Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554405 times)

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13450 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 05:49:31 »
What PS2 to USB converter should I buy?

I bought such a converter only once, but I'm pretty sure you gotta look for active converters, i.e. the one that actually translates you keyboard's signals from PS/2 to USB instead of just rewiring them. I used this small guide when I got mine: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184

Offline Bucake

« Reply #13451 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 06:04:38 »
can Alps SKCM Cream Damped somehow be mixed with Alps SKCL Green, to create dampened green alps..?

because i don't like the tactility of alps switches at all, but i do dig that mild dampening that the cream damped have...
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13452 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:32:42 »
Is there still no source for 55g Topre springs? Outside of other Topre keyboards, that is.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13453 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:52:24 »
Desoldered almost all switches off my v60, but it seems like there's still something that sticks top plate to the PCB. What could it be? Cherry-style stabilisers?

Could you take a picture?

I like the ones from TechKeys.us.

can Alps SKCM Cream Damped somehow be mixed with Alps SKCL Green, to create dampened green alps..?

because i don't like the tactility of alps switches at all, but i do dig that mild dampening that the cream damped have...

Yes. Or you could just remove the leaf that makes the cream Alps have the tactility. That would be much easier.

Is there still no source for 55g Topre springs? Outside of other Topre keyboards, that is.

Not that I know of, no.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #13454 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:56:41 »
Desoldered almost all switches off my v60, but it seems like there's still something that sticks top plate to the PCB. What could it be? Cherry-style stabilisers?

Wait, almost? If you haven't desoldered every single switch, the plate and PCB cannot separate...Or am I missing something?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13455 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 09:20:21 »

Do you mean 55g Topre domes?  The springs don't vary across the different weighted models, just the domes.  To answer the question, no.  :(

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13456 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 09:25:40 »
Whatever it is. As long as I can't change it there's no reason to learn how ☺

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13457 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 09:41:15 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #13458 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 09:46:05 »

Could you take a picture?

Sorry I have only one before desoldering, but I'll take another shot tomorrow

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #13459 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 11:23:37 »
Great guys. Thanks for supporting :thumb:

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #13460 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 15:55:18 »
I'm installing my zealios on a plate mounted board, it is a little hard to keep them on the plate while trying to push from under in order to make the nibs go into the pcb, I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong?  Is installing pcb mounted switches to a plate generally a hassle?  I think I might be better off just clipping them...
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13461 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 15:56:28 »
I'm installing my zealios on a plate mounted board, it is a little hard to keep them on the plate while trying to push from under in order to make the nibs go into the pcb, I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong?  Is installing pcb mounted switches to a plate generally a hassle?  I think I might be better off just clipping them...

What PCB are you using? Some PCB's have a slightly smaller hole for the legs and you have to use a little more force to get the gateron switches in.

Zeal's post about that

The plate arrived and I learned how to solder. Beautiful switches - a pleasure to work with. The new gateron mold for the tops is great (I've only had experience with the ones that had that catching issue). PCB mount pins are a bit tight on my FaceW but not a big deal. Only vexing issue I had was with the space bar switch which stuck a bit - bit of lube fixed it right up.

Great stuff, Zeal!

Show Image

Thanks for sharing! Winkeyless/Sprit PCBs have a slightly smaller PCB mount hole meant for Cherry switches, so that's why they feel tighter. On other boards with "standard" holes, they fit in perfectly snug.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 October 2015, 15:59:14 by SpAmRaY »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13462 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 19:55:46 »
What is the first artisan keycap?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13463 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 21:49:43 »

I guess that depends on your definition. You could argue that the old skull key from this is an artisan, which would completely change the answer.

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13464 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 21:55:55 »

I guess that depends on your definition. You could argue that the old skull key from this is an artisan, which would completely change the answer.

Show Image

I mean artisan keycaps like cc or bb, sorry for the confusion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13465 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 04:50:41 »

I have used these to successfully connect all sorts of keyboards to a Mac.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #13466 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:24:42 »
Yes. I bought one too. I'm waiting it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13467 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:56:57 »

Again, depends on your definition. I'm sure there were DIY projects where people made their own caps to fit projects kinda like what kurplop does on his boards. A DIY novelty cap though? I'd guess Clacks but I don't really know for sure.

Offline MrhandSlap

« Reply #13468 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:31:43 »
Does a left handed version of the MX 3.0 key exist? Or is there a way to make one ?

