Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555013 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #5250 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:08:54 »
Yeah, that looks like an active one. I bought this one at Best Buy, and it's active:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/usb-to-ps-2-adapter/7334306.p
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5251 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:40:49 »
Has anyone added rubber onto their QFR/Ducky's feet? If so, what did you guy use? I'm tired of having the keyboard slip around.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5252 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:42:30 »
Has anyone added rubber onto their QFR/Ducky's feet? If so, what did you guy use? I'm tired of having the keyboard slip around.

Add an aluminum case.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5253 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:43:42 »

I've used 3M bumpons before for my GHPad and Epsilon. Some people have used BlueLounge Kicks for the HHKB and might work for the QFR.

Add an aluminum case.

That would also work lol.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5254 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:45:46 »
How much would it cost to ship 3 keycaps to the UK?

~$6 in a bubble mailer with tracking

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #5255 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 12:31:53 »
How would I find out which version of Das keyboard I own? I have a Das Pro model S, I have the box it came in. I believe they changed from costar stabilizers at one point, and quality degraded?

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #5256 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 17:05:52 »
How would I find out which version of Das keyboard I own? I have a Das Pro model S, I have the box it came in. I believe they changed from costar stabilizers at one point, and quality degraded?
You should be able to tell what kind of stabilizers you have by feel or pop the space bar off or any other stabilized key.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5257 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 20:09:41 »
I'm thinking of buying a KMAC2 off Originative, however I'm not sure where I can source stabilizers for the keyboard. Can anyone lead me to the right direction? Also, are these stabilizers plate or PCB mounted? I'm not sure cause this is a Korean custom board and it looks different to me. Thanks!

Edit-

Watched WFD's video and they are indeed PCB mounted. Does anyone know where I can source these stabilizers? Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2013, 20:37:06 by Dreamre »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5258 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 01:10:17 »
This might get slightly confusing.

If you have a PCB that supports PCB mounted switches but you are using a plate to mount the switches, do you still need to clip the extra spikes on PCB mounted switches or can you leave them on?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5259 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 01:27:22 »
This might get slightly confusing.

If you have a PCB that supports PCB mounted switches but you are using a plate to mount the switches, do you still need to clip the extra spikes on PCB mounted switches or can you leave them on?

nope and you get extra support

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5260 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 01:34:45 »
I'm thinking of buying a KMAC2 off Originative, however I'm not sure where I can source stabilizers for the keyboard. Can anyone lead me to the right direction? Also, are these stabilizers plate or PCB mounted? I'm not sure cause this is a Korean custom board and it looks different to me. Thanks!

Edit-

Watched WFD's video and they are indeed PCB mounted. Does anyone know where I can source these stabilizers? Thanks!
All the KMAC keyboards are korean customs, from KBDmania. Custom keyboards can look like anything.

It's actually an acronym for Keyboard Maniac Attic Craze.

From the pictures, it looks like KMAC2 supports cherry PCB mount stabilizers. I get all mine from old cherry keyboards I take apart.

Das started with a keytronic as their keyboard OEM, then they switches to cherry when they went mechanical. The next generation used the well-respected Costar as the OEM. I'm not sure what they use now, but the issue is with the entire build not (just) the stabilizers.

It's actually quite variable now for first class mail  international, and the price goes up after 3 oz or so (3 keycaps and a small bubblemailer should weigh about that) Keep in mind that the tracking is only provided until after it leaves the USA.  After that, the user can sometimes track the package using the customs form number with the local post their country has.

The USPS postage price calculator says it's $6.16 for a 2 oz package and $8.88 for a 3 oz package
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=6&p=0&o=2
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=6&p=0&o=3
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 01:39:59 by dorkvader »

Offline Proc31

« Reply #5261 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 05:17:16 »
I've been looking into buying a board to build myself however I'm a bit confused about stabilisers. I really really like Costar stabs over cherry which means all of the Korean customs seem to be out of the window for me. Is it the plate setup that determines what stabiliser is used or it the pcb setup?

Thanks.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5262 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 05:27:46 »
I've been looking into buying a board to build myself however I'm a bit confused about stabilisers. I really really like Costar stabs over cherry which means all of the Korean customs seem to be out of the window for me. Is it the plate setup that determines what stabiliser is used or it the pcb setup?

Cherry stabilizers are great in my opinion if you do the clipping mod and lube them (that's why Koreans prefer them afaik). It depends on both the plate and the PCB which stabilizers you can use. Which board do you want to buy?

