Author Topic: What was your first keyboard?  (Read 43021 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
What was your first keyboard?
« on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 20:03:54 »
Just wondering what were y'alls first keyboard you've purchased?

My Antek (i forgot the brands name) RGB membrane bluetooth gaming keyboard was my first purchase. Then, i bought the K63 in which i have today.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: What was your first keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 06:44:10 »
Honestly I don't remember what switch it was, but it was an enhanced layout branded "PCs Limited" keyboard (precursor to Dell).

In 1986 a keyboard was a peripheral that was an extra-price line item when you ordered your computer. That PCs Ltd 80286 system with 1 MB of RAM and a 10 MB hard drive cost me around $2800, not including a printer.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 06:50:40 »
i guess the 1st keyboard i ever bought was a Logitech K120 and for my 1st(s) real keyboards were a lot of broken ibm and unicomp 122. Still got 2/4 to fix.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline shadowku

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 07:59:24 »
I used whatever keyboard my dad gave me when I was in high school. During my internship while in university I became really interested in PC hardware and got a Logitech G110. This was in 2010 when the coolest keyboard in stores was the G19.
I discovered "mechanical" keyboards about a month later and got a Das Keyboard with browns.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Trmi8120

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:07:02 »
Think it was a thinkpad. It could have been something different, but I remember a red nipple.

In terms of non-laptop keyboards it’s most likely a cheap rubber dome board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:09:51 by Trmi8120 »
Keyboard

Offline Riverman

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 11:44:16 »
My first one was an Apple Extended Keyboard II, way back in 1990 or so.  I still have it!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 12:07:36 »
Think it was a thinkpad. It could have been something different, but I remember a red nipple.

In terms of non-laptop keyboards it’s most likely a cheap rubber dome board.

Nipple mouse  :blank:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 12:14:25 »
First keyboard: Tomy's Tutor Typer
First I bought: Amiga 500, with Mitsumi KPR type (conductive rubber foot on single membrane sheet)
🍉

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 12:23:42 »
First keyboard: Tomy's Tutor Typer
First I bought: Amiga 500, with Mitsumi KPR type (conductive rubber foot on single membrane sheet)

Can you show me what that looks like

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 13:02:57 »
Your so funny. The link goes to pictures of my keyboard taken apart.
🍉

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 15:21:12 »
Your so funny. The link goes to pictures of my keyboard taken apart.

D:

Offline rora

• Summitcables
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 15:43:11 »
Pok3r with mx browns and hhkb

bought them around 2015 when i sold csgo skins
Heavensward

Matrix 8x V2.0 Blue | Matrix 8x V2.0 Tiffany Blue | LZ SE MP | TGR Jane V2 Blue Grey | TGR Jane V2 Pink | TGR Jane V2 CE | Keycult No2, Rev1 | Keycult No2, Rev1 | TGR 910 CE | TGRxSinga Unikorn | Orion V3 | Xeno | Mira SE | Kmac Happy | Kyuu | QXP | LZ CLS H | Poly Singa | TXCP | E6V2 FE

Offline unstellar

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 23:17:35 »
Motospeed CK104 with outemu blues that I got in 2016. For $50 it was really good and served me well for years

Offline egstad

• EGSTAD.COM
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 23:47:14 »
My first keeb was a TADA68 with Cherry MX Browns with a low profile aluminum case. Loved that keeb!

Offline wmcbrine

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 03:11:01 »
The first keyboard I ever bought was this masterpiece:

But the first keyboard I ever used was one of these:

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 03:44:30 »
My first board was this hand-wired MA42.

