Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554820 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10600 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 23:38:09 »
2x3x4 is brighter and, IMO, has a better diffuse glow.  The 1.8mm has a weird heavy concentric glow with heavy falloff on the edges.  That said, both are nice, but it you want bright, 2x3x4 is the way to go.

And, for the record, I've used TA PBT, Cherry caps, and others with no issue with 2x3x4.  I think it's mainly Imsto that has issues with it.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely go with 2x3x4 ones then :P

Gotta have max glows + pair it up with clear switch tops!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10601 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 23:46:02 »
Use soarers on the XT or the BigFoot?  I was under the impression that it won't work on the bigfoot due to not having a controller on board.
edit: here
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48950.msg1224258#msg1224258

He says he got it working with soarers.

It does not have a controller on the board but does have a thing that helps to interpret the capacitive matrix, so it was easy for him to convert.

side note: the schematic of this KB was instrumental in figuring out how to make a capacitive controller for general model F use.

edit: note this is his KB controller code, not protocol converter code.

So essentially all I need for hardware is a teensy, some wire and a cable from teensy to PC then, correct?  Just wire it up, load the firmware and away I go.  Or is it a touch more involved than that?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10602 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 05:21:23 »
When desoldering plate mount Cherry MX switches, what's the best way to get the switches out without damaging the plate or switch housing?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SavvyBird

• Savvy Caps
« Reply #10603 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 05:22:13 »
Why is the hhkb called the "happy hacking" keyboard.
hi

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10604 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 06:16:02 »
When desoldering plate mount Cherry MX switches, what's the best way to get the switches out without damaging the plate or switch housing?

I flip the plate over and push out the switches with my thumbs.

That's what PFU and Wada decided to name it?

Offline KeyZero

• Lovin' clear keys
« Reply #10605 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:30:16 »
For the Poker II, is it possible to map arrow keys where Right Alt/Right Win/Menu/ Ctrl is and move caps lock around? I presume other buttons like media control on my V60 (Back/Play/Pause/Forward) can be mapped as well as Print Screen and other keys too? I see there's a certain key limit but I don't think I'll hit/need that for mapping but it's good to know.
KBV60 (Clear) User

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10606 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:33:34 »

To save thumbs I use a rubberized screwdriver (or other small tool) handle to push them out.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10607 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:49:24 »

To save thumbs I use a rubberized screwdriver (or other small tool) handle to push them out.

What about the little  plastic latches that hold the switches to the plate? Trying to pinch those in is going to scratch the top of the plate.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10608 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:53:41 »

What about the little  plastic latches that hold the switches to the plate? Trying to pinch those in is going to scratch the top of the plate.

It's just pressure fit and just pops out. I've never seen damage done to the top of the plate. Also depending on the plate some switches almost fall out on there own.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10609 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:58:56 »

As Ray mentioned, a lot of plates are thick enough that those latches don't actually snap in, but I know that GON notches his plates in the back to make the plate thinner and thus allow them to actually snap in.  He also makes a neat little tool that can be used to remove switches easily.  I suspect this is what you're looking for.  If you aren't buying a keyboard from him, shipping will be really expensive, so you may have to look into building your own or some other alternative.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10610 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:59:23 »

Pinch? You just push them out. It's a press fit. I doubt that plastic will scratch the plate and I've never scratched a plate like that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:03:26 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10611 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:02:25 »

As Ray mentioned, a lot of plates are thick enough that those latches don't actually snap in, but I know that GON notches his plates in the back to make the plate thinner and thus allow them to actually snap in.  He also makes a neat little tool that can be used to remove switches easily.  I suspect this is what you're looking for.  If you aren't buying a keyboard from him, shipping will be really expensive, so you may have to look into building your own or some other alternative.

Another thing to add to my list to buy one day, even though I doubt I need it. Thanks for the info Hoff, hadn't seen this before.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10612 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:09:42 »

Pinch? You just push them out. It's a press fit. I doubt that plastic will scratch the plate and I've never scratched a plate likt hat.

So once the switch is desoldered it will just slide out without having to push in those plastic latches on the top side of the plate?

After I desoldered the switches those little plastic clips still held the switches in pretty strong.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10613 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:11:55 »

Pinch? You just push them out. It's a press fit. I doubt that plastic will scratch the plate and I've never scratched a plate likt hat.

So once the switch is desoldered it will just slide out without having to push in those plastic latches on the top side of the plate?

After I desoldered the switches those little plastic clips still held the switches in pretty strong.

I've desoldered at least three boards with plates now? I desolder them, separate the plate/switches from the PCB, then push all the switches out by hand. I don't pinch or push anything in terms of the switches.

