278.0][img width=316 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/fwoejR1.png[/img][/url]

WEBSITES AND SOCIAL MEDIA

« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 01:11:37 by Owl »

Offline Scottw

• ScottW's Boards
Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day - Early Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:04:12 »
I like where you are going and I am definitely interested.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:05:54 »
Yeah. Me too. Like the blue

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Eipplepod

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:10:51 »
Any chance you are going with ISO layout and an international kit for DE and other languages?

Offline Kotahh

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:16:26 »
If you haven't already thought about it, possibly some umbrellas or clouds would be cool for novelties.

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:17:58 »
Interesting

Offline Owl

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:18:40 »
Any chance you are going with ISO layout and an international kit for DE and other languages?

I think it should be perfectly feasible to add ISO support as most sets do these days. Not sure if it will go in the base kit or as an extra kit yet though. But you can expect it either way.

I can't say for certain on the other languages though. I started with Hangul as Korean is the language that I am attempting to learn off and on and the aesthetics of the characters fit really well with the set I believe. However if there is an overwhelming majority that wants something else I am absolutely open to making that change.

Offline Owl

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:19:38 »
If you haven't already thought about it, possibly some umbrellas or clouds would be cool for novelties.

I actually haven't. I really like the idea of the clouds. I will start mocking those up asap. Thank you!

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 14:44:13 »
If by 2020 you haven’t written a short story about the colors in a keyset and inspiration behind them.... you aren’t even relevant.

Offline octix

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 14:50:19 »
Loving the colors. Gl

Discord: octix#0478

Offline antx1701

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:08:58 »
Muted Dark? Love it.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:31:26 »
this is just Olivia but ____________.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:32:31 »
If by 2020 you haven’t written a short story about the colors in a keyset and inspiration behind them.... you aren’t even relevant.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:34:03 »
wow did you watch weathering with you as well?

wtb sunshine girl gf
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 16:48:18 »

wtb sunshine girl gf

why yes i did watch tenki no ko

Offline utsukishi

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 17:22:51 »

wtb sunshine girl gf

70% of the human body is made of h2o, but 100% of me wants 2 support this set

Offline LizbetKW

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 18:15:59 »
It rains a lot where I live. I love this set and your colors are spot on, please don't change them! That blue is perfect. I would definitely buy and orthos set and novelties. I love the raindrop novelties and support the addition of cloud novelties. Gimme a banner so I can add it to my posts!

Offline Owl

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 18:50:05 »
It rains a lot where I live. I love this set and your colors are spot on, please don't change them! That blue is perfect. I would definitely buy and orthos set and novelties. I love the raindrop novelties and support the addition of cloud novelties. Gimme a banner so I can add it to my posts!

Thank you so much for your feedback! I have added a banner to the IC post. I will also be adding a 40's/Ortho kit very soon. Thank you again for your support!

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2020, 18:57:32 by Owl »

Offline Eipplepod

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 03:06:28 »

I think it should be perfectly feasible to add ISO support as most sets do these days. Not sure if it will go in the base kit or as an extra kit yet though. But you can expect it either way.

I can't say for certain on the other languages though. I started with Hangul as Korean is the language that I am attempting to learn off and on and the aesthetics of the characters fit really well with the set I believe. However if there is an overwhelming majority that wants something else I am absolutely open to making that change.
Think about making a google form to find out what sets people are willing to buy.

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 04:39:50 »
Reminds me of a grey Shoko

I like it :thumb:

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 11:23:46 »
GMK does better matching to RAL, have you looked into RAL matching the colors over Pantone?  Overall I like the look of the set.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Owl

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 14:41:02 »
GMK does better matching to RAL, have you looked into RAL matching the colors over Pantone?  Overall I like the look of the set.

I did look at RAL and found that they were way off to my original colors. I am not sure if there is a way to get a custom color made in matched RAL form though.

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 15:42:41 »
Oooh, very pretty colors. I like this a lot.

Can't wait to see actual renders for this.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 17:09:26 »
ngl, I was kind of dismissive initially, but now I'm really curious to see how the renders look. Also for the hangul, I recommend adding the won pipe key.

Offline BouncyChillups

• Formerly PleasantChaos
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 17:20:41 »
I'm kinda intrigued, looks interesting. Definitely following this

Offline ullr

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 17:59:27 »
Set doesn't really interest me but I love the album the cover of which you made your profile photo so support! 👍

Offline Owl

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 18:02:45 »
Set doesn't really interest me but I love the album the cover of which you made your profile photo so support! 👍

WOW I never thought I would meet another fan! You have my support with whatever you do as well haha. Cheers!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 19:06:48 »
Interesting colorway, almost like darkened Shoko.

Maybe take a look at the "Cool Gray" series of Pantone colors. They might be nice for the modifier keys.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 12:06:15 »
Very much interested!

Offline eggplant-chan-

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 12:49:22 »
Don't forget a version of F and J with homing bumps. I think there's normally a homing key on numpad too

Offline eggplant-chan-

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 12:55:39 »
Don't forget a version of F and J with homing bumps. I think there's normally a homing key on numpad too
Same for hangul version too.

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 10:40:21 »
Interested as well!

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 11:09:39 »
Nice, I really like the base colors & the slightly blueish accent plays surprisingly well with it all! This is definitely a set I'd be interested in.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 12:12:47 »
Nice, I really like the base colors & the slightly blueish accent plays surprisingly well with it all! This is definitely a set I'd be interested in.

+1

Really diggin the cool blue/grey tone of this set. I'd definitely be in on this.

