Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554055 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10300 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:44:21 »
Thanks for the explanations, much appreciated.

That brings up the question, did I mess up majorly? Are PCB stabs significantly better than plate mounted ones?

Where to buy PCB mounted ones? :(

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10301 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:46:06 »
1) Are PCB stabs significantly better than plate mounted ones?

2) Where to buy PCB mounted ones?

1) FWIW, I prefer Cherry PCB stabilizers to plate. I've had plate mounted stabilizers come loose while typing on my Epsilon. Granted, they're not exactly seated correctly but it's still a pain.

2) I bought mine from Ivan's GB. Perhaps there will be extras floating around soon. I think Mouser no longer carries them. IMSTO and I believe GON has them but the shipping for just stabilizers is a bit much.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10302 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:48:13 »
speaking of stabs, i only recently found out about clipping Cherry stabs so they feel like Costar but still retain the ability to quick swap modifiers. is this worth the effort?

Absolutely.  It takes about 5 minutes (over-estimation) to do an entire set for a keyboard and the results are positive.  In the grand scheme of things (an entire keyboard build) it is totally worth it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10303 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:50:01 »
Absolutely.  It takes about 5 minutes (over-estimation) to do an entire set for a keyboard and the results are positive.  In the grand scheme of things (an entire keyboard build) it is totally worth it.

Agreed. In all honesty, I would rather clip my stabilizers than to sticker my switches. I feel the time invested into clipping stabilizers enhances my boards much more than stickers do. Stickers are larger time investment for minimal return in my opinion. I've done this for a few boards: Swap springs, lube stems/housing, clip stabilizers, and laughed at stickers.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #10304 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:15:20 »
i heard 'clipping' and assumed it was a tedious process. looked up an youtube vid and positively surprised to see how wrong i was. another question: exactly which parts are lube-able? e.g. i didn't know springs can be lubed until i read about it on Gon's site, though you need a different type of lubricant for them

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10305 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:20:25 »
another question: exactly which parts are lube-able? e.g. i didn't know springs can be lubed until i read about it on Gon's site, though you need a different type of lubricant for them

Generally that any part that slides and could cause friction. You can lube the both ends of springs as when you push on a spring, the ends rotate.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10306 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:21:10 »
Exactly which parts are lube-able?

The parts that will feel different went lubed: Stem, Housing, Spring. You're welcome to lube other parts of your keyboard but they might not have the same feeling or the feeling you want :)).

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10307 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:27:02 »
Another stab question!

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/stabilizers/90-wire-for-spacebar-stabilizers.html

Why do GON make these? Would they be similar to taking the wire from a plate mounted 7u or 6.25u stab for use with a PCB mounted stab?

What is the purpose?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10308 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:29:11 »
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/stabilizers/90-wire-for-spacebar-stabilizers.html

Why do GON make these?

Those are Cherry 6.25x and 7x PCB mount stabilizer wires which will work with a plate. If you're harvesting or you order from say Mouser, you won't get 6.25x or 7x wire. So you're stuck with the little housings but no wire to use. Or sometimes you get the bent, Costar-esque wire which will bind against the plate when the switch is actuated.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:31:29 by CPTBadAss »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #10309 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:36:13 »
thanks Bluebar and Cpt. turns out there was already a comprehensive guide on lubing written by MagicMeatball, but i could only find it thanks to Google. forum search = meh. and speaking of forum issues, it's quite amusing to see a new topic appear two or three, maybe even four times

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10310 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:40:52 »
But i could only find it thanks to Google. forum search = meh.

Many of my answers here are found through Google searching. And all of my searching is done through Google. "Site:Geekhack.org" is the best way to search GH in my opinion. I point this out in the OP as well.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #10311 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 14:03:28 »
ugh i was just too lazy to set up a custom search engine for this site through google. gonna do that now

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10312 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:25:10 »
On the topic of clipping stabilizers, can you remove PCB mount stabs after the switches are soldered to the plate or would it require desoldering them all?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10313 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:30:00 »
On the topic of clipping stabilizers, can you remove PCB mount stabs after the switches are soldered to the plate or would it require desoldering them all?
Desolder, unfortunately :/

EDIT: If the hole is large enough then you can remove it by just desoldering that one switch. This is rarely the case though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:35:08 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10314 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:30:16 »
It depends on the hole in the plate.  If it is a large rectangle then you might be able to do it with only desoldering the one switch.  If you are using plate mount then you only need to desolder the one switch.  For the record, the only plate I have seen that will allow removing just the one switch for PCB mount would the the spacebar on WYSE terminal boards. 

