Author Topic: NEW! Alps-based TKL Keyboard Project  (Read 83186 times)

Offline dante

Re: NEW! Alps-based TKL Keyboard Project
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 14:47:03 »
No dante and frankly, that would just throw another wrinkle into this project which has been in a sluggish state for months. I think that's a good project for another time, but not this project.

Plus are there Alps boards that will accept center stem placement?

I don't know.  I was thinking of something for the future.  ie:  Someone runs a group buy for a nice looking set of keycaps from SP.  They could also run an option for the same set with Alps.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 14:57:24 »
No dante and frankly, that would just throw another wrinkle into this project which has been in a sluggish state for months. I think that's a good project for another time, but not this project.

Plus are there Alps boards that will accept center stem placement?

I don't know.  I was thinking of something for the future.  ie:  Someone runs a group buy for a nice looking set of keycaps from SP.  They could also run an option for the same set with Alps.

Calavera was running with this. He has an IC going for the keycaps. For the first Alps GB, we should let one point of contact go forward with SP.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 14:59:33 »
Yup, I completely agree with you jdcarpe.

Offline dante

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 07:54:21 »
What exactly are you pointing out? The fact that Matias is making keycaps?

Edit: Tapatalk linked me to the wrong post and I got confused. So Edgar is saying MX + Matias Alps stem isnt possible? Interesting.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2013, 07:56:47 by CPTBadAss »

Offline dante

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:04:30 »
What exactly are you pointing out? The fact that Matias is making keycaps?

Edit: Tapatalk linked me to the wrong post and I got confused. So Edgar is saying MX + Matias Alps stem isnt possible? Interesting.

He is in the process of making keycaps.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:05:01 »
Any news?
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:08:25 »
JD and I talked about this a few times. I think we're going to say it's on hiatus until we get keycaps. If Matias or calavera end up creating keycaps, I'll try and reinvigorate this project. The whole problem is having no keycaps so even if we design a PCB/case, there's no caps for the keyboard. JD has spoken to a few suppliers and has gotten little response.

In the mean time, Matias is due to release a 60% Alps GB soon; hopefully with keycaps as well.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:10:12 »
Sprit is also going to have an ALPS group buy soon.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:14:31 »
JD and I talked about this a few times. I think we're going to say it's on hiatus until we get keycaps. If Matias or calavera end up creating keycaps, I'll try and reinvigorate this project. The whole problem is having no keycaps so even if we design a PCB/case, there's no caps for the keyboard. JD has spoken to a few suppliers and has gotten little response.

In the mean time, Matias is due to release a 60% Alps GB soon; hopefully with keycaps as well.

Hold up....back the eff up.... what?!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:16:46 »

Akimbro, get hyped

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52217.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50523.msg1120724#msg1120724

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:19:19 »

Akimbro, get hyped

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52217.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50523.msg1120724#msg1120724

WTF...I'm losing my **** here CPT! ALPs 60% omg! 

Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:25:31 »
Sprit's due to release a 60%, 75%, and TKL Alps GB soon as well Akimbo. That's why I'm saying that 2014 is the year of the Alps!!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 16:18:07 »
I want to make an Alps Ergodox!

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #214 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 16:05:49 »
So, it means we are done here?
I haven't even started!
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 16:15:20 »
I'm not officially declaring this dead until we get a TKL Alps keyboard. It's just on hiatus. :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 20:59:53 »
I want to make an Alps Ergodox!

That would be pretty awesome.... An ALPS ergodox, or ergodox derivative (thumbs, ya know), or catboard!
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 08:02:18 »
so the only problem here is keycaps right?Why don't we go with already existing caps from dell,sgi and omnikey that way we just need to design pcb+plate and make so that it can fit qfr/filco case.I'm already working on a pcb for me that can support caps from those 3 boards i wanted to include AEK but i cant get around those 1.25 bottom row keys since they are interfering and making shorts, as for plates i only need ppl with omni,sgi and dell at101,101w to mesure stabs placement on their boards if possible.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #218 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 08:15:26 »
so the only problem here is keycaps right?Why don't we go with already existing caps from dell,sgi and omnikey that way we just need to design pcb+plate and make so that it can fit qfr/filco case.

You have to get people to buy Dell AT101Ws or SGI Granites to harvest parts. That's fine; the kingsaver does it. The point of this project was that we wanted to have custom *everything*. Caps, PCB, plate, and cases.

