Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554099 times)

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7450 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 03:11:20 »
Does anyone have a 'default' .map file for a GON NS 38 GT? Had some troubles mapping.

I will post one when I get home. I think I have a Poker II-ish layout.

Thanks so much that would be extremely helpful! I haven't used this software before and stupidly managed to delete the whole layout and upload it to the keyboard so nothing works now - and when I try to remap the keys it seems like only sometimes it works, I don't know. Spent hours messing with the software anyway trying to fix it and I'm pretty fed up at this point!

PM'ed you a matrix file but since both my Aikon boards are out of the house right now I have no real way of verifying it. Tomorrow I'll bring one home and double check everything but I have no Windows at work so I can't get it to you until I return. Why isn't there time travel yet?

YGPM! Thanks again for the help!! Weird whilst trying and failing to fix the layout myself I plugged in my HHKB and it was randomly going from upper to lower case until I restarted my computer. Probably something to do with the aikon software or something, I don't know. Couldn't even type on that normally ugh!

Offline Bencze

« Reply #7451 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 05:37:00 »
Hi!
I'm trying to identify a poker 2 based on a bad picture. Perhaps someone can help me?

http://postimg.org/image/4n9silmkl/

It looks to me like it's german layout (or something), based on pictures I seen I'd guess it's the backlit abs version? Or the keycaps look all the same? But these are just guesses, maybe there's people that will recognize it. I am having a hard time identifying products, not even sure what's their official page, found a link to kbtrace.com on deskthority and the web server gives error :)
I'm thinking of buying it from someone who doesn't know crap about it, supposedly new, for about 67$ which is less than the 100 I seen in qtan's store so I'm obviously interested...

Appreciate it if anyone can help me out.
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7452 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 05:44:07 »
Hi!
I'm trying to identify a poker 2 based on a bad picture. Perhaps someone can help me?

http://postimg.org/image/4n9silmkl/

It looks to me like it's german layout (or something), based on pictures I seen I'd guess it's the backlit abs version? Or the keycaps look all the same? But these are just guesses, maybe there's people that will recognize it. I am having a hard time identifying products, not even sure what's their official page, found a link to kbtrace.com on deskthority and the web server gives error :)
I'm thinking of buying it from someone who doesn't know crap about it, supposedly new, for about 67$ which is less than the 100 I seen in qtan's store so I'm obviously interested...

Appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

The keyboard in the picture is a Poker 2, DE-ISO (German) with ABS keycaps and should have backlighting.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7453 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 07:35:39 »
I'm getting a Duck Mini V2 shortly that has 59g unlubed (afaik) ergo clears. Odd spring strength, I am interested to see whether I have to replace them.

Anyway, my question is: what type/size of screw/bolt is used to hold the Duck Mini V2 riser onto the keyboard? I haven't been able to find any good pics. It almost looks like a square head (?)

Thanks to nuclearsandwich, your question has been answered. Check out this imgur album for more details.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7454 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 08:11:29 »
Awesome, thanks to you both!
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #7455 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 15:18:37 »
So, I will be building my first custom next week and it will be using cherry stabs. I plan on clipping and lubing them.

My only concern is how I have read that you risk damaging your PCB over time because the little nubs that you are cutting off are meant to reduce the impact from the stabilizer. Is there any truth to this?

I think I saw someone say something about putting electrical tape below the stabilizers to dampen the impact(if you clip them), so I think I am going to do that to be safe..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7456 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 15:21:02 »
So, I will be building my first custom next week and it will be using cherry stabs. I plan on clipping and lubing them.

My only concern is how I have read that you risk damaging your PCB over time because the little nubs that you are cutting off are meant to reduce the impact from the stabilizer. Is there any truth to this?

I think I saw someone say something about putting electrical tape below the stabilizers to dampen the impact(if you clip them), so I think I am going to do that to be safe..

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had clipped stabs on my KMAC for a while now without issue.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #7457 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 15:44:37 »

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had clipped stabs on my KMAC for a while now without issue.
Okay, did you clip them just like this?