Offline Proc31

« Reply #5263 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 06:58:16 »

Cherry stabilizers are great in my opinion if you do the clipping mod and lube them (that's why Koreans prefer them afaik). It depends on both the plate and the PCB which stabilizers you can use. Which board do you want to buy?

Maybe that is something I should try. I don't want to shell out a load of money for a KMAC for example and be unhappy with my stabilisers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5264 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:14:55 »

It's actually quite variable now for first class mail  international, and the price goes up after 3 oz or so (3 keycaps and a small bubblemailer should weigh about that) Keep in mind that the tracking is only provided until after it leaves the USA.  After that, the user can sometimes track the package using the customs form number with the local post their country has.

The USPS postage price calculator says it's $6.16 for a 2 oz package and $8.88 for a 3 oz package
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=6&p=0&o=2
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=6&p=0&o=3

The keycaps I recently sent to UK were tracked all the way to delivery by USPS.

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #5265 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:47:11 »
You should be able to tell what kind of stabilizers you have by feel or pop the space bar off or any other stabilized key.

Thanks, just to confirm, this is a costar stabilizer correct?

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #5266 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:16:38 »

Yes those are Costar. Cherry Stabilizers won't have any pieces coming off when you remove the bigger keycaps.

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #5267 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:19:56 »

Yes those are Costar. Cherry Stabilizers won't have any pieces coming off when you remove the bigger keycaps.

Thanks!

Another question regarding the DAS, I was not around for the "media key fiasco" what are people's complaints about the media keys? I have been searching for information and all I have been able to find is that people don't seem to like the media keys?

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #5268 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 10:01:05 »
I've never used a Das Keyboard so I couldn't give you an honest opinion on it, but media keys in general on keyboards are on a Fn layer that is optional. You don't have to use it if you don't want too.

I did some research on the Das keyboard media keys and it seems that the only real problems people have encountered is them not working over PS2, the audio controls are finicky with different audio devices you are using, and that's about it.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35295.0

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #5269 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 10:59:27 »

Maybe that is something I should try. I don't want to shell out a load of money for a KMAC for example and be unhappy with my stabilisers.
If you would like to build a custom get a Phantom kit and you'll be able to go ether way with the stabilizers as it supports both types and mod switches without de-soldering. Also the WFD universal plates had that feature also if you wanted to mod a Filco or QFR for less money. (if you your lucky to find them)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5270 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:34:41 »
Not keyboard related and I don't care. Come at me keybros. =P

I have a simple question: Why does my dog smell like cake? Reunited on Thanksgiving and it feels so good.

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll and thanks for making Simple Question Simple Answers such a big part of the GeekHack community ^__^.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5271 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:47:23 »
Not keyboard related and I don't care. Come at me keybros. =P

I have a simple question: Why does my dog smell like cake? Reunited on Thanksgiving and it feels so good.

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll and thanks for making Simple Question Simple Answers such a big part of the GeekHack community ^__^.

Haha...  My dog's feet smell like popcorn and leather.  It is absolutely awesome...  Love my doggies... 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #5272 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:31:53 »
Happy Thanks Giving GH people!!! I don't why your dogs smell like that, your lucky mine smells like a regular dog??

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #5273 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:07:23 »
How long would you guys wait for an order from China (to the US)?  I am at 37 days for a set of brass risers.  Thinking I should just re-order them. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:09:59 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5274 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:13:54 »
How long would you guys wait for an order from China (to the US)?  I am at 37 days for a set of brass risers.  Thinking I should just re-order them. 

Usually only 2 or 3 weeks tops.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #5275 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:44:50 »

Usually only 2 or 3 weeks tops.

The screws showed up in 10 days.  I just re-checked the ebay listing:  ordered Oct. 23rd.  Estimated deliverey is between Tue. Dec. 10 and Wed. Dec. 18  :eek:
Didn't notice that!  At least I have until Dec. 6 to dispute the order if they send the wrong thing  :))

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #5276 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:52:58 »
Ordering stuff from China is weird, I have had stuff come in between 6-40 days. Out of the 20+ items bought only one never came.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #5277 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:56:00 »
Ordering stuff from China is weird, I have had stuff come in between 6-40 days. Out of the 20+ items bought only one never came.

I have had good luck until this one.  These are the last parts I need to assemble my Pure. 

Anyone have 6 - M2x5mm spacers they want to send me?