Why don't we go with already existing caps from dell,sgi and omnikey that way we just need to design pcb+plate and make so that it can fit qfr/filco case.I'm already working on a pcb for me that can support caps from those 3 boards i wanted to include AEK but i cant get around those 1.25 bottom row keys since they are interfering and making shorts

But are you sure those caps and stabilizers are going to fit into a QFR/Filco case? My AT101 caps won't fit on my Ducky1087 XM case. Alps caps are weird. That's why the Kingsaver was specifically designed for the Wang 825 caps and stabilizers.

as for plates i only need ppl with omni,sgi and dell at101,101w to mesure stabs placement on their boards if possible.

Maybe you should start a new thread so you get more visibility instead of being under this title and project? That way people don't get confused.

And welcome to Geekhack!
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 08:28:26 by CPTBadAss »

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 08:26:47 »
Thanks, if sp can do all the keys with combo stems eg 7x spacebar for winkeyless i'm willing to help with plate/pcb design even the case is not the problem, i just need stem placement of dcs stepped caps lock from what i see it's for 1.25 key but im not sure so i need help there, after that i can design pcb/plate and share it here.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 08:28:09 »
Thanks, if sp can do all the keys with combo stems eg 7x spacebar for winkeyless i'm willing to help with plate/pcb

That's the problem. They dont have molds for the modifiers or spacebars if I remember correctly. I think we'll have the plate covered but we can talk about the PCB if you want.

Edit: That being said...apparently Tai Hao still make Alps keycaps, according to Daniel Beardsmore. Elton5354 just did a Tai Hao keycap run for MX. I wonder if we could do a run for Alps...Only issue being the MOQ is really high.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 08:31:22 by CPTBadAss »

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 08:55:32 »
Ok so i tested out caps lock placement and we have it like this, if we go with sp keycaps we can only use stepped caps lock or normal one but if we go with taihao keycaps we can use both and thats if im not wrong about taihao stepped caps lock stem placement i need someone to check that it should be same as tab keycap.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:00:52 »
Ok so i tested out caps lock placement and we have it like this, if we go with sp keycaps we can only use stepped caps lock or normal one but if we go with taihao keycaps we can use both and thats if im not wrong about taihao stepped caps lock stem placement i need someone to check that it should be same as tab keycap.

Where are you looking at these SP and Tai Hao caps locks? And I thought that Signature Plastics didn't have shift, control, spacebars, and other modifier molds. So the caps lock might work but we still have missing caps and stabilizers.

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:09:25 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47831.60

tai hao stepped caps lock, anyway ill go about designing pcb and we will see about keycaps and plates.

that keycap should be the same on dell and sgi boards.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:11:19 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47831.60

tai hao stepped caps lock, anyway ill go about designing pcb and we will see about keycaps and plates.

I think Tai Hao might be promising but they have a super high MOQ. And that's assuming the MX caps locks have the same stem location as their Alps caps.

I think we could handle the plates.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the PCB though. Keep me posted :D.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 11:40:00 »
As part of my Blox project, I am incorporating support for Alps switches, all of the various modular parts will have support for both Alps and MX switches. I honestly think we will not get anywhere by PCB/KBD designers waiting for Alps keycaps in the market, and possible Alps GBs waiting for keyboards to put them on. It is a chicken and egg situation.

Someone/people have to step up and take initiative.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 11:41:41 »
I honestly think we will not get anywhere by PCB/KBD designers waiting for Alps keycaps in the market, and possible Alps GBs waiting for keyboards to put them on.

And you're going to use what caps then? Taking initiative doesn't solve the cap issue. Going to type on the stems? Or harvest from old boards?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 11:44:11 »
I honestly think we will not get anywhere by PCB/KBD designers waiting for Alps keycaps in the market, and possible Alps GBs waiting for keyboards to put them on.

And you're going to use what caps then? Taking initiative doesn't solve the cap issue. Going to type on the stems? Or harvest from old boards?

Perhaps someone should ask Matias on the AMA today about his progress on offering key caps.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 11:47:40 »

That is the exact problem, when someone says let's have an Alps keycap GB, the question is what are you going to use it on, there aren't enough boards. Adding Alps support on a PCB is not that hard, it will slightly increase cost of PCB due to slot hole, that's all. Having a number of of boards that do support Alps switches would mean more interest for Alps keycap GB, both of them go hand-in-hand. Having a PCB design available does not mean that we have to produce it right off and start using it, it allows us an option and gives an opportunity to produce new Alps keycaps. Besides, the point of MX+Alps board is to have the option available.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 11:57:06 »

Perhaps someone should ask Matias on the AMA today about his progress on offering key caps.