Key points of interest
- Mx Cherry Red switches
- No metal hinges, all switches
- Low profile keys
- Arrow keys and numpad on left side.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13469 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:41:22 »
Does a left handed version of the MX 3.0 key exist? Or is there a way to make one ?

Key points of interest
- Mx Cherry Red switches
- Low profile keys

The simple answer is No.

However almost anything is possible given enough interest and determination.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13470 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 18:32:02 »
Is there a list of keyboards that have Gateron Purple Zealio switches? Preferably anything under 100% size.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13471 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 18:45:03 »
Is there a list of keyboards that have Gateron Purple Zealio switches? Preferably anything under 100% size.
They're only offered as an aftermarket switch. They probably won't be included in any stock boards. I bet zeal will do bundles with customs like drhubblephd's board but nothing you could get from say mk.com

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13472 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:05:17 »
They're only offered as an aftermarket switch. They probably won't be included in any stock boards. I bet zeal will do bundles with customs like drhubblephd's board but nothing you could get from say mk.com

Alright. Thanks.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13473 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:34:20 »
What type of LEDs are the ones that go on to the MX Cherry switches and where can I buy them? I'm looking for white one's.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #13474 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:35:39 »
What type of LEDs are the ones that go on to the MX Cherry switches and where can I buy them? I'm looking for white one's.

Check FAQ in OP, there's plenty of info, reseller depends on your location.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13475 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:35:46 »

This question is covered in the OP.

Offline SamFlynn

• Location: From inside the hive, behind your eyes, and off the grid...into the Black.
  • Type until there is no need...
    • Firefly Online Forum
« Reply #13476 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 22:16:22 »

Key points of interest
- Mx Cherry Red switches
- Low profile keys

Full keyboard inversion. Brain remap for keyplace would be challenging, but the tricky part will be hitting the spacebar quickly while typing.  :p
<Press Any Key>

Offline Bucake

« Reply #13477 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 07:04:13 »

Yes. Or you could just remove the leaf that makes the cream Alps have the tactility. That would be much easier.

didn't realize that the leaf had no purpose besides offer tactility. i figured it also contributed to holding the switch together or something.. not really sure why i even thought so :D

thanks!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13478 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:17:20 »
I'm currently slowly but surely getting the stuff together for 5 60% keyboards. Work, Home, Extra and possibly two I'll end up either selling or giving away to friends. No idea how I ended up with parts for five keyboards on the way, it just happened that way...

Anywho, I don't have any of the PCBs yet, but I have three plates of two different makes, and one case, and neither of the plates will stick to the case due to the heads of the M2 screws being FAR smaller than the holes in the plates. From this I assume that I'm meant to screw the PCB to the case and just let the switches take care of making the plate and PCB stick together, which makes sense.

Am I making an ass out of u and i both, or is this how it's meant to be?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13479 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 14:46:22 »
Anywho, I don't have any of the PCBs yet, but I have three plates of two different makes, and one case, and neither of the plates will stick to the case due to the heads of the M2 screws being FAR smaller than the holes in the plates. From this I assume that I'm meant to screw the PCB to the case and just let the switches take care of making the plate and PCB stick together, which makes sense.

Am I making an ass out of u and i both, or is this how it's meant to be?

Yes you are correct.  You screw the PCB to the case which will then hold everything down since the plate will be attached to the PCB.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13480 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 14:47:24 »

Yes you are correct.  You screw the PCB to the case which will then hold everything down since the plate will be attached to the PCB.

Thanks. Then I don't need to look into getting M2 washers.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13481 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 14:52:22 »

Thanks. Then I don't need to look into getting M2 washers.

You can, but there is no need if the screws are holding the plate/pcb to the case securely.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13482 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 14:53:59 »
Well, that remains to be seen. Hopefully early next week 😊

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13483 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 14:57:56 »
Well, that remains to be seen. Hopefully early next week 😊

You should be fine with just the screws that come with the case.  I've never had to use washers with the screws that came with any of my 60% cases.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13484 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:04:32 »
http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/zealio
Are these switches for the PCB or for the plate?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13485 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:10:21 »
http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/zealio
Are these switches for the PCB or for the plate?

