Author Topic: [IC] unnamed | a simple TKL (Colors Finalized)  (Read 17595 times)

Offline im_hide

• dont think
[IC] unnamed | a simple TKL (Colors Finalized)
« on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 02:41:40 »
PROJECT IS ON HOLD

Due to unforeseen issues, I'll be delaying this project indefinitely. I just can't make this work right now.

unnamed: a simple tenkeyless designed by im hide

This design is a product of my distaste for flamboyant angles and edgy design, favoring simple angles and subdued looks. Drawing inspiration from multiple sources, unnamed was born to satisfy my wants and needs in a keyboard.

The goal of this interest check is to see whether or not people even share my views on case design, and to receive constructive feedback to put into future designs. A secondary goal would be to attract the interest of prospective vendors for a bit of guidance running a group buy, else I'll be running this one on my own as a small quantity.

GMK Cafe on e-white

info
  • 7 degree typing angle
  • Top mount
  • Tenkeyless or WKL layout
  • 6063 Aluminum case
  • Matte Brass weight
  • Matte Brass or polycarbonate plate
  • $450 USD + paypal fee + shipping (Only an estimate as of now, pricing subject to manufacturer quote, and I definitely want to make this as affordable as possible)
  • Kit will include: Case, Plate, PCB, and Hex keys for assembly
  • PCB: Likely the h87a from hineybush

colors

• E-White
  • E-Black

to-do

sorted by priority (highest to lowest)

• Bottom redesign/facelift(ver2?)
  • Prototype

more renders

More to come! Leave keycap suggestions in a reply for a render and I'll add them to a queue.

More

updates

• 8/27 | Finished the universal plate layout (Now supports WKL and ISO!) as well as the WKL top. Now on to making summore renders since the old model used a stainless weight.
  • 8/28 | Bottom fascia redesign is done. Only thing left to do is renders, and then order prototype at the end of September.
  • 10/11 | Colors are finalized (Black and White, I figure it's only symbolic to do that since it's my first launch) 40 Units will be available. Black brass hardware similar to Polaris is the goal (Black and gold would be too expensive to pull off so I went with black) Prototype will be ordered sometime in the coming days.

closing

Thank you all so much for taking the time to check out my IC, I hope people share my enthusiasm for simple looks and I'll be glad to hear all of your feedback!

Make sure to join my discord to stay up to date: https://discord.gg/bQuHp4x

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 October 2019, 01:45:19 by im_hide »

Offline im_hide

• dont think
Re: [IC] unnamed | a simple TKL
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 02:42:29 »
reserved

Offline demonahz

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 02:49:03 »
looking good so far

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 02:52:07 »
I dig it. Wish more boards went easy on the logos and weird curves.

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC] unnamed | a simple TKL
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:03:27 »
OP: “Hey guys let me know what you think of this case design.”
Also OP, to himself: Let’s add some shadow and increase the black level so that nobody can clearly make out what the side profile looks like.

Cool story bro.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:05:08 by nguyenhimself »

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:05:25 »
OP: “Hey guys let me know what you think of this case design.”
Also OP, thinking to himself: Let’s add some shadow and increase the black level so that nobody can clearly make out what the side profile looks like.

Cool story bro.

noted, although there is a render with a very visible side profile.

edit: added another brighter side render with GMK Hammerhead which should very easily convey the profile.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:19:04 by im_hide »

Offline SUB01

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:13:27 »
Looks great! But as always the price would make or break this. At 400~500 you are competing with a lot of other boards. The lower 400s or higher 300s would put you above the rest of the pack though.

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:16:28 »
Looks great! But as always the price would make or break this. At 400~500 you are competing with a lot of other boards. The lower 400s or higher 300s would put you above the rest of the pack though.

For right now, this is just an extreme estimate. I'd rather estimate way over what it'd actually cost than give an estimate way too low and set the false pretense that this is some magical end-game killer. If I was looking at this IC from an outside perspective and saw that it was marked as 300 shipped, and then when the group buy rolls around it costs 450, I'd be extremely disappointed.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:18:09 by im_hide »

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:27:43 »
Really nice simple design!

