Author Topic: What keyboard things will you never 'get'?  (Read 47736 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: What keyboard things will you never 'get'?
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:50:15 »
youtube videos where 50% of the time is eaten up by the typist getting themselves ready

And another 10% by a flashy over-the-top intro.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #251 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:49:17 »
MX Blues. To me they sound like a cheap attempt at the BS boards. I rather have no click than a cheap plastic racket.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #252 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:09:49 »
MX Blues. To me they sound like a cheap attempt at the BS boards. I rather have no click than a cheap plastic racket.

It is a good thing we live many miles away.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #253 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:14:13 »

It is a good thing we live many miles away.

I don't. Want me to go break his fingers for you?  :))

But seriously, Blues ARE inferior to BS. But then again, all the rest are inferior to Blues IMO...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:37:00 »
I think that blues are OK. They're nice and tactile, which I like, but they're also too light for my tastes.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #255 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:58:53 »
I don't get how people just learn to use a "standard" layout board without question.

I don't get stagger, QWERTY layout and why the little fingers have to work so hard. Blech.

I used to be embarrassed that I couldn't touch-type until I started to learn to and realised that my "floating" hunt-and-peck was a whole lot more comfortable and better for my hands. So I still hunt-and-peck at decent speed, but with no embarrassment :)

Spending more than 10 dollars on a single keycap...

Bright backlighting.

Displays on keyboards.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #256 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:09:57 »
Ergodox. Keyboards full of clacks. The rainbow vomit thing. I just think it looks stupid. Half printed, half blank. Those Iron Man caps for like $30 which I think look silly.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #257 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:17:05 »
Ergodox. Keyboards full of clacks. The rainbow vomit thing. I just think it looks stupid. Half printed, half blank. Those Iron Man caps for like $30 which I think look silly.
Coming from the guy with a blackwidow and RAT7

Offline Jixr

« Reply #258 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:28:54 »
1. Egrodrox Forum spammers
2. keyboard typing test videos
3. pad printed keycaps
4. why people buy filcos over QFR/Xt's
5. Brown switches
6. The "gamer" boards styled by a 15 year old who has seen too many fast and the furious movies
7. old keyboards, IMB M's, etc. I get the retro thing, and have used them before, but its not for me I guess
8. People who don't type on mech boards
9. why its so hard to get all the cool korean keyboard part
10. why keyboard layouts are not symetrical, why can't the caps lock be the same size as the enter key, etc...
11. Why my room mate has over $3k in his tower, but won't even take my extra mech keyboard in favor of his logitech ( G19? )rubber dome. also, why in every FPS game he uses R for run instead of shift or another modifier key. his excuse for not wanting a mech board is "it dosent have a screen on it"

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #259 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:59:53 »

And?

I think the Blackwidow TE looks just fine, even better after I replaced the keycaps with blank keycaps. And to me the RAT 7 is the most comfortable mouse out there. So again.. your point?
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:32:57 »

And?

I think the Blackwidow TE looks just fine, even better after I replaced the keycaps with blank keycaps. And to me the RAT 7 is the most comfortable mouse out there. So again.. your point?

I believe he thinks your stuff looks silly...

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:45:38 »
That people who
a. Have the money for ergo boards
and
b. Don't work jobs that forbid outside keyboards (e.g. military contractors)
use standard keyboards.

Sorry, but after the first week with my edox I'd never be willing to go back and don't understand how anyone could.

Offline mauri

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:18:04 »

Take it back take it back now

unicorns unite :llama:
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:41:52 »
"right handed" keyboards with arrows and/or numpad on the right.

Shouldn't it be on the left so you can use your dominant hand for a mouse/trackball?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 16:05:04 »
People used to use their dominant hand for the numpad.  I'm a fan of TKL-mouse-numpad myself.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #265 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 16:16:46 »
7. old keyboards, IMB M's, etc. I get the retro thing, and have used them before, but its not for me I guess

Some of them are also quite nice to type on, even more so that some of the modern mechanical keyboards.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:47:29 »
The cost of Topre keyboards.

This is top for me too. I could build a board to my own specification for that amount, plus the Realforce case is ugly as sin. Now the HHKB on the other hand looks sexy, but is even more insanely priced.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #267 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 23:45:38 »

Kinda helped me in deciding what switch to use. Once I heard all the good blues videos, I knew I couldn't stand it. It made difference when I tried out a mx blue board, too. Helped me choose the HHKB Pro 2 as well and this board is my main board (pretty much the only board I will ever use...I don't even use my Model M much, but enjoy having it as part of my collection). Some people might not find them useful, but when I first started out...they really helped.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 00:28:16 »

Kinda helped me in deciding what switch to use. Once I heard all the good blues videos, I knew I couldn't stand it. It made difference when I tried out a mx blue board, too. Helped me choose the HHKB Pro 2 as well and this board is my main board (pretty much the only board I will ever use...I don't even use my Model M much, but enjoy having it as part of my collection). Some people might not find them useful, but when I first started out...they really helped.