Because there is also this half clipping method that I am not sure is better or worse as far as feel.
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/photo/3717218

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7458 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 15:52:23 »
Okay, did you clip them just like this?

Because there is also this half clipping method that I am not sure is better or worse as far as feel.
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/photo/3717218

Yes, I used that video and the clipped stabs thread from DT.

Offline ajx

« Reply #7459 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 06:22:40 »
Anyone has tried MX-Clear, White, Green for gaming?

I know black/red are recommended for fps and gaming overall but it sounds interesting to try anothers infamous types of switches

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #7460 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 06:45:20 »
I have not tried whites, but have greens and clears and they were too fatiguing for me in long sessions. I like ergo-clears for gaming they are lighter but with noticeable bump which makes them like "better" brown. In the end you'll have to try for yourself  ^-^
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7461 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 09:27:47 »

I know black/red are recommended for fps and gaming overall but it sounds interesting to try anothers infamous types of switches

Clears and Whites were fine for me. Lately I've been finding that greens have been giving me fatigue issues in Diablo 3.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7462 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 11:12:27 »

I've gamed with stock Clears and Greens, but I simply didn't enjoy how heavy they were.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7463 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 11:46:51 »

Whites are too inconsistent for me. I didn't feel like I was getting anything more out of them than I would get with blues

Clears are pretty good. The bump is very nice, and the weight is bang on.

Greens are too heavy, and caused some fatigue after about an hour.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #7464 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 16:53:11 »

I've used clears for gaming quite a bit and found them OK but what I found even better was to switch the clear stems in the WASD keys to linear ones. Feels much more natural for gaming imo but doesn't interfere with how the keyboard feels when typing.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #7465 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 18:20:18 »
How do you secure a cherry pcb mount stabilizer? I installed one and it keeps coming off when I try to remove the key cap.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7466 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 18:38:14 »
How do you secure a cherry pcb mount stabilizer? I installed one and it keeps coming off when I try to remove the key cap.
it goes into the pcb...big one first then little one

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7467 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 18:39:06 »

Sounds like you might have broken it, it should just snap in. Can you take a close up photo?

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #7468 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 07:18:44 »

Sounds like you might have broken it, it should just snap in. Can you take a close up photo?

I'm quite sure it is not broken. I think the issue was that I am using a blank DSA pbt from SP and a clear switch. The mount might be too tight for the dsa keycaps. I plan to insert a plastic between the two open legs of the mount, but do you have another solution to secure pcb mounts?

Sorry for the potato pic.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7469 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 09:14:35 »
I'm quite sure it is not broken. I think the issue was that I am using a blank DSA pbt from SP and a clear switch. The mount might be too tight for the dsa keycaps. I plan to insert a plastic between the two open legs of the mount, but do you have another solution to secure pcb mounts?

Sorry for the potato pic.

Hmm yes looks fine actually. DSA caps are a bit tighter so that might be an issue, yes. The only other solution that comes to my mind are the screw-in stabilizers that are in some old boards, but they're fairly rare.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7470 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 11:50:32 »
Where can I get this kind of memory foam to fill keyboard housings with?

Found this on Listo's blog:
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7471 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 11:55:36 »

You can use shelf liner or cork, works well, too :thumb:

Offline combataran

« Reply #7472 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 11:59:43 »

I can get those from local hardware stores right?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7473 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 12:05:34 »

I bought my shelf liner at a grocery store. It's used to line drawers so that your knives and spoons and what not don't slide around.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7474 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 12:44:30 »

Found them, thanks.

I bought my shelf liner at a grocery store. It's used to line drawers so that your knives and spoons and what not don't slide around.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7475 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 16:49:18 »
I want to switch my Duck Mini V2 from 1.75x / 1x right shift configuration to 2.75x. In addition to the soldering work, I will need a Cherry stabilizer. What parts do I need, exactly, and where can I buy them?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7476 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 16:53:09 »
I want to switch my Duck Mini V2 from 1.75x / 1x right shift configuration to 2.75x. In addition to the soldering work, I will need a Cherry stabilizer. What parts do I need, exactly, and where can I buy them?