They're PCB mount. You can see the legs in this picture from that page.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #13486 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 14:50:14 »
http://www.bhiner.com/taobao-agent/521491671138

This is a enjoypbt set, anyone have experience with them?  I selected engraved black that's black on black right?  Are these as smooth as bsp?  Are these as good/smooth as ivan's pbt gb's which I gather are vortex?
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 14:52:17 by asgeirtj »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13487 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 15:26:43 »

This is a enjoypbt set, anyone have experience with them?  I selected engraved black that's black on black right?  Are these as smooth as bsp?  Are these as good/smooth as ivan's pbt gb's which I gather are vortex?

I have no experience with these but if they're engraved and not infilled, I don't seen how they'd feel as smooth as BSP.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #13488 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 15:36:14 »

I have no experience with these but if they're engraved and not infilled, I don't seen how they'd feel as smooth as BSP.

I was under the impression that they were dyesubbed, and this engraved thing was just an tabao translation engrish.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13489 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 15:45:26 »
I was under the impression that they were dyesubbed, and this engraved thing was just an tabao translation engrish.

I have no idea.

A quick search pops these threads up:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67302.msg1770914#msg1770914
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.msg1807434#msg1807434
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33130.msg1822643#msg1822643

If these posts are correct and they're caps made by Gateron, here's a review from infiniti:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71690.0

And here's some Gateron dyesub cap links that I found really fast:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74180.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74163.0

Again, I have no personal experience with the caps nor do I know what you bought.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 16:05:09 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13490 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 16:03:26 »
Has someone an archive of https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=4992.0 by any chance ?

lmao, cut the French some slack, they gave you a big statue

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13491 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 16:09:12 »
Has someone an archive of https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=4992.0 by any chance ?

I tried using Archive.org but it's not saved there :(.

Offline E3E

« Reply #13492 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 17:49:42 »
Is retrobrite harmful to PBT or Dye-sublimed ink? I'm wondering if it'd be a bad idea to retrobrite my Dell AT101 (US FCC ID) caps. Don't want to ruin anything.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13493 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 18:43:01 »
Is retrobrite harmful to PBT or Dye-sublimed ink? I'm wondering if it'd be a bad idea to retrobrite my Dell AT101 (US FCC ID) caps. Don't want to ruin anything.

I don't thing so, but then I don't know of any case where you would need to.  PBT doesn't yellow like ABS does.  Though II have been wrong before.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13494 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 18:47:41 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:08:46 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #13495 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:19:50 »

I don't thing so, but then I don't know of any case where you would need to.  PBT doesn't yellow like ABS does.  Though II have been wrong before.

I agree. My desko pbt is white vs. yellow abs in there.

Thank you, good sirs. Well, having retrobrited another set of (ABS) caps from a vintage board, they're a very bright, pretty white. My AEK and these AT101 caps aren't as white as they are.  It's not necessary though, but if it wouldn't hurt, then I'd give it a go. If these can brighten up the way ABS can, that'd be amazing, but this might just be the natural color.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13496 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:29:46 »
PBT doesn't yellow like ABS does.  Though I have been wrong before.

Are you sure that these are PBT? The vast majority of AT101s that I have owned (quite a few) had ABS.

The acetone test is the easy way to tell in 2 seconds.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline E3E

« Reply #13497 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:51:41 »
PBT doesn't yellow like ABS does.  Though I have been wrong before.

Are you sure that these are PBT? The vast majority of AT101s that I have owned (quite a few) had ABS.

The acetone test is the easy way to tell in 2 seconds.

Yes, they aren't nasty smoker yellowed, just not glaring white dwarf white. It's said that PBT can yellow, just not anywhere near as fast as ABS.

This is the original US-made AT101 with Salmon Alps, not the sort made by Silitek.  I just finished with an acetone test and the paint brush's laquer melted before anything on the cap did. No degradation at all.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:53:26 by E3E »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13498 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 21:40:27 »

Yes, they aren't nasty smoker yellowed, just not glaring white dwarf white.

My Dells have pearl/pebble-like coloring that is darker and duller than its IBM counterparts.

Let us know how it works. Retro-brite has always been unpredictable and hit-or-miss for me.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13499 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 21:44:38 »
This may be a stupid question, but here goes.  I see that other people have run polls, but I don't see how to do that.  Is it only Mods who can create polls or am I able to as well?

For my pm_search tool, I am curious how many people use labels for their PMs.  Ideally I would be able to create a poll in that thread to collect that info to better guide if that is actually a feature I should try to address in the tool.