Author Topic: [GB] KAT Space Cadet - April 2020 - CLOSED Color Matching  (Read 49466 times)

Offline perihelion86

Re: [GB] KAT Space Cadet - April 2020 - CLOSED
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 08:34:45 »
Are deskmats available anywhere other than mkultra?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 08:48:54 »
Desk pads are no longer available for the GB but there will be extras!

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 13:37:36 »

Have you seen the post in Kat refined about massive issues with Kat production? Any thoughts on that for this set?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 16:44:26 »

Have you seen the post in Kat refined about massive issues with Kat production? Any thoughts on that for this set?

Massive is a bit of an exaggeration - yes, there appear to be some issues, as there are bound to be with a very new profile. Remember Space Cadet is not set to ship until December and that is a lot of time for keyreative to assess, and implement changes to their production. We will see many additional sets shipped before ours so we can continue to monitor the quality situation. You can be confident that Alas, MKUltra and I will strive to deliver the best quality product we (and keyreative) can.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:56:50 »

Massive is a bit of an exaggeration - yes, there appear to be some issues, as there are bound to be with a very new profile. Remember Space Cadet is not set to ship until December and that is a lot of time for keyreative to assess, and implement changes to their production. We will see many additional sets shipped before ours so we can continue to monitor the quality situation. You can be confident that Alas, MKUltra and I will strive to deliver the best quality product we (and keyreative) can.

Great to hear! I fully expect there to always be growing pains (like MT3 went through) so I won't hold it crazy standards like I would gmk (especially because the pricing here makes it much easier to understand). Fingers crossed on my Atlantis kits which will run before the cadet.

Offline villagepillage

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 01:07:54 »
These look amazing, kinda wish I got in on the GB. They look especially nice paired with spacecables

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 04:09:29 »
I couldn't find this anywhere--what is the colour code for the yellow accents?  I need to coordinate!

Offline umberts

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 05:51:41 »
I couldn't find this anywhere--what is the colour code for the yellow accents?  I need to coordinate!

In the IC thread we had a poll for colors and we voted to be colormatched with the SA Symbiosis kit and not with the original Space Cadet keyboard, so I guess also the yellow accent kit is colormatched with the Symbiosis. In that case, this is the legend from the r2.

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 17:47:12 »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline lz2019

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:28:29 »

In the IC thread we had a poll for colors and we voted to be colormatched with the SA Symbiosis kit and not with the original Space Cadet keyboard, so I guess also the yellow accent kit is colormatched with the Symbiosis. In that case, this is the legend from the r2.

Show Image

wait, what? "to be colormatched with the SA Symbiosis kit and not with the original Space Cadet keyboard" ??
but this GB thread started with the saying "The KAT Space Cadet colors will be color matched to an original Space Cadet keyboard", right under Details. 

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:37:51 by lz2019 »

Offline umberts

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 02:03:52 »

Show Image

wait, what? "to be colormatched with the SA Symbiosis kit and not with the original Space Cadet keyboard" ??
but this GB thread started with the saying "The KAT Space Cadet colors will be color matched to an original Space Cadet keyboard", right under Details. 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103480.msg2845390#msg2845390
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103480.msg2845596#msg2845596

I don't think he ever acquired the OG board, but I'd say that we can trust SA Symbiosis matched (or at least REALLY close) the color, so I wouldn't worry at all. Just my 2 cents

Offline jfaulken

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 17:40:21 »
I have a Hyper 7 R2 and completely missed out on this GB! Any chance of extras on the H7 kit? I hesitate to say I'll pay anything, but I'll kinda pay anything. :)
SIIG Mechanical
Filco Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blues
Poker MX Brown (not here yet FFFFUUUU)
Leopold FC200R Cherry MX Browns (not here yet either)

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 17:43:45 »
I have a Hyper 7 R2 and completely missed out on this GB! Any chance of extras on the H7 kit? I hesitate to say I'll pay anything, but I'll kinda pay anything. :)

There will be extras!

We just heard that they are working on producing a set of samples for us so keep your eyes peeled for those soon!

Offline jfaulken

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 17:45:10 »
That's awesome news, thanks!!
SIIG Mechanical
Filco Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blues
Poker MX Brown (not here yet FFFFUUUU)
Leopold FC200R Cherry MX Browns (not here yet either)

Offline umberts

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 05:20:29 »
Any news regarding the GB status will be sent here? First GB for me, not entirely sure how it works around here. (:

Offline harlekein

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 07:04:29 »
Any news regarding the GB status will be sent here? First GB for me, not entirely sure how it works around here. (:

Welcome to the world of GB's. Here's how it works: You join, then you look at all the other sets produced by the same manufacter and see them being delayed, so you let go of any expectations or timelines. Then you hear it starts shipping, but your proxy is the last to ship, so you are waiting an additional couple of weeks or months.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:23:18 »
roughly 8 more sets to ship so we're looking at next year but It'll be worth the wait.

Offline gnho

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:24:29 »
roughly 8 more sets to ship so we're looking at next year but It'll be worth the wait.
From the fall to next year? That's a huge difference!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:29:10 »
Hey everyone sorry its been so quiet so far!!!

We finally heard from keyreative...

Essentially they needed a special base color for our set which was only just delivered so they are currently dye subbing for samples. Because of the delay, some other sets have jumped ahead of us in color matching stage so we're a bit behind. 

To be clear based on the timeline, we're about 3 weeks late for samples compared to Atlantis, which given the situation (covid) by itself is not terrible, then when you consider the extra time for the special color things kind of line up.

We'll try to stay in touch but things are moving along albeit a bit slower than we'd have hoped!

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 19:23:37 »
Honestly, that is great news all things considered! Thanks for the update!

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 19:30:25 »
From the fall to next year? That's a huge difference!

Inaccurate timelines are all part of the fun.

I've had one GB arrive early. ever. Beautiful board. Massive brass weight. Didn't even keep it.

Maybe this will be a nice Lunar New Year gift to yourself.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 11:24:15 »
Samples are on their way to MKUltra and then Alas and myself.  :eek:  :thumb:

Offline tominabox1

Re: [GB] KAT Space Cadet - April 2020 - CLOSED Color Matching
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 19:43:11 »
We've received our first round of samples

They are a fair bit off from our expectation and we've already sent feedback back to keyreative for another go at it. By themselves, the colors look really great IMO but we said we'd match Symbiosis so that's what we're doing!

We'll keep you posted when we hear back!

Offline heliar_mk

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 22:58:34 »
Show Image

Show Image

They are a fair bit off from our expectation and we've already sent feedback back to keyreative for another go at it. By themselves, the colors look really great IMO but we said we'd match Symbiosis so that's what we're doing!

Great news!

Offline umberts

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 05:12:28 »

Just curious, what's off in your opinion?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 08:57:46 »

Look at the yellow keys.  The KAT keys are a bit desaturated and lean a bit orange.

The grey keys are a little darker than the source samples, and the grey seems a teensy bit bluer.

The blue keys seem to be well within margin of error, IMO.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 08:59:41 »

Nopun kind of summed it up well. The blue is a tad lighter but is pretty close indeed.