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:35:21 »
I like the idea and have some suggestions:
- Option for WKL layout. It's not just for the cool look, it's actually a must for Cherry OG keycaps user (myself included)
- Side profile looks chunky and actually quite impractical. It's the same issue with boards like the TX87/84 series as they don't have gripping points on the side.
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline victorpre

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 04:18:38 »
Looking forward to see a polycarb WKL version!

Offline SUB01

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 04:51:50 »

For right now, this is just an extreme estimate. I'd rather estimate way over what it'd actually cost than give an estimate way too low and set the false pretense that this is some magical end-game killer. If I was looking at this IC from an outside perspective and saw that it was marked as 300 shipped, and then when the group buy rolls around it costs 450, I'd be extremely disappointed.

Thats a fair arguement. I'm excited to see where this project will lead!

Offline vidoardes

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 05:18:37 »
Colour me interested if the plate / board supports ISO. I have a WASD v2, would like something similar but in premium materials so this would be right up my alley.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 05:26:41 »
Here are a couple of suggestions:
I would like to see aluminum and maybe polycarbonate for the typing experience. Personally, from the ones I've tried the brass plates don't feel that great imo and are kinda expensive.
As for the bottom cover, I think having the carbon fiber looks really cool, but only on certain color schemes. For example, carbon fiber on a black case probably will look really sleek and stealthy. However, I think that carbon fiber plate would look really jarring against something like green or purple especially because you already have a silver color with the back weight. What I think would look better is if you replaced the stainless steel weight with carbon fiber, or make the bottom cover also out of stainless steel. This way you are both unifying the color schemes and setting this board apart from the jane. I still think the overall design looks very classy.

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 07:54:10 »
Looking forward to see a polycarb WKL version!

I don't think polycarbonate is feasible with the weight design of this version. However, that doesn't mean I'm opposed to doing a polycarb version. This case was desgined with the strength of aluminum in mind, but with a moderate redesign of the weight it would definitely be possible to make a polycarb version. I might consider doing a separate run for it in the future.

Here are a couple of suggestions:
I would like to see aluminum and maybe polycarbonate for the typing experience. Personally, from the ones I've tried the brass plates don't feel that great imo and are kinda expensive.
As for the bottom cover, I think having the carbon fiber looks really cool, but only on certain color schemes. For example, carbon fiber on a black case probably will look really sleek and stealthy. However, I think that carbon fiber plate would look really jarring against something like green or purple especially because you already have a silver color with the back weight. What I think would look better is if you replaced the stainless steel weight with carbon fiber, or make the bottom cover also out of stainless steel. This way you are both unifying the color schemes and setting this board apart from the jane. I still think the overall design looks very classy.

Aluminum might be a good substitute for stainless if I'm looking to cut back on price a bit. I don't have much interest in running a brass plate with this design since it's mostly faded mixed with neutral colors. Another plate material I'd like to run is FR4 (Fiberglass) potentially mimicking the plate material selection of Polaris, less brass. As for the other design changes you mentioned, most of them are extremely subjective, but not without warrant. In my opinion mixing the neutral colors of silver and black with a color such as dark forest green or navy doesn't clash, and in fact I think some diversity is needed in materials. Asking some of my friends which design they preferred (full stainless vs mixed carbon and stainless) they almost unanimously preferred the carbon fiber bottom. I think what I have now strikes a good balance between the two. I also think there are other features of unnamed that set it apart from Jane and, to be frank, yuktsi just did it right and there's no point trying to improve on it.

I like the idea and have some suggestions:
- Option for WKL layout. It's not just for the cool look, it's actually a must for Cherry OG keycaps user (myself included)
- Side profile looks chunky and actually quite impractical. It's the same issue with boards like the TX87/84 series as they don't have gripping points on the side.

WKL is definitely something I understood is a functional thing and not just aesthetic. I definitely want to give people the option of a WKL layout if they so desire. As for the side profile, I'd have to disagree. Just because most modern keyboards have massive undercuts to make moving easier, that doesn't mean it's impossible or even noticeably more difficult to move a keyboard without them. On top of that, the 35 degree angle in the back makes it easier with a little bit of practice than say a U80-A. All that's really required is a bit of technique.

