Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 1931732 times)

Offline Sifo

• I like blue.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16550 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 10:44:29 »
ripsto
(Forever) Illustrious.

Offline mac.n.keys

« Reply #16551 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 03:34:51 »
Hi,
I think about getting the Infinikey Pastel - Mega Addon Kit
Link: https://prototypist.net/collections/infinikey-pastel/products/group-buy-infinikey-pastel-mega-addon-kit
for a Drop ALT Mechanical keyboard or a Ducky One 2 SF.

I'm pretty new to this.
My question: What do the numbers in the photo of the add-on kit mean? (1.5u, 2u, 7u etc.).
I assume it's some sort of size indication. How can I check if it fits on my keyboards?
Thanks.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16552 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:06:38 »
Hi,
Link: https://prototypist.net/collections/infinikey-pastel/products/group-buy-infinikey-pastel-mega-addon-kit

I'm pretty new to this.
My question: What do the numbers in the photo of the add-on kit mean? (1.5u, 2u, 7u etc.).
I assume it's some sort of size indication. How can I check if it fits on my keyboards?
Thanks.

A standard letter key is 1 unit wide and this is written written 1u, you have to eyeball if the bigger keys are 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 of a key bigger than that.

The two boards you mention use different keys in the bottom row and the right shift but more importantly the Ducky will have come with OEM profile keycaps which are different height to the pastel ones, which are Cherry profile.  Not sure about the Drop board.

Ducky Zero, MX Reds    JD40, Jailhouse Blues           GH60
Soarer controller

Offline mac.n.keys

« Reply #16553 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 02:28:29 »
Hi,

I'm pretty new to this.
Thanks.

A standard letter key is 1 unit wide and this is written written 1u, you have to eyeball if the bigger keys are 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 of a key bigger than that.

The two boards you mention use different keys in the bottom row and the right shift but more importantly the Ducky will have come with OEM profile keycaps which are different height to the pastel ones, which are Cherry profile.  Not sure about the Drop board.

Thanks for answering my question and the info about the profile. I didn't knew about that.
Comparing the Drop Alt keycaps with a comparison shot on reddit I think they are Cheery profile.

I must admit I'm a total noob in mechanical keyboards.
Is there anything else I need to consider when selecting keycaps for a keyboard?
Is there a beginner guide somewhere on GH?

https://external-preview.redd.it/mOLsIwK7vyWP9Y57Q0DEzdufQUQzjC8zJdqohLBzbzY.jpg?auto=webp&s=72bdef19750ef60f74f8f26589e4ee1abd8d21c5

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16554 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 04:52:37 »
Is there anything else I need to consider when selecting keycaps for a keyboard?
Is there a beginner guide somewhere on GH?

Show Image

Yup, looks like Cherry.  Manufacturers usually say in the product description but pictures work too.

I was going to say there isn't a guide because it's pretty simple and with the two things above you're now an expert, then I remembered the possible rubbing of some keycaps if the switches are one way up or if they have LEDs in them, not a problem if you match whats on there though.

Most people buy a whole set which makes things easier but I should warn you that the Drop keycaps are probably ABS and if they are they will sound different to the PBT pastels.  Some people would be bothered by this, most don't care.  The font may also be different, and/or in a different place on the cap.  You know if this will bother you better than I do :)

Soarer controller

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #16555 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:05:02 »
Anyone know how the blank white Gateron or ePBT caps compare to WS1?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #16556 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:03:53 »
Anyone know how to get in touch with the ctrl.alt people? I'm trying to find the podcast that they did (I think it was BunnyLake) with HipsterPunks back in 2016, maybe as far back as 2014.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #16557 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:08:39 »
Anyone know how to get in touch with the ctrl.alt people? I'm trying to find the podcast that they did (I think it was BunnyLake) with HipsterPunks back in 2016, maybe as far back as 2014.

Your best bet is probably on Instagram. I believe it was sent who did the interview though iirc

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #16558 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 17:24:00 »

Your best bet is probably on Instagram. I believe it was sent who did the interview though iirc

Awesome, thanks. Gonna try to track this down.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #16559 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 06:30:06 »

Awesome, thanks. Gonna try to track this down.

Let me know if you find it

Offline zerosxl

« Reply #16560 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 06:32:30 »
Anyone know if there are any tenkeyless format PCBs that support the gateron optical switches?!?
I've been searching for a solid 2 hours and cannot find anything.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #16561 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 19:23:32 »

Offline derpdederp

« Reply #16562 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 07:02:57 »
I'm probably going to mod it to make it even more quieter but would you say cherry silent blacks are the quietest switch to start with?

Did you ever get an answer to this @bear95? I'm curious if there is anything just as quiet but less mushy & scratchy than the cherry mx silent black... I'm not saying they are mushy & scratchy, but I've seen so many reviews of the cherry mx silent red/black claiming as much.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16564 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 17:39:53 »
Are there any split keyboards with a polycarbonate plate?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #16565 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 20:12:03 »
Are there any split keyboards with a polycarbonate plate?

I think the plate files have been released for the VE.A but I'm not really familiar with other split boards

Offline chyll2

« Reply #16566 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 06:09:14 »
I want to upgrade an off-the shelf keyboard stabilizers. It is plate mounted. Am I correct that the only upgrade path right now is the GMK/Cherry plate-mounted stabs?

All other aftermarket stabilizers are PCB/screw-in which will never fit or allowed to be used on a plate?

Offline jamster

« Reply #16567 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 05:51:36 »
Are DSA and XDA the only 'row agnostic' profiles? A quick Google suggests so, but ideally I'm looking for a profile that is cylindrical rather than spherical (DSA), and not like a dinner plate (XDA).
Current: Realforce 87u 55, KUL-ES87 Ergo Clear 65, RC930-87 55.
Just sitting around: 1986 IBM Model M, 198? IBM Model M UK, BTC 5100C.
Previously owned: Raptor K1 1800 Zealio 65, Northgate Omnikey 101, IBM Thinkpad USB (old style).
Incoming: Kickstarter Atreus.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16568 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 06:39:37 »
Are DSA and XDA the only 'row agnostic' profiles? A quick Google suggests so, but ideally I'm looking for a profile that is cylindrical rather than spherical (DSA), and not like a dinner plate (XDA).
G20 caps from PMK are not spherical, not sure they're cylindrical though.  No ISO enter either, if that's a problem.

Soarer controller

Offline jamster

« Reply #16569 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 06:56:01 »
G20 caps from PMK are not spherical, not sure they're cylindrical though.  No ISO enter either, if that's a problem.

Thanks, hadn't even realised there was a profile called G20. No ISO isn't a problem, I left ISO boards twenty years ago. Looked up the profile and they appear to be even flatter than XDA- almost chicklets!
Current: Realforce 87u 55, KUL-ES87 Ergo Clear 65, RC930-87 55.
Just sitting around: 1986 IBM Model M, 198? IBM Model M UK, BTC 5100C.
Previously owned: Raptor K1 1800 Zealio 65, Northgate Omnikey 101, IBM Thinkpad USB (old style).
Incoming: Kickstarter Atreus.