Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555308 times)

Offline Fullcream

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #5350 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 02:36:45 »
I'm sorry this is not keyboard related.

How to insert image into a post?  After I click insert image I paste the code in between  the two [img] things.
Using Flickr there is two options for the code. either </> or picture of a thumbtack code. When either is used the picture does not show up in the "preview post" option and there is just a very small icon or thumbnail where image is supposed to be and clicking on it makes it continuously load and nothing happens. Does the "preview post" option always do this? and the image will just work anyway or am I doing it wrong?

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #5351 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 02:50:57 »
I hope helps :) I think copy no2,no 1 just link :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 December 2013, 02:53:23 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #5352 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 03:53:01 »
^^ Thanks. I just ended up using Imgur and seems to work fine

Offline mauri

« Reply #5353 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 05:51:14 »
I'm wondering, my new ducky stopped working on my computer after rebooting. It flashes lights and doesn't work. It works on my laptop and the usb ports are fine since my other keyboards work thru them.

Any ideas?
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5354 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 05:54:11 »
I'm wondering, my new ducky stopped working on my computer after rebooting. It flashes lights and doesn't work. It works on my laptop and the usb ports are fine since my other keyboards work thru them.

Did you reboot your PC again? Did you try the other USB ports anyways?

Offline mauri

« Reply #5355 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 05:57:44 »

Did you reboot your PC again? Did you try the other USB ports anyways?

Yes i rebooted and tested other usb ports
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5356 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 06:02:53 »
Yes i rebooted and tested other usb ports

That's weird... Did you install any new software? Since it works on your laptop and used to work on your PC and the USB port is not the issue that makes me think that it's a software issue. Check your mainboard drivers for updates.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5357 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 07:32:45 »
Im interested in IMSTO's blue PBT dyesub set:

http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=61

Wasn't this available for ~75$ a couple of months ago? I don't wanna pay premium on this thing...

There's a price check thread. Please ask there.

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of this thread.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5358 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 09:08:45 »
I'm sorry this is not keyboard related.

How to insert image into a post?  After I click insert image I paste the code in between  the two
Show Image
things.
Using Flickr there is two options for the code. either </> or picture of a thumbtack code. When either is used the picture does not show up in the "preview post" option and there is just a very small icon or thumbnail where image is supposed to be and clicking on it makes it continuously load and nothing happens. Does the "preview post" option always do this? and the image will just work anyway or am I doing it wrong?

The code to put a picture in a forum is:

Code: [Select]
[Img]pictureurlhere[/img]

For flickr pictures, I go and find the link that has sizes. So its under the picture's options -> other sizes. Find the size you like, I usually go for the 500 pixel option. Then copy that link as your url. Don't think you can just input flickr's options since those are HTML (I think) and the forum uses bbcode. If youre previewing an HTML picture link, that could be causing your non-loading picture issue.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 December 2013, 09:16:11 by CPTBadAss »

Offline yasuo

« Reply #5359 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 09:54:49 »
What is usually the size of the screws on the kibord?

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5360 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 09:59:58 »

Don't think there is a standard screw size. The Poker/Pures use these screws. Forget what size my KMAC and Epsilon use...I'll have to check later.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5361 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 10:02:14 »
you need one more post for 6k there CPT.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5362 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 18:47:30 »

Don't think there is a standard screw size. The Poker/Pures use these screws. Forget what size my KMAC and Epsilon use...I'll have to check later.

I couldn't find the KMAC or Epsilon screw sizes in a quick search. But I found screw sizes for the LZ-GH and what The_Beast used for his case.

LZ-GH = M3 6mm
The_Beast's case = http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44778.0

Offline yjfknt

« Reply #5363 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 19:13:03 »
How would I go about changing the plate on a plate mounted board? Would I have to de-solder everything?

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #5364 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 19:16:17 »
How would I go about changing the plate on a plate mounted board? Would I have to de-solder everything?
You'd need to desolder all the switches in order to be able to snap them off the previous plate.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5365 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 14:26:54 »
Just a quick update for ya'll. If you didn't know, all posts are limited to 40,000 characters. The OP of this thread is very close to reaching that limit. As a result, I will be taking over the second post. I hope Strelok and the rest of you are ok with that. The question will be preserved of course but I'll need the other 39,900 characters or so to keep expanding the FAQ. And yes I have the ability to modify his post.

Offline yjfknt

« Reply #5366 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:10:02 »
Just a quick update for ya'll. If you didn't know, all posts are limited to 40,000 characters. The OP of this thread is very close to reaching that limit. As a result, I will be taking over the second post. I hope Strelok and the rest of you are ok with that. The question will be preserved of course but I'll need the other 39,900 characters or so to keep expanding the FAQ. And yes I have the ability to modify his post.

Follow up question, would there be a point to get aluminum case if I don't get an aluminum plate?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5367 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:11:13 »
Would there be a point to get aluminum case if I don't get an aluminum plate?

What point are you looking for? Many keyboards have a stock metal plate to begin with.

Edit: Not sure exactly what you're asking, need some clarification.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:16:14 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5368 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:18:36 »
You mean like, an alu case with an acrylic plate?

If you're willing to put the cash down for an alu case, the $35 (at imsto's site) for an alu plate should be pocket change :/
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline yjfknt

« Reply #5369 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:20:55 »

What point are you looking for? Many keyboards have a stock metal plate to begin with.

I'm thinking about getting a poker II, and an aluminum case so it's sturdier and sounds better? but I'm not sure what plate poker has originally.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5370 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:22:50 »

I'm thinking about getting a poker II, and an aluminum case so it's sturdier and sounds better? but I'm not sure what plate poker has originally.