Here's a build log. Brings back memories.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline vegs

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 03:56:04 »
Corsair K60 :)) That membrane function row was terrible
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 04:57:57 »
The first keyboard I purchased was a wireless Logitech K400. (Lame, but I wanted a wireless keyboard for my first computer I built) My first mech was a super dirty Apple M0116 with orange Alps, but that was gifted to me. My first mech that I purchased was a Rev 3 Plank I think? I built it with harvested razer greens that I got for super cheap here. I still have that board!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 05:11:23 »

Sinclair_ZX81_keyboard
Wow, those were bad, like world renowned as one of the worst keyboards ever made kind of bad.
On the other hand, the only way to go was up.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 07:21:11 »

Show Image

But the first keyboard I ever used was one of these:

[img width=600 height=256]http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/trs80mod1.jpg[/img

ZX81 keyboard? I salute you sir. That must be painful to type on.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 10:26:36 »
My first keyboard was a Apple G3 Bondy blue when I was kid.

I still find the layout interesting with arrows clusters on the bottom of Return etc. But this keyboard died in like 2 years, some rubber dome was cutted on important keys and I replaced it with a Macally.
I still have the keyboard, I have washed the keycaps that I find pretty cool but don’t know how to adapt on a mech. Also the keys are very sticky if you don’t push them on the center and I hate to type on it.

After my Alienware M17xR2 notebook keyboard that I really love, I got a real keyboard : The typematrix 2030.

After 4 years of use I still find that this is the best layout that I have used with Centered Return and Backspace key.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 11:56:31 »
My first keyboard was a Apple G3 Bondy blue when I was kid.

Show Image

I still find the layout interesting with arrows clusters on the bottom of Return etc. But this keyboard died in like 2 years, some rubber dome was cutted on important keys and I replaced it with a Macally.
I still have the keyboard, I have washed the keycaps that I find pretty cool but don’t know how to adapt on a mech. Also the keys are very sticky if you don’t push them on the center and I hate to type on it.

After my Alienware M17xR2 notebook keyboard that I really love, I got a real keyboard : The typematrix 2030.
Show Image

After 4 years of use I still find that this is the best layout that I have used with Centered Return and Backspace key.

Edit: i have now recieved a new keyboard for my ipad. It feels awful to type on but it will work for now. Its soft too and will tackle any spills.

I think it has the same mechanism as LGR's peanut butter proof keyboard, because i'm pretty sure you can clean it off of this thing.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 12:50:05 »
I got a rubber dome with my first computer, that died when I rage quit a game and thumped it popping the stem through the spacebar showering myself in keys.  It was replaced by a brushed aluminium scissor switch board which saw me through uni but I was pleased to replace it with a nice Cherry rubber dome with Tux keys (a Christmas present)  When the printed legends faded I found myself here looking for replacement keycaps and instead bought my first mech, a broken Ducky, which I fixed and still use.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline cheetodust

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 13:20:04 »
I think the very first standalone keyboard I ever bought was a terrible Brookstone silicone thing I bought for my 2nd gen iPad.  Before that I had a standard issue Dell keeb that came with the comp I used in college, but I didn't buy that one.

My first mechanical board was a Tada 68 with aluminum case and Gateron blacks. 

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 14:04:40 »
Niz Plum 87. Still use it and i still love it like in the first days

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 15:52:46 »
First mech board I got as an adult was a Filco Yellow Edition w/ browns.

Yellow and brown hehe poopoo peepee, nah but it was a good board.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 18:45:08 »
First keyboard ever used was what ever Apple supplied to schools back around '86 when I had typing classes in First Grade,first owned keyboard was the one in the Apple ][e I got from my cousin,first keyboard I ever built was a Levinson from Keeb.io,it was way too small,so second board was my current BFO-9000.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 07:45:15 »
First keyboard ever used was what ever Apple supplied to schools back around '86 when I had typing classes in First Grade,first owned keyboard was the one in the Apple ][e I got from my cousin,first keyboard I ever built was a Levinson from Keeb.io,it was way too small,so second board was my current BFO-9000.

Grade kids don't understand alps, but alps are glorious!

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 15:49:37 »
Model F or clone.

Offline carlanthony

• DIVINIKEY INC.
    • Divinikey Inc
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 02:08:22 »
My first keyboard was a Razer Black Widow Stealth. I got it when I was gifted my first PC - a Frankenstein, jury-rigged HP work station with a gtx770. Within a year, that keyboard broke down and Razer generously replaced it with their latest flag ship at the time which has since been relegated to my office keyboard.