What plastic latches are you referring to on the plate? Can you take a picture?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10614 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:18:28 »

I've desoldered at least three boards with plates now? I desolder them, separate the plate/switches from the PCB, then push all the switches out by hand. I don't pinch or push anything in terms of the switches.

What plastic latches are you referring to on the plate? Can you take a picture?

Okay thanks.

I'm not separating the plate from the PCB. I'm trying to take them out one at a time right after a switch is desoldered.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hzza

« Reply #10615 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:29:18 »
I use an IC extractor (I think that's what the tool was called) to pull Cherry switches, using it to pop the tabs on the top/bottom of the switch and pull the switch out through the plate. I've used it on about 3 boards so far and not damaged a single plate (2x anodised Phantom plates and 1 stock Filco plate). I guess if you were worried about scratching the plate you could wrap the ends of the tool in masking tape or something? Or even mask the plate I guess.

The reason I don't poke them through the plate once the board has been desoldered anymore is that one time I put a screwdriver through the palm of my hand trying to get a particularly stubborn switch out...

edit - this is the tool I use
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ic-extraction-tool-fd54j
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:31:44 by Hzza »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10616 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 12:01:00 »
I use an IC extractor (I think that's what the tool was called) to pull Cherry switches, using it to pop the tabs on the top/bottom of the switch and pull the switch out through the plate. I've used it on about 3 boards so far and not damaged a single plate (2x anodised Phantom plates and 1 stock Filco plate). I guess if you were worried about scratching the plate you could wrap the ends of the tool in masking tape or something? Or even mask the plate I guess.

The reason I don't poke them through the plate once the board has been desoldered anymore is that one time I put a screwdriver through the palm of my hand trying to get a particularly stubborn switch out...

edit - this is the tool I use
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ic-extraction-tool-fd54j

I actually think I have some of those.

Thanks for the tip.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10617 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 12:08:31 »

I would love to hear back from you as to which method worked best for you. Just because I did it one way doesn't make that the ideal way. :)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10618 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 14:18:02 »

I would love to hear back from you as to which method worked best for you. Just because I did it one way doesn't make that the ideal way. :)

Okay, will do  :)
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #10619 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 14:24:55 »
Is it possible to replace costar stabilizers on a board with cherry stabilizers?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10620 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 14:36:15 »
Is it possible to replace costar stabilizers on a board with cherry stabilizers?

It might be a little hard. Jdcarpe has custom plates which have both the Costar and Cherry stabilizer holes. The Costar slots are a bit thinner and longer than the Cherry ones. If you could weld/epoxy enough material for the stabilizers to sit in, you might be able to do it. I'm leaning towards a probably not worth the time but it's definitely possible.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10621 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 02:58:19 »

Well I did happen to have an old IC extractor, and I have to say it was the easiest method for me. 

I just couldn't get the switches to pop out with out pressing those little plastic tabs that secure them to the plate.  I probably could have, but I didn't feel comfortable using that much force. 

Still ended up getting a few scratches on the top of the plate though.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10622 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 06:19:46 »
I just couldn't get the switches to pop out with out pressing those little plastic tabs that secure them to the plate.  I probably could have, but I didn't feel comfortable using that much force. 

Still ended up getting a few scratches on the top of the plate though.

I still don't understand what plastic tabs you're referring to. Did you happen to take a picture?

Offline Hzza

« Reply #10623 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 06:25:29 »
Above the "Cherry" logo and below the LED slot on the sides of the switch are 2 little plastic tabs that click into (I think) 1.6mm thick plates to hold the switches in place.

You can see the front one in that picture.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10624 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 06:31:12 »
Above the "Cherry" logo and below the LED slot on the sides of the switch are 2 little plastic tabs that click into (I think) 1.6mm thick plates to hold the switches in place.

You can see the front one in that picture.

Ohhh, you mean those little legs that you solder into the PCB?

Offline Hzza

« Reply #10625 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 07:11:38 »
Nope, circled.

82125-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10626 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 07:18:19 »
Nope, circled.

(Attachment Link)

Huh...I've never had a problem with those. That's interesting though. Thanks Hzza.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10627 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 07:52:07 »
Nope, circled.

(Attachment Link)

Huh...I've never had a problem with those. That's interesting though. Thanks Hzza.

As I said above, some plates are thick enough that those never actually snap around the plate, and it ends up being a "press fit" as you described.  On a plate slightly thinner (GON plates with the notches, for example), they will snap in and make it harder to get the switch out.  I would say that *most* custom plates that we order in steel and aluminum end up being on the thicker end, but that's conjecture / my experiences only.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10628 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 08:12:05 »
As I said above, some plates are thick enough that those never actually snap around the plate, and it ends up being a "press fit" as you described.  On a plate slightly thinner (GON plates with the notches, for example), they will snap in and make it harder to get the switch out.  I would say that *most* custom plates that we order in steel and aluminum end up being on the thicker end, but that's conjecture / my experiences only.