I think he means typing test videos in which one records their typing speeds.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline vatin

« Reply #269 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 01:05:12 »
People wittering on about how tenkeyless is ergonomically *sooooo* much better than a full keyboard when they are still using a staggered layout with QWERTY.

Also, backlit boards and novelty keycaps.

+1
OLKB Planck V6

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #270 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 03:57:24 »
People wittering on about how tenkeyless is ergonomically *sooooo* much better than a full keyboard when they are still using a staggered layout with QWERTY.

Well, just because it isn't the most optimal configuration does not mean that it isn't more ergonomic than a standard keyboard.

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #271 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 04:41:51 »

And?

I'm kinda with him though. The tournament edition looks pretty good. It'd look about three times better if it wasn't shiny, but it still looks pretty good.  And I have heard that with all the customizability, the RATs are pretty comfy.
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline vatin

« Reply #272 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 09:04:45 »
That people who
a. Have the money for ergo boards
and
b. Don't work jobs that forbid outside keyboards (e.g. military contractors)
use standard keyboards.

Sorry, but after the first week with my edox I'd never be willing to go back and don't understand how anyone could.

Exactly my thought.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #273 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 12:08:10 »

And?

I'm kinda with him though. The tournament edition looks pretty good. It'd look about three times better if it wasn't shiny, but it still looks pretty good.  And I have heard that with all the customizability, the RATs are pretty comfy.

The Tournament Edition isn't shiny. It has a matte finish and no back light, either. It's pretty subtle.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #274 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 12:43:43 »
If you don't get the ErgoDox and you've tried it, fair enough.

If you don't get the ErgoDox and you haven't tried it, shut it and try one already.

Offline Kian

• Business Man
« Reply #275 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 12:54:28 »
Lighting on keyboards, even the caplocks, numlock, and scrolllock lights really bug me.

Poker II with Cherry MX Browns

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #276 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 02:56:17 »
Not having directional keys on a mini board, considering how frequently used they are. The centimeter or so space possibly saved doesn't make sense to me when it is at the loss of often a lot of functionality (as I stare at the HHKB).
Companies that still use the same uninteresting font as thirty years ago; I like the aesthetic, even if just slightly different like that of the Leopold FC series, compared to cheap membrane keys. A little variety in the fonts that, granted, aren't seen much with touch typing, but are still important to the look.
Keyboards with massive extensions past the ends, like the CM Mech.

And I would say the severity of ergodox elitism. It's acceptable to a point, but the rabidity displayed is disconcerting and irritating.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #277 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 15:34:43 »
Not having directional keys on a mini board, considering how frequently used they are. The centimeter or so space possibly saved doesn't make sense to me when it is at the loss of often a lot of functionality (as I stare at the HHKB).
Companies that still use the same uninteresting font as thirty years ago; I like the aesthetic, even if just slightly different like that of the Leopold FC series, compared to cheap membrane keys. A little variety in the fonts that, granted, aren't seen much with touch typing, but are still important to the look.

And I would say the severity of ergodox elitism. It's acceptable to a point, but the rabidity displayed is disconcerting and irritating.

It really isn't that hard to get to the directional keys on a HHKB. Like do you not have pinkies?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #278 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 15:37:04 »

Well, just because it isn't the most optimal configuration does not mean that it isn't more ergonomic than a standard keyboard.

Agreed. These are two separate things, both contributing to comfort in two separate ways.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #279 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:16:18 »
split ergo keyboards ... just feel so weird to me   :confused:

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #280 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 00:37:52 »
i came across this thread finally, i never saw it before, i don't understand why the ErgoDox has been thrown around like its some unnecessary trend up there with novelty key caps.

I got to rant,

I understand if you are going to say you don't want one but please don't think users are some hipsters trying to prove something.  Listen, unless you are a keyboard collector, if you have an ErgoDox just because you can say you have an ErgoDox then please get rid of it--sell it to someone who actually wants it. ErgoDox owners have an ErgoDox because they were seeking it.

The ErgoDox (with slope) has been genuinely, and i mean it with full sincerity, a game changer for me. I doubt any ergonomic keyboard will stop RSI from happening if your using a keyboard 10-14 hours a day like me so it can't hurt trying to reduce it when you can and the ergodox to me helps and its more comfortable. that is all im trying to get across here. What is wrong with me thinking this?

/rant

as for the topic, I used to say i wasn't going to ever get a Korean custom keyboard but i kind of broke that by getting a GON Kitty Pad and ordering a GON enclosure for the GH60 so i think technically that means i own a korean custom. I also said when i joined geekhack that i wouldn't ever end up with a keyboard collection, OOPS.

Edit: Dont mind me i'm just having a really bad day, time to sleep it off.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 00:53:20 by Glod »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #281 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 01:17:11 »

It really isn't that hard to get to the directional keys on a HHKB. Like do you not have pinkies?

