Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554997 times)

Offline Kblavkalash

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8650 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 03:28:41 »
How long can cherry mx switches last? I know there are exact numbers, but they don't say anything to me.

I am using my filco with cherry mx blues for over 3 years now, pretty much every day. I wonder is it after some years the switches just become unusable, or considerably worse than new? Does that every happen?

For example if I want to buy new set of key caps, should I put them on new keyboard, or 3 year old filco is perfectly fine and will last me many years to follow?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8651 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 03:49:05 »
How long can cherry mx switches last? I know there are exact numbers, but they don't say anything to me.

I am using my filco with cherry mx blues for over 3 years now, pretty much every day. I wonder is it after some years the switches just become unusable, or considerably worse than new? Does that every happen?

For example if I want to buy new set of key caps, should I put them on new keyboard, or 3 year old filco is perfectly fine and will last me many years to follow?

Cherry keyswitches are rated for 50 million keystrokes.  Your keycaps will wear out long before the switches do.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Kblavkalash

« Reply #8652 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 04:04:11 »

Cherry keyswitches are rated for 50 million keystrokes.  Your keycaps will wear out long before the switches do.

Well as I said that number does not give me any real perspective on what it means. And some of my keycaps already wore off actually :P

So when selling cherry mx keyboard, does its price change depending on how old the keyboard is? Is it 2 or 5 years, will the price change (considering that external look is the same)?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8653 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 04:45:28 »
Not really much of anything.  Care, cleanliness, and keycaps seem to affect price more than age.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8654 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 04:56:33 »

Well as I said that number does not give me any real perspective on what it means. And some of my keycaps already wore off actually :P

So when selling cherry mx keyboard, does its price change depending on how old the keyboard is? Is it 2 or 5 years, will the price change (considering that external look is the same)?

If you press a single key 1,000 time a day (no idea how realistic that is - you'd have to use a keystroke capture/analysis utility for your typing patterns), a typical Cherry switch would last for 50,000 days.  That's nearly 137 years.  Pressing a single key 1000 time a day every day of the year for 137 years.

If you press a single key 10,000 time a day (now that is probably way overkill, even for a professional typist), that switch would last nearly 14 years.  If you have weekends off, then that switch would last for 1,000 weeks, which is about 19 years.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kblavkalash

« Reply #8655 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 05:00:29 »
Not really much of anything.  Care, cleanliness, and keycaps seem to affect price more than age.

Gotcha.

If you press a single key 1,000 time a day (no idea how realistic that is - you'd have to use a keystroke capture/analysis utility for your typing patterns), a typical Cherry switch would last for 50,000 days.  That's nearly 137 years.  Pressing a single key 1000 time a day every day of the year for 137 years.

If you press a single key 10,000 time a day (now that is probably way overkill, even for a professional typist), that switch would last nearly 14 years.  If you have weekends off, then that switch would last for 1,000 weeks, which is about 19 years.

Alright that's now more clear, they are very long lasting. So apparently no one throws the keyboard away just because switches are all wored out and too old..? :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8656 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 05:12:45 »

Gotcha.

Alright that's now more clear, they are very long lasting. So apparently no one throws the keyboard away just because switches are all wored out and too old..? :D

Most here would get the soldering iron out and replace a 50c switch themselves rather than throw the whole keyboard out!

It's quite feasible to replace individual switches as they reach the end of their lives.  Or if they become defective and die young.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8657 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 05:51:27 »
Just to add to the discussion here: The ratings mean that the switch will work after 50 million actuations, or rather that the contacts still work after that time. It doesn't say anything about how it feels.
For example you can be sure that the spring will be a lot lighter after 50 million actuations than one from a new switch. I have a few old Cherry boards with MX Blacks and some keys in the main areas are lighter than for example the F-row keys.
Another thing that is probably going to happen is that the stem will wear off a bit - this can make it smoother, but also reduce any tactility it has (that is of course not an issue for linear switches).

That said, since it's a slow, progressive change you will probably not feel it unless you compare it to a new board and it will still take a lot of time until the switch feel significantly changes.

Offline Kblavkalash

« Reply #8658 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 05:57:40 »
Just to add to the discussion here: The ratings mean that the switch will work after 50 million actuations, or rather that the contacts still work after that time. It doesn't say anything about how it feels.
For example you can be sure that the spring will be a lot lighter after 50 million actuations than one from a new switch. I have a few old Cherry boards with MX Blacks and some keys in the main areas are lighter than for example the F-row keys.
Another thing that is probably going to happen is that the stem will wear off a bit - this can make it smoother, but also reduce any tactility it has (that is of course not an issue for linear switches).

That said, since it's a slow, progressive change you will probably not feel it unless you compare it to a new board and it will still take a lot of time until the switch feel significantly changes.

Yeah actually I can definitely notice the difference when pressing  regular (A, S, D, etc) key on my Filco vs. rarely used ones like Pause or F12.

Offline Kblavkalash

« Reply #8659 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:10:36 »
Another question..

I want to buy this PBT blank white key cap set: http://www.banggood.com/PBT-87-Blank-White-Key-Caps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-p-84084.html

Is it going to fit my Filco or KBC poker 2? Are the keys have absolutely the same design?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8660 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:13:33 »
I want to buy this PBT blank white key cap set: http://www.banggood.com/PBT-87-Blank-White-Key-Caps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-p-84084.html

Is it going to fit my Filco or KBC poker 2? Are the keys have absolutely the same design?

Yes it should work perfectly fine.

Offline Kblavkalash

« Reply #8661 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:25:23 »

Yes it should work perfectly fine.

Okay, and what about those little plastic things on wider keys like space bar which I put into stabiliser? From pictures I can see the key caps are just plain without those plastic things. Or I can just remove them from my old key caps and put to new ones?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8662 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:29:43 »
Okay, and what about those little plastic things on wider keys like space bar which I put into stabiliser? From pictures I can see the key caps are just plain without those plastic things. Or I can just remove them from my old key caps and put to new ones?

Those plastic things you mean are Costar stabilizer inserts, you can pull them out of the old keycaps. Your Poker doesn't need them, it uses Cherry stabilizers.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #8663 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:40:59 »
Hoping the answer is simple...How do I program a 360C?

Offline Kblavkalash

« Reply #8664 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:42:12 »
Those plastic things you mean are Costar stabilizer inserts, you can pull them out of the old keycaps. Your Poker doesn't need them, it uses Cherry stabilizers.

Ahh so if some key caps I want to use for Filco I'll just pull them out of filco's key caps, and for Poker I don't even need them :) Thank you sir!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8665 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:55:18 »

Do you know what controller it uses? I couldn't really find anything.

Ahh so if some key caps I want to use for Filco I'll just pull them out of filco's key caps, and for Poker I don't even need them :) Thank you sir!

This video shows how to remove the inserts in case you're having any trouble with it:

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #8666 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 08:00:52 »

Do you know what controller it uses? I couldn't really find anything.

It has an ATMEGA16A PU 1347.  I have a firmware file but can't seem to get it to connect to AVR Studio.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8667 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 09:53:43 »
http://www.otd.kr/gn/wiki/Aikon

There you go infiniti^
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8668 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 12:47:26 »
are ducky shine zero tkl cherry stabs pre clipped or not? Friend is getting one from mk.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #8669 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:04:53 »
are ducky shine zero tkl cherry stabs pre clipped or not? Friend is getting one from mk.

Is this a serious question? as in are the stabilizers preclipped?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8670 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:16:35 »

At one point, Laffindude had suggested that the Shine 3's were pre-clipped. I'm not sure about Zeros. When I was typing on one I modded, it didn't feel like they were.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #8671 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:38:08 »
My Mini, G2Pro and Shine 3 didn't have clipped stablizers at least.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #8672 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:26:04 »
I have a keycool 84 with brown kailh switches and they feel super mushy.  Am I imagining this or has someone experienced something similar? Thought kailh and cherry mx were supposed to be pretty similar.  Comparing to my Filco brown tenkeypad they feel horrible.

edit: also, the spacebar is super rattly, is this normal on this board?
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:30:14 by asgeirtj »
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8673 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 15:54:14 »
sounds normal to me

kalih and mx feel nothing alike, i don't know where you read that
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #8674 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:05:22 »
Does either the Realforce 87U or Leopold fc660c have volume controls and will they work on a mac?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8675 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:07:46 »
Does either the Realforce 87U or Leopold fc660c have volume controls and will they work on a mac?

no and no
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8676 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:33:23 »

F10-F12 work fine as volume control on my FC660C. I think I have keymap4mac (I think is what it is called) installed though.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8677 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:53:51 »
Where can I get a US mail proxy? I can't seem to find this one item in Canada and I need it shipped to someone in the US then up here.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #8678 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 16:00:25 »
Where can I get a US mail proxy? I can't seem to find this one item in Canada and I need it shipped to someone in the US then up here.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37277.0
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8679 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:18:07 »
When will someone make an 1800 PCB (like the leeku) but with pre soldered SMD's? :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8680 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:53:42 »
When will someone make an 1800 PCB (like the leeku) but with pre soldered SMD's? :D
When you pay someone to do the smd work for you. ;)
Or you can ask a friendly GHer to help you out.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8681 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:59:39 »

Knew you would say that, lol. I need to find a leeku and send it off to someone I guess.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8682 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 20:25:23 »

Knew you would say that, lol. I need to find a leeku and send it off to someone I guess.

I'm pretty sure it does through hole too.  I just got one and I've been debating trying to do SMD or doing through hole.  If I do through hole, I may pop the diode out of the switch and bend the diode so that it doesn't cover the LED holes and I can still do LEDs as well.

On that matter, is there any good documentation on the Leeku anywhere so I can make sure I do things the right way with it?

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8683 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 21:07:09 »
Quick check - long lead of LED is positive and short is negative correct? And square pads are negative while circles are positive...?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8684 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 21:17:04 »
Quick check - long lead of LED is positive and short is negative correct? And square pads are negative while circles are positive...?

Legs: Yes, long is (+), short is (-)...
Holes: On my Sprit PCB I have a different circle vs square config...

Edit: and from the OP http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.8650#post_BBB

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #8685 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 21:52:45 »
Anyone know if KBT Pures are still being made? I think I want to buy one with orange LEDs and MX Reds. So sexy, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8686 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:18:25 »
Hm. The OP doesn't really explain any more about determining polarity on PCB, most likely because I'm assuming most PCB's are unique? Is there a better way to determine polarity besides soldering in the LEDs and hoping they work and resoldering them the other way around if they don't work? I don't have access to a multimeter.

On a related note, is desoldering and resoldering LEDs simple? It seems like all you would need to do is desolder the legs and then just pull the LED out without desoldering anything else.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8687 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:25:23 »
Hm. The OP doesn't really explain any more about determining polarity on PCB, most likely because I'm assuming most PCB's are unique? Is there a better way to determine polarity besides soldering in the LEDs and hoping they work and resoldering them the other way around if they don't work? I don't have access to a multimeter.

On a related note, is desoldering and resoldering LEDs simple? It seems like all you would need to do is desolder the legs and then just pull the LED out without desoldering anything else.

It may depend on the PCB, I would expect that to be somewhat standard, but I don't know that at all.  What PCB do you have?  I am sure someone has one and knows the answers.

Another option would be to install/solder SIP sockets.  Then if you are wrong about your LEDs you can just pull them out and turn them around.  An option anyway...  If you use SIP sockets, be sure to put an LED in them before you solder them on so the spacing is right.

You can check my build log to see what I am talking about: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58969.msg1349714#msg1349714

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8688 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:49:50 »

Before you solder in the LED, plug the PCB into your PC and activate the backlighting. Then touch the legs of the LED to the pads. It will only light in one orientation. Then just remember which leg goes to which hole.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8689 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:51:58 »

Before you solder in the LED, plug the PCB into your PC and activate the backlighting. Then touch the legs of the LED to the pads. It will only light in one orientation. Then just remember which leg goes to which hole.

Does this assume that there is a firmware flashed to the board already? 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8690 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:52:43 »

Of course. You always want to solder the LEDs as the very last step. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8691 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 23:21:43 »

Of course. You always want to solder the LEDs as the very last step. :)

Cool. Thanks for confirming. :)

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8692 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 23:26:44 »

On a similar note, what is the easiest method of programing the GHpad? It has 4 extra buttons above the numpad, and has a mega32u4 soldered on already. Is Metalliqaz's good? (It requires starting the keyboard in bootloader mode, and I'm not sure how to do that on the GHpad).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8693 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 23:47:22 »

1) On a similar note, what is the easiest method of programing the GHpad? Is Metalliqaz's good?

2) It requires starting the keyboard in bootloader mode, and I'm not sure how to do that on the GHpad.

1) I like metalliqaz's firmware thingy.

2) I'm not sure, I bet it's holding escape while plugging in the pad though.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8694 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 23:49:00 »

1) On a similar note, what is the easiest method of programing the GHpad? Is Metalliqaz's good?

2) It requires starting the keyboard in bootloader mode, and I'm not sure how to do that on the GHpad.

1) I like metalliqaz's firmware thingy.

2) I'm not sure, I bet it's holding escape while plugging in the pad though.

1. +1 to metalliqaz's firmware, best thing ever
2. I'm also not sure, but I'm placing my bets on that there is some pads you have to short

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8695 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 04:32:24 »

On a similar note, what is the easiest method of programing the GHpad? It has 4 extra buttons above the numpad, and has a mega32u4 soldered on already. Is Metalliqaz's good? (It requires starting the keyboard in bootloader mode, and I'm not sure how to do that on the GHpad).

Does it not have a button on the back? You would press that while it's connected to the PC to enter the boot loader.

in memoriam

Offline combataran

« Reply #8696 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 05:10:38 »
What caps are these?

Und

Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8697 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 05:17:32 »
Why does the semicolon take precedence over the colon, when the only time the semicolon ever gets used is when people meant to hit the colon key but missed the shift key. Same goes for the backslash. **** you backslash, question mark is far more loved and useful then you'll ever be. Stop being a glutton for top billing!
Also, why does no one ever notice when I use a minus instead of a hyphen? In fact, why don't they simply do away with the hyphen and just make it a minus key because the entire planet doesn't notice nor do they care.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8698 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 06:10:44 »
What caps are these?

Show Image

Und

Show Image

Look like some from the Apple Extended Keyboards (would make sense since some of them use Alps).

Offline combataran

« Reply #8699 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 06:32:06 »

What caps are these?

Show Image

Und

Show Image

Look like some from the Apple Extended Keyboards (would make sense since some of them use Alps).
Danke.
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database