EDIT: CPT gave a better answer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:26:06 by TacticalStache »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5371 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:23:28 »

Poker II has a metal plate. Not exactly sure what metal it is but it should be stainless steel. Aluminum plates are super light and it's very easy to tell if its aluminum or not. Judged on other stock plates I've seen, it's probably not aluminum. I own an aluminum TKL plate and I've worked with a KMAC, Epsilon stainless steel and acrylic plates, and QFR stainless steel plate. It will be fine if you swap out the case to an aluminum one.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5372 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 17:13:38 »

Poker II has a metal plate. Not exactly sure what metal it is but it should be stainless steel. Aluminum plates are super light and it's very easy to tell if its aluminum or not. Judged on other stock plates I've seen, it's probably not aluminum. I own an aluminum TKL plate and I've worked with a KMAC, Epsilon stainless steel and acrylic plates, and QFR stainless steel plate. It will be fine if you swap out the case to an aluminum one.

You should really just get a Poker II, given the number of questions asked about them.  :P

And the plate appears to be steel to me as well.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5373 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:09:42 »
Can Alps be opened without desoldering?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5374 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:17:49 »

Yes.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5375 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:20:10 »

Yes.

yup, just figured it out.  now have to figure out how to reassemble this damn thing

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5376 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 22:17:13 »

Yes.

yup, just figured it out.  now have to figure out how to reassemble this damn thing

Haha, yeah, that can be tricky.  Magnets or holding the board at a 90 degree angle can help.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5377 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 23:10:05 »

Yes.

Haha, yeah, that can be tricky.  Magnets or holding the board at a 90 degree angle can help.

Turned a flaky switch into a broken switch :))  Time to desolder  :rolleyes:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5378 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:44:14 »

Yes.

Turned a flaky switch into a broken switch :))  Time to desolder  :rolleyes:

That sucks.  :(

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5379 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:45:09 »
Is there a good description of how Alps switches are different (feel, sound, etc) from MX switches (or others) somewhere on here?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5380 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 11:55:13 »
Is there a good description of how Alps switches are different (feel, sound, etc) from MX switches (or others) somewhere on here?

I have a review of a Mr. Interface Switch try bag here and a review on the Dell AT101W from Akimbro's tour. There should be some Blue Alps reviews coming as well from Akimbo's Blue Alps tour. And the DT Wiki has some good info. I've also tried many of the common Alps and most of the MX switches if you want to discuss it in PMs or a different thread.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5381 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:15:52 »

I have a review of a Mr. Interface Switch try bag here and a review on the Dell AT101W from Akimbro's tour. There should be some Blue Alps reviews coming as well from Akimbo's Blue Alps tour. And the DT Wiki has some good info. I've also tried many of the common Alps and most of the MX switches if you want to discuss it in PMs or a different thread.

Great thanks, that gets me going...

Next question.  Are Alps keycaps available anywhere because I do not see them nearly as often as MX and even Topre...

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #5382 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:17:29 »

Next question.  Are Alps keycaps available anywhere because I do not see them nearly as often as MX and even Topre...
Not at the moment.  Gotta harvest from boards.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5383 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:18:48 »

Unless you want to get a whole lot of practice doing stem mods
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5384 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:31:37 »

Haha, alright then.  Guess I just need to keep an eye out if I want to build and Alps board.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #5385 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:32:04 »
There is a IC from alps caps though! Post your interest there too!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5386 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:34:55 »

Haha, alright then.  Guess I just need to keep an eye out if I want to build and Alps board.

Also Matias is currently creating tooling to make ALPS keycaps.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5387 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:38:04 »

Also Matias is currently creating tooling to make ALPS keycaps.

If I am not mistaken are not all alps caps compatible with each other?  Like slightly different stems.  This could just be from some of the clones but a touch of clarification might be needed on this one.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5388 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:44:39 »

Thanks, I will go find this...  :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5389 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:53:57 »

Thanks, I will go find this...  :)

Interest check is here. Problem is there's so many little differences for different boards and calavera wasn't sure what boards he should cover. Just making an ANSI 1.25x set isn't as easy as it seems since most Alps boards have slight variations in layouts. Also, he's busy.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #5390 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:15:44 »
whats the nearest MX switch to ML in regardss to stiffness and clickyness?
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #5391 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:20:37 »
ML feels like a short throw MX brown with off center friction issues. Also ML is not clicky. only has a bump.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5392 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:35:47 »
whats the nearest MX switch to ML in regardss to stiffness and clickyness?

Could try Jailhouse Blues, but it's not a stock switch.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #5393 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:55:29 »
Right on. thanks guys.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline yasuo

« Reply #5394 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:57:42 »
See in ripster imgur

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5395 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 21:01:33 »
See in ripster imgur

Some info from the OP. Includes some ripster info.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #5396 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 01:24:07 »
Has anyone tried lubed blues with a slightly heavier spring (65g? or maybe the stock clear spring?)? I feel like this might be a really nice switch, but I'd definitely like to know if others have done this and what they think before I try modding anything.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5397 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 01:30:56 »
Has anyone tried lubed blues with a slightly heavier spring (65g? or maybe the stock clear spring?)? I feel like this might be a really nice switch, but I'd definitely like to know if others have done this and what they think before I try modding anything.

The lubed Blue on my tester feels like a Brown to me. I don't feel a click anymore and I'm not a huge fan. I know Binge really likes his 65g lubed Blues on his 2TU. I tried them but unfortunately I don't remember exactly how they feel. Hopefully he chimes in.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #5398 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 01:32:47 »
CHIME!  My lubed 65g blues feel the most blue.  Stock blues are not nearly as crisp to the touch.  Kaliet did some serious magic. :D  Super crisp, great weight.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #5399 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 01:36:52 »
Cool, thanks. How do they compare to the feeling over ergo-clears? Just "sharper" tactility?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)