When playing games or just generally navigating, I don't want to use two fingers to fulfill extremely basic functions like navigation. That's like making me press Ctrl so I can press the number keys.
Yes, people harp about how easy it is, but it's still two keys for something that should only need one. I mean, it's my opinion and that's why I prefer Leopold 60% layouts rather than HHKB, I don't have anything against it besides not liking the layout.

Offline tbc

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 01:21:05 »
i have pinkies just fine....I also know reaching for that fn key is an unnatural position for said pinky.

someone PLEASE show me a video of using the arrow keys on a HHKB; are you supposed to use one finger? cause I use three on a cursor block.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 01:22:22 »
Scroll Lock - What does it do? I've never used it in my lifetime, yet there it is...

That and numlock. I see how numlock works, but it just makes 4 buttons work on a numpad and waste the dedicated arrows on my board. Also on my 75% accidentally having it on making typing letters into numbers

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #284 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 04:35:19 »
Scroll Lock - What does it do? I've never used it in my lifetime, yet there it is...

That and numlock. I see how numlock works, but it just makes 4 buttons work on a numpad and waste the dedicated arrows on my board. Also on my 75% accidentally having it on making typing letters into numbers

There's a guy I work with who, the first thing he does, is turn Num Lock off.  I have never seen him use the dedicated arrow keys.  He ALWAYS uses those on the num pad.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 04:58:29 »
There's a guy I work with who, the first thing he does, is turn Num Lock off.  I have never seen him use the dedicated arrow keys.  He ALWAYS uses those on the num pad.

I do that too when I work with fullsize keyboards. I almost never use the numpad and therefore it bugs me that an LED is informing me about something I don't even care about.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 08:16:48 »

Good luck using an F AT without it lol.

someone PLEASE show me a video of using the arrow keys on a HHKB; are you supposed to use one finger? cause I use three on a cursor block.

I don't have a video, but there is a function layer for that.

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 08:25:15 »
I use up to three fingers on my HHKB arrows. Hold down the Fn key with my pinky or sometimes thumb, then use my index and middle finger on the arrows (which are under [;'/, if you don't know).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #288 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 08:42:37 »
He means that he uses pointer, middle, ring fingers on the standard arrow block.  (I do that too)  The only movement is the middle finger for up/down.

On the HHKB, you can only use two at most, because of the cross pattern, instead of the inverted T.

I picture it as pointer and middle finger.  Either holding them over left/up, or left/right, or down/right.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 08:47:08 »
I use index for left and down and middle for right and up.

And sorry. I knew what he meant, and I didn't intend to say that because it was the same amount of fingers, that it was the same thing. I use standard arrows like you described as well. I just wanted to let him know how I use the arrows on the HHKB, which was his question.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 08:48:40 by esoomenona »

Offline ZeodoHokill

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 09:40:29 »
Kbt race, I don't get it why it's discontinued :(

Offline amasokin

• KBD Lunatic
« Reply #291 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 09:58:05 »
Because the Race 2 is coming "soon" https://www.facebook.com/Vortexgear

Offline ZeodoHokill

« Reply #292 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 10:20:56 »
Because the Race 2 is coming "soon" https://www.facebook.com/Vortexgear

I don't get it I didn't notice, yeah~~~~~  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 10:28:35 »
The ugly as h*ll windows flag key. And not just that... but two of them. Two keys. Ugly as h*ll. And why did that logo have to be surrounded by a a glossy recessed circle? I guess just to make it as ugly as possible. If at all possible, these should be completely banned. Blank keys are much preferred. Why does MS get to insinuate themselves on just about EVERY keyboard on the planet? Call it "Meta," or call it "Shell" or call it nothing at all.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 10:31:02 »
The ugly as h*ll windows flag key. And not just that... but two of them. Two keys. Ugly as h*ll. And why did that logo have to be surrounded by a a glossy recessed circle? I guess just to make it as ugly as possible. If at all possible, these should be completely banned. Blank keys are much preferred. Why does MS get to insinuate themselves on just about EVERY keyboard on the planet? Call it "Meta," or call it "Shell" or call it nothing at all.

It's called branding.  Apple does it even more.  There's no "Meta" key because nobody uses Unix/Linux on the desktop. (relative to Windows)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 10:33:43 »

They shouldn't even exist. Another great reason to use a Model M!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:21:16 »

If you don't get the ErgoDox and you haven't tried it, shut it and try one already.

Want to make me a ergodox with ergo clears?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:30:24 »

There are a variety of people who have done so, if you're asking if it's possible, or are you asking for assembly services?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline tbc

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 22:00:14 »
thank you to everyone who described how to use the cursors on the HHKB.  The first time someone described it to me, they said pinky on fn and their index on j and pressing with their ring finger (very painful position).  The mental image (and my physical attempt at it) was utterly ridiculous.

I still think it sucks; but it makes more sense now.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 22:08:21 »

There are a variety of people who have done so, if you're asking if it's possible, or are you asking for assembly services?

He's telling me not to judge the ergodox until I try it out. So I'm asking for a sample