Offline fiftypoints

« Reply #5278 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 00:28:40 »
How should I go about programming windows media codes in an Aikon controller? The Aikon programmer doesn't support them natively.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #5279 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 06:06:24 »
1.What this true? holes size :)
http://i.imgur.com/3WjRZDZ.jpg
2.And how spacing this?, all 1x1 and one 1.50? ;)
http://i.imgur.com/zkyhY4P.jpg

Thanks
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2013, 06:08:45 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5280 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 06:22:05 »
1.What this true? holes size :)
http://i.imgur.com/3WjRZDZ.jpg
2.And how spacing this?, all 1x1 and one 1.50? ;)
http://i.imgur.com/zkyhY4P.jpg

The cutouts for plates need to be 0.551" square. From the Cherry datasheet (measurements are in inches):

I don't think I understand the second part of your question.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2013, 07:16:11 by BlueBär »

Offline yasuo

« Reply #5281 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 07:09:20 »
The cutouts for plates need to be 0.551" square. From the cherry datasheet (measurements are in inches):
Show Image

I don't think I understand the second part of your question.
thanks blue bar ;)
2.  i mean distance of each hole,i hope understand :D

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5282 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 07:18:46 »
thanks blue bar ;)
2.  i mean distance of each hole,i hope understand :D

Ah that makes more sense. The centers of the switches have to be 0.75" apart, so you need about 0.2" between the holes.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #5283 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 07:29:20 »
Ah that makes more sense. The centers of the switches have to be 0.75" apart, so you need about 0.2" between the holes.
sorry2x :D  nah,this i mean
http://i.imgur.com/h8poJab.jpg

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5284 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 07:58:51 »
sorry2x :D  nah,this i mean
http://i.imgur.com/h8poJab.jpg

Yes, as I said 0.2". Hope this helps:

Maybe we should add this to the OP? I don't know if theres any documented official recommendation on the spacing between the holes btw.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #5285 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 08:02:41 »
Nice,your editing :p  really understand now :))
thanks blue bar :thumb:

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #5286 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 17:01:52 »
A proxy that can proxy GBs from KBDmania?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5287 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 20:28:21 »
How would you compare the feeling of typing on SA keycaps to OEM?  Or a less ergonomic (flat) profile like DSA?  Just trying to imagine if there's a period of adjustment required for SA, where going to Cherry or DCS from OEM is not really dramatically different vs. going to DSA from OEM. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2013, 20:32:49 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5288 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:55:40 »
The mini usb port just fell off my Poker 2 pcb. What do I do?

PS looks like there are 2 black knobs on the bottom of it that anchor it on the pcb. One of them is broken off.

Edit: The other one just broke off too..
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5289 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:57:58 »

PS looks like there are 2 black knobs on the bottom of it that anchor it on the pcb. One of them is broken off.

How in the world did that happen? Was it dropped or was the cable pulled?

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5290 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 00:01:48 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 December 2013, 21:46:22 by stancato9 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5291 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 00:04:36 »

No, I had unscrewed the pcb from the case to flip it over and test some LEDs by touching them on the solder points. I then put the PCB back into the case and started to change the keycaps without screwing it back in. I guess the mini usb jack wasn't properly through the hole in the case, so there was pressure being put on it, and it fell off.

So in other words you broke it :(

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5292 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 00:08:53 »

No, I had unscrewed the pcb from the case to flip it over and test some LEDs by touching them on the solder points. I then put the PCB back into the case and started to change the keycaps without screwing it back in. I guess the mini usb jack wasn't properly through the hole in the case, so there was pressure being put on it, and it fell off.

So in other words you broke it :(

Yes, that is a blunt way of saying it. I know it's fixable. I probably just need to get another port and solder it back in place. Does anyone know if mini usb ports are generic? Can I just open up something like a broken camera and take it out?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline dante

« Reply #5293 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 10:01:58 »
If Cherry MX Blue is referred as 'Green Axis' in China - then what are Cherry MX Greens called?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5294 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:01:10 »
If Cherry MX Blue is referred as 'Green Axis' in China - then what are Cherry MX Greens called?

tea

Offline dante

« Reply #5295 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:13:30 »

tea

Tea Axis = Browns

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5296 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:26:30 »
Anyone know what these are?

I wasn't there so I can't check.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5297 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:33:08 »
Anyone know what these are?

Show Image

I wasn't there so I can't check.

Those are rubber domes.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5298 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:51:10 »
how much does international tracking cost?
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:55:20 by Pacifist »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5299 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 14:58:16 »
how much does international tracking cost?

You should get tracking for free with First Class International.