Author Topic: HHKB Pro2 Powered Hub Mod  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
HHKB Pro2 Powered Hub Mod
« on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 04:12:30 »
It's been bothering me for awhile now and it seems like it would be a really easy project to tackle. Does anyone have any reason to believe that this mod might be trickier than I think, before I start hacking up my board?
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: HHKB Pro2 Powered Hub Mod
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 22:26:32 »
Can you show your plan first? Kind of interested but I don't know how this mod is going.

IMO, keyboard doesn't need hub and prefter to dismiss its hub :)

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 09:49:45 »
It's been bothering me for awhile now and it seems like it would be a really easy project to tackle. Does anyone have any reason to believe that this mod might be trickier than I think, before I start hacking up my board?
Do you have any schematic?
Any price goal?
I couldn't find any IC with a decent price to build one ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:02:06 »
pro2 has bus powered hub with NEC 720114 chip already.
http://documentation.renesas.com/doc/DocumentServer/S17462EJ6V0DS00.pdf

Seems like some people have power issue with the hub.
I'm not sure this power issue comes from real power shortage or virtual power consume calculation of device descriptor.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43906.0

But I don't know what OP's problem is actually.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 22:04:46 »
Hey Guys, sorry for the late response. I've been really busy with work. I checked out the specs on that chip. Thanks btw. It's good that it supports "self-powered" mode. Knowing that makes this mod that much more feasible. However, just because an IC supports a certain feature doesn't necessarily mean that it is used in the product that it's implemented in.

Ok, so in my mind/experience a powered hub is one that uses a external power source. This is probably due to the fact that passive hubs have to share the max current output from the host USB port from the computer. I'd say that most standard USB ports supply around 500mA. This is way too low for most devices, trying plugging in power hungry devices into a raspberry pi.

I had been waiting on someone to do something similar on a generic passive usb hub before considering how I'd approach the problem, and it looks like someone has: http://www.instructables.com/id/Adding-an-external-power-supply-to-a-cheap-USB-hub/
It looks really easy, maybe too easy. Pretty much you just sever the connection to the VCC (5V power line) from the host port and route it to a battery or power supply that can supply 5V ~1A. What to you guys think?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 July 2013, 22:07:01 by Arexxk »
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 21:25:23 »
Ok, so in my mind/experience a powered hub is one that uses a external power source. This is probably due to the fact that passive hubs have to share the max current output from the host USB port from the computer. I'd say that most standard USB ports supply around 500mA. This is way too low for most devices, trying plugging in power hungry devices into a raspberry pi.

I had been waiting on someone to do something similar on a generic passive usb hub before considering how I'd approach the problem, and it looks like someone has: http://www.instructables.com/id/Adding-an-external-power-supply-to-a-cheap-USB-hub/
It looks really easy, maybe too easy. Pretty much you just sever the connection to the VCC (5V power line) from the host port and route it to a battery or power supply that can supply 5V ~1A. What to you guys think?

Yeah, it seems to work well for you.

If you connected HHKB to dumb cheap powered hub with 1A power adapter I guess you can give Raspberry Pi enough power(-1A) through HHKB. This is right?
And your mod will give power source directly to HHKB without extra powered hub, If I understand correctly