Colour me interested if the plate / board supports ISO. I have a WASD v2, would like something similar but in premium materials so this would be right up my alley.

Will support ISO. AFAIK the h87a supports ISO as well.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:30:16 »
I'll be following this IC and possible GB. Even when I'm short of cash when this finally drops (so many ordered caps and followed ICs), I'll wish this gig good luck!

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:21:22 »
This is basically the Jane V2. Your weight is like identical.

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:26:18 »
This is basically the Jane V2. Your weight is like identical.

Just checked Nathan Kim's video to make sure I wasn't crazy but mine is actually a weight that slots into the case like this

and the carbon fiber piece serves to hide the screw holes from the bottom of the case that hold the weight in.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:35:41 »
Though this isn't for me, it's a nice design.  I for one can't stand in your face branding.  Keep up the good work.

Offline badboy731

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:56:54 »
Looks good! Will be following
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline vidoardes

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:07:39 »
Will support ISO. AFAIK the h87a supports ISO as well.

That's great news! Although most board support it, a lot of builds are (understandably) going for a fixed plate layout which rules out ISO most of the time. This will make it tough to choose between TKL and 65%!

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:26:20 »
Option for WKL and a fixed plate and I'm in.

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:27:33 »
I gotta say this just looks way too similar to a Jane v2. The backweight, despite differing mounting/size, is still aesthetically nearly identical to the Jane back weight. The bottom plate is also damn near the same, even with the cut out corners for bump-ons. Might wanna take this one back to the drawing board.

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:31:24 »
I gotta say this just looks way too similar to a Jane v2. The backweight, despite differing mounting/size, is still aesthetically nearly identical to the Jane back weight. The bottom plate is also damn near the same, even with the cut out corners for bump-ons. Might wanna take this one back to the drawing board.

The weight is really functional to the design because of how I like to angle the backs of my cases. However I've already discussed with Dixie and we've come to the consensus that both the weight and bottom plate together are just way out of line. I've scrapped the carbon piece and am revising the design to more fit the case.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2019, 12:07:10 by im_hide »

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:45:44 »
I might like this if I could actually see the case design. Also, the plain and flat bottom with two screw holes leaves a lot to be desired. It's just kinda meh.

Some standard bump on sized holes on the bottom for easy replacement with the 3m type that just about every tkl uses would be a better option.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 11:08:29 »
I agree with the statement above regarding the side profile having something to grip - the "wedge" without a ledge to grab onto isn't too nice in my opinion. For the weight - I personally like the look of sandblasted brass (possibly clear coated to prevent tarnishing) compared to shiny finishes like PVD or stainless. Also, the price stated may be a bit high in the current market - the recent kbd8x at $300 is similar as a basic top mount tkl. With your simplified design, a cheaper price point would be appealing as it doesn't look like it would be overly complex to machine.

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 11:12:22 »
I agree with the statement above regarding the side profile having something to grip - the "wedge" without a ledge to grab onto isn't too nice in my opinion. For the weight - I personally like the look of sandblasted brass (possibly clear coated to prevent tarnishing) compared to shiny finishes like PVD or stainless. Also, the price stated may be a bit high in the current market - the recent kbd8x at $300 is similar as a basic top mount tkl. With your simplified design, a cheaper price point would be appealing as it doesn't look like it would be overly complex to machine.

I agree, will update pricing.

Offline bransdon

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 11:42:45 »
interested for sure!

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 11:51:28 »
Left or Centered usb ?

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 12:19:32 »
Left or Centered usb ?

PCB: TBD (case is currently designed around the h87a, so I'd like to speak with hiney about getting some manufactured for this)

Offline Grumpz

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 12:55:11 »
Would love to see something on the bottom of the chassis. Something that people can remember or maybe just some cuts to make it a little more distinctive.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 17:48:06 »
Any Jane's avail

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 17:54:15 »
This is exactly what I'm looking for, definitely interested.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 20:47:42 »
meh, kinda average

new runner makes me wary as always

we shall see
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 22:57:17 »
I like it, but it do need a name.

