Author Topic: [GB] Polaris - Shipping  (Read 100067 times)

Offline Brez1623

Re: [GB] Polaris - Shipping
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 19:55:56 »
i'm curious on the typing experience... is there any? it looks really firm from all the foam in between the plate/pcb and the bottom of the case (probably can remove the foam but not sure how it will affect the sound).

Taeha Types streamed his build and has a typing test at the end you could check out to see how the typing experience is. The vod should still be on twitch or his youtube channel

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #401 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 20:05:09 »
i'm curious on the typing experience... is there any? it looks really firm from all the foam in between the plate/pcb and the bottom of the case (probably can remove the foam but not sure how it will affect the sound).

Putting the foam in the case and between the plate and PCB definitely firms up the experience. It will give slightly, but if you want the experience to be more flexible, I would suggest leaving the foam out (although I LOVE the sound with the foam)
Fan of Duck keyboards? Join our Discord server! https://discord.gg/SHcePf

Offline freespam

« Reply #402 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 00:06:50 »

Putting the foam in the case and between the plate and PCB definitely firms up the experience. It will give slightly, but if you want the experience to be more flexible, I would suggest leaving the foam out (although I LOVE the sound with the foam)

How much does the foam change the sound?

Offline Tekniqs

« Reply #403 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 02:24:35 »

watch nathan's build video. he tries it out with and without foam and without the bottom weight for some reason lol

Offline donkey

« Reply #404 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 11:32:47 »

IMO plate foam reduces noise and variations. Case foam reduces reverb and volume. So I use plate foam in all of my board but case foam is not used unless I need to reduce sound or switches used doesn't sound great. For example, a case foam is used in my Tealios board but not in my Cream board.

My current plan is to go with Tealios in the full-brass plate 'gentlemen' build using both foams. I also ordered an FR-4 half-plate and spare PCB for the 'flex and clacks' build with which I'll be using Black Inks and no foams.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2020, 11:48:32 by donkey »

Offline Novafish

« Reply #405 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 21:30:35 »
tfw people with poly plates get theirs before yours with a brass one   :(

Offline freespam

« Reply #406 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 22:56:51 »

IMO plate foam reduces noise and variations. Case foam reduces reverb and volume. So I use plate foam in all of my board but case foam is not used unless I need to reduce sound or switches used doesn't sound great. For example, a case foam is used in my Tealios board but not in my Cream board.

My current plan is to go with Tealios in the full-brass plate 'gentlemen' build using both foams. I also ordered an FR-4 half-plate and spare PCB for the 'flex and clacks' build with which I'll be using Black Inks and no foams.

That makes sense.  I'm going for an ultra quiet build so I'll probably be using both pieces of foam and zilents.

Offline freespam

« Reply #407 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 23:07:28 »
tfw people with poly plates get theirs before yours with a brass one   :(

I ordered brass and just got my shipping notification  :)...I guess they're still working through it.  Hope you get yours soon.

Offline ai03

• Keyboard addict
    • My website
« Reply #408 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:26:50 »
Quick status update:

• FR4 ETA that the factory gave is end of this month, although I am not too sure about it being met. Likely sometime in April due to the manpower shortages going on at the factories.
  • Poly plates are starting to ship out along with the brass plate units.
  • Poly cases are finishing up the last bits of production that didn't complete before the chaos hit.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #409 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:52:30 »
I am a little out of the loop; is there an ETA on the european shipping ban? No stress if there isn't.

Offline ai03

• Keyboard addict
    • My website
« Reply #410 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:53:25 »
I am a little out of the loop; is there an ETA on the european shipping ban? No stress if there isn't.

So far I haven't heard anything from KBDfans regarding an end date; will post here if I hear of it in the future.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #411 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:55:08 »
Appreciate the update.
Going by the current build VODs, the sound dampening works wonders. Regardless of when it arrives I will be looking forward to the build:thumb:

Offline Emir

• Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #412 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:00:52 »

Built, but a bit disappointed. I got the PC Half plate, and originally built it without foam because I dislike foaming boards. Felt and sounded great...
... Apart from the homerow and the row beneath it. It kept hitting the bottom of the case, I assume it is because the half pc plate isn't enough to support the rows.

Had to foam the bottom, it's still OK but I much prefered it without foam.

Offline freespam

« Reply #413 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 23:40:35 »
Appreciate the update.
Going by the current build VODs, the sound dampening works wonders. Regardless of when it arrives I will be looking forward to the build:thumb:

My wait is over :D

I wanted a quiet daily driver for work and built mine with both foam dampeners, polycarb plate (forgot I ordered an extra plate along with brass), and silent switches.  I love it!!!  It sounds clean without the reverb my other boards have...by far my quietest board among many silent builds.

Offline donkey

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 12:07:30 »
... Apart from the homerow and the row beneath it. It kept hitting the bottom of the case, I assume it is because the half pc plate isn't enough to support the rows.

Hmm. I guess my FR-4 half-plate will have similar problems. I'm going to:

1. Add a layer of paper to prevent shorting.
2. Covering the slit with duct tape with some toothpicks as support if needed. 
3. If nothing works, use epoxy to fill in the slit and add support columns to make up for PCB being too thin.

UPDATE: Simplest compromise solution may be to cut up the case foam so only the part that actually touches the case will have foam under it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2020, 12:10:14 by donkey »

Offline Emir

• Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #415 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 13:49:48 »

3. If nothing works, use epoxy to fill in the slit and add support columns to make up for PCB being too thin.

UPDATE: Simplest compromise solution may be to cut up the case foam so only the part that actually touches the case will have foam under it.

It doesn't short when it hits the bottom of the case, it's just very harsh and sounds horrible. A piece of paper won't remove that.

I didn't cover anything with duct tape, I just like to enjoy boards like they are, which is also why I didn't want to foam. :P

Regarding FR-4, it's a lot sturdier than PC, maybe you won't have the issue at all.

« Reply #416 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 14:18:41 »
Speaking of FR4, is there any update on the process?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #417 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 18:32:10 »

You can also double-sided tape foam (or anything, a thin and dense rubber mat would be nice too I bet) to the underside of the PCB, pretty common on old Korean boards.
| Flickr | Current: GSKT-00/JaneV2CE/No2r1/Whale/Pro1/356mini/1390120/F107/3101

Offline donkey

« Reply #418 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 22:36:39 »
Cool. I'll try that also. Thx.