Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555353 times)

Offline Saiph

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15150 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 12:06:47 »
I just finished swapping my keyboard back to gateron yellows from zealios through switch top removal. For some reason my keys seem to catch onto something if I hit them from the bottom of the keycap. This happens at the beginning of pressing down. Anyone know what might cause this?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15151 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 12:14:24 »
I just finished swapping my keyboard back to gateron yellows from zealios through switch top removal. For some reason my keys seem to catch onto something if I hit them from the bottom of the keycap. This happens at the beginning of pressing down. Anyone know what might cause this?

Did you switch caps? That might have something to do with it.

The stems are different I believe as well which could be an issue as well.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #15152 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 13:15:40 »

Did you switch caps? That might have something to do with it.

The stems are different I believe as well which could be an issue as well.
I haven't switched keycaps this time around, though I did use different keycaps when I had this keyboard originally(when it was gateron yellows). The caps are GMK Sky Dolch.

It does seem like I can't get the switch to catch when I press it without the keycaps. I guess it could be the stem of the cap catching?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15153 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 13:22:30 »
I haven't switched keycaps this time around, though I did use different keycaps when I had this keyboard originally(when it was gateron yellows). The caps are GMK Sky Dolch.

It does seem like I can't get the switch to catch when I press it without the keycaps. I guess it could be the stem of the cap catching?

There's been some issues reported with GMK caps and some MX stems. I think people have shaved down the caps to fix it if I recall correctly.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #15154 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 13:29:42 »

There's been some issues reported with GMK caps and some MX stems. I think people have shaved down the caps to fix it if I recall correctly.
Ah yeah, I just found that thread. I guess its a tedious step that I have to go through haha. Do you think sandpaper would work well for that?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15155 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 13:31:06 »

Ah yeah, I just found that thread. I guess its a tedious step that I have to go through haha. Do you think sandpaper would work well for that?

I guess so? I've never done it. I have both files and sandpaper in my tool box at home. I'd try the sandpaper first and if I'm not getting good results, switch to the files. Both can be had for very cheap.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #15156 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 13:38:44 »

I guess so? I've never done it. I have both files and sandpaper in my tool box at home. I'd try the sandpaper first and if I'm not getting good results, switch to the files. Both can be had for very cheap.
Yeah, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help. :thumb:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15157 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 05:38:17 »
My Gateron caps from one of Ivan's buys do the same on my Gateron Blacks. I haven't been able to fix it because I can't figure out a good way of telling where the cap is rubbing on the housing.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #15158 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 06:02:36 »
Back when gateron switches first came from hwood, there were a lot of people talking about the switch stems catching at odd angles. The GMK set may be perpetuating this.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15159 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 07:39:40 »
Sorry I misspoke, my Gateron keycaps were catching on vintage MX Blacks.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15160 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 14:51:48 »
Why does the Model M's case never yellow despite being made of ABS?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15161 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 14:57:38 »

I thought that Model M used PVC.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #15162 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 15:28:49 »
Are Majestouch 1 keycaps PBT?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15163 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 16:41:07 »

nope ABS
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15164 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 18:31:38 »

It's not the material itself that yellows, I believe it's fire retardant chemicals that get added that causes yellowing. Apparently whatever material the Model M is made from, it doesn't have those chemicals to become yellow.

Offline kohi

« Reply #15165 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 18:14:30 »
do gateron clear switch covers fit well on cherry switches housings? or does it somehow change the feel of the switch

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15166 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 08:45:13 »
do gateron clear switch covers fit well on cherry switches housings? or does it somehow change the feel of the switch

They fit and I think it changes the feeling.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #15167 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 01:38:10 »

I thought that Model M used PVC.

To my knowledge PVC was used in the outer insulation of the cable.  During long term storage the cable can react with the case and essentially melt the case at the point of contact.  This is why some people recommend stuffing the cable into something like a toilet paper tube to minimize the contact.

It's not the material itself that yellows, I believe it's fire retardant chemicals that get added that causes yellowing. Apparently whatever material the Model M is made from, it doesn't have those chemicals to become yellow.

From what I have read, bromine is the flame retardant that is suspected to cause the yellowing when exposed to long term UV light. 

Couple questions of my own regarding my newest keyboard acquisition.

137750-0

1. What is the correct location for those clips.  When I received this keyboard those along with some other parts were in a plastic bag.

2.  Is that plug physically compatible with a VGA socket?

3.  Are the plastic tabs from a PC-AT compatible with the slots on this keyboard?  My keyboard didn't arrive with any and would like to use the plastic ones from my AT as I use insert stabilized keys and have already knocked out the plastic clips.  Would just be a matter of gluing them back in with a bit of epoxy.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15168 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 07:20:12 »
1. What is the correct location for those clips.  When I received this keyboard those along with some other parts were in a plastic bag.

3.  Are the plastic tabs from a PC-AT compatible with the slots on this keyboard?  My keyboard didn't arrive with any and would like to use the plastic ones from my AT as I use insert stabilized keys and have already knocked out the plastic clips.  Would just be a matter of gluing them back in with a bit of epoxy.

1) https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50475.msg1131368#msg1131368

2) Don't know

3) Not sure what plastic tabs you're referring to. Or what their purpose is.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15169 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 07:36:56 »

2) Don't know

The tabs for the wire stabilizers.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15170 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 07:54:03 »

2) Don't know

I believe they're the same yes.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15171 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 07:55:42 »

2) Don't know

Thanks CBA, looking forward to typing in this soon. I would assume the card in the top left of the linked post is a buzzer and not a solenoid.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #15172 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 09:00:25 »
simple question: may I use Costar stabs with Alps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15173 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 09:05:03 »

I don't think so. Stabilizers on Alps are tricky. I'd stick with the Matias stabilizers.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #15174 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 09:15:55 »

I don't think so. Stabilizers on Alps are tricky. I'd stick with the Matias stabilizers.

Alrighty, thx Captain!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15175 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 03:12:16 »
I'm looking for a good tactile switch, but apparently the tactility on MX Browns is pretty weak and Topre is too pricey for me at the moment, are there any alternatives?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15176 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 06:04:37 »
I'm looking for a good tactile switch, but apparently the tactility on MX Browns is pretty weak and Topre is too pricey for me at the moment, are there any alternatives?

MX clears are good, if a little heavy.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #15177 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 07:09:31 »

nope ABS

Thanks. Found my old G8-11800 with PBT caps while cleaning today. Tempted to play dentist now.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15178 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:32:43 »

nope ABS

Thanks. Found my old G8-11800 with PBT caps while cleaning today. Tempted to play dentist now.

try throwing them in with some warm water and denture tabs
I love Elzy

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #15179 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:41:29 »
Anyone got a guide for cleaning coffee spill on Realforce 87? D:

It also happened months ago.. am I screwed? Should I just get an HHKB?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15180 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:45:52 »

Take it apart and clean everything with isopropyl alcohol. I like using 91%. Let it dry. Put it back together. Since it's been a while, it might have some issues. You would ideally have cleaned it ASAP.

I had a friend spill soda on a Razer Blackwidow. He didn't do anything about it and it ended up corroding the PCB. I only found out about it like 3 months later. If you see corrosion, you won't be able to recover the board.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #15181 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:53:53 »

Take it apart and clean everything with isopropyl alcohol. I like using 91%. Let it dry. Put it back together. Since it's been a while, it might have some issues. You would ideally have cleaned it ASAP.

I had a friend spill soda on a Razer Blackwidow. He didn't do anything about it and it ended up corroding the PCB. I only found out about it like 3 months later. If you see corrosion, you won't be able to recover the board.

Okay thank you CPTBA, I will try this when I have time !

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #15182 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 16:13:10 »
How would I go about figuring out the size of a screw I have? I have one of the original vortex aluminum tkl cases and I need new screws for it, since the original ones were too short to actually hold it together.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #15183 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 16:24:39 »
k another dumb question:

is the bro set https://ctrlalt.io/buys/the-bro-set

cherry profile or sp dcs? i looked around but didn't see what it was. its been so long since i bought it i can't remember, and i don't remember which sellers sold what profiles anymore :/

please help :)

thanks

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15184 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 16:27:35 »
k another dumb question:

is the bro set https://ctrlalt.io/buys/the-bro-set

cherry profile or sp dcs? i looked around but didn't see what it was. its been so long since i bought it i can't remember, and i don't remember which sellers sold what profiles anymore :/

please help :)

thanks

DCS
I love Elzy

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #15185 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 16:38:06 »
Thanks partna

Sent from my OnePlus One

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #15186 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 17:38:44 »
Which of the two lubes, thick or thin, offered by Zeal are suitable for use on stabilisers?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15187 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 17:39:08 »
Which of the two lubes, thick or thin, offered by Zeal are suitable for use on stabilisers?

both, thick probably better for stabs.
I love Elzy

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #15188 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 17:40:46 »
Thanks Sifo.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #15189 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 23:42:00 »
is there such a thing as blank white realforce set? pretty much im looking for some colorway as the white realforce (with the grey mods) but blank. is this available?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15190 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 05:39:56 »
is there such a thing as blank white realforce set? pretty much im looking for some colorway as the white realforce (with the grey mods) but blank. is this available?

Not with grey mods, but an all white blank set was available in the mists of ancient time.  Good luck finding one now though :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15191 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:27:40 »

I think that there was a guy dyeing sets over on /r/MechMarket but I don't know how well a black white set would turn out via dyeing.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #15192 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 12:57:18 »
Are there any 104-key boards with a milled aluminum enclosure that are currently on the market? Besides that Ducky one, the brass doesn't count.

Bonus points if it's plate mounted!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15193 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 13:21:44 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:07:53 by alienman82 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15194 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 17:19:53 »
^ It's not really on the market though.
I love Elzy

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #15195 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 06:05:30 »
I'm building a board right now and I'm testing caps on differently lubed stabs.  However sometimes when I take the caps off the switch the stab comes off the pcb because I have to pull so hard.  Does anyone know how to prevent this?  I'm using zealios and og cherry dyesubs.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #15196 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 06:42:50 »
I'm building a board right now and I'm testing caps on differently lubed stabs.  However sometimes when I take the caps off the switch the stab comes off the pcb because I have to pull so hard.  Does anyone know how to prevent this?  I'm using zealios and og cherry dyesubs.

Spread some lube over the keycap mount on stabs ( "+" shaped thing).
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #15197 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 08:11:39 »
I'm assembling my lz rv, i've soldered all the switches, however the 1,2,3,4 don't work as well as numlock, add, multiply, subtract. insert is delete, delete is home, end is page up and vice vera, windows keys don't work, keys number 2 and 3 above the numpad give 2 and 3. anyone know what could be going on?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #15198 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 12:31:25 »
I'd like to have a custom PCB made for me, where can I post on Geekhack to request such a service?

Can one-off keysets be ordered from GMK, and if so, how much would it cost? Doubleshot of course, but no custom legends.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15199 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 13:01:35 »
I'd like to have a custom PCB made for me, where can I post on Geekhack to request such a service?

Can one-off keysets be ordered from GMK, and if so, how much would it cost? Doubleshot of course, but no custom legends.

I have never heard off GMK keeping off the shelve stock; but, you may ask them, they may have left overs that you can buy. If what you want is your own colors selection; then, based on recent GBs it seems that the lowest MoQ is 150, so you may buy 150 sets, keep the amount you want, one?, and sell the rest. Why you just not joint one of the multiple current GMK group buys, instead? There are at least 3 of them active, or soon to come.