Also alps pcb pls
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2019, 11:06:06 by Venatorious »

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 04:01:26 »
Might as well suggest a plate just in case I accumulate enough money: brass full plate!

Since the design is simple and elegant, will the post-GB production be relatively short?

Offline jaang

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 16:16:40 »
Will keep my eye on this, interested in WKL options as well.

Offline SuperUltra

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 17:19:42 »
I like TKL so I'm interested in this. GBs for TKL boards seem rare to me.

Offline ber2

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 19:44:18 »
 :thumb:

Offline itsamemarius

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 21:29:45 »
Very interested!

Offline spyruf

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 22:16:17 »
I would be interested in a silver anode version.

Offline ryou965

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 10:27:05 »
Very interested. Would love to see more color options

Offline meIIow

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 12:17:08 »
Would be in for a wkl version. Also would be interested in a dark red/burgundy color!

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 16:26:31 »
Not interested in TKL's, but SMPL is a good name

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 21:39:46 »
Hey all! Not dead in case anyone was wondering, just been busy with the college semester starting and trying to fix up some stuff with the design before making a huge update. I do wanna take some time and address a few suggestions in the meantime. A couple things: Universal plate design is finished, WKL blocker top design is also finished.

Regarding the name: It started off as a placeholder but after toying with other names, it just kind of stuck. So yes, unnamed IS the name. The whole idea behind the name is to not have any stupid logos or writing that's visible anywhere on the board during use and I think nothing describes that better than unnamed.

Universal plate is done. I'm unsure at this time if I should make a fixed plate specifically for WKL/Tsangan layout. I do like the idea of having a more "solid" plate where there's less negative space, but I don't like the nightmare of basically doubling the number of options for plates, especially since it's looking like I'm going to be running this group buy myself, but I'm completely open to open sourcing the plate files post-GB for anyone who wants to custom order a plate tailored to their own liking.

Plate materials I've decided on:
  • Polycarb
  • Brass

Also due to people's preference towards brass over stainless, I'm fairly confident in saying that I'll be switching to a matte (finish undecided still) brass weight. Price is looking to be around 350-400 dollars right now, but I'm still emailing manufacturers and getting quotes.

Once I have quotes from a few manufacturers I like, I'll probably order a (WKL) prototype sometime around the end of September and we'll go from there. If you have any other questions, the quickest way to reach me is on discord:

Code: [Select]
im hide#0771
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 August 2019, 23:38:28 by im_hide »

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 21:53:25 »
I like it, but it do need a name.

Also alps pcb pls

It'd be cool to support alps, but it'd be extremely ambitious for my first run. We'll see in the future.

Would love to see something on the bottom of the chassis. Something that people can remember or maybe just some cuts to make it a little more distinctive.

I'm exploring options right now. I definitely vibe with the people who say the bottom leaves a lot to be desired and I'm actively brainstorming new ideas on paper.

Might as well suggest a plate just in case I accumulate enough money: brass full plate!

Since the design is simple and elegant, will the post-GB production be relatively short?

I'm gonna be quite frank with this one: I've no clue at this point. I'm still talking with manufacturers, but I'll try to keep everyone updated with what's going on.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 00:02:10 »
It'd be cool to support alps, but it'd be extremely ambitious for my first run. We'll see in the future.

Could case only be an option then? 

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 09:57:08 »

Could case only be an option then? 

Sure, I'm not opposed to it. Again though, you'll need to use the plate files to retrofit alps into it if you wish to use an alps PCB such as the h87alps.

Offline im_hide

• dont think
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 18:45:20 »
Some renders of what I've been working on:

I've been toying with the idea of an inverted logo kind of like kyuu or kira boards, where instead of the weight being the logo insert, the bottom of the case is the "insert" and a brass fascia is used to provide the contrast.

Let me know your thoughts!

Offline vidoardes

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 03:15:03 »
Looks good! I'm a fan of the logo too, I like the inverted look, although the screw holes on the bottom are a little in your face; would it be possible to attach from the inside? I assume that's what most customs do to achieve a cleaner look
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2019, 03:23:50 by vidoardes »