Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555804 times)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13500 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 21:51:47 »
This may be a stupid question, but here goes.  I see that other people have run polls, but I don't see how to do that.  Is it only Mods who can create polls or am I able to as well?

For my pm_search tool, I am curious how many people use labels for their PMs.  Ideally I would be able to create a poll in that thread to collect that info to better guide if that is actually a feature I should try to address in the tool.

I use labels, but not sure how many others do.

The option to embed a poll is in a new topic post, but I don't think it is in a reply to existing post.

Edit: well now I'm confused or wrong, because the poll option is not there when I went to verify it. I really could have sworn it was there last time. :confused:
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 21:54:48 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13501 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 22:09:37 »
This may be a stupid question, but here goes.  I see that other people have run polls, but I don't see how to do that.  Is it only Mods who can create polls or am I able to as well?

For my pm_search tool, I am curious how many people use labels for their PMs.  Ideally I would be able to create a poll in that thread to collect that info to better guide if that is actually a feature I should try to address in the tool.

The option to embed a poll is in a new topic post, but I don't think it is in a reply to existing post.

Edit: well now I'm confused or wrong, because the poll option is not there when I went to verify it. I really could have sworn it was there last time. :confused:
Haha. Ya that's what happened to me too. :)

Offline Faeja

• more gg more skill
« Reply #13502 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 22:11:50 »
I can only find two places with the leopold fc750r, which are widebasket on ebay and mechanicalkeyboards. It's $170 from widebasket for a 750r with browns but it's only $114 on mechanicalkeyboards, catch is, mechanicalkeyboards doesn't have browns, only reds. The price difference and faster shipping is really making me think about just buying reds. Convince me pls D: I've tried reds and browns a long time ago and only vaguely remember their feel, does the brown's bump make that much of a difference when typing? I will use the keyboard for doing lots of homework and playing starcraft(rts).

Leopold FC750R

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13503 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 22:14:03 »
I can only find two places with the leopold fc750r, which are widebasket on ebay and mechanicalkeyboards. It's $170 from widebasket for a 750r with browns but it's only $114 on mechanicalkeyboards, catch is, mechanicalkeyboards doesn't have browns, only reds. The price difference and faster shipping is really making me think about just buying reds. Convince me pls D: I've tried reds and browns a long time ago and only vaguely remember their feel, does the brown's bump make that much of a difference when typing? I will use the keyboard for doing lots of homework and playing starcraft(rts).

If you will play with it reds make sense. The brown's scratchiness is not the best feeling for repetitive typing.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13504 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 22:32:54 »

If you will play with it reds make sense. The brown's scratchiness is not the best feeling for repetitive typing.

What is this scratchiness you speak of?  I use browns all the time and they are only scratchy for the first 2-3 weeks before you break them in.  Then they are buttery...

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13505 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 22:47:11 »

Haha. Ya that's what happened to me too. :)

I don't have access to those settings so I can't check, but polls might be enabled only for some subforums.

PM me if you want one set up and I can do it now.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline E3E

« Reply #13506 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 00:21:47 »

Yes, they aren't nasty smoker yellowed, just not glaring white dwarf white.

My Dells have pearl/pebble-like coloring that is darker and duller than its IBM counterparts.

Let us know how it works. Retro-brite has always been unpredictable and hit-or-miss for me.

Thanks for the info, fohat. I think you're definitely right on this one. I might abstain from trying to retrobrite them as I do believe that the color might be normal for the plastic. Wouldn't want to hurt an already brittle plastic with retrobrite.  :-X Maybe on caps from an easier to find board.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13507 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 16:08:30 »
Is there an OG Cherry set in DS WoB with 1.5 modifiers?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13508 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 16:46:41 »
Is there an OG Cherry set in DS WoB with 1.5 modifiers?

