Author Topic: New Member, request for help!  (Read 2007 times)

Offline ab2k18

New Member, request for help!
« on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 15:57:04 »
Hey geekhack,

I’m trying to complete my first self build and I’m really excited to get it finished!

I’ve run in to a problem and I have asked on reddit and checked their wiki, but I’ve had no luck finding an answer.

I would like to make a keyboard with a wooden case, and Apple key caps (ie I want the Apple font and the ‘command’ and apple logo keys etc). I wanted something small-ish, but with arrow keys.

I ordered a case from somebody on reddit. It’s 12 x 3.75 inches, which i think is the size of a XD86 PCB? However, am I right in saying that this size keyboard needs a smaller right hand shift key to accommodate the arrows?

I have sourced an old school apple keyboard and I plan on using those keys, except obviously it doesn’t have the smaller right hand shift key that I think I need...

What do you guys think is the best way to proceed? Is it possible to source ‘Apple’ keycaps online, to include the smaller shift key? If not, do you know what else I could do? Maybe a bigger wooden case? If so, what is the smallest size I could go that would still have arrow keys but also allow me to use the keycaps from the apple keyboard I have already sourced?

I appreciate all your help!

Offline Maledicted

Re: New Member, request for help!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 16:19:18 »
Hey geekhack,

I’m trying to complete my first self build and I’m really excited to get it finished!

I’ve run in to a problem and I have asked on reddit and checked their wiki, but I’ve had no luck finding an answer.

I would like to make a keyboard with a wooden case, and Apple key caps (ie I want the Apple font and the ‘command’ and apple logo keys etc). I wanted something small-ish, but with arrow keys.

I ordered a case from somebody on reddit. It’s 12 x 3.75 inches, which i think is the size of a XD86 PCB? However, am I right in saying that this size keyboard needs a smaller right hand shift key to accommodate the arrows?

I have sourced an old school apple keyboard and I plan on using those keys, except obviously it doesn’t have the smaller right hand shift key that I think I need...

What do you guys think is the best way to proceed? Is it possible to source ‘Apple’ keycaps online, to include the smaller shift key? If not, do you know what else I could do? Maybe a bigger wooden case? If so, what is the smallest size I could go that would still have arrow keys but also allow me to use the keycaps from the apple keyboard I have already sourced?

I appreciate all your help!

Welcome to Geekhack ab2k18.

You would be best served to post this question in the dedicated "Keyboards" section of this forum. I think more people read it, and it would be a more relevant place for questions/suggestions.

What sort of Apple keyboard do you mean by oldschool? A lot of old Apple keyboards used Alps switches, the caps for which would be incompatible with modern switches. Did you plan on doing an Alps build, or MX-ish? Also, I'm not getting many results for an XD86, did you mean XD68? XD87?

I'm looking at this from the outside, but whenever I need to use a keyboard with a OSX/MacOS, I just use any old random keyboard myself. Is it really that important to have the command and option legends? I imagine there are compatible Mac cap sets, but wouldn't know myself offhand, even knowing exactly what layout/size you mean. I have never done the LEGO thing before.

Offline ab2k18

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 20:05:00 »
Hey Maledicted, thanks for the reply!

I will ask again in the other section, but you’re totally right - I’d like an XD68 size keyboard with Apple style keycaps (ie the Apple font, command buttons etc). I thought I could repurpose an AEK II, before I realized they don’t use MX switches, and shift key won’t fit arrow keys!

Thanks again!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 08:34:29 »
What color are the sliders in the AEK II? Alps switches are very nice when in good shape, considered by many to be better than anything you can purchase today, depending on category. If you end up liking them, you could at least also use that keyboard from time to time with an ADB to USB adapter.

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 07:34:51 »
the short right shift you're looking for is a 1.75u
you can ask around if there's any left from the lunar group buy
check this thread for a bunch of vintage alps boards/caps

new alps sets can be had from
matias - https://matias.store/collections/all/keycaps
tai-hao - https://shop.tai-hao.com/categories/alps-keycaps
signature plastics used to have some as well, but all i see now is an esc key

other projects to check out
AEK64 & variants
Steezy60: Alps and SMK 60% PCB with split space
VE.A
Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad

if you go MX and want a mac styled keyset, there were a couple (some may be had to find/second hand)
DSA "Think Different" (DSA profile)
XDA Oblique (XDA Profile)
MT3 Extended 2048 (MT3 Profile)
- leftovers https://kbdfans.com/products/ic-kbdfans-x-biip-extended-2048-keycaps-set?variant=33816045322379

you can also do arrows in the bottom right of a 60% (see layout below). i prefer short right shift for this as well as no one wants a stabilized arrow key.
255427-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2020, 07:43:48 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68