Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 2096255 times)

retoid and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Erisie

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16650 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 21:08:53 »
A friend of mine recently bolt-modded my old Model M. The old barrel frame was broken, so we ordered a new one from Unicomp. Some keys on the ZXC row (X, B and sometimes N) are registering two keypresses from time to time.

What's causing this behaviour? Overtight bolts? Faulty membrane? Broken hammer springs? I also replaced the controller board for a new one.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16651 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 21:14:30 »

Overtight bolts?

That would be my first guess. You have replaced small shafts of soft plastic with steel. I never tighten more than "barely finger tight" because you only need to re-create the original state, not exceed it.
For those awash in anxiety and alienation, who feel that everything is spinning out of control, conspiracy theories are extremely effective emotional tools. For those in low status groups, they provide a sense of superiority: I possess important information most people do not have.   For those who feel powerless, they provide agency: I have the power to reject “experts” and expose hidden cabals.   As Cass Sunstein of Harvard Law School points out, they provide liberation:   If I imagine my foes are completely malevolent, then I can use any tactic I want.  
The GOP’s challenge is how to harness that Trump turnout without, well, Trump himself. Because it can’t be stressed enough, the hidden deplorables aren’t Republican or even conservative. They have no ideology other than the ideology of destruction. Their life is ****. They want to bring down everyone else to their levels.
- David Brooks NYT 2020

Offline Alga

« Reply #16652 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 05:58:54 »
Can some clear for me the difference between EC and MX?

I was looking at this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109635.0;topicseen and there is EC all over the place.

I am confused because there is specific EC plate and PCB but from the housing of the switches the contacts seem the same.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16653 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 18:38:10 »
Can some clear for me the difference between EC and MX?

I was looking at this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109635.0;topicseen and there is EC all over the place.

I am confused because there is specific EC plate and PCB but from the housing of the switches the contacts seem the same.

From what I've read, the difference is not in the physical arrangement of the switch pins, but in how the controller reads out the matrix. MX & compatible switches make an electrical connection between two contacts when the switch is actuated, but the EC switches don't ever bring the two contacts together. Instead, depressing the switch moves two parallel plates closer together, changing the capacitance of the circuit (more similar to how Topre switches work electrically). I'd guess that you could physically replace a MX switch with an EC switch without trouble, until you actually wanted a keypress to register.

Getting the keys to work would require more a complex controller and firmware than a standard MX or compatible switch, since capacitive sensing of an EC switch would require analog reads, configuration of thresholds, etc., while MX-compatible switches use simpler digital logic and the controller's standard logic thresholds. It might be possible to replace the controller on a MX-compatible board with a capacitive one, but things like trace layout can have more of an impact.

You may be interested in the info in this thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94239.0
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Madrossi9

« Reply #16654 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 22:04:02 »
Whick one would you buy? (Quality wise)
Keychron K8 aluminum hot swappable/ Gateron browns / new PTB keycaps

Or

GMMK Glorious hot swappable board / Glorious Panda switch / Glorious Aura key cap (PBT, pudding)

Or

DUCKY ONE 2 RGB

Same price  around A$200

Thanks
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2020, 03:21:10 by Madrossi9 »

Offline Jaratic

« Reply #16655 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 01:57:26 »
What are the different types of hotswap sockets available? (like the Gateron, Kalih sockets) And what are the switches that support those hotswap sockets?

Offline w2312

« Reply #16656 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 23:50:35 »
Is there any difference in quality between the translucent keycaps(pudding) from KBDfabs and the aura keycaps from GMMK?

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #16657 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 19:04:53 »
Thank  you so much for all this answers. Really helps