Author Topic: [IC] Hira70 - FRL TKL  (Read 6518 times)

Offline saab

[IC] Hira70 - FRL TKL
« on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 15:33:34 »

Hira70

Hello, I am Saab and this is an IC for my first project that I have been working for well over a year.
Hira70 is a FRL TKL

The inspiration behind this project sparked during my time in Punjab, Hira in Punjabi is the translation for a Diamond or a Gem.
The weight is designed to remind the user of a diamond on the back of their keyboard.

Design:
These are all Renders, The finishing will differ from actual boards.

Major changes were made to the design, mainly for aesthetic and acoustic purposes. Aesthetically, the top bezels have decreased in size.
The Side bezels however have increased in size to add symmetry. Bottom of the Hira70 is now more elegant alongside a new weight design to suit the bottom.
The weight shape flows extremely well with the new bottom design.

After the initial IC form, I received various feedback. There will now be two Top options for the keyboard, WKL AND WK.
There was a lot of demand for WKL. In addition to another layout, there is another colour that I have prototyped.
Champagne, it was well received and the prototype sample in my hand didn't have the best anodization quality.

The new weight accommodates a polycarbonate piece surrounding it. Its main purpose is to cover the space cut-out for the daughter board.
With the new weight, acoustics were also improved drastically. The sound profile of this keyboard is a lot more pronounced and ping free.
Weight will now be PVD coated instead of electroplating process, I have more options of colours now that I have switched manufacturers.
However, I only plan on doing two options Black PVD and Silver PVD.

The new mounting method still uses gasket tabs however, the focus is more on separating the alphas and the nav keys.
Huge improvement to the sound and feel of this keyboard.
There is no longer a gasket tab directly underneath the spacebar due to harsh typing feel on the spacebar region and pinging.
The acoustic cut outs still remain and are in the same place.

Renders with keycaps:

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2022, 12:02:31 by saab »

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
  • discord.gg/ankit
Re: [IC] Hira70 - FRL TKL
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 15:46:13 »
This is a cool project. Love the weight. FRL TKLs are cool. GLWIC

Offline zekth

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 16:27:07 »
FYI: discord link is dead

Offline saab

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 16:34:15 »
FYI: discord link is dead
Thanks for letting me know, its fixed now <3

Offline saab

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 16:34:44 »
This is a cool project. Love the weight. FRL TKLs are cool. GLWIC
Thanks man :) Appreciate the kind words

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 17:23:58 »
nutting so hard rn
GLWIC bby gal

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 00:27:09 »
cool looking board, good luck with the project
Collection: HHKB Pro 2 type-s, HHKB Pro 2, Evija, Hello m0110, Mysterium TKL, Corne V3, Nasu, W1-AT, F77
Ordered: Safa, Crin, Glare

Offline Lysol_

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 01:02:06 »
nice project and concept. only thing of note to me is the stab cutouts for the plate, there arent any wire cuts or clearance cuts like you usually see on plates like the jane v2 plate for example.  is there a reason for that or did you find it wasn't necessary?

Offline ZAND4

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 02:58:19 »
Love the design, yet less the format

Offline saab

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 07:37:52 »
Thanks <3, as for the format. do you mean the FRL layout?

Offline saab

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 07:40:14 »
nice project and concept. only thing of note to me is the stab cutouts for the plate, there arent any wire cuts or clearance cuts like you usually see on plates like the jane v2 plate for example.  is there a reason for that or did you find it wasn't necessary?
The stab cut outs clearance are perfectly fine on all the plates I have tested, so far ive tested Tx stabs, durock stabs and cherry. none of them had any issues

Offline Ansenki

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 10:12:49 »
I love frltkl’s. Really cool weight design and overall very simplistic, I dig. GLWIC  :thumb:

Offline The Japple

• PC/Keyboard enthusiast, techy, Essentials designer
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 11:13:27 »
So, how would a half plate and hotswap pcb work? AFAIK those sockets don't really grip the switches with a ton of force, I'd be a bit worried about the switches falling out
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is

Offline ZAND4

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 13:06:30 »
Thanks <3, as for the format. do you mean the FRL layout?

Correct !
With it, instabuy

Offline saab

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 18:04:47 »
So, how would a half plate and hotswap pcb work? AFAIK those sockets don't really grip the switches with a ton of force, I'd be a bit worried about the switches falling out
Half Plate is best suited for Soldered PCB and not for Hotswap pcb at all. Half Plate is really an option for people who would like a bit of bounce near the alphas region when typing with a soldered PCB. I would try my best to inform people before buying the keyboard about Hotswap and Half Plates :)

Offline saab

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 18:17:09 »
I love frltkl’s. Really cool weight design and overall very simplistic, I dig. GLWIC  :thumb:
Thanks a bunch :)

Offline The Japple

• PC/Keyboard enthusiast, techy, Essentials designer
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 20:26:51 »
Half Plate is best suited for Soldered PCB and not for Hotswap pcb at all. Half Plate is really an option for people who would like a bit of bounce near the alphas region when typing with a soldered PCB. I would try my best to inform people before buying the keyboard about Hotswap and Half Plates :)

Yes, I agree, if they're both an option it would be best to either have a very visible disclaimer about it or just not allow the purchase of a hotswap PCB/half plate configuration for a full board.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is

Offline Pensa73

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 12:56:37 »
Both brass weights look awesome

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 05:48:18 »
Looks dope and would fit great with my 21KB Punjabi set. Nice to see some Punjabi inspiration in the community. There are dozens of us!

Offline saab

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 17:11:06 »
Looks dope and would fit great with my 21KB Punjabi set. Nice to see some Punjabi inspiration in the community. There are dozens of us!
Thanks man, cant believe I missed out on the keyset. Would have loved to grab in red sublegends.

Offline Hiiro_XoXo

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 21:30:22 »
weight looks sexy. wkl a possibility? posting for future updates on this board. GLWIC

Offline saab

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 July 2022, 06:39:43 »
weight looks sexy. wkl a possibility? posting for future updates on this board. GLWIC
Hi! WKL is confirmed :)
Getting a prototype for it soon