I think some 1800s have that setup.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13509 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 16:53:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:08:37 by alienman82 »

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #13510 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:12:13 »
I don't know if this is the right way to ask but I was wondering something.
Is there a 60% PCB (layout like poker) that fully supports RGB leds (on-pcb and in-switch) that would fit in a GON Nerd 60 case?
Starting to maybe make plans for my dreamboard
Looking for a matte Blackout V2!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13511 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:16:14 »
Is there a 60% PCB (layout like poker) that fully supports RGB leds (on-pcb and in-switch) that would fit in a GON Nerd 60 case?

Looks like the winkeyless PCBs fit your criteria. The b. series PCBs.

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #13512 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 08:18:35 »

Looks like the winkeyless PCBs fit your criteria. The b. series PCBs.

Do those PCBs support RGB in-switch leds? (like you would use with zealios)
Looking for a matte Blackout V2!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13513 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 18:47:07 »
Do those PCBs support RGB in-switch leds? (like you would use with zealios)

From the tiny pictures, I'd guess yes. Looks more likely to be SMD. I'm not 100% though.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13514 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:47:52 »
Have there ever been any proper attempts on GH or other keyboard forums to make a small keypad - maybe a 4x4 key array (possibly even smaller) that's completely programmable - kind of like an unsculpted razer orbweaver. Does anyone think they would be interested in something like this depending on the price?

Just asking because my friend has got a new lathe and we're both interested in building something keyboard related with it but have to work with quite a small build area

Offline slushi

« Reply #13515 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:46:18 »
Hey guys,

I just received a used Duck Eagle and was trying to flash the board. I have the 02D keymapper, flip, and the dfu-programmer. However, when I get to the step to connect the 02D keymapper to the DFU Programmer (by selecting firmware upload in the file menu), it keeps saying DFU Programmer not found. Can anyone help me out?

EDIT:

Nvm, I figured it out. The DFU programmer I downloaded had the .exe program sitting outside of the dfuprog-usb-1.2.2 folder. Just had move the exe to that path so that 02D would detect it since it only searches its own parent path.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:56:05 by slushi »

HHKB Pro 2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13516 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:31:03 »
Have there ever been any proper attempts on GH or other keyboard forums to make a small keypad - maybe a 4x4 key array (possibly even smaller) that's completely programmable - kind of like an unsculpted razer orbweaver. Does anyone think they would be interested in something like this depending on the price?

Just asking because my friend has got a new lathe and we're both interested in building something keyboard related with it but have to work with quite a small build area

GHPad, Butterfly Keypad, and there was a Korean custom keypad. I forget who made it. I like metalliqaz's QazPad custom though.

Offline Coff_man

• hi.
« Reply #13517 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:02:08 »
What keyboards are there that look like the corsair k70 (fullsized) but have a standard bottom spacing and ansi layout?
-QFR w/ mx Blues
-Ducky 9008 G2 w/ mx Red (dyesub ptb/thin?)
-Choc mini w/ mx Black

Offline slushi

« Reply #13518 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:16:46 »
One more question about the Duck Eagle:

I just installed all the LEDs in the SIP sockets and it seems the Right Gui (winkey), FN, and Ctrl keys won't light up. Since I bought the board used, I didn't install the sip sockets myself.

I've rotated through all of the different LED settings (i think). Is there a setting on the Eagle/Viper that turns off the bottom right 3 modifier LEDs? The keys themselves work.

Thanks!

HHKB Pro 2

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13519 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:35:28 »
What keyboards are there that look like the corsair k70 (fullsized) but have a standard bottom spacing and ansi layout?

If by looking alike you mean the floating keys, the Varmilo VA87M is very similar but is TKL.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13520 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 02:45:43 »

GHPad, Butterfly Keypad, and there was a Korean custom keypad. I forget who made it. I like metalliqaz's QazPad custom though.

Thanks badass :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13521 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:14:08 »
One more question about the Duck Eagle:

I just installed all the LEDs in the SIP sockets and it seems the Right Gui (winkey), FN, and Ctrl keys won't light up. Since I bought the board used, I didn't install the sip sockets myself.