Show Image

If you have soldering stuff, you can buy stabs at orgininative or plenty of other places. If you need soldering stuff, they're doing learn to solder kits right now you can pick up
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7477 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 17:11:56 »

Show Image

If you have soldering stuff, you can buy stabs at orgininative or plenty of other places. If you need soldering stuff, they're doing learn to solder kits right now you can pick up

Thanks, let me clarify.

- I need the plate-mounted type, right? If I buy "a stabilizer," it will come with both the plastic and wire components, or do I need to buy them separately?

- Originative is out of stock. I looked around a bit but didn't see anything right away. Any other suggestions?

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #7478 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 17:35:10 »

Show Image

Thanks, let me clarify.

- I need the plate-mounted type, right? If I buy "a stabilizer," it will come with both the plastic and wire components, or do I need to buy them separately?

- Originative is out of stock. I looked around a bit but didn't see anything right away. Any other suggestions?

The Duck Mini uses PCB mounted stabilizers like most Korean customs seem to. The only place I was able to get them without paying hella $$$ for shipping from China or South Korea was mouser and you have to buy plate mounted 2x and pcb mounted 8x stabilizers then mix and match. If you PM me I'll send you a complete 2x stabilizer for postage.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7479 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 17:46:43 »
That's very generous of you. I will take you up on that. PM incoming.

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #7480 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 21:05:54 »
I have two questions, one is: Where can I buy cherry mx clear switches for my Kmac build? Question 2: Do Kmacs come with costar stabilizers, or do I need to buy them separately?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7481 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 21:06:59 »
I have two questions, one is: Where can I buy cherry mx clear switches for my Kmac build? Question 2: Do Kmacs come with costar stabilizers, or do I need to buy them separately?

mk.com

you probally need to buy the stabs seperately if it doesn't even come with switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7482 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 21:59:41 »
Question 2: Do Kmacs come with costar stabilizers, or do I need to buy them separately?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought KMAC only took Cherry stabilizers?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #7483 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 22:01:30 »
Question 2: Do Kmacs come with costar stabilizers, or do I need to buy them separately?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought KMAC only took Cherry stabilizers?
Correct. Cherry PCB-mount stabilisers only.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7484 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 11:33:24 »
Two questions today...

I bought two 7x spacebars from Signature Plastics' inventory page. One of them fits my Duck Mini V2 (the dark gray one) -- the other one has different stem spacings and doesn't fit. WTF is going on with that? Is it a defect? They were both listed as standard 7x spacebars on SP's website.

Also, as shown in this video, the spacebar on this keyboard is extremely loud. What should I do to silence it? I researched a little, and it looks like I could do any/all of these things. Thoughts?

- Use heavier spring, e.g., from MX Gray switch
- O rings and/or soft landing pads
- Lube
- Clip stabilizers

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 11:38:29 by intelli78 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7485 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 11:39:46 »
1) I bought two 7x spacebars from Signature Plastics' inventory page. One of them fits my Duck Mini V2 (the dark gray one) -- the other one has different stem spacings and doesn't fit. WTF is going on with that? Is it a defect? They were both listed as standard 7x spacebars on SP's website.

2) Also, as shown in this video, the spacebar on this keyboard is extremely loud. What should I do to silence it? I researched a little, and it looks like I could do any/all of these things. Thoughts?

- Use heavier spring, e.g., from MX Gray switch
- O rings
- Lube
- Clip stabilizers

1) Looks like you have a defect on that white spacebar. Unless you have it angled weird, it doesn't even look like it's the same size as the dark grey one.

2) You have what looks like GMK/Cherry caps with an SP spacebar. SP caps are thinner and will sound louder because of it. I don't think a spring or clipping the stabilizers will help reduce the sound. I think o-rings and lube will help, along with drawer liner and putting your keyboard on a mousepad or something of that nature. But most of all, getting a Cherry/GMK spacebar will help reduce the sound.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 11:43:36 by CPTBadAss »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7486 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 12:07:45 »
OK, thanks for the advice! I guess I'll go ahead and pick up an MX 11800.