Offline Owl

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 18:23:01 »
Thank you all so much for your honest feedback and support. I am reading every single one of your comments and reviewing the polls in the google form every day to make sure that this set is a unique addition to the GMK family and a success. I am going to make sure to the best of my ability that the original colors for this set stay so that the atmosphere and vision stays rich and accurate. While this may effect pricing and time to GB, I feel it is absolutely neccassary to make this set one of a kind.

The professional renders are coming soon. I am reaching out to several people still and working with their schedules and pricing but they are on the way.

The novelties are still a work in progress and are not final. I feel like a vast majority of you had a lot of positive things to say about the colors and the kits but the novelties still need that polish to ensure that they provide their own weight of thematic support for the set. So I will hold off on rendering those until I feel like I have a final revision for the novelties that I and the community are really excited about. There is a good chance that I may make quite a few more and create a poll to decide what direction the novelty kit goes.

Thanks again for making this so rewarding and exciting for me so far.

Offline LizbetKW

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 23:43:10 »
Yay! so excited for it!

Offline huey

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 05:27:07 »
I really like these colours and the tone, a set like this has some real potential to become a hit. But there are some niggles.

Here are a few things that bother me though:
 - The miss-match in the KLE to the render is quite bad, and shouldn't happen. People are going to get confused are will make more work for you than needed.
 - Please consider putting full UK ISO in there. For the sake of 3 more 1u keys, the UK crowd would be grateful if you did.
 - Getting good renders done early would have complete this IC more for me and given much more creative room to show off the set (and novelties). I understand that you are getting them done but this IC could have carried so much weight and attention with them right of the gate.

Other than that, it's a great set and good luck with running because I'm sure Vendors will jump on this! GL

Offline Owl

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 12:54:01 »
I really like these colours and the tone, a set like this has some real potential to become a hit. But there are some niggles.

Here are a few things that bother me though:
 - The miss-match in the KLE to the render is quite bad, and shouldn't happen. People are going to get confused are will make more work for you than needed.
 - Please consider putting full UK ISO in there. For the sake of 3 more 1u keys, the UK crowd would be grateful if you did.
 - Getting good renders done early would have complete this IC more for me and given much more creative room to show off the set (and novelties). I understand that you are getting them done but this IC could have carried so much weight and attention with them right of the gate.

Other than that, it's a great set and good luck with running because I'm sure Vendors will jump on this! GL

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. I have updated the IC and polished it a bit more to avoid that confusion. I also do intend to have full UK ISO support. it's not in the current base kit render, as I have not yet decided if it will be in the base kit or a separate kit. But it will be there either way.

Offline kontradictions

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | New Renders [Update: 2/1/20]
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 18:49:41 »
I am loving everything about this kit. Definitely in!

Offline irneb

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 08:25:50 »
Really like this

Happy to see that hangul alphas are getting some love
Current thigns: KFE, Whale, Fallacy, GSKT-00

Offline konstanz_

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 01:18:42 »
i really like it but wish it were dsa or kat

also hangul is really appreciated!

Offline thejuicebox

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 01:29:09 »
I love the Hangul as well!! Alternative novelties with maybe a poll could be nice, unless novelties are final already!

Offline Kiba

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 02:30:52 »
As a pluviophile, this is right up my alley. Great choice of colours, eagerly waiting a mat design.

Keep it up!

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 04:03:24 »
I like this alot.  Pixel melancholia

Offline thejuicebox

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 22:18:56 »
Gosh i hope this set takes off, having Hangul on the checklist makes it so hard to pick my first GMK set out! Godspeed to Rainy Day!!

Offline aodaliya1234

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 09:43:25 »
Add a bench next to a street lamp as a novlties enter kit would match this theme really well in my opinion (I'm in love with the inspiration behind this set as well as how it looks now btw). Question tho, is it intentional that the novelties are done in pixel art style?

Offline Owl

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:32:09 »
Add a bench next to a street lamp as a novlties enter kit would match this theme really well in my opinion (I'm in love with the inspiration behind this set as well as how it looks now btw). Question tho, is it intentional that the novelties are done in pixel art style?

Glad you like it! to answer your question, no it was not intentionally done that way. I sort of just screencapped keys from KLE and drew on them. I intend to update them to be like actual images as no other parts of the set have pixel themes to them.

Also I like your idea and will definitely mock something up to add to the kit. I intend to make quite a few and have them narrowed down via a poll or something. Same with desk mats (which are very close to done. will probably update the thread in a week or two with the freshly drawn novelties and the mats and new polls.)

Offline aodaliya1234

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 19:55:26 »

Glad you like it! to answer your question, no it was not intentionally done that way. I sort of just screencapped keys from KLE and drew on them. I intend to update them to be like actual images as no other parts of the set have pixel themes to them.

Also I like your idea and will definitely mock something up to add to the kit. I intend to make quite a few and have them narrowed down via a poll or something. Same with desk mats (which are very close to done. will probably update the thread in a week or two with the freshly drawn novelties and the mats and new polls.)

Excited for deskmats for sure, I have too many kits already so I've resorted to buying mats or novelties from kits that I really like and this could be the next one hahaha

Offline thejuicebox

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Desk Mats and Kit Changes [Update: 2/8/20]
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 22:29:26 »
COUNT ME IN ON THE MATS!!  whewww so pumped for this update, sexy city hangul GMK pls....

Offline Top Right Logo

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Desk Mats and Kit Changes [Update: 2/8/20]
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 23:04:48 »
Deskmats are an INSTANT COP