Now I am using a Ducky One 2 Mini with Cherry MX Browns. I had just ordered my KBDfans KBD67 MKii last week, so just waiting on that to really get my feet wet in this hobby :).

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 09:02:53 »
My first keyboard was a Razer Black Widow Stealth. I got it when I was gifted my first PC - a Frankenstein, jury-rigged HP work station with a gtx770. Within a year, that keyboard broke down and Razer generously replaced it with their latest flag ship at the time which has since been relegated to my office keyboard.

Now I am using a Ducky One 2 Mini with Cherry MX Browns. I had just ordered my KBDfans KBD67 MKii last week, so just waiting on that to really get my feet wet in this hobby :).

Wow, cool story

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 12:28:22 »
My very first keyboard I remember using was a gigantic monstrosity, that at the time I thought all keyboards were like, as this was the early 90's. looking at pictures of myself from that age, I found out that it was a Model M on a PS/2 30. I remember using it to play Zone 66 a dos game that I was able to ask my parents for from Walmart, I thought it's cover art on the box looked so cool.

My father installed it, and me with my 4 year old brain knew that if I pressed the right keys in the right order, I'd get a game out of it, since I didn't yet know how to read.

I've since come back to them as the best keyboards, and the nostalgia helps that feeling out alot too.

My very first keyboard I bought was a Ducky Shine 3 yellow around 2015, I loved it from the moment I plugged it in, and still type on it when I can. (It's currently in my closet, as I'm out of computers to connect it to.)

It's got Cherry MX blues, and now that I know what I do about my childhood, I learned to love the click because the keyboard back then clicked, I'm certain of it. So to this day, for me, the clickier the keyboard the better.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 January 2020, 20:04:19 by jacethesaltsculptor »

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline pobx

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 06:54:20 »
 My first computer was a Tatung Einstein a Z80 based machine with a lovely clacky keyboard.
According to deskthority it had these bad boys in which were quite like Alps apparently
https://deskthority.net/wiki/General_Instrument_Series_S950

Then Amiga with mitsumis
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Mitsumi_KPR_Type

Then when I bought my own PC I got the Microsoft Natural Pro which is just rubber dome, but the stems and housings for the keycaps gave it a very nice thock sound for a dome keyboard.

Then a Logitech DiNovo Edge which has lasted well over ten years, but is still a low profile scissor/dome board.

I recently just got an Alt with Kailh Speed Silvers and Samurai Redsun keycaps
And I'm in a groupbuy for the MelGeek Ember....

Offline maurov

• secretly a dog with a keyboard
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 10:14:42 »
My first mech was a razer blackwidow 2014. i used that for around two years. Since then i have moved on to a gmmk with khail box pale blues and am now in the process of looking for a kb with blue alps that is in good condition
.. / .-- .- -. - / -- --- .-. . / .- -- -... . .-. / .- .-.. .--. ...

Offline Ledtithe

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 00:19:23 »
A dell keyboard my dad got me for Christmas...

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 07:39:35 »
First mech was a Quickfire Rapid with MX browns that I got for $40 brand new. Lasted me 4 years before I even got into the hobby. Great boards.

Offline digitvoid

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 09:30:46 »
Logitech Wave keyboard, then the gaming one with the screen in it, then a g710+ with browns.

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 10:26:01 »
It might have been one of those Compaq branded keyboards back in the day and this one I remember using from Gateway back when that company was still producing desktops and other peripherals en masse. I still remember the days of using Windows 98 and Windows XP respectively. After that, it was whatever stock keyboard that came with those desktops, like with HP and Dell, and then eventually laptop keyboards. In middle school, I did also get to use some of the IBM ThinkPads as well and their keyboards, but can't exactly remember what they felt like.