I've rotated through all of the different LED settings (i think). Is there a setting on the Eagle/Viper that turns off the bottom right 3 modifier LEDs? The keys themselves work.

Thanks!

If you've got SIP sockets, did you try seeing if the polarity of the LEDs are correct? Are they facing the right way? Did you try swapping in new LEDs to see if you have bad LEDs? I'm not sure what the lighting settings are on the keyboard.

Offline slushi

« Reply #13522 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:21:53 »
If you've got SIP sockets, did you try seeing if the polarity of the LEDs are correct? Are they facing the right way? Did you try swapping in new LEDs to see if you have bad LEDs? I'm not sure what the lighting settings are on the keyboard.

Thanks! That was exactly what the problem was. The last 3 had reversed polarity for some reason.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13523 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:13:48 »
Can someone who knows confirm that the below diodes and resistors (I know this is somewhat color dependent just looking for a general all around resistor) are what I need for a Leeku 3000 PCB?? I'm a complete noob to SMD stuff.

Also when people buy these do they normally buy like 1000 pieces since its brings the price down? Or is there a better place to buy them like ebay?

Mouser #:    621-1N4148W-F   
Mfr. #:    1N4148W-7-F
Manufacturer:    Diodes Incorporated
Desc.:    Diodes - General Purpose, Power, Switching 100V Io/150mA T/R
Packaging Type: Cut Tape

Mouser #:    667-ERJ-6ENF1201V   
Mfr. #:    ERJ-6ENF1201V
Manufacturer:    Panasonic
Desc.:    Thick Film Resistors - SMD 0805 1.2Kohms 1% Tol
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:16:04 by SpAmRaY »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13524 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:15:57 »
Can someone who knows confirm that the below diodes and resistors (I know this is somewhat color dependent just looking for a general all around resistor) are what I need for a Leeku 3000 PCB?? I'm a complete noob to SMD stuff.

Also when people buy these do they normally buy like 1000 pieces since its brings the price down?

Mouser #:    621-1N4148W-F   
Mfr. #:    1N4148W-7-F
Manufacturer:    Diodes Incorporated
Desc.:    Diodes - General Purpose, Power, Switching 100V Io/150mA T/R

Mouser #:    667-ERJ-6ENF1201V   
Mfr. #:    ERJ-6ENF1201V
Manufacturer:    Panasonic
Desc.:    Thick Film Resistors - SMD 0805 1.2Kohms 1% Tol

That looks right. I bought similar parts for my Leeku 1800.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13525 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:59:40 »
EBay is rarely cheaper. The opposite in fact.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13526 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:01:21 »
EBay is rarely cheaper. The opposite in fact.

What? What are you referring to?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13527 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:02:04 »
His question about eBay of course?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13528 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:03:19 »
His question about eBay of course?

Completely missed that. My bad. Kinda helps if you quote what you're referring to though.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13529 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:05:31 »
I'm on Android tapatalk. Sucks! I can quote just fine, but for editing the quoted post and deleting the stuff I don't have am answer to... I'd end up throwing my phone in the wall 😊

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13530 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:09:48 »
I'm on Android tapatalk. Sucks! I can quote just fine, but for editing the quoted post and deleting the stuff I don't have am answer to... I'd end up throwing my phone in the wall 😊

I do it all the time. It's a minor inconvenience to me at worst. But no worries. The point isn't to throw it back on you. Definitely just missed that question completely. I agree that eBay isn't always cheaper. I think the Mouser prices were pretty good.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13531 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:17:59 »

One thing I just learned the other day is you can put @tofgerl and tapatalk will notify that person, so instead of quoting you can do that!

And thanks for the info @CPTBadAss and @tofgerl I just ordered 120 of each from mouser as I really didn't need more and I don't trust eBay for something I don't want to solder more than once. :D

Now to go watch GON and see how easy he makes SMD soldering look.  :-\

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13532 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:38:44 »
Do cutouts for plate mount cherry stabs support PCB mount cherry stabs?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13533 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:42:25 »

IIRC, they do. Look through the pictures here to check out what I was looking at.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13534 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 19:05:33 »

IIRC, they do. Look through the pictures here to check out what I was looking at.