The reason is the base of the PCB mount stabilizer is to big to fit through plate mount holes.  So you have to install PCB mount stabs before any switches get soldered to the PCB.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10315 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:36:42 »
How can I find a 1800 for their thick PBT caps? Not sure what models for look for.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10316 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 20:59:27 »
How can I find a 1800 for their thick PBT caps? Not sure what models for look for.
Check out this link: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #10317 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 07:46:32 »
Does being a Type-S affect typing feel to any noticeable degree?  I'm trying to figure out if the less "crisp" feeling I get from my HHKB Type-S vs the realforce is entirely due to plastic vs metal or if the silenced nature adds to that and I'd be happier with a normal HHKB.  And would swapping out to 55g domes help?  My thought is the greater initial resistance would lead to a more satisfying collapse and kind of simulate the feeling.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10318 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 07:57:56 »
Does being a Type-S affect typing feel to any noticeable degree?  I'm trying to figure out if the less "crisp" feeling I get from my HHKB Type-S vs the realforce is entirely due to plastic vs metal or if the silenced nature adds to that and I'd be happier with a normal HHKB.  And would swapping out to 55g domes help?  My thought is the greater initial resistance would lead to a more satisfying collapse and kind of simulate the feeling.
The difference between a regular HHKB and a Type-s, aside from the silencing rings in the type-s, is the stems being slightly taller to compensate for the lack of travel.  I only had limited time with a type-s, but I can't remember it feeling too different from a normal hhkb.  Adding 55g domes would definitely give it more snappiness, a number of people around here have done a dome swap with their hhkb's and have been very satisfied with the results.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:16:24 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #10319 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:13:50 »
I see, thanks.  And for selling the harvested board, would it be best to swap out 60 of the main 61 keys of the 55g board for the 60 of the HHKB (leaving I guess the spacebar, the F row, arrows and other clusters as 55g), or should I leave the qwerty keys as 55g and take basically everything else (minus the spacebar again I guess)?  I can see the argument for main cluster consistency of the first method but the allure of still "basically" being a 55g board for the second.

Or am I overthinking it because the only person who will buy it will be harvesting themselves and won't care?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10320 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:14:57 »
Or am I overthinking it because the only person who will buy it will be harvesting themselves and won't care?

I think if you're going to do a swap, swap all the domes.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10321 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:27:49 »
what kibord have staggering like tipro 122 futura? :)
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #10322 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:28:47 »
Hmm, I guess I could actually get my work board in the mix and turn that into the hybrid, making the HHKB 55g, the 87U 45g uniform and then my 104UB some combo that I could decide on.  That'd make the most sense, now that I think about it.  Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10323 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:29:12 »

Other Tipro POS boards, there's that new board from reddit that is a 40% that has that layout, I think there are other POS boards too but you'll have to do some digging for. Oh and that IBM 50 key.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10324 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:33:31 »

Other Tipro POS boards, there's that new board from reddit that is a 40% that has that layout, I think there are other POS boards too but you'll have to do some digging for. Oh and that IBM 50 key.
like this? :)

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10325 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:34:59 »
Show Image

The WEY boards, any financial keyboard will have a layout similar to that. There's a few Alps boards I've seen like that. And that looks like a POS board so do some hunting of Tipros and other POS keyboards.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10326 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:36:49 »
Show Image

The WEY boards, any financial keyboard will have a layout similar to that. There's a few Alps boards I've seen like that. And that looks like a POS board so do some hunting of Tipros and other POS keyboards.
[/quote :thumb:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10327 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:43:19 »

55g domes will make it a little more snappy but it will never be quite as snappy as the Realforce. That being said, I think it's still definitely worth it.

The only difference I noticed between the Type-S and regular HHKB was that the regular one was a little more smooth (I think this is because of the tighter fit between the sliders and the case on the type-s?). Otherwise the typing feel is very similar.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #10328 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:35:05 »
Does someone have a picture for the following.

1. Thick keycaps / Transparent switch cover / Reflective plate / Any LED color
2. Thick keycaps / Black switch cover / Reflective plate / Any LED color

I'm trying to decide if getting a transparent switch cover would make a difference given there is already a reflective plate, or the black switch cover would suffice given a reflective plate  is installed.

Thanks

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10329 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:31:29 »
Show Image

?
I saw those too. Soviet reed switches.

speaking of stabs, i only recently found out about clipping Cherry stabs so they feel like Costar but still retain the ability to quick swap modifiers. is this worth the effort?
only if you bottom out.
Show Image

the tipro has a 1.5 stagger on the middle row instead of 1.25 or whatever. I don't know of other keyboards that do that.

I'm trying to decide if getting a transparent switch cover would make a difference given there is already a reflective plate, or the black switch cover would suffice given a reflective plate  is installed.