As with first mechanical keyboard, that's easy. It was the Corsair Strafe that I couldn't stand at the time that my old boss gave me at work. It failed within 8-9 months after I handed it over to my coworker then. Yeah, took me a while to warm up to mechanical keyboards after that experience but I'm glad that I kept an open mind and have been converted since.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2020, 10:30:50 by mkkeyboardvigilante »
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline bbqkimchi

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 12:52:35 »
White HHKB Pro 2 w/ blank keycaps. The backspace location got me looking for more boards... now I have ten mechs with extra keycaps, cables and deskmats to match. The addiction is real.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 16:24:20 »
Poker 2 in a low profile aluminum case in 2013. It was a pretty big deal for me then. You don't see ANSI 60%, exposed switches, DCS keycaps, funky font, or unclipped stabilizers very often now.

233005-0233007-1

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 07:13:03 »

Sinclair_ZX81_keyboard
Wow, those were bad, like world renowned as one of the worst keyboards ever made kind of bad.

the devils keeb i guess?

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:51:06 »
My first board was a Quickfire Rapid with MX Blues. I still miss that board, honestly.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 12:06:06 »
My first board was a Quickfire Rapid with MX Blues. I still miss that board, honestly.

I wish for MX blues. What happened to it. :(

Offline mode

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 12:33:25 »
Amstrad pcw spring over membrane.

The ping and rattle was unforgettably ****.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 13:33:17 »
First mech was a Quickfire Rapid with MX browns that I got for $40 brand new. Lasted me 4 years before I even got into the hobby. Great boards.

Those Quickfires are nice boards for what they are. I have one with MX Blues.

The first KB I purchased was probably some random garbage dome at Goodwill for a few bucks.

The first KB we owned was whatever came with our old Mac Performa, which was a hand-me-down. Probably had domes.

No idea what my first mechanical KB was. I used to get a lot of old keyboards for free once I got into computers but was still keyboard agnostic/ignorant/oblivious. My parents made me donate most of them before that ever changed, so I may have given away some treasures.

The first mechanical keyboard I ever purchased was a Corsair K70 Vengeance with Cherry MX Red switches. I still use that keyboard with my gaming rig.

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 15:31:18 »

They are satisfying to type on, that's for sure. I sold it when I got a new board. Definitely wish I kept it - it was the grey/black one.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 21:19:25 »
They are satisfying to type on, that's for sure. I sold it when I got a new board. Definitely wish I kept it - it was the grey/black one.

I've been weighing whether or not to sell my Ducky, but I've decided after reading this, it was my first adult Mechanical keyboard, I'm going to keep it and find a use for it. Even if it sits for awhile.

Too much nostalgia in it, and it really still is a joy to type on, it has Cherry blues too.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline wmcbrine

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 23:02:17 »

Sinclair_ZX81_keyboard
It did give one an appreciation for the importance of keyboards. Unfortunately, I ended up trying to replace it on the cheap (replacement keyboards were a popular accessory for the ZX81, but a bit expensive for me as a kid), using a TI-99/4A keyboard that I got at Radio Shack (they sold the keyboards, alone, for a brief period after TI pulled out of the home computer market) and an article in a magazine. I got the keyboard wired up, but accidentally killed the computer in the process.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 January 2020, 17:48:56 by wmcbrine »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 12:08:06 »

What switches are in your K63? Reds? My best friend's got one with Cherry MX Reds, his first mechanical I believe. He got the Corsair itch from me. I recently modded a K65 with Kailh Box Navies, and replaced the wimpy mini usb connector with a GX12 aviator connector and custom cable, if you want to see my thread about it.

Once I replace the switches in any of my Cherry MX Blue boards with box thick clicks (maybe my Quickfire Rapid, coincidentally), I could maybe send you a set of MX Blues. I already have a bag full of reds, and one of blacks.

Offline Ld1993

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 14:55:53 »
Ducky shine 3 tkl with white LEDs. Got it back in 2013. Only a few LEDs have burned out over its lifespan but all in all it still works like a charm.