Thanks CBA.  The apprentice again learns from the master.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13535 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:17:27 »
Hopefully a simple question...do half plates exist for 60% keyboards? I have only seen them on TKL or larger kustoms.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13536 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:35:20 »
Hopefully a simple question...do half plates exist for 60% keyboards? I have only seen them on TKL or larger kustoms.

I've never seen them. Wouldn't be too hard to make one though with swill's plate tool.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13537 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:01:26 »
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but are Model M and Model F springs interchangeable?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13538 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:08:24 »
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but are Model M and Model F springs interchangeable?

From what I understand they work, but give a totally different feel.  Ymmv

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13539 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:58:59 »
are Model M and Model F springs interchangeable?

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13540 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:08:19 »

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13541 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:50:39 »
http://zealpc.net/products/zealio
When will the 62g variant be back in stock? I'd like to buy one of each variant to try them out.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13542 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 22:03:21 »
http://zealpc.net/products/zealio
When will the 62g variant be back in stock? I'd like to buy one of each variant to try them out.
Zeal said when he restocks which could be a while, should post in the zelio thread showing your interest.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13543 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:24:45 »
Are the Amiga's A1200 key caps Cherry compatible and double shots?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13544 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:30:14 »
Does someone know the P/N or Model Nr. of this keyboard? Are these Cherry compatible double shots?

Offline E3E

« Reply #13545 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:54:44 »
Here's a simple question for anyone with experience handling Ducks. :P

Duck's PCBs have diodes, but it seems to have 6KRO over USB. Will USB > PS/2 > USB give these NKRO as I've heard it can do for other boards? I don't have any PCs with PS/2 ports since I use laptops, one being a DTR.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13546 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 00:48:22 »
Does someone know the P/N or Model Nr. of this keyboard? Are these Cherry compatible double shots?

can't remember the model number at the moment, but the keycaps are cherry made doubleshots

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13547 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 06:57:00 »

Duck's PCBs have diodes, but it seems to have 6KRO over USB. Will USB > PS/2 > USB give these NKRO as I've heard it can do for other boards? I don't have any PCs with PS/2 ports since I use laptops, one being a DTR.

The diodes alone should allow for NKRO.  The 6KRO is a USB keyboard device limitation.  Yes there are ways around it, but it adds a fair bit of complexity to the firmware.  While I can't confirm if it will work but just reverting back to PS/2 would be your best bet.  I works on my costar built das, but ymmv.

Offline E3E

« Reply #13548 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 07:08:39 »

The diodes alone should allow for NKRO.  The 6KRO is a USB keyboard device limitation.  Yes there are ways around it, but it adds a fair bit of complexity to the firmware.  While I can't confirm if it will work but just reverting back to PS/2 would be your best bet.  I works on my costar built das, but ymmv.

Yeah, I figured that the diodes aren't just there for looks. Definitely must be capable of it. Unfortunately, I can't just use PS/2 as I do not have any ports that allow it. I'll have to see what I can do. I have heard of the ridiculous daisy chain of adapters working, but I'm not so sure about that.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13549 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:16:23 »
Are the Amiga's A1200 key caps Cherry compatible and double shots?

From the pictures on this page, I'm going to guess no. I think they look like they might but don't. I'm not 100% sure and I can't find anything in a quick search.

According to Mr a500, it's a Commodore PC5 or PC10. If I'm understanding this thread correctly, it will be MX-mount compatible. I'm a little surprised because I've never tried a Commodore with anything MX-compatible. I've always tried keyboards with weird buckling rubber sleeves and they were meh. But I'm far from a vintage PC expert. I just know what I've tried at retro game expos.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:19:58 by CPTBadAss »