The white spacebar is the same width as the other one, but the stems are just in the wrong positions. Very weird.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7487 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 12:11:59 »
OK, thanks for the advice! I guess I'll go ahead and pick up an MX 11800.

The white spacebar is the same width as the other one, but the stems are just in the wrong positions. Very weird.

If that's the case with your spacebar, I think you should contact SP. And I didn't realize those were PBT, my mistake. :D

Offline juguerre

« Reply #7488 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:11:25 »
Hi!
Which  cherry keyboard models use mx compatible keycaps?
I  just checked one g81 3000 and it seems to be compatible not being mechanical at all.

Thanks
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7489 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:12:09 »
Hi!
I  just checked one g81 3000 and it seems to be compatible not being mechanical at all.

Thanks

G80-XXXX and G81-XXXX. G81-3000 caps should work fine.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7490 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:12:42 »
Hi!

Thanks

Most commonly G80 models. G81 = Cherry MY.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7491 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:14:30 »

Even though G81 is Cherry MY, caps from G81 MY keyboards fit on MX stems. I have multiple sets pulled from various G81-XXXX keyboards that I'm using on my keyboards.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7492 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:16:02 »

Even though G81 is Cherry MY, caps from G81 MY keyboards fit on MX stems. I have multiple sets pulled from various G81-XXXX keyboards that I'm using on my keyboards.

Aren't the 1.25 mods and some other keys incompatible, though?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7493 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:18:44 »

Aren't the 1.25 mods and some other keys incompatible, though?

Depends on the keyboard. I think the G81-3000s have the proper stem spacing mods and the G81-8000s have off centered mod stems. And if you buy a MY1800, the mod row is 1x instead of 1.25x or 1.5x. But all the other caps will fit. Things like the CMYK, CMYW, and Purple GMK modifier sets all help adapt those kit to standard layouts as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:21:26 by CPTBadAss »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7494 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:25:40 »
I didn't know that the G81-3000s had centered mod stems. Good to know! The caps lock will definitely not work, though, and according to Ivan neither will the spacebar. Edit: thread pertained to g80, not g81, although this still may be true of the g81-3000s (?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:30:38 by intelli78 »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7495 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:26:46 »
Depends on the keyboard. I think the G81-3000s have the proper stem spacing mods and the G81-8000s have off centered mod stems. And if you buy a MY1800, the mod row is 1x instead of 1.25x or 1.5x. But all the other caps will fit. Things like the CMYK, CMYW, and Purple GMK modifier sets all help adapt those kit to standard layouts as well.
I didn't know that the G81-3000s had centered mod stems. Good to know! The caps lock will definitely not work, though, and according to Ivan neither will the spacebar.

G81-3000 with 1.25 mods have off-center stems, they will not fit on your normal modern board, not sure about the WKL ones.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7496 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:27:38 »
I didn't know that the G81-3000s had centered mod stems. Good to know! The caps lock will definitely not work, though, and according to Ivan neither will the spacebar.

G81-3000 with 1.25 mods have off-center stems, they will not fit on your normal modern board, not sure about the WKL ones.

Here is a thread with pictures to illustrate

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/cherry-g81-off-center-keys-from-peacock-g81-3004lanbe-t7618.html

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7497 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:30:18 »

Here is a thread with pictures to illustrate

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/cherry-g81-off-center-keys-from-peacock-g81-3004lanbe-t7618.html

TIL. Thanks for the photos.

The caps lock will definitely not work, though, and according to Ivan neither will the spacebar.[/s] Edit: thread pertained to g80, not g81.

Right the caps locks are off centered and stepped. And the spacebars have the off centered stem for the spacebar switch too.

Offline juguerre

« Reply #7498 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:38:48 »
Ok guys, thanks...  Always learning!
And just another keycap question, maybe is a silly but: are unicomp keycaps compatible with original ibm model M keyboard?
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7499 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:40:13 »
Ok guys, thanks...  Always learning!
And just another keycap question, maybe is a silly but: are unicomp keycaps compatible with original ibm model M keyboard?

Yes!