I know that you posted that but I didn't comprehend what exactly was being snapped in until Hzza posted the picture.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10629 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 08:13:37 »

I know that you posted that but I didn't comprehend what exactly was being snapped in until Hzza posted the picture.

This helped me understand what was going on

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10630 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 08:20:39 »
This helped me understand what was going on

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #10631 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 10:18:37 »
What is the advantage of a programmable keyboard?  I use autohotkey to change the function of some keys, seems good enough.  Only drawback I can think is that if I'm using my keyboard on another computer it's not already preconfigured.  So what is the draw of programmable keyboards?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10632 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 10:36:22 »
What is the advantage of a programmable keyboard?  I use autohotkey to change the function of some keys, seems good enough.  Only drawback I can think is that if I'm using my keyboard on another computer it's not already preconfigured.  So what is the draw of programmable keyboards?

I've never used Autohotkey myself but I think autohotkey doesn't have every function a programmable board could have. For example, I can setup multiple layers on my 6019284. Apparently, as I understand it, you cannot program function layers in Autohotkey?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10633 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 10:37:31 »
Only drawback I can think is that if I'm using my keyboard on another computer it's not already preconfigured.

That's exactly what the advantage is. You also don't need to run any other software in the background and often program LEDs which is kinda cool.

I've never used Autohotkey myself but I think autohotkey doesn't have every function a programmable board could have. For example, I can setup multiple layers on my 6019284. Apparently, as I understand it, you cannot program function layers in Autohotkey?

You can kind of. It works better on a hardware layer though.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10634 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 14:55:43 »
Nope, circled.

(Attachment Link)

Yep,  those things  :thumb:
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10635 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:20:17 »
Nope, circled.

(Attachment Link)

I had some issues with them on my QFR.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #10636 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:32:28 »
Anybody know what dimensions the bottom row of a Filco Minila is?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10637 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 21:17:58 »

1.75x -> 1.25x -> 1.25x -> 1.25x -> 3x -> 1.25x -> 1.25x -> 1x -> 1x -> 1x ->1x
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #10638 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 21:26:42 »

1.75x -> 1.25x -> 1.25x -> 1.25x -> 3x -> 1.25x -> 1.25x -> 1x -> 1x -> 1x ->1x
Gracias

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #10639 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 01:21:05 »
Does the color/profile/thickness of Ivan R2 match that of a IMSTO classic beige PBT set?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #10640 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 03:27:36 »
Can i get retail mx lock switches form anywhere?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10641 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:24:41 »
Does the color/profile/thickness of Ivan R2 match that of a IMSTO classic beige PBT set?

I honestly thought that imsto made those caps but I'm mistaken.

Can i get retail mx lock switches form anywhere?

I thought online-components had them for sale.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10642 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:30:17 »
Am I missing something?

Imsto did make Ivan's R2
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10643 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:32:08 »
Am I missing something?

Imsto did make Ivan's R2

Is that post referring to that R2 buy or another discussion within the thread? I only glanced through that page before posting and could have misunderstood. And thanks...I knew I wasn't going crazy.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10644 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:34:11 »
Is that post referring to that R2 buy or another discussion within the thread? I only glanced through that page before posting and could have misunderstood. And thanks...I knew I wasn't going crazy.
It's referring to requests for beige fulltouch caps locks made by imsto, I think.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10645 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:36:27 »
Am I missing something?

Imsto did make Ivan's R2

That discussion was about getting the correct color fulltouch capslock key re-ran/remade since they made it in the wrong color but the factory/imsto wasn't interested in doing it.

ninja'd by photekq but posting anyways as confirmation  8)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10646 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:36:52 »
It's referring to requests for beige fulltouch caps locks made by imsto, I think.

Ok. So then my initial gut thought is correct according to photekq. imsto made Ivan's R2 so it will match imsto's classic beige PBT set. Thanks photekq for confirming that I'm not crazy yet ;).

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10647 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:40:21 »
can i get cherry spring retail anywhere?
how make switch smooth not friction sst, can i use oil tamiya?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10648 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:42:37 »
1) can i get cherry spring retail anywhere?
2) how make switch smooth not friction sst,
3) can i use oil tamiya?

1) Just the spring? No.
2) A quick Google search yields:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59041.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.0
3) Can you use that specific oil? I don't know. But you can do an experiment and tell us what you think of it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:45:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10649 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:48:44 »
1) can i get cherry spring retail anywhere?
2) how make switch smooth not friction sst, can i use oil tamiya?

1) Just the spring? No.
2) A quick Google search yields:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59041.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.0
yes, why? what size spring cherry(dimension)?
 :thumb:
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"