Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555356 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8700 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 07:36:29 »
What caps are these?

Show Image

Und

Show Image

Look like some from the Apple Extended Keyboards (would make sense since some of them use Alps).
Looks like a mix of SGI Granite and AEK caps. That's definitely a Duck Mini v2 with Alps switches.
Why does the semicolon take precedence over the colon, when the only time the semicolon ever gets used is when people meant to hit the colon key but missed the shift key. Same goes for the backslash. **** you backslash, question mark is far more loved and useful then you'll ever be. Stop being a glutton for top billing!
Also, why does no one ever notice when I use a minus instead of a hyphen? In fact, why don't they simply do away with the hyphen and just make it a minus key because the entire planet doesn't notice nor do they care.
The mysteries of your typing style and how people interpret them...:))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8701 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 10:11:30 »
Why does the semicolon take precedence over the colon, when the only time the semicolon ever gets used is when people meant to hit the colon key but missed the shift key. Same goes for the backslash. **** you backslash, question mark is far more loved and useful then you'll ever be. Stop being a glutton for top billing!
Also, why does no one ever notice when I use a minus instead of a hyphen? In fact, why don't they simply do away with the hyphen and just make it a minus key because the entire planet doesn't notice nor do they care.

The semicolon key exists because it is a useful key; it's not my fault no one knows how to use it.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8702 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 10:17:59 »
The semicolon has its uses in English grammar. However, if you ever program in C, Java, etc you will learn that you must place a semicolon at the end of (almost) every line. It is a useful key :P

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8703 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 13:07:34 »

Developers use those keys a lot more often.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8704 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 15:56:59 »
when we use the name of a keyboard's brand, what are we referring to exactly? say, i open up a GON, take all the internals out and put it into a LZ or KMAC case. is it henceforth referred to as a GON keyboard still?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8705 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 16:48:38 »

when we use the name of a keyboard's brand, what are we referring to exactly? say, i open up a GON, take all the internals out and put it into a LZ or KMAC case. is it henceforth referred to as a GON keyboard still?

If you swap then you've got a frankenboard. It's the keyboard as a whole in my eyes. Does the A87 or whatever pcb the GON boards use fit into an LZ or KMAC? I didn't think that could happen.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8706 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 17:04:39 »
probably not, i just used it as an example. the question occurred to me after i recalled a post where someone was selling their *keyboard name* inside a Filco housing. probably a Phantom, come to think of it, which makes perfect sense now

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8707 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 17:10:21 »
What's the accepted standard stab system for custom alps boards?

How common are alps with an extra slit on the inside like:

Also want to confirm that SP does not sell any sort of alps in their warehouse

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8708 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 17:58:52 »
The semicolon has its uses in English grammar. However, if you ever program in C, Java, etc you will learn that you must place a semicolon at the end of (almost) every line. It is a useful key :P

The only reason semicolon took precedence for programming is because it's paying off shift to hold down colon.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8709 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 18:16:37 »
What's the accepted standard stab system for custom alps boards?

How common are alps with an extra slit on the inside like:
Show Image

Also want to confirm that SP does not sell any sort of alps in their warehouse

1. It varies widely. Most common are the type seen here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45483.msg1364703#msg1364703

2. Those don't seem to be very common.

3. SP definitely makes 1-unit Alps keycaps. They were willing to do a full set for me, until I mentioned the stabilizer holes for 2.00+ unit keycaps. Then things got all wonky. I don't know that they list any in their inventory, but it doesn't seem so. Matias is planning on making keycaps available to the community.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8710 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 18:59:12 »
are there any guides to buying LEDs? i'm looking for something like this:

and don't have the slightest clue where to start, as well as other 'specs' i need to take to take into account

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8711 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 19:15:21 »

The only reason semicolon took precedence for programming is because it's paying off shift to hold down colon.

I started thinking about this.

In Delphi you put ; at the end of most lines, and use : frequently in variable assignment - slight balance in favour of ;

In C you put ; at the end of most lines, and don't make as much use of : - another language in favour of ;

In Python you rarely use; at all, but use : a lot - definitely in favour of :

In BASIC (yes, I know) used to use : to separate multiple statements on one line, didn't use ; much - an (old) language in favour of :

In technical writing, I'd probably use : slightly more than ; - slightly in favour of :

So for me it probably about balances out.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8712 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 19:31:44 »

Haha. I see what you did there. If you are enlighten enough to use python, then colon is king. :)

Offline divito

« Reply #8713 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 23:00:58 »
Colon requires an extra key press. Always in favor of ; and languages that use it.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8714 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 23:07:25 »
are there any guides to buying LEDs? i'm looking for something like this:

Show Image

and don't have the slightest clue where to start, as well as other 'specs' i need to take to take into account
most people buy theirs from chinese eBay sellers.

as to what specs to take into account, that can be an extremely complicated answer, with power requirements, brightness levels, forward voltage drop etc etc.

In practise, most any LED you put in a keyboard that has resistors already soldered will work. The worst-case scenario is usually that it wont be very bright.