Thanks
yeah I have that on my lightsaver and poker II pictures incoming. I don't see a difference.

for thick keycaps, i have imsto PBT which let a lot of light through (ideal backlit keycaps, IMO) and cherry blank POM which let no light throught. Do you want me to put GMK or cherry doubleshots on it as well?
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:37:45 by dorkvader »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10330 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:06:21 »

Thanks

Shouldn't make too much of a difference, but when DV takes pictures you can't stop him.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #10331 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 18:30:20 »
Is there anywhere I could get a 60% plate compatible with plate mount stabilizers?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10332 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 19:02:27 »
Is there anywhere I could get a 60% plate compatible with plate mount stabilizers?
I think I need a little clarification. By plate mount stabilizers, do you mean Cherry plate mount or Costar?

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #10333 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 20:25:35 »
yeah I have that on my lightsaver and poker II pictures incoming. I don't see a difference.

for thick keycaps, i have imsto PBT which let a lot of light through (ideal backlit keycaps, IMO) and cherry blank POM which let no light throught. Do you want me to put GMK or cherry doubleshots on it as well?

I think any thick keycap that wouldn't let light would suffice. What I plan to assemble is a Duck Viper and putting Dolch I get from Ivan.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #10334 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:28:05 »
Hmm, just thought about something.  Would having the keyboard sit on a mousepad instead of the desk mess with the feeling?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10335 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:30:48 »
Hmm, just thought about something.  Would having the keyboard sit on a mousepad instead of the desk mess with the feeling?

Not if it's super thick or soft. It could dampen the sound a bit though.

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #10336 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:38:59 »
I think I need a little clarification. By plate mount stabilizers, do you mean Cherry plate mount or Costar?
The kind that filco uses (I think Costar).

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10337 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:41:00 »

Filco uses Costar stabilizers. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any plates that are available and take Costar. Seems like most custom plates take Cherry.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10338 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:48:02 »
Would having the keyboard sit on a mousepad instead of the desk mess with the feeling?

Aha! Someone else who needs one of my mats!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.0
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #10339 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:52:36 »
Would having the keyboard sit on a mousepad instead of the desk mess with the feeling?

Aha! Someone else who needs one of my mats!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.0

Hah, I actually don't want the keyboard on a pad, it's just that I bought a desk-sized pad because I use really low sensitivity in games and it gives more room (so the board being on top is a side-effect, not a goal).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10340 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:57:51 »

I think the mousepads and mats change the feeling in subtle ways.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10341 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 15:00:15 »

Filco uses Costar stabilizers. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any plates that are available and take Costar. Seems like most custom plates take Cherry.

A lot of them will take both.  I think most of JD's designs take both (though he can confirm or deny), and I believe the GH60 plates take both.  The ability and drawing template should be out there somewhere.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10342 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 15:07:41 »
A lot of them will take both.  I think most of JD's designs take both (though he can confirm or deny), and I believe the GH60 plates take both.  The ability and drawing template should be out there somewhere.

If I recall correctly, they need a subtle cutout within the Cherry stabilizer slot in order to snap in. JD has a design that has that cutout but I cannot remember which exact plates have them and which don't.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10343 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 15:09:38 »

1. If I recall correctly, they need a subtle cutout within the Cherry stabilizer slot in order to snap in.
2. JD has a design that has that cutout but I cannot remember which exact plates have them and which don't.

1. That is true.
2. I think the JD40 does, and I think most of his other designs do. (can confirm later if he doesn't comment by then)

JD, we need you!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #10344 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 17:00:24 »
Has anyone made any CAD designs for converting Alps switches to MX stems (i.e. use MX keycaps on Alps switches)?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10345 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 17:03:36 »
Has anyone made any CAD designs for converting Alps switches to MX stems (i.e. use MX keycaps on Alps switches)?

Yes: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/cherry-to-alps-adapters-t4934.html
They didn't work so well iirc though.

Offline blueleorio

« Reply #10346 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 17:08:32 »
Which brand offer these keyboards with 75% , backlit, and Cherry mx?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10347 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 17:22:54 »

Don't think there's a stock board that fits this description besides the TG3 BL82. The cop car keyboards with and without the touch pads. Think they're also called Data 911 boards.

Mine is a TG3-BL82 (75% with MX Blacks and splashguard) with red backlighting. Mine was used. Don't think you can find a NIB one easily.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #10348 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 19:08:02 »

KBT Race II's - (We have one NIB White Case Imperfect Pink Keycap White LED Race I, Blue Cherry MX. PM if interested.)
Keycool 84's

Just to name a few...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10349 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 19:37:34 »
Any ideas where I can get pcb mount cherry stabs for 2unit?  Digikey and mouser are out.  I also ordered the last two from OC but I need some more.  The only other place I see them is Gon but thats for ~$27 shipping for $13 worth of stuff.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich