Author Topic: Topre Appreciation Thread!  (Read 125745 times)

Offline Macsmasher

Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 23:34:26 »
Comparing the two side-by-side, I choose the Type-S as my favourite because of the reduced key-travel (before I'd even looked up the numbers). Typing feels quite different swapping between the two.

I'd be inclined to trust the manufacturer over an antique analog gauge hovering over some keys.

Well, it's not a machinists digital instrument. But accurate enough for my purpose. I also took three measurements per keyboard to ensure consistency.

According to the Topre specs, it looks like the standard keystroke is 4mm and silenced is 3.8mm. For those of you not familiar with Metric, that's 0.00787 inches. The diameter of a human hair is .254mm, or 0.001 inches.

I would respectfully submit sir that the difference you feel is not related to key travel. But if you disagree, you could perform a test of your own. Pluck one of the hairs off your head and find a way to place in under a key. Get back to me with the results.

I shave my head, so I'll need to source one from somewhere else. Unsure if hair thickness will be the same, I'll report back.

I agree that there must be other factors contributing to the "feel" of being shorter throw. I'm bottoming out 100% of the time on Type-S HHKB. On regular 45g Topre it's still >90%, but a much softer landing. These qualities are what leads me to believe there's a tiny bit more room at the bottom of the key stroke.

The switches do feel considerably different between RF and HHKB. I just assumed it was because of the different mounting systems. There seems to be less of a tactile bump on the RF 45g silent switches compared to the 45g HHKB non-silenced, which may account for the feeling of less key travel. Linear keys like MX reds feel shallower to me even though they have the same travel as my browns; 4mm.

Regardless, I'm with you regarding preference. I like the feel of the silent switch.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 00:08:00 »
overpriced membrane garbage

go buckling spring if you want a real typing experience

Hi ripster

More like a TP smurf

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 00:12:22 »
I shave my head, so I'll need to source one from somewhere else. Unsure if hair thickness will be the same, I'll report back.

puuuuuuuuuubes
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Trev

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 00:19:35 »

puuuuuuuuuubes
A standard unit of measurement for key travel, no? "That Topre is at least 170pu"

(The thickness of human hair actually varies wildly based on race, gender, etc.)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 02:03:48 »

Hi ripster

More like a TP smurf

Ripster had decent knowledge about keyboard and was better at troll.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #305 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 02:21:18 »

Hi ripster

More like a TP smurf

Decent knowledge? That's the understatement of the century.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 03:01:22 »

That's true....

I guess it must be someone that lacks the balls to speak their worthless opinions on their main ID.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 03:07:50 »

Hi ripster

More like a TP smurf

I would call this a successful troll post. Look at all the posts about it  :))

It's probably tp4 anyways. I can just tell. -- actually he likes scissor switch, not BS. So no, just a new troll  :rolleyes:
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #308 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 03:11:35 »
TP knows he loves Topre. He's just too afraid to admit it.

Offline iri

« Reply #309 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 03:26:59 »
have you had any success finding a model f yet?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #310 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:22:09 »

Seriously, I think he's just closet.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:34:57 »

Seriously, I think he's just closet.

This is for TP...

Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #312 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 01:09:56 »
This now stands for SWITCH EQUALITY....

This is for TP...

Show Image

Offline vipjun

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:44:39 »
Does anyone have ideas for reducing the key travel of the stroke by about 1mm - 1.5mm? I'm not sure if the cherry o-rings will fit topre.  Anyone have a link to purchasing or selling some ? I only need about 8 , though i don't mind buying a whole set if that's what it has to be.
WTT Realforce 87ub variable for 55G / MX PCB mount
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42360.msg861771#msg861771

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #314 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 16:14:09 »
iri has done a mod which involves ... medical tape? It's basically a strip of rubber he put between the keys and the plate.

I would recommend a foam cutout (tedious work, but hey if you really want perfection...)
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 17:02:53 »
Yeah. I'm not a fan of how the regular Topre makes noise on the up-stroke.
blasphemy and heathen

Amen. Sometimes I feel like an aberrant for liking the sound of the standard Topre over the silenced.

Unrefined barbarian!

Ok, I like the sound too. The only reason I 'need' the silent is so I can take notes during phone meetings. I know this may come as a surprise to all of us, but normal people don't appreciate the sound of nice key switches. I know! Go figure...   :confused:

Offline Trev

« Reply #316 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 17:54:32 »
It's the timing that bothers me more than the sound. I don't like hearing the Topre upstroke <clack> slightly after the key press. In normal typing, it's much more noticeable than the bottoming-out <thock>.

Anyhow, this is easily remedied with a Type-S HHKB (on route), and my RF 87U silent.  :D

Offline kaporkle

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 00:02:01 »
Hay this is as good a thread as any to ask. What is the deal with this Topre numpad? All I can gather from the couple photos I've seen is that it seems to be 30g. And where is the cable? Is it just a non-functional mock-up or do they actually sell this?

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #318 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 00:53:46 »
Hay this is as good a thread as any to ask. What is the deal with this Topre numpad? All I can gather from the couple photos I've seen is that it seems to be 30g. And where is the cable? Is it just a non-functional mock-up or do they actually sell this? (Attachment Link)

45g uniform non-silenced PCB mounted Topre switches. I have one. Feels a lot like my HHKB actually. Also has dip switches for customizing some keys. Cable comes out the back on the left. Read about it here...

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rf_numberpad&pid=rf_wc0100

This guy is even more boring than we are, but it's a good comparison between the Realforce and Filco tenkeypads...

Offline kaporkle

« Reply #319 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 09:35:17 »
Oh sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. I do have a 23UB, I specifically mean the metallic red one pictured.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 12:49:02 »
It clearly shows 30g in that photo....

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #321 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 12:52:03 »
Any more photos of that numpad kaporkle?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline vipjun

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 15:21:12 »
I just received my weighted Topre and was looking to see if any 55g Topre owners would like to trade some 55g domes for my 45g or 35g dome

I'm willing to trade 4 - 12 domes even numbers prefered. pulled from the F cluster / misc keys that haven't been typed on much.

I'm looking to build a 35/45/55(not just an esc key) weighted version and the 55g owner can build a 45/55 version.

Offline iri

« Reply #323 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 15:33:48 »
iri has done a mod which involves ... medical tape? It's basically a strip of rubber he put between the keys and the plate.
handlebar wrap for road bicycles.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40465.msg831195#msg831195
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline kaporkle

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 20:15:26 »
Any more photos of that numpad kaporkle?

I thought I had at least one other decent photo of it, but it seems not.

Offline vipjun

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 20:53:47 »
i took apart some bamboo coasters and put them under the key.. the travel was reduced by 2mm or so. felt a little too much. im gonna try toothpicks instead.  I like the hard bottom out.

BTW does anyone know where i can get springs that are similar to the one underneath the spacebar? maybe 10 - 20g tension.

I know it sounds like i'm butchering my kb but i really want a bit more snap back in the key.

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 13:53:07 »
Here are my two 87Us with a partial key swap! White is 45g, black 55g.

I'm going to fully swap the keys next (when I have time) and upload those pics too.

17740-017742-1
Realforce 87u 55g | WASD v1 with Blues | Quickfire Rapid with Blues | Filco 87 with Reds

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:27:56 »
Looks good. Can't wait to get my white 55g that I ordered yesterday. I'm also going to have a black and white one. yay!

Offline Q404

« Reply #328 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:53:19 »
Does anyone know a way how you can purchase a hhkb pro 2 with jp layout on a site with a repuation?
I only saw it on this site http://www.geekstuff4u.com/happy-hacking-keyboard-pro-2-japanese.html#.UVwc4pNBJUU and i never heard of that site so i dont know how reputable this site is.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #329 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:02:11 »
Does anyone know a way how you can purchase a hhkb pro 2 with jp layout on a site with a repuation?
I only saw it on this site http://www.geekstuff4u.com/happy-hacking-keyboard-pro-2-japanese.html#.UVwc4pNBJUU and i never heard of that site so i dont know how reputable this site is.

Amazon.co.jp (temporarily out of stock) http://www.amazon.co.jp/PFU-Keyboard-Professional-N%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC-PD-KB420W/dp/B001KWJTCW/

Buy direct from PFU Fujitsu: http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/direct/hhkb/detail_hhkb-pro-jp.html
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Q404

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:41:53 »
Thanks but i heard that PFU isnt shipping outside of japan.
So i will i think buy it over amazon .
Again thanks for your help.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:51:30 »
Amazon.co.jp doesn't ship outside of Japan, directly. Use a forwarding service such as Tenso.com to ship if from Japan to you. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline phx

« Reply #332 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:02:50 »
so.............. The 45g uniform is finally in stock
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se0900#

I've been using MX Brown for many years, should I take this giant expensive leap into the world of Topre?

also, 45g or 55g? which is more similar to the brown? also, silence version? what? Topre is already pretty quiet imo

Offline Q404

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:05:15 »
Oh ok that helps soo much .
Thanks for your help and have a nice day  :D

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:15:29 »
Ohhhhh the white 55g's are back in stock

Offline humble

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:26:11 »
Could anyone please try stating how useful this variable Topre is? http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=793

The description says the switch weight varies from 55g to 15g. That sounds like a huge difference. How does this work and how would you compare it to the 45g version?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:28:53 »

I can see you making that Arnold face right now.

Offline phx

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:30:48 »
This face perfectly describe my feels right now :-\

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #338 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:47:48 »

You lack discipline!!!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:52:09 »

You lack discipline!!!

There is no bathroom!

Who is your daddy, and what does he do?

in memoriam

Offline Squelos

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:13:18 »
Topre always announce a 15g possible difference. But in reality its way lower than that. As you could expect from a premium keyboard.

My guess would be that 45g is closer to browns than 55g's would be.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 19:33:05 »
so.............. The 45g uniform is finally in stock
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se0900#

I've been using MX Brown for many years, should I take this giant expensive leap into the world of Topre?

also, 45g or 55g? which is more similar to the brown? also, silence version? what? Topre is already pretty quiet imo

I don't have an instrument to test key actuation force. But a 45g Topre switch feels about the same as a Cherry MX brown. I only have one 55g Topre key (my Esc key), and it's definitely stiffer than my 3 year old Das Ultimate with browns.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 19:33:33 »
Having owned every Cherry switch and both 45g and 55g Topre variants, I can fully confirm that statement.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
Re: Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:26:51 »
Looks good. Can't wait to get my white 55g that I ordered yesterday. I'm also going to have a black and white one. yay!

Woot...55g bros....I've got a white 55g in the mail too.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:32:23 »
I actually turned my black 55g into a white one... replaced the case and caps. Pretty sure I like the white better than the black.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
Re: Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 21:22:00 »

Woot...55g bros....I've got a white 55g in the mail too.

Hey 55g bro! I also ordered one ;)

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 21:33:57 »
I am easily peer pressured... I got a white/grey 55g in the mail as well for my first topre experience...
Broknucks bros
-wd

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 21:39:20 »
I am easily peer pressured... I got a white/grey 55g in the mail as well for my first topre experience...
Broknucks bros

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 15:39:53 »
Just got my RF 55g in the mail. Not sure if its just me because it almost feels like I'm typing on my 45g.

Offline Amarok

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 15:40:49 »
Just got my RF 55g in the mail. Not sure if its just me because it almost feels like I'm typing on my 45g.

I have both in front of me and I can notice a big difference. Someone buy my 45g!!!
Realforce 87u 55g