Teal LEDs like that are usually either white LEDs that are tinted or a semiconductor that actually emits teal. Both should be in the higher range of voltage drops and won't flow as much current as (say) a red LED. But it's brighter at less current, so it evens out relatively well.

It's beyond the scope of this thread, but if you give us some specifics on what kind of LED you're after and what sort of KB you're putting it into, we can help you out more specifically, but usually it'll just work.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #8715 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 11:05:07 »
Any tips on removing the ribbon cable on an HHKB? Have searched but can't find any so I must be the only one dumb enough having troubles doing it!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8716 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:01:32 »
Can vintage blues from a dolch be mounted on a plate?

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8717 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:10:55 »
Any tips on removing the ribbon cable on an HHKB? Have searched but can't find any so I must be the only one dumb enough having troubles doing it!

I wouldn't pull on the wires - it might hurt/break them. I haven't had mine connected to the original controller so I can't remember exactly what I did. But I would grab the little nubs on both sides and wiggle as you pull backwards. Maybe try pushing on the left side, then right, and alternate. I believe the connector will be looser after you have removed it before.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #8718 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:14:27 »

I wouldn't pull on the wires - it might hurt/break them. I haven't had mine connected to the original controller so I can't remember exactly what I did. But I would grab the little nubs on both sides and wiggle as you pull backwards. Maybe try pushing on the left side, then right, and alternate. I believe the connector will be looser after you have removed it before.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I have been trying to do it as you said, but didn't want to be unnecessarily forceful and find out there was some special trick to it! Guess I need to be a little more forceful than I have been though  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8719 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:17:17 »

This page has a few comments - you've probably tried that though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8720 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:01:29 »

Every Cherry MX switch can be plate mounted. You might have to clip the PCB legs if your PCB hasn't got the holes for them.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8721 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:08:25 »

Every Cherry MX switch can be plate mounted. You might have to clip the PCB legs if your PCB hasn't got the holes for them.

Nice, thank you.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #8722 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:56:12 »

This page has a few comments - you've probably tried that though.

Thanks a lot, I hadn't seen that.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 June 2014, 11:41:18 by b7ad »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8723 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 17:11:15 »
dorkvader: thank you, but i'm actually just looking to acquire more knowledge about the construction of a keyboard, whilst figuring out the ideal board for myself at the same time. i don't specifically know what i want yet so you can't help me even if you want to :D

edit: if it's not against the rules, can you link me to some of those ebay sellers?
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 June 2014, 17:17:03 by whentheclouds »

Offline combataran

« Reply #8724 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 18:59:45 »
Do I need a proxy to order directly from kbdmod.com?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8725 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 19:44:44 »
Yes

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #8726 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 22:36:29 »
Yes

I have been wondering this also.  Is there any particular proxy that you could recommend?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8727 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 22:57:20 »

Is there any particular proxy that you could recommend?

Unfortunately i don't know of any Korean proxys. I was trying to buy from that site myself at one point and couldn't find someone to help me out.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8728 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 16:40:39 »

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #8729 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 16:57:55 »
When lubing an HHKB, is it necessary to pop out all the sliders so that you can lube the rails right the way down or is it OK to lube them with the sliders still in? Don't want to remove them all if it's not worth it!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8730 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 17:48:25 »
When lubing an HHKB, is it necessary to pop out all the sliders so that you can lube the rails right the way down or is it OK to lube them with the sliders still in? Don't want to remove them all if it's not worth it!

I'd do it sliders out.

Can somebody weight this case? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271529923411#shpCntId

IIRC it's about .67lbs
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #8731 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 17:55:25 »
Does anyone know where I can get a cherry sticker?

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8732 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 18:08:15 »
Would say it's easier to swap switches or swap LEDs on a plate mounted keyboard? (example: If I wanted a Shine 3 with red switches and white LED, but could only find a red switch other colored LED, or white LED with other switch, which would be easier to convert into a Shine 3 with red switches and white LEDs, disregarding cost of switches/LED?)

Would the size of the resistor pose a problem in swapping LEDs?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8733 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 18:53:10 »
They both suck

I'd say LEDs, since you have to take out the LED anyway to change the switch
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8734 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 19:35:06 »
They both suck

If you use a soldapullt, yes :p

I guess it's easier to just get a keyboard that you like or build one rather than modify a stock one eh?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8735 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 21:05:19 »
yep

although building it different, since it's only one way

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8736 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 21:19:04 »
Does anyone know where I can get a cherry sticker?

From the classifieds or free thread. They're were sold by Shadovved who is busy now.

1) Would say it's easier to swap switches or swap LEDs on a plate mounted keyboard?

2) Would the size of the resistor pose a problem in swapping LEDs?

1) I would say if you're using a soldapult, switches are easier to swap. But you would have to desolder both switches and leds to do either swap anyways.

2) I've never had an issue swapping leds. Ive never calculated anything. Just swapped them out. YMMV of course.

Can somebody weight this case? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271529923411#shpCntId

It's definitely under a pound but I never took an actual measurement.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8737 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 08:32:00 »
what is the proper name for this type of caps lock? i've seen them referred to as center-stem, off-stem and stepped, which is the most correct?

also, are there anyone here who swapped the positions of their CTRL and caps lock? i'm curious if it was hard to accomplish and whether the new placement is better than the standard

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #8738 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 08:43:17 »
what is the proper name for this type of caps lock? i've seen them referred to as center-stem, off-stem and stepped, which is the most correct?

Show Image

also, are there anyone here who swapped the positions of their CTRL and caps lock? i'm curious if it was hard to accomplish and whether the new placement is better than the standard

My understanding:

There are really two things that vary: center-stem or offset, and full-touch or stepped. Most stepped caps locks have an offset stem, but some of them are center-stemmed (usually from GB sets for people with e.g. a Filco but who prefer the look of a stepped caps lock). So what you posted is definitely stepped, and is likely offset.

To answer your second question, yes, people swap ctrl and caps. No, it's not hard to accomplish (using software). And yes, many believe the new placement is better.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8739 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 08:53:04 »
very succinct distinction, thank you. about my second question, do 1.25 Caps Lock even exist? or do people improvise with blank caps and such?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8740 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 08:56:34 »
1. what is the proper name for this type of caps lock? i've seen them referred to as center-stem, off-stem and stepped, which is the most correct?

Show Image

2. also, are there anyone here who swapped the positions of their CTRL and caps lock? i'm curious if it was hard to accomplish and whether the new placement is better than the standard

1. If the key has a step like in the picture you posted, it's called stepped, if not, fulltouch. Center-stem/off-center-stem refers to the position of the stem of the keycap, which is relevant when you want to put it on your board.
Since stock caps usually use a fulltouch caps lock key, the switch is in the center of the cap and you will need a fulltouch caps lock key or a center stemmed stepped caps lock key.
If you have a set that comes with an off-center stepped caps lock key, which has the stem in the center of the high part of the cap, it won't fit on most modern stock keyboards.

Here's some pictures that should make things more clear: Off center stepped caps lock, center stemmed fulltouch caps lock

2. Some sets have them, I think some Realforce boards include replacements with their boards, too. I think many people don't mind if the legends are wrong.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #8741 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 09:33:08 »
very succinct distinction, thank you. about my second question, do 1.25 Caps Lock even exist? or do people improvise with blank caps and such?

Most often people just ignore the legends and remember the difference. Group buys occasionally include an add-on pack that replaces ctrl and caps.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8742 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 09:38:49 »
thanks to both of you! even if they exist, center-stemmed, stepped key and off-center stemmed, full touch key just seem so unnatural to me. must be quite the hassle to produce. about the ctrl/capslock swap, i'm surprised having the incorrect legends on keys doesn't drive people insane. not too far-fetched a notion, considering we're having this discussion on a forum for keyboard enthusiasts/perfectionists :) can't tolerate it myself, but maybe it's just my OCD talking

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #8743 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 09:42:03 »

thanks to both of you! even if they exist, center-stemmed, stepped key and off-center stemmed, full touch key just seem so unnatural to me. must be quite the hassle to produce. about the ctrl/capslock swap, i'm surprised having the incorrect legends on keys doesn't drive people insane. not too far-fetched a notion, considering we're having this discussion on a forum for keyboard enthusiasts/perfectionists :) can't tolerate it myself, but maybe it's just my OCD talking

I touch-type. If anything, it's funny to watch people flounder when they use my keyboard.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8744 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 09:46:39 »
doesn't take a touch typist to memorize the location of capslock/ctrl, heh. and you're too kind, i'd never let filthy peasants get their grubby hands on my aluminum housing and GMK caps

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8745 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 11:10:29 »
having troubles with a solder sucker on sucking solder off leds. any tips?

my solder joint is whitish instead of silverish after the solder dries. will the switch work?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8746 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 11:17:26 »
1. having troubles with a solder sucker on sucking solder off leds. any tips?

2. my solder joint is whitish instead of silverish after the solder dries. will the switch work?

1. Add more solder if there is only a tiny rest of solder.

2. What solder are you using?
The white colour might come from moving parts while the solder cools down or it might be a cold joint, meaning that the soldering iron was too cold during soldering. Both can be fixed by simply reheating the joint with the iron (if you don't do that, the joint might work for now but can fail later).

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8747 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 11:19:07 »
having troubles with a solder sucker on sucking solder off leds. any tips?

my solder joint is whitish instead of silverish after the solder dries. will the switch work?

Add more solder and try to suck it again.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #8748 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 15:59:51 »
I want to buy blank PBT keycaps for my keyboard. Is any difference in quality between keycool and ducky? I found that keycool cost cheaper with shipping to my country.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 July 2014, 16:02:07 by Vitaly »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8749 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 17:03:18 »
I want to buy blank PBT keycaps for my keyboard. Is any difference in quality between keycool and ducky? I found that keycool cost cheaper with shipping to my country.

What exact sets are you thinking about buying? Afaik Ducky has thick and thin PBT and I'm not sure about Keycool right now. Usually thick PBT is considered better.