I agree wholeheartedly. I suggested that question in my post here.

That is the exact problem, when someone says let's have an Alps keycap GB, the question is what are you going to use it on, there aren't enough boards. Adding Alps support on a PCB is not that hard, it will slightly increase cost of PCB due to slot hole, that's all. Having a number of of boards that do support Alps switches would mean more interest for Alps keycap GB, both of them go hand-in-hand. Having a PCB design available does not mean that we have to produce it right off and start using it, it allows us an option and gives an opportunity to produce new Alps keycaps. Besides, the point of MX+Alps board is to have the option available.

I think you're missing my point but it's fine. I agree with what you're saying.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:04:45 »
SP? :D
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:17:24 »
I think you're missing my point but it's fine. I agree with what you're saying.

But, I would like to know what you have in mind.

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:32:04 »
I'm almost done with pcb that can support all old alps boards, now from what i understand in calver gb for sp cpas sp can't make caps with alps stabs but they can with cherry stab or i'm just retarded and can't read  :(
as for taihao someone needs to contact them and check if they can make all the caps with alps stabs if so we could have a board supporting taihao caps and caps from old boards, once again someone needs to contact both sp and taihao so we can have clear info on what can we do,
then there is also matias.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 15:20:34 »
But, I would like to know what you have in mind.

I think the statements you made earlier are made from what we now know. Like what skrsh3r is stating:

what i understand in calver gb for sp cpas sp can't make caps with alps stabs but they can with cherry stab

as for taihao someone needs to contact them

then there is also matias.

This project stalled because at the time the only option looked like harvesting caps or SP. Even if the PCB was made, there wouldn't be options for keycaps. This obviously has changed so in hindsight, it looks like we were stalling for no reason.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:14:37 »
I'm still here to help with the PCB build, just in case.

So, this project came back to live?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 18:44:42 »
I'm not actually sure haha. I haven't personally worked on anything yet but I wouldn't mind it. I think it's a good time to reboot though because Matias will have replacement keycaps sometime soon.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 21:47:16 »
kurplop already made ergplop with alps matias :p
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 04:52:06 »

Done  ;)

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #238 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 05:29:45 »

Front

Back

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 08:59:10 »
I would recommend adding support for MX switches on the same PCB.

You forgot diodes!

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 09:24:01 »
dunno what are you talking about diodes are there ;) , as for mx if we go that way we can only have one layout be it winkey or winkeyles you cant have both of them if i add mx switches, and if so i would need to make more space between function row and number row for teensy to fit or i can move it somewhere around arrow keys.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #241 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 10:11:12 »
Ah yes, I see the diodes, must have been blind last time.

As for the MX, I don't see why you can't fit WK and WKL on the same PCB, these options are there on the Phantom and the GH60

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #242 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 10:25:05 »
Well that's true if you have only mx board or alps board, as you can see i have both wk/wkl covered on this one but now if i wanted to add mx switches there's no way in hell doing that without making shorts all over the place.

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 01:16:58 »
Ok a little update, after sitting down and checking every switch placement i'm happy to say that mx/alps pcb is doable with wk/wkl layout, now i just need to redo the whole pcb.....

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #244 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 01:54:02 »
Ok a little update, after sitting down and checking every switch placement i'm happy to say that mx/alps pcb is doable with wk/wkl layout, now i just need to redo the whole pcb.....

Sorry and yeay :P

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 02:06:50 »
this is how it looks for alt key i rotated mx switches by 180°

i also changed pad 1 position from Y - 5.08 to Y - 4.7625 and i don't think that's going to make any difference that way you get something like this

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 09:05:38 »
That was quick skrsh3r :D

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 15:36:57 »
That was quick skrsh3r :D
yup
really fast
awesome work man!

any chance to add both ground planes?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 15:38:42 by agodinhost »

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #248 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 15:44:06 »
Well i don't its needed but i can do that, i just have alot of work in next 1-2 weeks so when i'm done with that i can finish this.
As for the files i can upload them but be aware the way i do it teensy pins are still not connected to rows and cols in schematic, that way i can test best way to connect them and when i'm dome with testing i just edit my schematic to that load a new netlist and route teensy pins to their cols and row, thats the easiest way for me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 16:32:16 by skrsh3r »

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 15:48:56 »
Well i don't its needed but i can do that, i just have alot of for in next 1-2 weeks so when i'm done with that i can finish this.
Could you provide the Kicad files?
I saw that the case holes are missing too.
 :)